New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Useful "Useless" magic items.

I've created this thread with the express purpose of compiling the playground's favorite understated magic items that are remarkably useful.

My personal favourites have to be the rod of surprises
    Which functions as a 60 foot pole which can support 800lbs, a variety of +1 weapons both simple and martial and a dictaphone with a built in magic mouth recording device, all for 6,000 gold.
    And the fan of furious flame which, for 18,000 gold (hefty, I know) causes all flame based fire sources within a 60ft cone to explode, doing damage in an area between 5 and 10 feet varying from 1D4 to 1D12, 3 times a day, and the flames are then immediately exstinguished.

Invaluable to an assassin, especially in a city with invisibility purging lanterns.

So, have fun and share some of your favorites.
    Last edited by Kulture; 2009-10-31 at 11:46 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGirl

Default Re: Useful "Useless" magic items.

One that we've got is a Longsword Hilt of Fake Wounding.

It looks like the hilt of a longsword without a blade. When activated, a regular-looking blade appears, and it can be wielded as a longsword. Any wounds dealt by the sword are illusions; someone might look like they've been sliced up, but in reality, they've taken no damage. Handy if you ever need to lay a trap where it looks like you're fighting your allies. (That's how we got the item, fell into a trap like that.)
    "Experience is a good thing. You should hit it." - Lathandar to his Paladin, in response to her prayers for advice on what to do about a Holy Liberator

"Strahd turns into mist." - DM
    "And I turn into a hepa filter." - Lumieras

Quote of the Week:
    "If you go down south, you'll hear of Arthur Bartholomew Bartholomew, a man who changed a town." - Foster
    "Into dust?" - Owen

Characters: Kalinda Gray, Lawful Good Thief

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Bag of caltrops+glass marbles (obvious scooby-doo ability)

cast a shatter spell at the marbles, make them explode on the fallen people who fail the reflex save on marbles

not really a magic item, but it uses magic in a creative way that is good in a pinch
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

OP, where are those items from? They sound awesome.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiannon87 View Post
    One that we've got is a Longsword Hilt of Fake Wounding.

It looks like the hilt of a longsword without a blade. When activated, a regular-looking blade appears, and it can be wielded as a longsword. Any wounds dealt by the sword are illusions; someone might look like they've been sliced up, but in reality, they've taken no damage. Handy if you ever need to lay a trap where it looks like you're fighting your allies. (That's how we got the item, fell into a trap like that.)
    Is that from a specific book? If so, what book, and what price?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Perhaps a ring of cure minor wounds 1/hour. in light negatives, you will be up and running soon. well, after a night's sleep. Also, fully stabilized.
    "Now if you don't mind, I am somewhat preoccupied telling the laws of physics to shut up and sit down."

You know you're an epic wizard when you use a stilled silent extended quickened Gust of Wind spell to blow out the candles of your candle covered birthday cake.

Adventurers steal everything thats not nailed down. And what is. And the nails. After all, a bag full of nails can fetch a pretty penny. No doubt they'll weaponize it, too.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Everfull Mug. 3/day conjure 12 ounces of water, cheap ale, or watery wine. Priceless. But it actually costs 200 gp.
    Common sense is not so common.

Nanfoodle the Maverick, Conjurer of expensive tricks

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm da Rogue!
    You make sense in an annoying way.

8. - Top - End - #8

The Mug of the Ogre Magi (or something like that) from the Dragon Compendium. It is basically a +1 weapon blah blah some useless abilities and then the cool part. IT NEVER SPILLS! I can fill the tankard up to the brim, turn it upside down and nothing will come out. Smash someone in the face? Still got a full mug of booze.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

These two are only useless sometimes. Both in the MIC.

Ring of the darkhidden: For 2000 gp, you become constantly invisible to darkvision (but not to normal sight, blindsight, or anything else). Basically, very useful in the Underdark, but not generally elsewhere.

Heward's fortifying bedroll: Useless to mundane classes, but invaluable to casters. Renew your spells after 1 hours' rest 1/day. I believe it's 1000 gp.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthromancer View Post
    Heward's fortifying bedroll: Useless to mundane classes, but invaluable to casters. Renew your spells after 1 hours' rest 1/day. I believe it's 1000 gp.
    Unless, IIRC, your DM enforces the sleeping in armor rules and likes to spring midnight encounters on you.
    Spoiler
    Show

Kasadya a'Deveimar, Tiefling Warblade
    Sebastian Avero, Human Sagittarius

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by technophile View Post
    Unless, IIRC, your DM enforces the sleeping in armor rules and likes to spring midnight encounters on you.
    it is also useful in cases where time is on the essence. Where you don't have 9 hours downtime to refresh spells.
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Ring of Sustenance to the rescue! And Restful Crystal, at that. Sleep for 2 hours in whatever armor you want. Try IHS if you need to remove fatigue and are cheap (or stranded w/o the MIC)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthromancer View Post
    invaluable to casters.
    Quote Originally Posted by taltamir View Post
    it is also useful in cases where time is on the essence. Where you don't have 9 hours downtime to refresh spells.
    Hooray for repetition for emphasis.
    Last edited by Foryn Gilnith; 2009-11-01 at 09:21 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

I never wear anything over light armor, which one can sleep in anyway. That, and I try to have some way of casting rope trick. Great for those 1 hour power-naps that are so refreshing.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

It must be great never to play a tank, I guess.
    Spoiler
    Show

Kasadya a'Deveimar, Tiefling Warblade
    Sebastian Avero, Human Sagittarius

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Iron Heart Surge as a standard action after waking up from heavy armor gets rid of fatigue. Or you can use a Restful Crystal from the Magic Item Compendium to sleep in any armor without fatigue.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

It must be great never to play a tank, I guess.
    I can tank using a psicrystal, totally unarmored. Which, mind you, only has half the hp of the d4 psion. (That's also half-Con bonuses, too.) Doesn't do too well as a straight tank until level 7, except I can AssassinHate using nasty poisons until then.
    Last edited by Lycanthromancer; 2009-11-01 at 10:05 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Foryn Gilnith View Post
    Ring of Sustenance to the rescue! And Restful Crystal, at that. Sleep for 2 hours in whatever armor you want. Try IHS if you need to remove fatigue and are cheap (or stranded w/o the MIC)

Hooray for repetition for emphasis.
    Heward's fortifying bedroll allows you to regain spells with less sleep. The rest only reduce your sleep amount, but you still need 8 hours of rest. An elf for example naturally only "meditates" 4 hours a night instead of sleep. But they still need the same 8 hours of inaction before they can prepare a spell.
    The only exception I ever came across is Heward's fortifying bedroll which explicitly allows you to recover it after 1 hour of sleep/rest.

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

I was responding to technophile, who implied that the hypothetical character was a non-caster.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

The only exception I ever came across is Heward's fortifying bedroll which explicitly allows you to recover it after 1 hour of sleep/rest.
    And it's only a 1000 gp? That's beyond 'useful useless' that's even beyond just plain useful. That gives you, if you can hide away for 1 hour, which is often possible, at least in the games I play, twice your spells each day.
    Wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    And it's only a 1000 gp? That's beyond 'useful useless' that's even beyond just plain useful. That gives you, if you can hide away for 1 hour, which is often possible, at least in the games I play, twice your spells each day.
    Wow.
    I just double-checked. Complete Mage, pg 132. 3000gp. Still not a bad deal.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Wow.
    Rope Trick!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Wow.
    Not quite. Even with it, all spells cast in the last 8 hours cannot be re-prepared. This seems to be something that a lot of people overlook - preparing after only a short rest is all well and good, but there's nothing that overrides all spells cast in the last 8 hours from counting against you now.
    Proudly without a signature for 5 years. Wait... crap.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by lsfreak View Post
    Not quite. Even with it, all spells cast in the last 8 hours cannot be re-prepared. This seems to be something that a lot of people overlook - preparing after only a short rest is all well and good, but there's nothing that overrides all spells cast in the last 8 hours from counting against you now.
    And what everyone seems to be overlooking, you can only do it every few days.

24. - Top - End - #24

It's still ridiculously good.
    I used to do avatars on request, feel free to use them.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Shalist View Post
    Unless you have a Hewards Handy Haversack full of Hewards Hardy bedrolls.
    And that still does not work.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, there's always Roy's Bag of tricks, Rust. Though I absolutely love the Bag of Tricks, Tan (the 6,300g one that summons rhinos and whatnot) ever since a module I did at living FR.

We were all 1st-2nd level except for 1 guy who was 4th and who had spent ALL his money on a bag of tricks - we beat the module in ~30 minutes with a quick succession of tigers, bears and rhinos (oh my!) to our opponents' faces, while the party of full level 3's in a game of the same difficulty had a TPK after 3 hours of playing :D
    Handbooks: (Hosted on the new MixMax forums)
    [3.5] The Poison Handbook
    [3.5] (New) Master of Shrouds Handbook
    [3.5 Base Class] Healer's Handbook

Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Strategos and Jumilk for the awesome Iron Chef trophies!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lsfreak View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sofawall View Post
    And what everyone seems to be overlooking, you can only do it every few days.
    1. buy a bunch of them.
    2. Go to sleep in one at 12am for 1 hour. Prepare spells for 1 hour.
    3. Between 2am and 10am cast all your spells.
    4. Sleep in another one (not same one as before) of those from 10am to 11am, prepare spells for another hour.
    5. Between 12pm and 8pm cast all your spells.
    6. Sleep in a third bedroll between 8pm and 9pm, prepare until 10pm...
    ... and so on.

unless, does it specifically say you can only use A SPECIFIC bedroll onces every few days. or ANY bedroll only once every few days.
    Even if it has such a limitation it is still a ridiculously good item. For 3000gp, replenish all your spells once a day... how much would pearls of power that replicate that cost? (a whole freaking lot!)
    Last edited by taltamir; 2009-11-02 at 02:11 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28

1. buy a bunch of them.
    4. Sleep in another one (not same one as before) of those from 10am to 11am, prepare spells for another hour.
    ... and so on.

unless, does it specifically say you can only use A SPECIFIC bedroll onces every few days. or ANY bedroll only once every few days.
    Even if it has such a limitation it is still a ridiculously good item. For 3000gp, replenish all your spells once a day... how much would pearls of power that replicate that cost? (a whole freaking lot!)
    Like I said above, does not work.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

1. buy a bunch of them.
    ... and so on.

The bedroll specifies that one person cannot benefit from a bedroll more than once per 48 hours. Even though its powers work every 24 hours.

30. - Top - End - #30

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Foryn Gilnith View Post
    The ring specifically doesn't lower the time you need to rest to renew spells.

EDIT: spelling.
    Last edited by Blackfang108; 2009-11-02 at 12:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Somebody that pisses off a Warlock is going to go down fast. But with a Warlock, death will be a mercy because the Warlock is a secondary controller, and en route to killing you he'll first cripple you, then blind you, then set you on fire, then steal your girlfriend.
    "There is no overkill, there is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'" - Howard Tayler