New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: 4E question.

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default 4E question.

how much damage is dealt to a character if they've caught on fire? I'm trying to see if a trap will work for my group.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: 4E question.

It depends on the trap, last time I checked. Care to source it?
    "Maybe I'm Gigachad?"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    how much damage is dealt to a character if they've caught on fire? I'm trying to see if a trap will work for my group.
    Depends on the fire. Is it normal fire? Lava from a Red Dragon's volcanic lair? The fires of Hell? The air of the Abyss?

I'd make it X ongoing fire damage (save ends), as appropriate for the level.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    I'd make it X ongoing fire damage (save ends), as appropriate for the level.
    Agreed: there is a chart in DMG2 that shows how much minion damage should be. I'd use that as a baseline for ongoing damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Silver View Post
    House Cannith. We build things.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

it's either going to be magical fire or an oil fire.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Probably 3 to 5 damage per tier.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

it's either going to be magical fire or an oil fire.
    Oil fire is probably D6 or 2D6, using alchemist fire as a base. Magical fire can be whatever you want.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm actually doing a custom fire trap. Mine is flammable air. If the PCs use any form of fire, including magical fire, the trap will go off dealing 2d6 fire + ongoing 5 fire to everything in the room. Acrobatics to halve the damage and get ongoing 2 instead. Since fire acts as a light source and there's no natural light in this particular cave, it might even be oddly beneficial to the players.

How severe do you want it to be? I went with a "limited low" damage amount from a few levels below the party from the chart, because I don't want it to be too much of a bother... But still somewhat of one. How often will the fire go off?

If it just goes off once, I'd choose a "limited" damage. If it goes off several times, I recommend "normal" damage. Then pick low, medium or high based on how severe you want this damage to be. And, of course, pick a row near your player's level. Low normal level 30 damage would be way too high for a level 1 party, obviously... Then, for being on fire, that's what (save ends) conditions are for. 5 per half-tier seems to be a running standard. Half that for very minor ongoing damage. Half tiers are 1-5, 6-10, 11-15, ect... Whenever a Cleric's Healing Word goes up another 1d6.
    Avatar by me. It's Incendius Darkscale, a Good Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer, Demonskin Adept, Prince of Hell, worshiper of the Platinum Dragon (Bahamut), specializing in Fire and Lightning, wielding a staff in each hand.