New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Stupid Question

1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

MonkGuy

Default Stupid Question

Do ability bonus from magical items stack? I once had a character with a belt of giant strength and gauntlets of ogre strength and my friend told me the bonuses don't stack. I just wanted to see if he was right.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Stupid Question

They're both enhancement bonuses, and do not stack. If you somehow got an item that gave a sacred bonus to Strength, it would stack.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Read this section, and pay heed to the types of bonuses that your items grant you.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/thebasics.htm#stacking

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Your friend is right. Named bonuses of the same type to the same thing don't stack. There are two exeptions that I'm aware of.

The first exception is the armor bonus granted by armor, and the armor bonus granted by shields. They stack. Note this only applies to 3.0 though- in 3.5, shields provide a shield bonus

The other exception is Dodge bonuses, which all stack with other Dodge bonuses.

Also note unnamed and/or untyped bonuses all stack with each other and everything else.

So if you're wearing a belt that grants a +2 enhancement bonus to Strength, and gloves that grant a +4 enhancement bonus to Strength, then you'd effectively only get the bonus from the gloves because they're both providing the same type of bonus to the same thing, but the gloves provide a larger bonus, so you use that one. Now if you traded your gloves for a pair that provided a +4 enhancement bonus to Dexterity, then you'd gain the benefit from them AND the belt's +2 to Strength, because even though they're providing the same type of bonus, they're affecting different things.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

A little more info: AC bonus from shields are now actually named "Shield bonus to AC", so it's easier to remember that it stacks with "Armor bonus to AC".

Yes, all dodge bonus stacks.

The bonus from the gauntlets and the belt doesn't stack. However, there's a minor artifact, Hammer of Thunderbolts, whose one of it's abilities is to let a Gantlets of Ogre Power and a Girdle of Giant Strentgh to actually stack.

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."