New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default (3.5) Jaegermonsters

So, for those of you not familiar with 'em, Jaegers are, well...

a race of interestingly pigmented augmented humans with claws and sharp pointy teeth who are also fearless supersoldiers.

As far as I know, though, no one has made a template or race for them for 3.X D&D though.

So... let's see...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Type: Humanoid (or, quite possibly Monstrous Humanoid)
    Size: Medium

Natural Weapons: 2 claws (1d4 to 1d8) and (possibly) a bite (1d4 or less)

I brought them up in the other sub-forum to see if anyone was familiar with any homebrew attempts, and some suggestions have been made.

As it stands bugbear and feral seem like the best jumping off points to start with an attempt to me.

Any thoughts? I'm about to pass out, so I'll be back in a bit once I've collected myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: (3.5) Jaegermonsters

Just one.

Nize Hat!

They seem to live essentially forever, as they can remember fighting at least two hundred years back, and they don't feel pain. Ever. Even when you cut of their arms.
    Nadir We,
    Youth Born,
    Blood Letters,
    Axe Weilders,
    Victors Still.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Don't they also have superhuman strength?

To make them even vaguely playable as a race, they'll need high LA and abysmal WIS (wouldn't say INT was as bad).
    Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Fantastic avatar created by artist extraordinaire, Kwarkpudding

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

A quick search of this forum yielded this result:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38470 by NemoUtopia on 03-24-2007.

Spoiler
    Show

Jägerkin
    Medium Monstrous Humanoid [Augmented Humanoid] (Jägerkin)
    Hit Dice: 2d8+8 (20 hp)
    Initiative: +1
    Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
    Armor Class: 16 (+3 studded leather armor, +1 dexterity, +2 natural armor), touch 11, flat-footed 15
    Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+6
    Attack: Longsword +6 melee (1d8+6/19–20), claw +6 melee (1d4+4), or javelin +3 ranged (1d6+4)
    Full Attack: Longsword +6 melee (1d8+6/19–20), 2 claws +2/-2 (1d4+4 and 1d4+2), or javelin +1 ranged (1d6+4)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Attack Options: Power Attack
    Special Qualities: low-light vision, Jägernose
    Saves: Fort +7, Ref +1, Will +3
    Abilities: Str 19, Dex 13, Con 18, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 8
    Skills: Intimidate -1/+4*, Listen+1, Spot +1

*Jägerkin benefit from their reputations when using Intimidate, and apply their Strength bonus instead of Charisma bonus to Intimidate checks against creatures that understand what they are

Feats: Power Attack
    Environment: Any
    Organization: Solitary, pair, team (3–4), strike team (5–8), squad (11–20 plus 2 3rd-level sergeants and 1 leader of 3rd–6th level), or contingent (30–100 plus 1 3rd-level sergeant per 10 adults, 5 5th-level lieutenants, and 3 7th-level captains)
    Challenge Rating: X (under calculation)
    Treasure: Standard
    Alignment: Usually LN (still under discussion)
    Advancement: 4HD (Medium) and/or By character class
    Level Adjustment: +X (under consideration and discussion)

Jägerkin are Spark Constructs, humans who have taken the Jägerdrought and have been transformed. Jägerkin are usually green of skin and dark black, brown, or purple hair, but their skin tones vary from a pale tan to orcish green to an unassuming purple and fair hair is not unheard of on lighter jägerkin. Jägerkin have sharp, fanglike teeth, slightly pointed ears, and have short, sharp claws. Jägerkin prefer wearing clothing that is simple and serviceable. Usually, they are in uniform, but those on assignment or in wilder areas will dress in a striking style they have taken a preference to. Their equipment is clean and well kept. They are obviously hardy, but vary in height and weight as humans do.

Jägerkin speak a heavily accented Common.

Jägerkin relish combat and tests of physical prowess, seeking out opportunities to put their abilities to good use. While jägerkin are fierce combatants, they are just as fiercely loyal to each other and to the Heterodyne family. Jägerkin will follow orders of a Heterodyne, however much they disagree with those orders, and have a strong sense of honor and brotherhood. Jägerkin are colloquially known as Jägermonsters. Despite their ferocious reputation and love of battle, jägerkin can (and enthusiastically do) mate with humans. The offspring of such a union is always a normal human.

COMBAT

Jägerkin are proficient with all simple weapons, light armor, and two martial weapons, as jägerkin always begin “life” after their creation as hardy warriors. When a jägerkin receives training, they often become members of the fighter class, but jägerkin with barbarian and ranger class levels are not unheard of. Jaegerkin who are on long assignment, especially in wilderness areas, are far more likely to have ranger or barbarian levels, and also advance racially. While jägerkin tend to favor light or no armor and to not use shields because of their predilection to favor mobility, they will use heavier armor and shields if their orders call for it. Jägerkin take to combat with abandon, and while they will not do anything overtly suicidal unless they believe doing so serves the good of the Heterodynes, they are willing to take risks and like to show off their abilities.

Jägernose: Jägerkin have a keen sense of smell, and gain the scent ability because of it. This functions in all ways like normal scent, but a jägerkin also has the ability to identify individuals it has previously encountered as well as a person’s major bloodline. A jägerkin who takes a standard action to smell an individual and is able to identify them if they have previously met by making a Survival check, DC 10. If that individual is directly related or a descendant of someone the jägerkin has met, the jägerkin can identify the family line as well, at a DC of 15. Jägerkin receive a +2 bonus on such checks, and are able to take 10 by using a full round action.

-When a jägerkin uses the Intimidate skill on a target that recognizes the jägerkin as such, it is modified by Strength instead of Charisma. The reputation of jägerkin precedes them across the land.

Advancement: When a jägerkin advances its racial Hit Die by 1, it may remove its racial -2 penalty to either Wisdom or Intelligence. Jägerkin that advance their HD are beyond normal even for their own kind, and have had to survive by developing their intellect and intuition.

JÄGERKIN AS CHARACTERS
    Jägerkin Traits (Ex): Jägerkin possess the following racial traits.
    —+4 Strength, +4 Constitution, Intelligence –2, Wisdom -2. Jägerkin are physically capable, being far stronger and tougher than a normal human. However, jägerkin typically lack foresight and planning abilities, causing them to be rash and often acting without thinking of the consequences first.
    —+2 Natural Armor. Jägerkin have extremely resilient skin that resists blows.
    —A jägerkin’s base land speed is 30 feet.
    —Jägerkin get a +2 racial bonus to Listen and Spot checks.
    —Low-light vision.
    —Jägernose: Jägerkin have the scent ability, as well as keen powers of identification using it. This ability to identify individuals allows a jägerkin to take a standard action to make a Survival check against DC 10. Jägerkin receive a +2 bonus to this check.
    — Jägerkin are proficient with light armor, simple weapons, and any two martial weapons.
    — Jägerkin have natural claws that deal 1d4 damage and can be used as natural weapons.
    —Automatic Languages: Common.
    —Favored Class: Fighter.
    —Level Adjustment: +X
    The jägerkin presented here had the following ability scores before racial adjustments (elite array): Str 15, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8.

I'd give them CR 1. The LA is probably +1.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2009-11-04 at 05:13 AM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Living Construct (the article even class them constructs)
    They definitely have scent
    It says they can take and deal incredible amounts of damage. Perhaps an immunity to pain effects, some mild DR, and if not high Str, perhaps enhanced criticals with all their attacks.
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

I still say that they only have RHD, considering most people in Girl Genius are 1st level, which makes the Jaegermonsters, with their RHD, seem to be able to take huge amounts of damage in comparison to normal humans. This should be accompanied by a Con bonus, definitely, but DR, Regen or Fast Healing is not evident.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

The two HD more than make up for the benefits of two lost mental stats. I vote no LA in light of the HD.

This is definitely well thought out.

Jaegar draught
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ingested DC 20 | Primary: 3d6 ability damage Str, Dex, Con, Int, Wis, Charisma | Secondary: Die. | On Save: Heal any ability damage. Gain Jaegar template.
    GMs 3.5, cWoD, Rogue Trader, Monsterhearts, The Pool, and Fudge. Narrativist, wacky builder, and dancer.

8. - Top - End - #8

NecromancerGuy

Hmm. To that I'd add that if they have 5 ranks in Knowledge: Nobility, then they can take a crack at identifying an individual as a nob of X house without having to be personally familiar with other members of said house.

I'm inclined to agree that with racial hit die, level adjustments usually don't need to be mucked with, since it raises the ECL so they level slower anyway.

I'm gonna go read the Eberron stuff on living constructs to refresh my memory on what living constructs get.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2009-11-04 at 11:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

9. - Top - End - #9

Living constructs basically gain half the construct immunities without losing their con score. They can be healed at half efficiency, but repaired like constructs (which is why only heterodynes can do it!).
    It seems to fit, really. Also, can a +4 con bonus justify ripping a Jäger's arm off?
    Resident Vancian Apologist

10. - Top - End - #10

Honestly, the +4 str , +4 con seemed wimpy. Heterodynes don't think game balance. Give them 3 HD and boost it to +7 str, +7 con.
    GMs 3.5, cWoD, Rogue Trader, Monsterhearts, The Pool, and Fudge. Narrativist, wacky builder, and dancer.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gdiddy View Post
    Honestly, the +4 str , +4 con seemed wimpy. Heterodynes don't think game balance. Give them 3 HD and boost it to +7 str, +7 con.
    Odd ability bonuses are so 3.0.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I looked at making them once, and I used this picture to judge strength:
    http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20050720
    It takes something like a 35 strength to carry a horse that way. So while it may not be balanced, it is shown to be within their realm of possibility.

For those that are curious, here is my logic and work:
    • Horses can be anywhere from a few hundred pounds to about 2000, so that look like a medium sized horse so I called it 1000.
    • The Jager doesn't seem to be encumbered buy dead lifting the horse so I assumed light load.
    • So according to the carrying capacity table a strength of 35 is the weakest a medium 2 legged creature can be and carry 1000 lb as a light load

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

I'd have to agree that Str 35 makes a certain amount of sense. I have to go back and look at some of the Girl Genius stuff. At weakest, they'd have a Str of 29 (lifting 1,400 as a heavy load).

Unfortunately, recreating the comic exactly presents a problem. I think that the Jagerkin that I previously posted reflect the Str in a reasonable game rather than in the comic book sense.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2009-11-07 at 10:00 AM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I agree the 35 strength gets kinda weird, especially since they don't seem to have much else level wise, but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents on the topic of how strong they are.

15. - Top - End - #15

The only thing you really have to maintain if you give them their full strength is the comedic not very efficient way they operate.

The horse carrying is a site gag. If you apply their strength to what they are capable of, according to the rules, you change the challenge/lethality of the setting.

S
    Logo by Serpentine

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

They're capable of 'whatever plot requires' in the comic. Taking another example, would you make the template have such a high CON that they can survive being hanged for days on end?

I'd shoot for the right flavor over achieving perfect consistency with the source in this case.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

If we want to cover them being so capable at carrying, that's a matter of applying either a Dwarven Movement-like ability or perhaps making them be treated as a quadruped for carrying capacity. Call it Sturdy Lifter and treat them as Large Quadrapeds, which will significantly reduce the necessary strength to move so freely with that much weight.

Them's my 2 coppers. Take as you will.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lapak View Post
    Taking another example, would you make the template have such a high CON that they can survive being hanged for days on end?
    That is a specific immunity, not necessarily a high CON...
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

I would make some changes to Jägermonsters from what NemoUtopia had originally posted. I would lose the racial hit die and advance them as fighters.

A jägermonster in Wulfenbach Uniform

Jägermonster
    Medium Monstrous Humanoid (Augmented Human)
    Jägermonster Fighter 1
    Hit Dice: 1d10+7 (12 hp)
    Initiative: +1
    Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
    Armor Class: 16 (+3 studded leather armor, +1 dexterity, +2 natural armor), touch 11, flat-footed 15
    Base Attack/Grapple: +1/+5
    Attack: Longsword +5 melee (1d8+6/19–20) or claw +5 melee (1d4+4), or javelin +2 ranged (1d6+4)
    Full Attack: Longsword +5 melee (1d8+6/19–20) or 2 claws +5 melee (1d4+4), or javelin +2 ranged (1d6+4)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Qualities: Great act of strength, keen scent, low-light vision
    Special Attacks:
    Saves: Fort +6, Ref +4, Will +0
    Abilities: Str 19, Dex 13, Con 18, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 8
    Skills: Climb +8, Intimidate +10, Swim +8
    Feats: Power Attack, Cleave (B), Toughness (B)
    Environment: Any
    Organization: Solitary, pair, team (3–4), strike team (5–8), squad (11–20 plus 2 3rd-level sergeants and 1 leader of 3rd–6th level), or contingent (30–100 plus 1 3rd-level sergeant per 10 adults, 5 5th-level lieutenants, and 3 7th-level captains)
    Challenge Rating: 1
    Treasure: Standard
    Alignment: Usually LN
    Advancement: By character class (favored class: Fighter)
    Level Adjustment: +1

“Any plan where hyu lose hyur hat iz a bad plan.”

Jägermonsters are Spark Constructs—human fighters who have taken the jägerdrought and have been transformed. Jägermonsters are usually green of skin but their skin tones vary from a pale tan to Orcish green. They usually have dark black, brown, or purple hair, but an unassuming lavendar and fair hair is not unheard of on lighter jägermonsters

Jägermonsters have sharp, fang-like teeth, slightly pointed ears, and have short, sharp claws. They prefer wearing clothing that is simple and serviceable. Usually, they wear uniforms, but those on assignment or in wilder areas will dress in any striking style they prefer. Their equipment is clean and well kept. They are inordinately fond of wearing hats. They are obviously hardy, but vary in height and weight as humans do.

Jägermonsters speak a heavily accented Common.

Jägermonsters relish combat and tests of physical prowess, seeking out opportunities to put their abilities to good use. While they are fierce combatants, they are just as fiercely loyal to each other and to the Heterodyne family. Jägermonsters will follow orders of a Heterodyne, however much they disagree with those orders, and have a strong sense of honor and brotherhood.

Despite their ferocious reputation and love of battle, jägermonsters can (and enthusiastically do) mate with humans. The offspring of such a union is always a normal human.

Typically, jägermonsters live to 600-700 years.

COMBAT

Jägermonsters are proficient with all simple weapons, light armor, and two martial weapons, as jägerkin always begin “life” after their creation as hardy warriors. When jägermonsters receive training, they often become members of the fighter class, but some with barbarian and ranger class levels are not unheard of. Jägermonsters who are on long assignment, especially in wilderness areas, are far more likely to have ranger or barbarian levels. While jägermonsters tend to favor light or no armor and tend not to use shields because of their predilection to favor mobility, they will use heavier armor and shields if their orders call for it.

Jägerkin take to combat with abandon. While they will not do anything overtly suicidal unless they believe doing so serves the good of the Heterodynes, they are willing to take risks and like to show off their abilities.

Feats: All jägermonsters begin as Human fighters; they gain the bonus feats for being human and for being a fighter.

Great Act of Strength (Ex): Twice a day, a jägermonster can perform a great act of strength, which temporarily doubles his strength score for 2d4 minutes. Jägermonsters cannot apply this temporary strength bonus to attacks, but use it to carry great weights, after which they are fatigued. If a fatigued jägerkin uses a second great act of strength, he is instead exhausted.

Keen scent (Ex): Jägermonsters have a keen sense of smell, and gain the scent ability because of it. This functions in all ways like normal scent, but a jägerkin also has the ability to identify individuals it has previously encountered as well as a person’s major bloodline. A jägermonster who takes a standard action to smell an individual is able to identify that individual if they have previously met by making a Survival check, DC 10. If that individual is directly related or a descendant of someone the jägerkin has met, the jägerkin can identify the family line as well, at a DC of 15. Jägerkin receive a +2 bonus on such checks, and are able to take 10 by using a full round action.

Skills: Jägermonsters have a +4 racial bonus to Intimidate and apply their Strength bonus rather than Charisma bonus when using this skill.

JÄGERMONSTERS AS CHARACTERS
    Jägermonster Traits (Ex): Jägerkin possess the following racial traits.
    • +4 Strength, +4 Constitution, Intelligence –2, Wisdom -2. Jägerkin are physically capable, being far stronger and tougher than a normal human. However, jägerkin typically lack foresight and planning abilities, causing them to be rash and often acting without thinking of the consequences first.
    • As Augmented Humans, Jägermonsters begin with an extra feat.
    • +2 Natural Armor. Jägerkin have extremely resilient skin that resists blows.
    • A jägermonster's base land speed is 30 feet.
    • Jägermonsters have a +4 racial bonus to Intimidate
    • Low-light vision.
    • Keen scent: Jägermonsters have the scent ability, as well as keen powers of identification using it. This ability to identify individuals allows a jägerkin to take a standard action to make a Survival check against DC 10. Jägerkin receive a +2 bonus to this check.
    • Great Act of Strength: Jägermonsters can lift items at double their strength twice per day for 2d4 minutes after which they are fatigued.
    • Jägermonsters are proficient with light armor, simple weapons, and any two martial weapons.
    • Jägermonsters have natural weapons, 2 claws that deal 1d4 points of damage.
    • Automatic Languages: Common.
    • Favored Class: Fighter.
    • Level Adjustment: +1

Designer Notes: the jägermonster presented here had the following ability scores before racial adjustments (elite array): Str 15, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8. It had 10 skill points. 4 points were put in Climb and Swim and 2 points were put in Intimidate. It has a bonus feat for being human and a second bonus feat for being a fighter.
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2009-11-08 at 05:28 PM. Reason: completely revised