New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Converting Crossbow Feats to Firearm Feats (Pathfinder)

Hello, I asked my DM in an upcoming campaign if I can play a ranger with a gun. He said sure, but I will have to make it myself, it will be expensive, both gold and skill point wise (craft: alchemy, craft:gunsmithing and profession: mining and about 800 gp for a primitive, likely to blow up in my face, gun.) and I don't start with one. I asked if I could convert come crossbow feats to gun feats and he said, OK, but he wants to see them first. He also wants to stick in core except fro the whole gun thing, and so comes my question. Should I just replace gun with crossbow and pistol for light crossbow and musket for heavy cross bow in the feats, or should I get more involved then that?
    Thank you in advance for any assistance forthcoming from the collection of brains we call Giant in the Playground Forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Converting Crossbow Feats to Firearm Feats (Pathfinder)

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Hello, I asked my DM in an upcoming campaign if I can play a ranger with a gun. He said sure, but I will have to make it myself, it will be expensive, both gold and skill point wise (craft: alchemy, craft:gunsmithing and profession: mining and about 800 gp for a primitive, likely to blow up in my face, gun.) and I don't start with one. I asked if I could convert come crossbow feats to gun feats and he said, OK, but he wants to see them first. He also wants to stick in core except fro the whole gun thing, and so comes my question. Should I just replace gun with crossbow and pistol for light crossbow and musket for heavy cross bow in the feats, or should I get more involved then that?
    Thank you in advance for any assistance forthcoming from the collection of brains we call Giant in the Playground Forums.
    I'd say that yeah, keep it simple where possible. You're already pushing your luck a wee bit, so making sure they are as close to core as possible should make getting them okay'ed simpler. :)

The main thing to ask is re: guns reliability. Sounds like a matter of balancing it, so what stats are they going to have? If it's closer to crossbows, again, you may be more able to avoid exploding, by being ruthlessly reasonable about things.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Well, he explicitly said he was going to use the optional Backfire rules in the Pathfinder campaign setting guide. But I also get Exploding dice on crits, so that is a Good Thing. Aside from Rapid reload, is there any crossbow feats worth taking and changing?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Personally, I'd suggest just using a Great Crossbow (from Races of Stone) as a counts-as longrifle. That way you can avoid the trouble of balancing house rules one way or the other.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Why not just use the guns from PF while you're at it?
    Handbooks: (Hosted on the new MixMax forums)
    [3.5] The Poison Handbook
    [3.5] (New) Master of Shrouds Handbook
    [3.5 Base Class] Healer's Handbook

Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Strategos and Jumilk for the awesome Iron Chef trophies!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Akal Saris View Post
    Why not just use the guns from PF while you're at it?
    Well, basically we are. But feat wise, guns aren't exactly supported much feat wise, and since guns are thematically similar to crossbows I want to know if crossbow specific feats could be converted into fire arm feats without being over powered.