New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [4E] Poisons & PCs

In my 4E campaign, a new player is coming in with a 9th level Rogue - and he wants to use poisons.

Now, I hadn't given the poison rules a close look before, so I thought it'd be a good idea to ask around about them.

Summary of Poison Rules
    Spoiler
    Show
    It takes a standard action to apply poison to a weapon. That poison is triggered by the next successful hit and is used up. At the longest, an applied poison lasts for an Encounter or 5 minutes - whichever comes first.

Making poisons requires a different Alchemy Ritual for each poison

Now, this doesn't seem too bad, but the player also wants an AV2 item - the Poison Glove:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Poison Gloves

You can store a nasty surprise in these plain-looking gloves to
    envenom a weapon at a moment’s notice.

Level: 4
    Price: 840 gp
    Item Slot: Hands

Power (At-Will): Standard. You store one dose of poison that can be
    applied to a weapon in these gloves. The gloves can hold only one dose
    of poison at a time.

Power (At-Will): Minor. You apply the stored poison to a weapon you’re
    holding; doing so consumes that dose of poison.

This means he can store a poison in the gloves indefinitely, and then use it as a minor action. Admittedly, it is only 1 dose at a time, but since this upgrades a given attack to an Ongoing Damage + Status attack, I worry.

So I'm proposing the following Houserules
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1) There are only 3 Brew Poison Rituals - Brew Heroic, Brew Paragon, and Brew Epic. All Poison Rituals require the use of Venom Reagents and no other. All Brew Potion Rituals take 30 minutes to produce 1 dose of poison.

(2) Venom Reagents are the odds & ends needed to turn natural (and unnatural) poisons into substances potent enough (and sticky enough) to be used on weapons. They are non-magical and, because of their nature, not available in legal markets.

Someone Trained in Nature may harvest Venom Reagents from monsters that have a Poison attack. If you make a DC 20+1/2(Monster Level) check, you get Venom Reagents worth 1/5 of the cost of a Poison of the Monster's Level.

(3) A brewed poison must be stored in a tightly stoppered container that takes a minor action to open. Once exposed to air, the poison decays within 5 minutes (or at the end of the Encounter) if not used beforehand. Even within a vial, a poison loses potency after 24 hours (or after an Extended Rest).

A decayed poison may be harvested for Venom Reagents within 6 hours of the time of decay. Harvesting in this fashion requires a DC 15+1/2(Poison Level) Nature check (Trained Only) and it recovers 1/5th of the Poison's cost.

How's that sound? And does anyone have experience with players using poison in a game?
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [4E] Poisons & PCs

It will take up his hands slot. I would rule that he must keep the gloves on to keep the dose stored inside.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

They seem reasonable enough to me. Not sure exactly why you've got three poison brewing rituals, but it's still reasonable. It should be noted that a poison-focused character has to spend extra money to deal that extra damage... which makes sense.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    How's that sound? And does anyone have experience with players using poison in a game?
    I find that pretty much all of them are too ineffective for their cost, so obviating this by harvesting it from monsters sounds like a good idea.

Furthermore, it is only rarely worth a standard action in combat to apply poison to a weapon, so I don't think the gloves are overpowered at all.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    They seem reasonable enough to me. Not sure exactly why you've got three poison brewing rituals, but it's still reasonable. It should be noted that a poison-focused character has to spend extra money to deal that extra damage... which makes sense.
    Basically because I like having more Rituals

Also, because the original Poison Rituals required a different Ritual for each kind of poison - which struck me as a bit excessive, all things considered. So I changed it from N Rituals to 1 per Tier. Ideally, if this turns out to be a fun thing, I might introduce other Rituals like "Speed Brewing" (takes 15 minutes instead of 30) and the like.

EDIT: The reason why I was concerned about the power of poisons is that they can turn any attack into something much more powerful. Yes, there is a gold cost, but allowing a Rogue to turn any attack into a +Sleep attack worried me (See Drow Poison )
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2009-10-27 at 12:12 PM.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad