New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default [4e] Retraining at 11th level

So, I'm fiddling in the Character Creator, updating my character for next game, and I realize I haven't been using my "Creation Secret" power; a heroic tier feat... I usually have something better to do with Channel Divinity, and I only have 1 daily item power, anyway (I go more in for Properties and Encounters, myself). So, I look to retrain it.

However, I was under the impression that when you reached Paragon tier, you could begin to retrain heroic tier feats into Paragon tier feats; the list provided to me, however, only included Heroic Tier feats. I found a suitable one (Warforged Tactics), but had I misread, or is there an error in the CB?
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [4e] Retraining at 11th level

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    However, I was under the impression that when you reached Paragon tier, you could begin to retrain heroic tier feats into Paragon tier feats;
    This is correct, per PHB page 28. It is thus common for a level-12 character to have four paragon feats.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

"You can replace heroic tier feats (see page 193) with higher-tier feats, but only one at a time, once per level you gain. For instance, at 11th level, you gain one feat and you can also retrain one of your heroic tier feats, gaining a paragon tier feat in its place. At 12th level you can do the same, so you can potentially have four paragon tier feats at 12th level. (You might find that many of your heroic tier feats remain worthwhile well into higher levels, however.)"

So yes, that might be an error in the character builder.

*ninja'd*

Edit:
    Testing the Character Builder. You can retrain a heroic tier feat to paragon just fine.
    Make sure, under build, you are in the Retraining tab and that you are retraining under the level you are retraining at (so, 11th level) and not the level the feat is at.
    Last edited by Reinboom; 2009-11-05 at 12:18 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

ClericGuy

Are you using the Retraining section in the builder or simply trying to change the feat directly in the feat section?.
    You'll only be able to change a heroic feat for a paragon feat within the retraining section.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by SweetRein View Post
    Make sure, under build, you are in the Retraining tab and that you are retraining under the level you are retraining at (so, 11th level) and not the level the feat is at.
    THAT'S the problem; I retrained it at 8, not at 11. Ok, I can fix that when I get off the desk again.

Thanks, folks.

And.... DONE. Creation Secret became Paragon Defenses (and I also picked up Lightning Reflexes, and a paragon path that gave me Heavy Shield proficiency... I was sick of Hzurr saying "I rolled a 2.... and that still beats your reflex.")
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2009-11-05 at 02:04 PM.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

And.... DONE. Creation Secret became Paragon Defenses (and I also picked up Lightning Reflexes, and a paragon path that gave me Heavy Shield proficiency... I was sick of Hzurr saying "I rolled a 2.... and that still beats your reflex.")
    *Sigh* You're just bound and determined to ruin all of my fun, aren't you? Fine. Let's see how a warforged deals with a rust monster....MUAHAHAHA!

(Actually, what would happen with a warforged and a rust monster? Hmm...interesting...)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Paragon Defenses and Lightening Reflexes both give feat bonuses (as does shield specialization, if you were looking at that) so they don't stack!
    I spent an hour on the edge of dreams,
    I walked between the worlds,
    and when I woke I never knew
    to which side I had fallen

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Hzurr View Post
    (Actually, what would happen with a warforged and a rust monster? Hmm...interesting...)
    Warforged Fighter, seeing a Rust Monster coming: This Is Gonna Suck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Somebody that pisses off a Warlock is going to go down fast. But with a Warlock, death will be a mercy because the Warlock is a secondary controller, and en route to killing you he'll first cripple you, then blind you, then set you on fire, then steal your girlfriend.
    "There is no overkill, there is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'" - Howard Tayler

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

He gets eaten and can reconfigure all of his components with the residuum

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Edge of Dreams View Post
    Paragon Defenses and Lightening Reflexes both give feat bonuses (as does shield specialization, if you were looking at that) so they don't stack!
    I'll double check, but the program seems to have stacked them.

EDIT: Have checked, and it wasn't stacking them. I'd just forgotten that my reflex increased to 17 at 10th level, meaning the +2 for a Heavy Shield and the +2 for Lightning Reflexes resulted in 21, instead of the extra +1 coming from Paragon defenses. Look like it's time to change my retraining!

*Sigh* You're just bound and determined to ruin all of my fun, aren't you? Fine. Let's see how a warforged deals with a rust monster....MUAHAHAHA!
    I'll throw the wizard at it. That's why we have one, isn't it?
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2009-11-05 at 04:04 PM.
    The Cranky Gamer

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Sadly, Lighting Reflexes was pre-PHB2-feat-patch for NADs. Paragon Defences (and Robust Defences) make it mostly obsolete.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Yakk View Post
    Sadly, Lighting Reflexes was pre-PHB2-feat-patch for NADs. Paragon Defences (and Robust Defences) make it mostly obsolete.
    First of all: NADs?

However, I went with Lightning Reflexes over Paragon Defenses... my Will is fine (Warforged Cleric with 16 Wisdom), my Fort is fine (23 Strength), but my reflex is abysmal (10 Int and Dex, and no Shield until 11th level and Paragon). That +2 from Lightning Reflexes brings my reflex, not up to the level of my other defenses, but at least out of the toilet. Sure, I could use a little more Fort and Will, but with Reflex as bad as it was, it was far more important to close up that huge gap in my defense than to shore up my strengths a little more.
    The Cranky Gamer

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

First of all: NADs?
    Non-AC-Defenses. Also as in, "It really hurts when you get hit in the NADs."
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    He gets eaten and can reconfigure all of his components with the residuum
    Because now, oddly, the Rust Monster rusts magic, not metal. Though it only affects heavy armor and weapons, so it still kinda rusts metal...

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

By RAW, actually, nothing...
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Because now, oddly, the Rust Monster rusts magic, not metal. Though it only affects heavy armor and weapons, so it still kinda rusts metal...
    Well, the regular ones still rust metal, the bigger ones eat magic items.

And yes, as KG said, by RAW a Rust Monster can not rust a Warforged. Seems like a reasonable houserule so long as the DM isn't using it to completely cripple any Warforged characters.