New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Optimizing a Ruby Knight Vindicator

I am going to be playing in a high powered campaign and I'd like to run a fairly optimized Vindicator. Right now I am thinking Crusader 1/Cleric 4/Vindicator 10 but I don't know what will be good for the last five levels. I do not want to lose any more caster levels.

Should I prioritize Wisdom or Strength first?

I have not played anything from ToB before. Are there any maneuvers or stances that would help this build?

Are there any feats I should look for? I have heard that there are some good domain devotion feats but I haven't seen them. Which book are they in?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Optimizing a Ruby Knight Vindicator

The domain devotion feats are in Complete Champion. Knowledge Devotion is a great one, giving you attack and damage boosts basically for free. Death Devotion makes your attacks deal negative levels, and can be very effective if used properly (though it's best in a full-attack-oriented build, which most ToB builds aren't).

More advice when I think of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Say hello to Chuck.

Note: The previous link does not necessarily represent an endorsement of TO used in actual games. Use of Chuck may cause flung books, bannings, and massive nerfage. Do not use Chuck in a game with Tier 3 or lower characters. Always consult your DM before building anything related to TO.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Didn't errata kill Chuck by adding [Dismissable] to Footsteps of the Divine?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Glyphstone View Post
    Didn't errata kill Chuck by adding [Dismissible] to Footsteps of the Divine?
    Dischargable, you mean? The errata is wrong. Doing that makes the spell useless, because the [Dischargable] tag makes the spell end before the final speed boost.

Plus, that's a build that got made WotC errata something. This is the company that never errata'd a class getting 6x(6+int) skillpoints at first level, so making them fix an issue is remarkable on it's own.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

You may want to postpone the last 3 levels of Ruby Knight Vindicator to get higher level maneuvers access from them. You also probably want to pick up Crusader 1 on level 5 to get level 2 maneuvers from it (given RKV doesn't get too many either).

And you probably want some Cleric PrC for the last levels; something like Radiant Servant, Contemplative, Divine Disciple, Sacred Exorcist or similar. None have full BAB, but c'est la vie; you'll still end with 17 BAB (or 16 if you pick a ˝ BAB class like Contemplative) so it's not that bad.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Divine Oracle 4+ is a great filler/finish to any melee caster build, plus you can visit the Frog God's Fane in Complete Scoundrel so you don't even need to spend a feat to get it.

8. - Top - End - #8

Chuck still works, even if the DM agrees that he can't persist the ability. You expend an Extended Footsteps, activating Travel Devotion to get the extra movement. You then use Travel Devotion twice and then Tornado Throw them. The damage and distance is considerably smaller than the original, but they still take massive amounts of damage. This version has the advantage of being able to do repeat performances.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    Dischargable, you mean? The errata is wrong. Doing that makes the spell useless, because the [Dischargable] tag makes the spell end before the final speed boost.
    How so? The exact wording is:
    Page 121 – Footsteps of the
    Divine [Substitution]
    Under Duration, the entry should say “See text.”
    [Revision]
    The two final sentences should read, “You can discharge the spell to add +10 feet to your speed per remaining round of the spell’s duration. This effect lasts until the end of your turn.”
    They did not "add the dischargable tag", they changed the wording to use the word "discharge" while staying perfectly clear about exactly what happens.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    The rules cannot be wrong just because they make something useless; rather they make that thing useless.

Monks & fighters are really great, too, when you don't follow the rules.
    Last edited by Myrmex; 2009-11-03 at 12:47 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Travel Devotion and Knowledge Devotion work very well. I'm personally a fan of Law Devotion, but if you're planning to involve DMM in your build you probably won't have enough turn uses to spare.