New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default [3.5] poison use feats?

Hi guys,

Does anyone know which sourcebook contains the "Poison Use" feat, which allows a character to use poisons without accidentally poisoning himself? I could've sworn I read it somewhere, but can't find it in the Book of Vile Deeds...

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: [3.5] poison use feats?

Quote Originally Posted by ghostaxe View Post
    Hi guys,

Does anyone know which sourcebook contains the "Poison Use" feat, which allows a character to use poisons without accidentally poisoning himself? I could've sworn I read it somewhere, but can't find it in the Book of Vile Deeds...
    Unsure. Possibly Drow of Underdark.

Personally wouldn't spend a feat on it. There are other options for safeguarding yourself while applying poisons that do not cost a feat, such as an Eternal Wand of Unseen Servant.

3. - Top - End - #3

wouldnt be surprised if there werent a slew of them in drow of the underdark.

That said, its the general consensus that poison is too ineffective and far too costly to invest feats in, unless you are going to start putting some homebrewed fixes in..

EDIT: evil, evil ninjas..
    Last edited by daggaz; 2009-10-28 at 07:12 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Hi guys,

I am not aware of a feat for it, but it's a class ability of the Assasin (PrC, in the DMG) and a few others.

Edit: Oh, and Ninjas. Don't forget Ninjas.

If you want to make heavy use of poisons, though, you'll want Craft(Poison), and either Minor Creation or a one-level dip in Psion(Shaper) for Minor Creation, Psionic.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2009-10-28 at 07:16 AM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Take a look in drow of the Underdark. there is an ACF for rogues allowing it (lose trapfinding), and more important, the MAster of Poisons feat, allowing to poison the weapons as swift action without risk of poisoning yourself.

If you want ways to increase your poison CD and your PC has Sneak Attack, ask me (in thread or by PM).
    Warning: my time zone and internet acces may lead to strange/late post answers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The rogue isn't really using charisma in melee, the rogue is applying Ability Score #6 to his Type-One attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken-do-nim View Post
    DMing is how you turn D&D from a game into a hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    Players can see a story where there isn't one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    For 4.0? I expect them to whine to the DM until he makes the big bad boogeyman go away.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boa...p?topic=4854.0

Poison Handbook.
    Wonderful resource.

7. - Top - End - #7

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh's Fist View Post
    Unsure. Possibly Drow of Underdark.

Personally wouldn't spend a feat on it. There are other options for safeguarding yourself while applying poisons that do not cost a feat, such as an Eternal Wand of Unseen Servant.
    Hm... my character concept is a guy who makes lots of poisons. I'm not sure you're allowed to Craft using Unseen Servant...

The BoVD guidelines are actually pretty good for poison making... the cost of the raw materials are only 1/6 the market price, so it's something like 30gp for a dose of 1d6 STR/1d6 STR poison, with Injury DC 18... that's pretty good for a low-level campaign.

It also scales decently well to mid levels. Dragon Bile, from the DMG, is 3d6 STR poison, with Contact DC 26, for 1500gp. One sixth of that is 250gp. For a ranged character, where you put poisons on different arrows with rapid shot, a ranger 6 could shoot out 3 arrows in a round for 750 gp, and do a potential 9d6 STR damage. Assuming your target isn't immune to poison, this is quite effective against bosses.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Drow of the underdark had a feat that allowed you to apply poison as a swift action with no chance of hurting yourself. Complete scoundrel/adventurer had some feats for making posion stronger.

9. - Top - End - #9

Hm... my character concept is a guy who makes lots of poisons. I'm not sure you're allowed to Craft using Unseen Servant...
    I meant for applying the poison.

10. - Top - End - #10

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Take a look in drow of the Underdark. there is an ACF for rogues allowing it (lose trapfinding), and more important, the MAster of Poisons feat, allowing to poison the weapons as swift action without risk of poisoning yourself.

If you want ways to increase your poison CD and your PC has Sneak Attack, ask me (in thread or by PM).
    Thanks for your help! That's exactly what I needed.

11. - Top - End - #11

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Gilded Duke View Post
    http://brilliantgameologists.com/boa...p?topic=4854.0

Poison Handbook.
    Wonderful resource.
    Wow, this is really good, thanks!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by daggaz View Post
    wouldnt be surprised if there werent a slew of them in drow of the underdark.

That said, its the general consensus that poison is too ineffective and far too costly to invest feats in, unless you are going to start putting some homebrewed fixes in..

EDIT: evil, evil ninjas..

Well, just take the feat from the Psionic Handbook that gives you two power points and any one first level power of your choice. Take minor creation.

edit: Oops. Ninjaed.

But yeah, the feat is better than a level dip.
    Last edited by Pika...; 2009-10-28 at 07:47 AM.
    I just want someone to hold me and tell me they love me. Especially when I am sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Skami Pilno View Post
    The man who is dominated by fear of death is already dead.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Plot and Poison i think?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Also be sure to use some of the amazing poisons found within Dungeonscape and Complete Scoundrel.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

*Cheers!* Yay, Gilded Duke linked my handbook before I had the chance to plug myself!

Plot and Poison (Green Ronin) does have a Poison Use feat if I recall, but the Drow of the Underdark version is superior, both because it is WoTC and because it allows you to apply poisons as a swift action rather than a standard action.

And personally, my view is that poisons can have a huge payoff for a little investment, but as others have pointed out, their use can diminish over time as higher level creatures are either immune or have ridiculous fortitude saving throws.
    Handbooks: (Hosted on the new MixMax forums)
    [3.5] The Poison Handbook
    [3.5] (New) Master of Shrouds Handbook
    [3.5 Base Class] Healer's Handbook

Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Strategos and Jumilk for the awesome Iron Chef trophies!

16. - Top - End - #16

The feat in BoVD just gives immunity to one type of poison and a +1 bonus against others

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Malbolge View Post
    Listen to the Crafy one. He speaks the truth, except when he doesn't which may still be the truth hidden behind a veil of crafty craftiness.

Or something.