New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default a wizard's animated mansion

In a character of mine's backstory, they buy a large house with the profits of a successful robbery. The house was owned by a wizard. The wizard had (unbeknownst to me) animated it as a safety precaution. The mansion later decided that I had stolen it and drove me out. assuming this is a large mansion, what would the CR be, and what size type? Assume that the house is filled with loot and traps (due to my paranoia). What level would the caster who animated and awakened it be?
    "Now if you don't mind, I am somewhat preoccupied telling the laws of physics to shut up and sit down."

You know you're an epic wizard when you use a stilled silent extended quickened Gust of Wind spell to blow out the candles of your candle covered birthday cake.

Adventurers steal everything thats not nailed down. And what is. And the nails. After all, a bag full of nails can fetch a pretty penny. No doubt they'll weaponize it, too.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: a wizard's animated mansion

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    In a character of mine's backstory, they buy a large house with the profits of a successful robbery. The house was owned by a wizard. The wizard had (unbeknownst to me) animated it as a safety precaution. The mansion later decided that I had stolen it and drove me out. assuming this is a large mansion, what would the CR be, and what size type? Assume that the house is filled with loot and traps (due to my paranoia). What level would the caster who animated and awakened it be?
    It would be a Colossal Construct. Strictly by the book, you need a caster level of 32 in order to animate a CR 10, and animated objects have a pretty bland set of abilities here, so honestly I think you're better off just making stuff up. I would say giving it abilities depends entirely on if you want the house to attack people like it was a giant ox or if you want it to attack people inside - either way, a CR of 10-12ish does feel appropriate. I would say a wizard with the Craft Wondrous Items feat and access to Animate Objects can make it, which I think puts a Wizard at 11, a Sorc at 12, and a Bard at 16.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: a wizard's animated mansion

the house itself, and all objects inside (wardrobe, sheets, kitchen implements, etc.) is alive. All of it.
    "Now if you don't mind, I am somewhat preoccupied telling the laws of physics to shut up and sit down."

You know you're an epic wizard when you use a stilled silent extended quickened Gust of Wind spell to blow out the candles of your candle covered birthday cake.

Adventurers steal everything thats not nailed down. And what is. And the nails. After all, a bag full of nails can fetch a pretty penny. No doubt they'll weaponize it, too.