New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Arcane Dilettante and Quicken Spell-Like Ability

In the Playground's opinion, does Arcane Dilettante count as a single spell-like ability for the purposes of Quicken Spell-Like Ability, or would each individual spell you prepare be a separate spell-like for the purposes of the feat?

The ability is listed with a handy (Sp) next to it, which seems to indicate that the entire ability is spell-like, but I'm not sure if it's just intended to be like the "Spell-like abilities:" section monsters get.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Arcane Dilettante and Quicken Spell-Like Ability

I believe AD covers how metamagic works directly in the section in Dungeonscape. So no, it doesn't, look at the last paragraph describing it.
    You live in your world and I'll live in mine. Invade my world and I'll go medieval on your subconscious tookus.

Do not mistake my inaction for fear or doubt, if I desire you to hang yourself by your own rope why should I hasten the inevitable?

Do not underestimate me, for I have not underestimated you...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quicken Spell-Like Ability isn't a metamagic feat. There's no reason to think rules applying to metamagic apply to Quicken Spell-Like Ability.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Arcane Dilettante is a single spell-like ability. Quicken/Widen/etc Spell-Like Ability feats would work similarly to the Sudden metamagic feats (only more than 1/day). Which isn't totally out of line, because factotums tend to be considerably less powerful than mages even so.

I noticed this some time ago; it's a nice trick to have up your sleeve.