New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Consequences of Bending the Graft Rules [3.5]

So, the Graft rules presented in Races of the Dragon and Magic of Eberron (which I believe to be the newest graft rules, overriding or modding previous ones) state that you cannot have grafts from two sources. Simply put, do you see any balance-related reasons for this? Do you think it would break anything to put, for example, elemental grafts and plant grafts on the same body? If so, why? (Hell, the character I'm considering doing this to, assuming I can convince my GM to bend the rules, is a Warforged anyway... if we've already added dwagon parts, why can't we add Undead parts too?)

Remember, we're looking for problematic interactions between different flavors of grafts. Problematic single grafts (I don't think any are too problematic except maybe the ones in the FF) are different.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Consequences of Bending the Graft Rules [3.5]

I vaguely remember there either being errata or an FAQ ruling where they mentioned that the newer graft rules do not override the older graft rules. So illithid and fiendish grafts can go hand and hand, but if you go dragon, you don't go back.

Personally, I don't remember there being any grafts that were OMGmazing nor any combos that screamed auto-win, so doing away with that rule is probably fine, from a balance perspective.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    "See these cookies? Note how while good they taste sort of bland. Now try these, they're the same cookies but with chocolate chips added. Notice how with the second batch we expended slightly more ingredients but dramatically enhanced the flavor? That's metamagic."
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Seriously, can we kill this misconception now? A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He shops for precisely what he means to.

Winner of Junkyard Wars 31.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't see any particular issues with it - if balance is a prime issue, it could be made one of the benefits of a home-brewed feat, or a class feature for a graft-focused PrC. Certainly for a graft-focused character such as a fleshwarper, you would quickly run out of grafts from any single race.

And ya know what irritates me? The fleshwarper specifically states that it was designed so that an adept could enter it at 6th, but Graft Flesh requires 10 ranks in Heal, so the earliest an adept could enter it would be 9th.
    Handbooks: (Hosted on the new MixMax forums)
    [3.5] The Poison Handbook
    [3.5] (New) Master of Shrouds Handbook
    [3.5 Base Class] Healer's Handbook

Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Strategos and Jumilk for the awesome Iron Chef trophies!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I just pretend the rule doesn't exist, considering it invalidates my #1 ultimate favorite PrC of all time, the Fleshwarper.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Magic of Eberron specifies that the new rules within don't apply to the grafts that came before. Really they're a separate type of items with the same name because WotC didn't have a thesaurus handy.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Magic of Eberron, page 126
    (The rulespresented here might deviate from those of the grafts presented in other books. These rules apply only to the grafts in this book, and not to any other form of graft previously introduced.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Races of the Dragon, page 126
    The draconic grafts in this book have the following rules in common. (These follow the revised graft rules presented in Magic of Eberron.)
    So it's clear that they wanted those two books to use the same rules. (Hey, they even used the same page number!)

7. - Top - End - #7

When the rules prevent you from doing something reasonable and cool, they aren't doing their job.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PlzBreakMyCmpAn View Post
    When the rules prevent you from doing something reasonable and cool, they aren't doing their job.
    yes, yes they are.

It's Cool and resonsable to summon sharks at your max range, veritally about your enemies heads, it's also against the rules.
    Why? because this puts you at almost quadruple the max damage, of any equivient spell at that spell lvl>
    (druids on average (from core atleast)'s best damage spells are 1d6 / 2 CLs, Summon monster IV bombing come out at ...well I'm to otired to equate falliong damage to CL, ....)
    There is nothing on earth that we share; it is either Valjean or Javert!

"A wizard can in fact be thought of the custodian to a familiar, a terrifying beast that charges its foes, slashing them to shreds while delivering their master's touch spells and bestowing upon their masters incredible bonuses to their hp or skill checks. A wizard is nearly powerless without one."

Need to find a God? or Spell or Feat?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Reasonable also implies it's not broken.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

The only possible problem I could see with combining different types of grafts would come if you add every possible graft to the same person (as I did for a graft-happy BBEG necromancer of mine). They'd look ridiculous! No one would ever take them seriously! Rules-wise, it isn't really an issue; the BBEG's not powerful because of the grafts (just weird), he's powerful because he's a wizard with a few extra perks.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this