New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Etymology of Vancian casting

I understand that Vancian casting is the type of magic used by casters who have a daily alloted spells/level.

I've never been clear on how the name was derived. Where does 'Vancian' come from, and does it have any meaning outside of the context of D&D?

(If such is a real-world philosophical or religious term, or otherwise something that could make discussion contrary to forum rules, please PM me a wikipedia article or something.)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Etymology of Vancian casting

It's derived from Jack Vance, who first introduced it in his books.
    Last edited by Morty; 2009-10-27 at 03:40 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Indeed, as Morty says, it's the system invented by Jack Vance. Though in his Dying Earth series, the spells are much more awesome than the D&D ones.
    Dr. Manhattan+tiny Rorshach Avatar by drKarling, much appreciated.
    The Deductive Adventures of Rex Kingdom, P.I. is an awful parody detective serial.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

*cough*Zelaznian*cough*

From wikipedia (on Vance's Dying Earth series:

The magic system used in Dungeons & Dragons (in which a wizard is limited in the number of spells that can be simultaneously remembered and forgets them once they are cast) was based on the magic of Dying Earth. Some of the spells from D&D are based on spells mentioned in the Dying Earth series, notably the prismatic spray. Similarly, magic items from the Dying Earth stories such as ioun stones also made their way into Dungeons & Dragons. One of the deities of magic in Dungeons & Dragons is named Vecna (an anagram of Vance).
    However, the newer (well, 3.5 newer, not 4e) idea of preparing spells, not memorizing and forgetting them, is similar to Zelazny's Amber series (later parts), where a spell was basically pre-cast, leaving off some somatic and/or material things, for example, and "hung" to be available to complete and finish casting when needed.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tamburlaine View Post
    Indeed, as Morty says, it's the system invented by Jack Vance. Though in his Dying Earth series, the spells are much more awesome than the D&D ones.
    Yeah, like the 'swirl ever faster on your own axis until the centrifugal force causes you to explode in a shower of gore' one. The stories might not go anywhere, but the Dying Earth has some shiny FX.

@v: I see the perfidious cetacean lobby have been throwing their weight around again...
    Last edited by bosssmiley; 2009-10-27 at 07:29 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by huttj509 View Post
    *cough*Zelaznian*cough*

However, the newer (well, 3.5 newer, not 4e) idea of preparing spells, not memorizing and forgetting them, is similar to Zelazny's Amber series (later parts), where a spell was basically pre-cast, leaving off some somatic and/or material things, for example, and "hung" to be available to complete and finish casting when needed.
    You know, I've read both series several times, and played truckloads of DnD, but I never made that connection before. Huh.

Bosssmiley, while I concede that Phandaal's Gyrator is fabulous, The Excellent Prismatic Spray is my favourite. As I recall, the description from the rpg was "Instantly kills any one creature smaller than a whale". Nice.
    Dr. Manhattan+tiny Rorshach Avatar by drKarling, much appreciated.
    The Deductive Adventures of Rex Kingdom, P.I. is an awful parody detective serial.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by huttj509 View Post
    The fluff is different, however both of them are based on the Wizard having a limited number of spells per day and needing to think about what spells he needs beforehand, so the mechanics in game end up being pretty much the same. Plus, Vancian has a history with the game (and I personally think it sounds better than Zelaznian, despite the copious amounts of Z's).
    Last edited by AshDesert; 2009-10-27 at 07:15 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kazrasa View Post
    Plus, Vancian has a history with the game
    Technically, both do; the "Inspirational Reading" section at the back of the 1e DMG lists both Vance, Jack. THE EYES OF THE OVERWORLD, THE DYING EARTH, et al. and Zelazny, Roger. JACK OF SHADOWS; "Amber" Series; et al. However, 1e/2e definitely match Vance better where 3e matches Zelazny better--and of course there's no Greyhawk god whose name is an anagram of Zelazny.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this