Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Let's play Galactic Civilizations II! "All the lights in the sky are.... ?"

You should make a new super-ship and put the black hole gun on it this time.

Also: how long until the Creative trait fires off and unlocks the secrets of the universe in a garage somewhere?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

2. - Top - End - #392
    Banned

Default Re: Let's play Galactic Civilizations II! "All the lights in the sky are.... ?"

I think Creative can proc only if research is actually conducted. At least I hope so.

And no upgrades for the Daisies. What you need is not more dakka, but more speed. Maybe if you fired your missiles in the opposite direction of the one you're supposed to be going...

3. - Top - End - #393
    Barbarian in the Playground

Or just fired the missiles and didn't release them from the mounts, it would greatly boost their speed. But..... then there is the whole timing of the release so they don't blow themselves to smithereens thingy.
    Current Sexy Reya Dawnbringer avatar by Edwin, thanks for the awesomeness.

"Come with me, and we'll be...
    In a world of total annihilation." .....Itnetlolor of Bay12 forums

4. - Top - End - #394
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Celesyne View Post
    Or just fired the missiles and didn't release them from the mounts, it would greatly boost their speed. But..... then there is the whole timing of the release so they don't blow themselves to smithereens thingy.
    Either that, or you just don't arm the warheads.
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ogre in the Playground

You have to actually be doing research for creative to proc. Plus some techs won't proc it. I think Tech Victory is one of those.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

6. - Top - End - #396
    Troll in the Playground

Bumping slightly.

Also glad to see our supreme leader has decided not to go for 'victory by Vajra queen'- only influence style.

(yes, this is the same Mercenary Pen who had only watched the robotech-version series about two weeks ago- it has been a long couple of weeks)
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Bugbear in the Playground

One Mega-Ark per planet, one Military starbase per sector. At least. Clearly it's the only way to go.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Banned

Bump wasn't necessary, the only reason I'm not updating is due to being very busy. Expect the update tomorrow - and it will be a big one!

I'll tell you this: just because it's endgame and I'm more powerful than everyone else in the galaxy put together, doesn't mean that fun and interesting/frustrating (for viewers and me respectively) situations won't happen.
    Last edited by Cubey; 2009-11-26 at 06:53 PM.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cubey View Post
    Bump wasn't necessary, the only reason I'm not updating is due to being very busy. Expect the update tomorrow - and it will be a big one!

I'll tell you this: just because it's endgame and I'm more powerful than everyone else in the galaxy put together, doesn't mean that fun and interesting/frustrating (for viewers and me respectively) situations won't happen.
    Mega Ark Quarter goes pirate, destroys Buster Machine Kif...
    Part of YugiohITP

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Pen View Post
    that would be a battle i would pay to see. If it happens, don't post pictures, tape the battle!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Herman View Post
    I just found a dead cat in my quern. I guess someone was trying to make cat bread.
    Props go out to kwarkpudding for the awesome avatar!

11. - Top - End - #401
    Troll in the Playground

Nah, I wouldn't do that to poor Kif. If I went rogue I'd probably just go raiding all our marketplaces for models and crap.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

12. - Top - End - #402
    Banned

Chapter XVIII: This is our last dance!

I woke up knowing one thing - today, I will try to do it. Win the game. Not via the influence victory though, and definitely not the technology one. That's cheating.

What am I aiming for then?

Spoiler
    Show

The Diplomatic Victory. I just have to sign an alliance with all remaining civilizations - which shouldn't be a problem, since there's only two of them and both absolutely adore me. I only hope this is because I am such a nice guy, and not because my race is so powerful that they're terrified of being crushed instantly.

Anyway, let's get some alliances going!

Spoiler
    Show

Or not.

You see, the Yor and Altarians already are in an alliance with each other. I guess their exclusive club is invite-only: I can't propose an alliance this way, only hope they reach out and do it for me.

Okay, time for plan B. I'll take over one of the remaining races and then sign an alliance with whomever is left. I will be gentle - this will be a cultural conquest, not a military one. I'm trying to leave a legacy of peace here!

Spoiler
    Show

Since I no longer need any research, I can channel most of my budget for military production. To be more precise, spaceships. To be even more precise, constructors. Lots of constructors.

Spoiler
    Show

The Altarians are busy with their suspicious fleet activities again. They will be the ones I assimilate culturally - because I like them less! This is vengeance for taking my research resource.

Not that I needed it anymore. But, whatever: let there be starbases!

Spoiler
    Show

In the meantime, I want to make sure the Yor will be willing to sign an alliance treaty as soon as the Altarians are no more. In order for that to happen, they have to like me a little bit more. How do I make them like me more? Well...
    Spoiler
    Show

I gave them Hot Springs too. It worked fine - the relations increased to Close!

But two weeks later...
    Spoiler
    Show

Back to neutral?! Ungrateful robots! So be it - I will make you part of my empire too! Let this be a contest. I will see who flips over to my side faster, and I may let the other race maintain sovereignity. Maybe.

I make more constructors, taking advantage of my huge funds to buy them instantly, but...
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

There are problems. I'd like to point your attention to this unit's speed rating. That's right, it's just 3 when it should be 15 or something. That's the Yor for you - their special ability is being Super Isolationist. That means ships of other races are really slow when travelling through their space. It is really annoying, too.

Spoiler
    Show

I'm starting to doubt that the Yor remained good once again. But really - grovel, me? Your planets will become but a Spiral backwater soon. Your citizens are already revolting, demanding more hot-blooded Spiral music, movies and frisbees. See for yourself.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Altarians are in the same boat. This should be pretty painless and hassle-free.

Or will it!
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

That... that's just great. Words fail me. I'd blame Kif but he actually has guns and backbone to bite back now clearly was in his Buster Machine at the time.

Spoiler
    Show

To make matters worse, some "private sources" (vengeance of the Mercantile Party or return of the Dark Yor honcho?) provided the Yor with additional fighters. They're rather puny, but they're all over the place - not just near Yor planets, everywhere in the galaxy.

I'm going to need firepower. Mobilizing Kif, mobilizing the Daisies... and I also have a deal to make. I'm calling Mercenary Pen. Him, and Terra.
    Spoiler
    Show

Next week...
    Spoiler
    Show

Predictably, the Yor blew up every single one of my beautiful influence starbases. But among the huge stacks of papers that documented all the damage done I found a report from the Pen. The construction is finished. It took one week of time, and one king's ransom of payment.

Spoiler
    Show

This is my second Buster Machine - Edu. That's short for Educator. It has been decided by a powerful council of one (yours truly) that its pilot shall be the scariest woman the council knows. That'd be Terra. Her new mission: educate the Yor that messing with us is a bad idea.

Spoiler
    Show

A Support Wing joins her a week later. I've let my new Buster Machine pilot choose whomever she wants as the support crew. I'm sure she made a right choice.

As for the Daisies...
    Spoiler
    Show

Their mission is very simple. My transports are en route towards Yor planets. Make sure nobody shoots them down. Failure will be punished by a personal meeting with Chiasaur.

I focused on the Yor so much that I almost forgot about the Altarians. That'd be a shame though - the MST3k marathon I was bombarding them with finally gave some results!
    Spoiler
    Show

Something else brings good results too. And no, this is not an entendre.
    Spoiler
    Show

I knew my choice of the pilot was a good one.

There is only one thing that could interrupt my brainwashing of one race and Buster BEEEEAAAAM'ing the other. And that'd be, of course...
    Spoiler
    Show

I have no allied forces. It's not my fault though - I wanted friendship. It's you guys who refused!

In the meantime, Kif arrived from the other side. The Yor are caught in a pincer attack now, which only multiplies the destruction.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

I didn't mobilize any forces more, they're busy fending off vengeance ship attacks and whatever Yor squads that slipped through the grips of Buster Machine hands. Even ObadiahtheSlim is under attack, and his base is at the literal end of the universe! Well, so are the Yor, truth to be told.

Suddenly, news from my explorers! An old danger rears its ugly head!
    Spoiler
    Show

One more anomaly like this and the Tech Victory is mine. And like I said last update, it's something I really do not want. Is it time for a FUN solution again? Yes it is.
    Spoiler
    Show

No more anomaly exploring from now on! The only ship capable of doing so that I leave in service is the flagship, which returns to Kamina's orbit.

No to exploring, but yes to influence!
    Spoiler
    Show

That's not the end of bad news though. Although well-armed, one of my facilities was under constant fire from enemy forces. It defeated wave after wave of attackers, but eventually it was so damaged that the starbase had to fall.
    Spoiler
    Show

Worry not, ObadiahtheSlim! Your sacrifice will not come in vain - your spirit will become a symbol of inspiration for our land troops as they try to take over the Yor capital! What, you're not dead, you say? Hush, don't ruin the inspiration!
    Spoiler
    Show

The planet is ours - the assault worked. In fact, it worked a little bit too well...
    Spoiler
    Show

Does anyone in the galaxy have the guts to lose gracefully? Follow the Korath example and how they fought to the last! Actually... the Korath were torture happy murderers with some really weird ideas about sporks and farming, so let's not follow their example after all.

Oh well. Only one race left, and they're not in an alliance with anyone. Let's propose one of my own to them!
    Spoiler
    Show

No such option, only stupid smirks and brown-nosing. Argh!

Okay. I'll just continue what I already started and take over the Altarians as well. I trust the future generations will remember me as a wise and responsible supreme leader, and not a conquer-happy one that the whole universe seems to plot to paint me as.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Yes, yes. Research your toy guns. I'm sure they will be lots of use to you, with only two planets left (courtesy by Yor cheese-eating surrender monkeys) and the only other remaining major race being vastly more powerful.
    Spoiler
    Show

Did I really just say two planets? Oh sorry - my mistake. I clearly meant to say one.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

It's just Najmanowicz left - the planet on which N-1 has been killed (although I saw him later, so maybe he has been Schroedinger'd like Jenna Casey), which resulted in the hopeless Yor war declaration and ultimately the Altarians getting the world for their own. One way or another, it will be mine soon. A fitting place to end it all.

I'm sorry if it ruins the suspense, but I think it's safe to assume we win by now. It may take a while, but the Altarians becoming part of the Spiral civilization is only a matter of time. Let's savour the moment, like I do from the deck of the flagship.

Spoiler
    Show

Okay, this is just sad.

Spoiler
    Show

And this is... unexpected. That'd be the first time all seats in the senate are taken by my party since we actually started to solve things in a democratic way. A sign of things to come, for sure.

And not long after, the expected news finally arrive.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Does it mean what I think it means? Let's double check to be absolutely sure.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

That's right. I even visited the United Council of Planets building, and there was nobody else there but me. I am the last man standing, and we know what that means!
    Spoiler
    Show

I have one more week to look through everything before... I win, whatever that actually may mean. I guess the galaxy itself will congratulate me or something. Let's use this week productively. That is:

First, making sure everyone still absolutely loves me.
    Spoiler
    Show

100% approval. They do.

Second, take a look at the Minor Races left standing. They never really had a chance to achieve victory, but they still exist and that's already something by Minor Race standards.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Since the Carinoids were basically in spitting distance of Korath capital, and the LentzLandians declared war on me several times, I'd say both races REALLY lucked out to still be with us.

And finally, third: let's kick back, play video games and surf on the galactic 'net all week. Oh yeah. That's the priviledge of the supreme leader - be really meta.

Now I can finally say: All the lights in the sky are... BELONG TO US!

Cracking bad jokes is a supreme leader priviledge too!

Spoiler
    Show

Wait! Does this mean I will be remembered as a ruthless conqueror after all?

NOOOOOO!!!

*bzzt* End of transmission.

---------------------

Warning! Large spoiler window - endgame summary.
    Spoiler
    Show

And finally, the High Score.
    Spoiler
    Show

That's all folks! Thanks for staying with me during the Let's Play, providing me with constructive input and shanenigans. That was my first LP ever and I learned a lot during its writing - what I was doing good and what... not so good. Maybe I'll write another one in the future, of a different game altogether. Or maybe it'll be another one of GalCiv II, but this time on Suicidal, the highest difficulty level. And just like Tough is tough (although not tough enough, apparently), Suicidal really is suicidal.
    Last edited by Cubey; 2009-11-27 at 07:16 PM.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Banned

Default Re: (Finished) Let's play Galactic Civilizations II! "All the lights in the sky are..

*barges into the chambers of the supreme leader* I demand an explanation. Right now. What is this about me being the scariest woman you know?What exactly did you mean by that? It was bad enough that you took me away from my duties to ensuring that the population was educated in order to draft me for war, but you had to call me scary too?

14. - Top - End - #404
    Banned

Default Re: (Finished) Let's play Galactic Civilizations II! "All the lights in the sky are..

*pre-recorded message, as the chambers are empty. Cubey is in hiding again. Or maybe ascended to a higher plane of existence or whatever happens once you achieve victory*

I think your scariness just demonstrated itself.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Firbolg in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

*applause*

(A tired meme enjoys a brief revival and "I for one welcome our new Spiral overlords" becomes the standard response in all political discussions for several weeks following Cubey's victory.)
    Last edited by kamikasei; 2009-11-27 at 07:23 PM.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Titan in the Playground

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #407
    Titan in the Playground

So, we came in second for "Most lives pointlessly wasted", eh?

Good effort, but I think we could have tried harder there.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

18. - Top - End - #408

It fills my heart with joy to change another LP from "In Progress" to "Complete" in the index. Congrats to you!
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Troll in the Playground

Glad you had the cash to pay for all that death-tech, and ain't you lucky I just happened to have enough extra spare parts to build a Buster Machine in a week...

Sure the parts would have been sent to Kif if his Buster got seriously mauled, but I suppose building a second Buster takes precedence.
    Part of YugiohITP

20. - Top - End - #410
    Banned

Sure the parts would have been sent to Kif if his Buster got seriously mauled
    That assumes there was a force in the galaxy strong enough to do more than just scratch the Buster Machine's paintjob. Well, I guess we have one now, with Buster Machine Edu.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Yay, time to chelebra-

*explodes*
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel, on quest rewards View Post
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm so glad I had that escape pod. I just knew that eventually the enemy would be knocking on my door. You all laughed at me. Said the station would explode before i could get out. Well who is laughing now?

I um.... crap I'm out of gas Anyone want to come find me and pick me up for the victory celebration party?

23. - Top - End - #413
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ObadiahtheSlim View Post
    I'm so glad I had that escape pod. I just knew that eventually the enemy would be knocking on my door. You all laughed at me. Said the station would explode before i could get out. Well who is laughing now?

I um.... crap I'm out of gas Anyone want to come find me and pick me up for the victory celebration party?
    Well, we could, but that would cut into the alcohol budget.

And I'm sure a civic minded citizen like you would hate for that to happen.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Weird that the endgame summary says Altaria is your most productive research colony, considering you didn't even get it until after you stopped researching anything!

As for the Alliance thing--did you check that your enemies actually had the Alliances tech? I'm pretty sure the computer players can form alliances between themselves without it, but they definitely need it to form one with the player.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Ogre in the Playground

This excellent Let's Play made me yearn for this game. I'm starting to get bored with Master of Orion II. The tips you gave are very useful too.
    Formerly known as Discord here and Maladin on avatarspirit.net.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Titan in the Playground

I must be unlucky or terrible at this game. I can hardly win on beginner...
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

27. - Top - End - #417
    Barbarian in the Playground

From what I've found by playing so far, the most important thing is to move and colonise fast. If you don't, you tend to get pinned in by other races, and your growth will be stunted. Also, try to only fight one war at a time. It's cheaper, and easier to find out what sort of loadout your enemy carries so you can counter with proper defense and offense. Also, if you're playing somewhat pacifistic, try to stay out of alliances. The support they give in a war is brilliant, but in peace time, you can find yourself dragged into a war on the other side of the galaxy just because some guy got assassinated.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah the initial colony rush can make or break you. I found challenging to be, well, challenging. Then one game, I did really good on the colony rush one time and the game was a cake walk. I had 11 colonies. My nearest peer had 6, but most were around 3-4. The only thing that was challenging was loosing a lot of my outlier colonies to a mega-event, seperatists form new minor race. Luckly I had enough cash to be able to stand loosing several of my money making colonies and to retake those worlds. It was a while before I went from loosing 200BC a turn to net gain.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Titan in the Playground

Colony rushing early on tends to break my bank, as well as the fact that the last game I played I had one colonisable planet near me, and no others anywhere nearby.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

30. - Top - End - #420
    Bugbear in the Playground

Congratulations, all -- and thanks, Supreme Leader. I must confess, I was expecting a bad joke about Terra Stars.