Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Winter Wolf Mount?

I'm playing a 3.5 Eberron Campaign with a Half-Orc Ranger. When I get high enough level I'm taking the Totem Companion feat(I have the reqs already) to get a magical creature companion. As you may guess from title, I wanted know, since its a large creature would it be possible to use it as a mount? I may sound stupid to some, but I don't have a PHB handy, so I need to ask someone. And if you do think its stupid of me to ask, you don't have to say so.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Winter Wolf Mount?

Yes, although the winter wolf would still require some formal training to be a competent one.
    Also, you'd need an exotic saddle, and armor for your winter wolf mount will cost 4x the standard listed prices in the players' handbook, due to increased size and exotic armor dimensions.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

As far as I know, if you are allowed to take the wolf as companion, nothing in the rules forbids you to use it as a mount. Since you are a ranger, I guess you are expected to respect your companion, but using it as a mount does not mean treat it badly.

You are an orc, so you are medium I guess. For mediaum PC you need large mounts. Take an exotic saddle and you are ok I think.

Of course, when you gain levels, it will improve its animal companion features, not taking the ones of, say, paladin special mounts.

Aaand.. dont' be afraid to ask. BTW, your question seems to me perfetly reasonable.
    Warning: my time zone and internet acces may lead to strange/late post answers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The rogue isn't really using charisma in melee, the rogue is applying Ability Score #6 to his Type-One attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken-do-nim View Post
    DMing is how you turn D&D from a game into a hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    Players can see a story where there isn't one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    For 4.0? I expect them to whine to the DM until he makes the big bad boogeyman go away.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I just wanted to chime in and say that it's not out of line for a ranger to use his animal companion as a mount. After all, horse and riding dog are both on the list!
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Are you allowed Dragon mag stuff? I know a few feats that may get you ready to ride sooner.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Thanks for the info. As far as I know we only use the standard 3.5 source books, Dragon Mag rules have never come up. Our DM lets us use any official source book, so long as its applicable within reason in the Eberron setting, such as only Daelkry Half-Bloods being able to take any of the Illithid Heritage feats from Complete Psionics.

One of the reasons for a mount is that its to support his back ground, as during the Last War he was working (he has the Mark of Finding) in the high moutain and snowy regions, because the War seemed to be a bit too much of a bother to him, and he meet a Winter Wolf (whose name will be either "Coldfang", "Icejaw" or "Wintson Wolfsenburg") who he later meets again, this time becoming his companion (due to the Totem Companion feat as previously mentioned). I just wanted to know if its possible, so that I could plan my feat progression accordingly.

Again, thanks for the help and any advice

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

The DMG has the following guidelines.
    These are of course, still subject to DM approval and are therefore not a guarantee of what your DM will let you take. Note the opening clause. Emphasis mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by DMG, p. 204
    Suitable Mounts: You [the DM] have the final decision on what is or is
    not a suitable mount.
    At its most basic level, a mount should have
    the following characteristics:
    • Able and willing to carry its rider in a typical fashion. (A camel
    is able and willing. A tiger might be capable but may not be
    willing. A giant might be willing but not truly able.)
    • At least one size category larger than the character. Also, a
    flying mount can carry no more than a light load aloft.
    • The mount’s Challenge Rating should be no more than 3 less
    than the rider’s character level. If the mount can fly, its
    Challenge Rating should be no more than 4 less than the rider’s
    character level.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

Arcane Casting + Obtain Familiar (CA) + Improved Familiar (CW) = Winter Wolf

9. - Top - End - #9

Yeah, sure, you can ride it. It's Large and, with an 18 Str (before animal companion bonuses) ought to be able to carry you without being too badly encumbered. My own character's core concept is a half-orc ranger/barbarian who rides his dire wolf animal companion. Kind of Mongol horse-archer type, except with a big freakin' wolf.

One thing I'd check, though... I'm not familiar with the details of the feat that gets you the winter wolf animal companion, but some of the effects that let a druid or ranger treat a Magical Beast as if it were an Animal in some circumstance require it to be a Magical Beast with an Int of 1 or 2, and winter wolves have a 9 Int.

I recommend taking Natural Bond and a one-level dip in Beastmaster, if you can. Otherwise, ranger animal companion progression is so slow that, when you get into higher levels, your animal companion will be too fragile to be hanging around the fights you're in.
    Play your character, not your alignment.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Oh I understand that its the DM's decision. I know that the DM has final say, I'm just trying to stack the odds in my favour by showing evidence to support my use.

11. - Top - End - #11

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Chrono22 View Post
    Yes, although the winter wolf would still require some formal training to be a competent one.
    Does this apply to non-animal Intelligence mounts? Because a normal Winter Wolf has an INT of 9.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Somebody that pisses off a Warlock is going to go down fast. But with a Warlock, death will be a mercy because the Warlock is a secondary controller, and en route to killing you he'll first cripple you, then blind you, then set you on fire, then steal your girlfriend.
    "There is no overkill, there is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'" - Howard Tayler

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Which source book is the Beastmaster in?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfang108 View Post
    Does this apply to non-animal Intelligence mounts? Because a normal Winter Wolf has an INT of 9.
    I believe, as per a discussion in a previous thread, it even applies to appropriately shape-shifted Player-Characters.

The idea of taking a week of downtime so the fighter and the druid can learn how to ride each other properly in combat is, in my opinion, adorable.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Fraggranark View Post
    I'm playing a 3.5 Eberron Campaign with a Half-Orc Ranger. When I get high enough level I'm taking the Totem Companion feat(I have the reqs already) to get a magical creature companion. As you may guess from title, I wanted know, since its a large creature would it be possible to use it as a mount? I may sound stupid to some, but I don't have a PHB handy, so I need to ask someone. And if you do think its stupid of me to ask, you don't have to say so.
    My first thought: Dear gods, get a riding blanket or you'll never have children.

My second thought: I'd let it work, but keep in mind that a Winter Wolf mount is going to be extremely different than riding a horse, or even a goblin on wolfback. While the WW will USUALLY respond as a mount would, it will also have its own ideas about what should be done and such; I'd say giving it commands would be a Diplomacy check more than a ride check (with a good bonus, since you are friendly).

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    The idea of taking a week of downtime so the fighter and the druid can learn how to ride each other properly in combat is, in my opinion, adorable.
    Bow-chicka-wow-wow
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Two Tales of Tellene, available from DriveThruFiction
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Avatar is from local user Mehangel
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

15. - Top - End - #15

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    My first thought: Dear gods, get a riding blanket or you'll never have children.

[stuff]

Bow-chicka-wow-wow
    1.) Good point. Those things be cold.

2.) I'm just glad I wasn't the only one thinking that. I think I need to stop reading the Malazan books for a little while. Thankfully, I have some light reading lined up: book 12 of the WoT. (About $$$$ed time, too.)
    Somebody that pisses off a Warlock is going to go down fast. But with a Warlock, death will be a mercy because the Warlock is a secondary controller, and en route to killing you he'll first cripple you, then blind you, then set you on fire, then steal your girlfriend.
    "There is no overkill, there is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'" - Howard Tayler

16. - Top - End - #16

Which source book is the Beastmaster in?
    Complete Adventurer.
    Play your character, not your alignment.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Thanks for all the help. I've started making a character incase I get a chance to use him, since when I hear about another PrC I have to design one just for a the hell of it. A Kobold Ranger. anyone know any feats to gain access to alternative Animal Companion lists?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Dragon Mag #326. You get to pick from a small list of magical beasts/ aberrations in addition to the normal ones available.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Exalted Companion (BoED) you can select celestial animals and some good aligned magical beasts.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

20. - Top - End - #20

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydos View Post
    Exalted Companion (BoED) you can select celestial animals and some good aligned magical beasts.
    Unfortunately, the Winter Wolf is Evil.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks for all the help. I've started making a character incase I get a chance to use him, since when I hear about another PrC I have to design one just for a the hell of it. A Kobold Ranger. anyone know any feats to gain access to alternative Animal Companion lists?
    Unless your DM houserules your druid level for animal companion to something useful, using both a single level beastmaster dip and natural bond are not so much an option as a prerequisite for getting a combat viable animal companion at level 10+ for a ranger (which is why I personally think it should be houseruled).

Without houserules or beastmaster you end up spending 2 feats on an animal companion which has a fraction of your HD and laughable saves at high level ... do you really want to call a new one after each combat?
    Last edited by PinkysBrain; 2009-10-30 at 09:51 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

But ... this ... is ... EBERRON!

23. - Top - End - #23

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by pres_man View Post
    But ... this ... is ... EBERRON!
    That doesn't mean he's automatically good. It just means there's a marginally higher chance that he's not evil.

24. - Top - End - #24

Ussually.
    Ussually mean > 50%

Lots of scope for non-Evil Winter Wolves.

Stephen E
    Last edited by Stephen_E; 2009-10-31 at 06:05 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground

Generally, it doesn't apply. Per the DMG, any creature with an Int of 3 or higher no longer qualifies as an "animal" for the purposes of Handle Animal. You use Diplomacy to ask it if it wants to serve as a mount. However, there are several exceptions. Pegasi and Griffons have higher than animal intelligence, but the MM specifies that they need to be trained to accept a rider or serve as a mount.

It's really up to the DM. I can see that some might say any naturally wild free-willed creature with an Int of 3 or higher might need something more of a Diplomacy role to serve as a mount.

As for the Half-Orc Ranger, Leadership to pick up the Winter Wolf as a cohort would probably work. It has an ECL of 9, so it wouldn't be available until the character was 11th level. Sword of the Arcane Order (not really Eb but too darned cool not to be) + Obtain Familiar + Improved Familiar might work, but Leadership is much simpler... and a familiar with an ECL of 9 would require a fairly high caster level.

Beast Heart Adept (from Dungeonscape) also offers Winter Wolf as a Monstrous Companion. You could get that at ECL 8... Ranger 5/Beast Heart Adept 3.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Getting Winter wolf via Ranger and Sword of the Arcane Order is pretty steep, since you need CL 7, which is level 14 for the Ranger without Practiced Spellcaster. With Practiced Spellcaster, you could pick it up at 7th, when you meet the BAB requirement of +7.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

Why not just ask the DM if you can take Leadership and take the Winter Wolf as a cohort?