New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Furry Dragons

1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Furry Dragons

ok, no actual fur, this is more about changing the classification of dragons than changing their appearance.

There are mammals that fly.
    There are mammals that lay eggs.
    There are mammals that look scaly.

There are no warm blooded reptiles (as far as I know)
    There are no reptiles that have the classic dragon body design (reptile hips generally don't work that way [dinosaurs not withstanding]) let alone the frequent almost catlike body.
    There is virtually no way for a reptile to ever live in the arctic, I don't care what it's standard body temp is.

Dragons, in some ways, make more sense as inexplicably scaly and huge monotremes than reptiles.
    Is it a legacy thing? Why not have dragons be mammals rather than reptiles?

Edit: for that matter they could also be avians with very tough feathers....
    Last edited by Prak; 2009-10-30 at 04:13 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Furry Dragons

Actually, what you're sounding like is dinosaurs, though there were no flying dinosaurs.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

3. - Top - End - #3

...They are. They're explicitly warm-blooded (Draconomicon), despite any seemingly reptilian features.

Last edited by Sinfire Titan; 2009-10-30 at 04:18 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

this is true.

I can't remember why pterosaurs aren't considered dinosaurs.

There's also the fact that if dragons are mammals, people can shut up about Dragonborn and half dragon anatomy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfire Titan View Post
    ...They are. They're explicitly warm-blooded (Draconomicon), despite any seemingly reptilian features.
    did Draconomicon explicitly state that Dragons are mammals?
    Last edited by Prak; 2009-10-30 at 04:18 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

... Yes, but there aren't any reptiles, mammals, or dinosaurs with six limbs or a breath weapon.
    My latest homebrew: Majokko base class and Spellcaster Dilettante feats for D&D 3.5 and Races as Classes for PTU.

Currently Playing
    Raiatari Eikibe - Ghostfoot's RHOD Righteous Resistance

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Prak View Post
    did Draconomicon explicitly state that Dragons are mammals?

Implied, not outright stated. It did say that they are not reptilian by any definition of the word.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Biologically speaking, reptiles are a rather poor classification since they're a paraphyletic group that basically consists of amniotes except mammals and birds. (translation: they're a catch all category for anything with a terrestially adapted egg that aren't not mammal or birds).

Of course, since dragons don't actually exist, it doesn't really matter what you classify them as.

8. - Top - End - #8

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Prak View Post
    I can't remember why pterosaurs aren't considered dinosaurs.
    They stand differently.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    ... Yes, but there aren't any reptiles, mammals, or dinosaurs with six limbs or a breath weapon.
    well, no, but there isn't magic either. Note the board we're in.
    Well, and I didn't mention the other possibility either, mostly because I'm not sure where I stand on it, dragons could be considered arthropods, but it would require a huge redesign, as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfire Titan
    Implied, not outright stated. It did say that they are not reptilian by any definition of the word.
    Interesting. Wish they'd said one way or the other...

Quote Originally Posted by nightwyrm
    Biologically speaking, reptiles are a rather poor classification since they're a paraphyletic group that basically consists of amniotes except mammals and birds. (translation: they're a catch all category for anything with a terrestially adapted egg that aren't not mammal or birds).
    I did not know that... interesting...
    Last edited by Prak; 2009-10-30 at 04:27 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by nightwyrm View Post
    They stand differently.
    interesting, I don't think I ever heard an actual expanation... and I was a dinosaur kid...

11. - Top - End - #11

BlackDragon

Forcing dragons into the reptiles group would be like forcing birds into the reptiles because birds evolved from dinosaurs which evolved from reptiles.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Forcing dragons into the reptiles group would be like forcing birds into the reptiles because birds evolved from dinosaurs which evolved from reptiles.
    it's the classic assumption, though. I sure as hell don't support it, at most I go with it out of inertia...

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

Pterosaurs and dinosaurs are closer related than almost anything else-

they are members of the clade Ornithodira- which basically is them, dinosaurs, and a very few "not quite dinosaurs" creatures like Lagosuchus.

Dinosaurs are monophyletic- everything that is a dinosaur, is descended from a "last common ancestor" which has all their traits- but not those of pterosaurs, Lagosuchus, etc.

Of course, any "group name" is something for the convenience of classification, but the:

"most recent common ancestor of Triceratops and the House Sparrow, and all it's descendants"

definition is at least handy.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2009-10-30 at 04:35 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

I always define dragons as dragons. Sometimes note that like birds and mammals they evolved from reptilian creatures, have some carry over traits, but are not in fact reptiles. More often I go dragons did not evolve from anything other than the raw churning power of the cosmos and are not petty animals as you know it but beings greater than man only surpassed by gods and possibly the strongest wizards/sorcerers/outsiders/aberrations/phoenixes; or else they are magic given flesh.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

15. - Top - End - #15

The fact that they are hexapods rather than tetrapods (except for those that have secondarily lost their extra limbs) makes them a bit different.

(the Faerun Brown Dragon is an example of the wings reduced to vestigial size).

So- they are mammals, or reptiles, or even Tetrapods. They are Hexapod Vertebrates- something unique.

(alternatively, they could be altered diapsids which have sprouted extra limbs.)
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2009-10-30 at 04:42 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

BlackDragon

By Earth definitions, dragons wouldn't even be tetrapods at all. The most recent common ancestor between a dragon and a dog would've been somewhere near the fishes.
    Last edited by nightwyrm; 2009-10-30 at 04:44 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

By Earth definitions, dragons wouldn't even be tetrapods at all. The most recent common ancestor between a dragon and a dog would've been somewhere near the fishes.
    That was something akin to my point. You really can't shoehorn dragons into dinosaurs, mammals, reptiles, or any of the other classifications because they don't fit.
    My latest homebrew: Majokko base class and Spellcaster Dilettante feats for D&D 3.5 and Races as Classes for PTU.

Currently Playing

18. - Top - End - #18

Not without invoking magic, anyway.

If six-limbed dragons evolved from four limbed landwyrms in D&D (and I'm not sure if that is true) magic needs to have mutated them at some point.

On the other hand, if everything with the Dragon type (not just true dragons) shares a common, six-limbed ancestor (and many have lost the extra limbs- drakes, wyverns, landwyrms, linnorms),

then the MMIII Dragon Eel looks like the "basal dragon"

Since it has six limbs, which are all similar size (tiny) and no supernatural powers.

It even looks a lot like the giant placoderm Dunkleosteus.

While evolution, even at high speed with magic boosts, might not in fact take place in the D&D-verse, I like the notion anyway.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Me too. Dragon Eel as the living fossil ancestor of all dragon-kind is kinda cool.

Currently Playing

20. - Top - End - #20

well, least derived, anyway.

Though having Dragonkind evolve from a family of Dragon Eels, and (because evolution works faster in D&D) the original family from which the line split being still there- works as well.

Hmm- Cladistic Analysis of Dragonkind- might be a fun exercise

Probably the most dramatic split within true dragons, looks like Fan-wings vs Bat-wings.

Fan-wings have reduced digits, and long spines all down the sides-
    (Gold, Copper, Brass, Incarnum, Sand)

Bat-wings vary, but all have wings supported by multiple elongated digits
    (Chromatics, Silver, Bronze, Fang, Deep, Shadow)

Doing this, the Silver and the Deep Dragon would actually be assumed to be close relatives- two fingers instead of one separate from the wing.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2009-10-30 at 05:08 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

... I blame you for the hours I'm about to lose to studying my books like I know what I'm doing.

Wyvern is a solid fan-wing, but it's a four-limbed critter. I imagine there'd be two major branches (four- and six-limbed) descending from the dragon eel. The six-limbs break up into the two major groups of fan-wing and bat-wing, with deep and silver dragons possibly their own sub-group within the bat-wings. The four-limbed dragons, methinks, split into wyverns, drakes, and linnorms.

Currently Playing

22. - Top - End - #22
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Lets add a bit more to the madness.

The legends say that kobolds spawned from dragon blood when the dragons did that ceremony a long time ago. They are dragonblooded. Sometimes, a dragonwrought kobold hatches and suddently the whole thing goes haywire. He is considered a dragon (arguably a true dragon), can grow his very own dragon wings with a feat...

How does evolution explain this ?
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

23. - Top - End - #23

I thought Linnorms might be a third clade that lost their hindlimbs instead of their forelimbs.

the Landwyrms lost their wings, but kept their four legs.

the Sea Serpents (Dragon 345) closely resemble aquatic Landwyrms, but advance from Wyrmling to Great Wyrm.

Though I agree with putting wyverns and drakes together.

Hmm- pseudodragon- stings like a wyvern, four legs like a dragon- maybe it could be the base of the dragon/drake clade?

EDIT:
    I figure a lot of magic and a little evolution are needed for any explanation.

Maybe kobolds were "genetically engineered" so to speak, by a dragon, from dragon genes.

Those for wings, breath, etc, are suppressed.

When they revert- that's a dragonblooded kobold?
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2009-10-30 at 05:23 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    Does halitosis count?

25. - Top - End - #25

Kobold

Well, D&D fluff usually contains gods that do stuff, create a race here, blow up something there...unlike RL.

So you could always say that Io created the dragons (like it says in the Draconomicon).

26. - Top - End - #26

I like the notion of it being more "altering" than creating- especially given the hints that the gods may be telling whoppers about creating a lot of things, in Lords of Madness.

And Elder Evils- where it stressed they helped shape the world, rather than created it- and life- the aboleths- existed on the Material Plane before they started fiddling around.

Having Io "supercharge" the evolution of a single race of relatively unassuming vertebrates is one way of doing it.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2009-10-30 at 05:31 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    I like the notion of it being more "altering" than creating- especially given the hints that the gods may be telling whoppers about creating a lot of things, in Lords of Madness.

And Elder Evils- where it stressed they helped shape the world, rather than created it- and life- the aboleths- existed on the Material Plane before they started fiddling around.

Having Io "supercharge" the evolution of a single race of relatively unassuming vertebrates is one way of doing it.
    I am now imagining Pelor as a Goa'uld.

28. - Top - End - #28

Besides the aforementioned Deep Dragon/Silver Dragon pairing, I'd probably split the Copper Dragon off from the rest of the Fan-wing clade.

Since (unlike the others) it has several spines projecting off its main wing-limb, whereas the Gold, Brass, Sand, and Incarnum dragons all lack these.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayar View Post
    I am now imagining Pelor as a Goa'uld.
    Interesting thought

Fiendish Codex 2 showed how the gods created life on many worlds- and on a lot of these, the life they created "opened the gates, letting the demons in to overrun the world"- very Stargate-esque.

Which is why Asmodeus wrote the Pact Primeval in the first place.

Maybe dwarves, elves, humans, halflings, orcs, goblins, etc, could all be the same species which each of the gods have customized to their own preferences?
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2009-10-30 at 05:49 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

DruidGuy

First thing I thought of:

Last edited by Moriato; 2009-10-30 at 06:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    What does "too evil" mean, anyway? Too evil compared to what? Is there a Recommended Daily Allowance of evil?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

I think there's more to the difference between pterosaurs and dinosaurs than how they stand. I believe the number of holes in their skull is another key difference, and I think its one of the things that's used to separate things like dimetrodon and mammal-like reptiles, as well as sea goers like mosasaurs, plesiosaurs and ichthyosaurs from true dinosaurs as well.

Probably something similar seperating True Dragons from creatures like dragon-turtles, wyverns and so on.