New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

Default [3.5] Intelligent (/"Awakened") Animals...

Do intelligent animals (with class levels) make good recurring characters? What about merchants?

Are there rules for enhancing natural weapons? Are there weapons designed for animals to use?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Intelligent (/"Awakened") Animals...

Quote Originally Posted by Zovc View Post
    Do intelligent animals (with class levels) make good recurring characters? What about merchants?
    Only creatures with arms make any sense as merchants; a quadroped has incredible issues with handling wares. Outside some casters anyways, but chances are those would not become merchants (though Gloves of Man [Savage Species] would probably enable any race to perform the necessary manipulation).

That said, recurring NPCs? Sure. No more or less than any other race, though they should probably be more rare (depending on how common your Druids are and how exactly Awakening is viewed), especially since I don't think their progeny would be intelligent.

Are there rules for enhancing natural weapons? Are there weapons designed for animals to use?
    No rules for simple enhancing of natural weapons beyond Permanencied Greater Magic Fang of a given level. That said, some classes (notably Kensai off the top of my head) enhance them, and items (Necklace of Natural Weapons [Savage Species] and the Amulet of Mighty Fists [damn expensive]) to do it exist.

Weapons... Savage Species has some for non-standard races, but for intelligent animals? No, though primates could use Humanoid weapons just fine. You'd have to homebrew these if you see them using some kinds of weapons; though may be some standard weapons could reasonably be wieldable with some work for non-standard races.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2009-11-01 at 03:48 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Well...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Awakened Animals can certainly make excellent characters for a game, especially as servants and allies of powerful druids and the fey. I know in Eberron that there's an awakened pine tree druid that is a figure of influence among the druids, who leads the Warden of the Woods sect.

I'm not so sure about Awakened Animals being good merchants, given that they only gain a little Charisma from Awaken and they tend to have lowish scores. I rather doubt they'd care enough, either, as even awakened animals don't really seem to put much value in coin and at best barter for services.

For weapons and enhancements, there's a couple Dragons that had animal weaponry but I can't think of any real nonmagical enhancement otherwise. For actually enhancing, the two ways of thinking on that is either via the amulet of mighty fists or the amulet of natural weapons. Mighty Fists is actually cheaper than Natural Weapons if you have a great number of natural weapons to enhance, though that only covers base enhancements, not special abilities, which the Amulet of Natural Weapons can provide.

EDIT: Checking Savage Species again, they do have the Tail Blade and Tail Club, but that's about it. Draconomicon and Dragon Magic have a couple of other magic items for enhancing natural attacks, like Claws of the Ripper, Dragonslayer Claws, Jaws of the Dragon and Tailbands of Impact. Only the Claws of the Ripper specify being of the Dragon type, so you can work with the rest and work the others out with some UMD.

Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.
    Last edited by Cieyrin; 2009-11-01 at 04:02 PM.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Well there's on thing for sure. An Awakened Max hit dice Tyrannosaurus Rex is freaking awesome.
    "No extra charge!"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Volkov View Post
    Well there's on thing for sure. An Awakened Max hit dice Tyrannosaurus Rex is freaking awesome.
    Only if he thinks that every day is a beautiful day to be stomping on things.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Why not the savage species anthromorphic template that grants them hands to hold stuff instead of awaken...

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    Only if he thinks that every day is a beautiful day to be stomping on things.
    I am guessing you are referencing the dinosaur web-comic. That particular T-rex had a +5 bonus to his mental stats from wish spells, and a awakened spell.
    "No extra charge!"

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Why not the savage species anthromorphic template that grants them hands to hold stuff instead of awaken...
    Because some actually want intelligent animals than intelligent humanoids that remotely resemble an animal? Just a guess. I don't particularly care for the Anthropomorphics, for one, but find Awakened animals natural.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

When you see an epic level black scale lizard folk druid riding a max hit dice awakened tyrannosaurus rex that is his animal companion. Then it is time to run because the crap has hit the metaphorical fan and splattered all over the ceiling.
    "No extra charge!"

11. - Top - End - #11

I just rolled to see what Intelligence one should have if I made one, and got a 18.

Dinosaur Wizards.

Now where's that Headband of Intelligence....
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Dinosaur wizards, might as well just give up now while your head's still attached to your shoulder's villains.
    "No extra charge!"

13. - Top - End - #13

Screw the bear cavalry, we have Wizard Dinosaur Cavalry!

Damn, now I want to see a build involving a Wizard-Dino as a mount.
    Last edited by The Dark Fiddler; 2009-11-01 at 04:47 PM.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Hundreds of thousands of microraptor wizards on a Amphicoelias, that's right, we just one upped the Mumakil.
    Last edited by Volkov; 2009-11-01 at 04:53 PM.
    "No extra charge!"

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

MonkGuy

I want to know if it's possible to play one.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Berserk Monk View Post
    I want to know if it's possible to play one.
    Probably yes. No one will mess with a fricken Utahraptor wizard, cleric, or druid, heck even a Utahraptor fighter would be as scary as hell.
    "No extra charge!"

17. - Top - End - #17

Probably yes. No one will mess with a fricken Utahraptor wizard, cleric, or druid, heck even a Utahraptor fighter would be as scary as hell.
    We had that Campaign Diary of a Velociraptor Swordsage here at some point...

18. - Top - End - #18

Well, not a Wizard if you rolled well enough on Int, but most animals don't have enough Wisdom to be epic* Druids or Clerics, and they don't gain any from awakening.

Then again, Periapt of Wisdom.

*That's epic awesome, not epic level.

Are there any good ACFs for Druids that lose Wild Shape? You don't really need it when you're a dinosaur.
    Last edited by The Dark Fiddler; 2009-11-01 at 05:03 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Fiddler View Post
    Well, not a Wizard if you rolled well enough on Int, but most animals don't have enough Wisdom to be epic Druids or Clerics, and they don't gain any from awakening.

Then again, Periapt of Wisdom.
    Or Wish spells.
    "No extra charge!"

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

A Utahraptor druid could have some really awesome fights with a druid in dire bear form. Of course, it's sort of mandatory to end the fight by sticking your one and a half foot long killing claw through the bear's neck, thus partially decapitating it. Or better yet, through his skull.
    "No extra charge!"

21. - Top - End - #21

Or Wish spells.
    True...

I feel we're derailing this thread a bit much. Should we start a different thread for this awesome idea?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

*That's epic awesome, not epic level.
    Uh. You're playing as a DINOSAUR. There's no way that won't be epic.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

For the weapons thing, the necklace of natural attacks has already been mentioned. Lords of Madness has the mouth pick enhancement. Any weapon you like to replace your critter's bite

24. - Top - End - #24
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

My current PC's cohort is an Awakened Magebred Warbeast Riding Dog. With 4 levels of Monk. Lots of fun. But a very long name. :)

Awakened Magebred Warbeast Riding Dog Monk 4
    STR 22
    DEX 18
    CON 20
    INT 8
    WIS 14
    CHA 8

HP 99
    Init +8
    AC 24
    Speed 60'

Fort 13
    Ref 12 (evasion)
    Will 7

BAB +6/1

Bite +13 1d8+10 (Trip attack as wolf - 1d20+7)
    Paws(flurry) +11/+11/+6 1d8+6

Still Mind
    Ki Strike (magic)

Feats:
    Alertness, Track, Imp. Natural Attack, Imp. Init., Power Attack, Leap Attack, Stunning Fist 5x (DC 16), Combat Reflexes

Jump +30
    Listen +11
    Spot +6
    Swim +7
    Survival +2 (bonus for scent)

Items: Collar of mighty paws (+1) [renamed Amulet of Mighty Fists], Bracers of armor (+2)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    For the weapons thing, the necklace of natural attacks has already been mentioned. Lords of Madness has the mouth pick enhancement. Any weapon you like to replace your critter's bite
    For the price of a +1 enhancement!

Get yours Today!

If you order now, we'll include a gallon of Oxi-clean, to get the blood of your foes out of your fur or off of your scales, free of charge!
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Somebody that pisses off a Warlock is going to go down fast. But with a Warlock, death will be a mercy because the Warlock is a secondary controller, and en route to killing you he'll first cripple you, then blind you, then set you on fire, then steal your girlfriend.
    "There is no overkill, there is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'" - Howard Tayler

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Do intelligent animals (with class levels) make good recurring characters?
    I like to awaken an animal companion sinultaneous with taking the Leadership feat, and make it my cohort. That makes a great recurring character.

My opinion on your question: If your campaign setting is naturalistic, spiritual, or low-magic, intelligent animals are a good choice. Only a few make sense in an urban setting without upsetting suspension of disbelief (maybe cats and rats), and with high magic, talking animals can be common enough that the character's special attribute becomes just a gimmick.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Fiddler View Post
    ...most animals don't have enough Wisdom to be epic* Druids or Clerics
    Even an average cat has 12 wisdom.
    Doesn't that mean a +2 to wisdom for player characters, who roll stats to be exceptional?
    Or am I thinking of 3.0?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Radiun View Post
    Even an average cat has 12 wisdom.
    Doesn't that mean a +2 to wisdom for player characters, who roll stats to be exceptional?
    Or am I thinking of 3.0?
    No that'd be technically correct.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

maximized empowered awaken... 27 in all mental stats :)
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by taltamir View Post
    maximized empowered awaken... 27 in all mental stats :)
    Nope. 18+3D6/2 Intelligence, 3+1D3/2 = +4 CHA and that's it.
    Last edited by Kylarra; 2009-11-03 at 12:14 AM.