New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default Stranges reasons people got upset for

As we were almost ready to level from 3 to 4 the DM added a houserule that two abilities are raised by 1 in 3.5. The person who was upset claimed foul play saying that he would've lower another stat to 13 or something on character creation.
    Last edited by Akisa; 2009-11-02 at 10:07 PM.
    The day I find a game is the day that HL2 Episode 3 is released!
    My Brandenburg Interactive AAR game for EUIV.
    Here is the recruitment page

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Stranges reasons people got upset for

Ha, ha. Well, I can understand the general idea that changing the rules "mid-stream" can ruffle a few feathers, but I do not think that is worth kicking up a fuss over.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

wait, you get double goodness and they ***** and whine about it?

I let party members keep loot if nobody else is there to ask for a share, and nobody complains the pirate has 60% of a six person groups wealth.
    Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    You are my favorite kind of villain.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Indeed. I've had a player blow up for someone else roleplaying with them. That one raised a few eyebrows.

I've seen someone quit a group entirely because he couldn't roll above a 10 all night. He claimed they were rigging his dice.

People do stupid ****. What can I say?

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I've got a Warforged expy race in my homebrew campaign setting, which I inventively named Mechanikals. Last session, one of my players who plays a Mechanikal, and regularly mentions that he oils himself during downtime periods, became quite irate upon finding out that there are no crunch-based penalties for Mechanikals who don't oil themselves, and argued with me for almost 15 minutes that he should take Dexterity damage (he's a Rogue) if he ever runs out of oil. I finally just said 'whatever, fine, you can have your penalties' to shut him up, and he happily mentioned pulling out another flask of oil.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Akisa View Post
    As we were almost ready to level from 3 to 4 the DM added a houserule that two abilities are raised by 1 in 3.5. The person who was upset claimed foul play saying that he would've lower another stat to 13 or something on character creation.
    what do you mean by "two abilities are raised by 1"?
    Last edited by taltamir; 2009-11-02 at 11:15 PM.
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by taltamir View Post
    what do you mean by "two abilities are raised by 1"?
    Every four hit dice, you gain one ability point to spend on a key attribute as you wish? His DM changed that to two, which is a GOOD thing.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Every four hit dice, you gain one ability point to spend on a key attribute as you wish? His DM changed that to two, which is a GOOD thing.
    And a player complained about that? the argument doesn't even make sense... if he had 2 stats at 13 he would now have them both at 14... but at level 8 its odd again... with this he just puts has them both turn odd this level, and at 8 they are both even again.
    Last edited by taltamir; 2009-11-02 at 11:22 PM.

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

One of my oldest and normally most mature players held up the game for an hour and almost cried over his loot last session we played. Basically they had the option to fight an encounter on 'hard mode' and in return I'd roll up a random magic item for them on the moderate magic item. The PCs were around 12th level or so.

Anyhow, the dice rolled up a sword that kept hitting 'add additional enhancements' up the wazoo, and I ruled that they stopped at +6 worth, which made him furious, and pretty much tainted the rest of the night because he kept muttering angrily over it. Despite getting a +6 weapon for his character...

To be fair, he apologized the next day for his behavior, and part of the fault was mine for DM fiating it so abruptly - but I learned my lesson...no more rolling up random loot in front of the PCs without setting a cap beforehand!
    Handbooks: (Hosted on the new MixMax forums)
    [3.5] The Poison Handbook
    [3.5] (New) Master of Shrouds Handbook
    [3.5 Base Class] Healer's Handbook

Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Strategos and Jumilk for the awesome Iron Chef trophies!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

never let him watch you roll for magic items again. :)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

I once had a fellow player get mad at me OoC because her rogue tried to break into my character's room....my character heard her, and set up a small ambush to catch whoever was breaking into the room...which failed, btw, due to, IMO, a poor DM decision, but alas.

She kept saying that no one would ever ready a bow to shoot an innocent person coming into the room or have their roommate try and grab said breaking-and-entering-er. This was like a 30 minute argument where I was the badguy for trying to keep my characters safe and living.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

This DM was not sure how to run the game, so she begged me to help her with the planning and statting. She just greenlighted everything I did and resisted my attempts to try and get her involved. When game time actually came, she suddenly kind of flipped out at me for hijacking the game or something and just stormed out there...

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Maybe she was trying to seduce you and rolled a one on her skill check?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

This wasn't only unwarranted, it was one of the hugest blowups I've ever seen. The group rogue found a secret door and went in to look for treasure. GM gave him some bonus XP for finding the secret room. When the rest of the party joined him, the GM gave us XP too. This was unacceptable to the rogue who wanted all the XP for himself. Thankfully he moved shortly thereafter and was never heard from again.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Maybe she was trying to seduce you and rolled a one on her skill check?
    Or he rolled a 1 on his sense motive to figure out she was hitting on him ;)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

One player was pissed off as I took away her character's starfighter that had been given to her by another GM. When I took back the chair, it was one of the first things I had to do and I explained this to her out of the game.

The team already had their own ship that they flew around in as a group, her having her own ship meant it was much easier for her to go rogue where I wasn't willing to follow her.

Still, she was pissed off when the Republic requisitioned her ship as it was a military vehicle and could not be held by a civillian pilot. She was "compensated" with some credits and I did outline a long bureaucractic process she'd have to go through to get it back (mainly to subtly hint that I wasn't letting her get it back). She left the game for good shortly after that and told everyone but me

Running Tomb of Horrors 4E in all that horrific tombyness.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

17. - Top - End - #17

We were doing a semi-one shot campaign at level one with two players; a wizard and a duskblade. We had a typical tavern starting scenario until the innkeeper starts chomping on the duskblade and the patrons start swining weapons at us (it makes sense..kinda).

Anyway, we finally tie Mr. Chomps up when my friend goes about trying to carefully feed him. The Dm ruled that he bites the duskblade, dealing one point of damage. He argued back the monster should roll an attack since bite is an attack.

They argued for an hour about whether bite is actually an attack.
    Last edited by Sploosh; 2009-11-03 at 12:20 AM.
    Some men are born to kill.
    Others push people around.
    A few are destined to lead

I was born a tank.

¶▅c●▄███████||▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅||█
    ▄████████████████▅▄▃▂ Avatar by Lordsmoothe
    █E█V█I█S█C█E█R█A█T█O█R██►
    ◥☼▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲☼◤

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by taltamir View Post
    Or he rolled a 1 on his sense motive to figure out she was hitting on him ;)
    >.> I'm engaged...

Quote Originally Posted by Katana_Geldar View Post
    One player was pissed off as I took away her character's starfighter that had been given to her by another GM. When I took back the chair, it was one of the first things I had to do and I explained this to her out of the game.

The team already had their own ship that they flew around in as a group, her having her own ship meant it was much easier for her to go rogue where I wasn't willing to follow her.

Still, she was pissed off when the Republic requisitioned her ship as it was a military vehicle and could not be held by a civillian pilot. She was "compensated" with some credits and I did outline a long bureaucractic process she'd have to go through to get it back (mainly to subtly hint that I wasn't letting her get it back). She left the game for good shortly after that and told everyone but me
    Was she actually using this to go rogue, and had you spoken to her about this before you removed the ship? I wouldn't leave the game over something like that, but I can see why she was unhappy if you didn't do those things.
    Last edited by AstralFire; 2009-11-03 at 12:21 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19

DrowGirl

It doesn't change the fact she could've been hitting on you. :P
    The day I find a game is the day that HL2 Episode 3 is released!
    My Brandenburg Interactive AAR game for EUIV.
    Here is the recruitment page

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire View Post
    Was she actually using this to go rogue, and had you spoken to her about this before you removed the ship? I wouldn't leave the game over something like that, but I can see why she was unhappy if you didn't do those things.
    She was constantly talking about going rogue, like taking off to a different planet to where the plot was taking them. The player who actually owns the ship in the game is usually willing to go along with what I cook up, and it's not as if I make them as I try to make it interesting.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

She was constantly talking about going rogue, like taking off to a different planet to where the plot was taking them. The player who actually owns the ship in the game is usually willing to go along with what I cook up, and it's not as if I make them as I try to make it interesting.
    one possible solution is:
    DM: Ok... you go to another planet... you find a nice hotel, nobody attacks you.
    DM: Ok, now the rest of you, lets roll some initiative.

Aka, if she runs off regularly, she is out there "doing her thing" and missing all the action. Although, that itself might cause another explosion.
    EDIT: in retrospect, that sounds even MORE heavy handed... it is a bad idea. IF the party splits then the party splits, its better to prevent it than to penalize a player by "not playing" if they do so.
    Last edited by taltamir; 2009-11-03 at 12:37 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22

That's fair enough then. It is very hard on a DM to deal with rogue elements and a player should respect that. I wish I had less of a propensity for cinematics - every time the party ended up splitting up because it made the most sense IC, I ended up with a headache trying to keep everyone happy. It always ended with an "AWESOME SESSION" response from then, though, so it worked out I guess. :D

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Talking isn't doing. I'd recommend against punishing people for things they haven't actually done yet, and taking away high value, powerful items can certainly be upsetting for people. Only do that as a last resort.

As for the double stat upgrades, I dunno. I guess I could see the fighter getting upset if the two stats were int and wis, yknow? It really depends on what the stats were. Con is fine, it helps everyone, but something that helps only some is probably going to be looked at skeptically by others.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

It sounds to me like they were just getting to bump up two stats, like 4e, rather than the usual single stat.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

well... a really important question is "how upset did they get". Even if something is somewhat unfair or annoying, a person can blow it way out of proportion.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Halfling in the Playground

Two players argued for 2-4 hours about the definition of "charisma". Ok, they didn't really fight with any anger and it wasn't in game...but it was in person.

The biggest thing people in our games get upset about is the ratio of "spotlight time" and "time spent interacting with other characters." Specifically, those who interact the least ("lone wolves" and just plain other people who hate RPing) complain the most when the party doesn't want to risk life and limb for the advancement of their precious backstory...(or lack therefore of.)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

It's actually not a bad policy to "move the spotlight about" like a stage director and make sure everyone has a turn, or at least an opportunity

My Blog The Level 1 GM

28. - Top - End - #28

Honestly, most of the things in this thread I wouldn't classify as strange. In fact, broadly speaking they seem to fall under two extremely common headings. Either changing the rules after they've been established or DM fiat against a player. While, there was only one that would truly upset me enough to net a response (the Starship bit - which personally I have to admit I can see the players point. I would have gotten up and walked out.), several of the others wouldn't have pleased me particularly either.

I think the oddest reason I can recall someone getting upset with me related to P&P was for showing up on time. Everyone else was always late/didn't show, and I guess the DM felt obligated to keep me company while waiting/actually DM since I showed.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Temet, I'm not that mean to take away a starfighter from a player without warning them what impact it has on the game. The GM before me was in a bit of a Monty Haul mood and gave us 100k credits before we completed a job that an NPC wanted us to do in addition to giving her a starfighter.

What did I do when he gave us the money? After asking out of character is he was 100% sure he was giving us the money before completing the job...and then going to a different destination, selling the emmisary we were supposed to escort to the other side of the war so we could get paid twice.

Not my fault he was being that dumb...until he railroaded us in uncharted space with a star destroyer.
    Last edited by Katana_Geldar; 2009-11-03 at 06:00 AM.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

30. - Top - End - #30

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KitsuneKionchi View Post
    Two players argued for 2-4 hours about the definition of "charisma". Ok, they didn't really fight with any anger and it wasn't in game...but it was in person.
    When Internet arguments leave the Internet?