Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default [3.5] Metamagic Feat: Spell Engine

Spell Engine [Metamagic]

Prerequisite: Caster level 1st.

Benefit:

You may choose to expend multiple spell slots of a single level to create a virtual spell slot of one level higher. You must expend 3 spell slots of the lower level to create the higher level spell slot. For example, Mialee, a wizard, may choose to prepare 3 of her 0-level spells as a single 1st-level spell such as Magic Missile. You must be able to cast spells of the level of the virtual slot that you create. Virtual spell slots created via spell engine, and bonus spells granted through Wizard school specialization or Cleric domain access, may not be expended via Spell Engine.

Successive Spell Engine [Metamagic]

Prerequisites: Caster level 10th, Spell Engine

Benefit:

As Spell Engine, but virtual slots created via spell engine may be used to create more virtual slots, and you can apply Spell Engine multiple times per spell. For example, Haydyn, a sorceror, after numerous encounters, has 3 0-level spells left, 2 1st-level spells left, and 0 2nd-level spells left. He may expend his 3 0-level spells to create a 1st-level spell slot, and then use 3 1st-level spell slots to cast a single 2nd-level spell. As before, you must be able to cast spells at the final spell level created, and you cannot use spells granted via specialization or domain for Spell Engine.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Metamagic Feat: Spell Engine

I'm pretty sure there's already a feat that's much better than that, it's called Versatile Spell.

I can't find the damn book its in (too many books!), but I'm sure its in one of those draconic-y (Races of the Dragon, draconomicon, etc.) books. Basically you can convert two spell slots into one spell of the next level. As long as you can cast spells from said level.

Although, looking over it again, maybe you already know this, and maybe Versatile Spell only works for sorcerors and you were looking for a similar option for wizards. If so, I don't know why it should require three of the previous spell slot, two seems reasonable enough.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Krazddndfreek View Post
    Although, looking over it again, maybe you already know this, and maybe Versatile Spell only works for sorcerors and you were looking for a similar option for wizards. If so, I don't know why it should require three of the previous spell slot, two seems reasonable enough.
    Most likely it requires 3 because a wizard can prepare different spells, as opposed to being limited to the same spells known; trading out 6 1st-level spells for 2 2nd-level spells is a great trade if those are 2 more options that you didn't have before rather than repeats of existing options.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm not even sure if Versatile Spell is only usable by sorcerers (or other spontaneous), it could just as well work for spellcasters who have to prepare, I'm not sure, I'd have to find the book, but I can't seem to find it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Krazddndfreek View Post
    I'm not even sure if Versatile Spell is only usable by sorcerers (or other spontaneous), it could just as well work for spellcasters who have to prepare, I'm not sure, I'd have to find the book, but I can't seem to find it.
    You require spontaneous casting to take it, but it never says you can only use it with spontaneous slots. Many DMs would probably rule that the prerequisites mean only spontaneous casters can use it, but I just think it makes a prepared/spontaneous multiclass more interesting.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this