New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Default [4E] Some Rituals my players want

So, one of my PCs (the wizard, named "Berry" for short) just found out that there's a contract out on his life. The party has already had to fight off assassins twice, and are about to start tracking down the person who put out the contract, so they come up with the following plan:

- Disguise Berry, so he won't attract attention as they travel to the town where the assassins are based out of
    - disguise the body of one of the assassins they defeated as Berry, and spread the word that they killed him, and want to collect the reward.

In order to do this, they were hoping to use rituals (one to disguise Berry to look like...anyone, and one to disguise the dead assassin to look like him). This seems reasonable to me, however I don't have a really good feel for the level/cost/duration that this ritual should be. We came up with some rough ad-hoc rules at the end of the last session, but I was wondering if anyone else had a better idea of what these should look like?

Thanks!

----Edit----
    the PCs are all 10th level at the moment, if that helps.
    Last edited by Hzurr; 2009-10-29 at 03:26 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [4E] Some Rituals my players want

Have it require the whole group to do it...they each have to sac 10 temp hp, and torch the body of a (something fun that would extend the session) in a fire and each of them have to pay a total of 1500 gp for the other stuff required...also the assassin should have a mark on his body face or chest or other wise and this feller who is disguising himself has to carry that mark forever.

Ritual failure:

Shockwave knocking them off thier feet...killing the two who were in the ritual..the others have to roll a check to see if any shrapnel gets them.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadwen View Post
    Ritual failure:

Shockwave knocking them off thier feet...killing the two who were in the ritual..the others have to roll a check to see if any shrapnel gets them.
    Yeah, that's not really how rituals are supposed to work in 4E.

The easiest method is probably to take a potion of mimicry (level 7) or a hat of disguise (level 10). If you really want rituals, then the closest match are the hallucinatory ones in the PHB, so that would be ~2000gp for the book, ~200gp per usage, duration of 24 hours, and everyone who sees the illusion gets to make an insight check to see what's really there.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadwen View Post
    Snip
    Um, this is D&D 4e. Not any other 4e out there.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

If Berry only needs to be disguised for about an hour each day, he's got the Disguise Self level 6 utility power available to him.

However, you want a ritual for this, which I think is reasonable for long-term abilities and illusions. I'm basically building this one ad-hoc based on Disguise Self and Hallucinatory Item. Hallucinatory Item, as-is, should cover disguising a corpse as Berry.

Extended Disguise Self
    You create a disguise for yourself that improves your ability to hide among others for an extended period of time.

Level: 6
    Component Cost: 50 gp, Special
    Market Price: 360 gp
    Key Skill: Arcana
    Category: Deception
    Duration: Varies (see text)

You make yourself and perhaps others appear different, as per the power Disguise Self (Wizard Utility 6, PHB 162). The duration of the effect and number of participants affected depends on your Arcana check, as below. Each affected participant can choose their altered appearance individually, and can end the effect on themselves as a minor action. Using this ritual requires at least one participant in the ritual to expend a use of the Disguise Self Utility power.

{table=head]Arcana Check Result|Effect
    9 or lower|1 hour, can alter one participant
    10-19|6 hours, can alter two participants
    20-29|12 hours, can alter four participants
    30-39|24 hours, can alter six participants
    40 or higher|Permanent until dispelled, can alter all participants[/table]
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2009-10-29 at 03:56 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Judicious application of the Heal skill can probably be used to surgically alter the corpse, and if he can find some means of getting a long-term mundane disguise he can pull it off fairly easily for cheap.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Find an assassin corpse with a similar build, dress him in the wizard's identifying clothes, blunt instrument to the face.
    Now with half the calories!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    If Berry only needs to be disguised for about an hour each day, he's got the Disguise Self level 6 utility power available to him.

However, you want a ritual for this, which I think is reasonable for long-term abilities and illusions. I'm basically building this one ad-hoc based on Disguise Self and Hallucinatory Item. Hallucinatory Item, as-is, should cover disguising a corpse as Berry.

Extended Disguise Self
    You create a disguise for yourself that improves your ability to hide among others for an extended period of time.

You make yourself and perhaps others appear different, as per the power Disguise Self (Wizard Utility 6, PHB 162). The duration of the effect and number of participants affected depends on your Arcana check, as below. Each affected participant can choose their altered appearance individually, and can end the effect on themselves as a minor action. Using this ritual requires at least one participant in the ritual to expend a use of the Disguise Self Utility power.

My name is Joseph Silver, and I approve of this ritual.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by The New Bruceski View Post
    Find an assassin corpse with a similar build, dress him in the wizard's identifying clothes, blunt instrument to the face.
    I support this.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by The New Bruceski View Post
    Actually, we've already got those. Two of the assassins we killed were eladrin, and one conveniently had his head bitten off by a grell.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post

Extended Disguise Self

Hmm...I like this. This is just about exactly what I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall
    Actually, we've already got those. Two of the assassins we killed were eladrin, and one conveniently had his head bitten off by a grell.
    Yep. Good times...