Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Default 1st Edition score!

I found copies of the 1E Monster Manual (2nd printing) and the Deities & Demigods (with the Cthulhu Mythos) today for a $1 each. :) I'm selling them on Amazon. The Deities & Demigods book is like new, better shape than my copy. :)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: 1st Edition score!

Heh; I paid almost the same (£1) for my copies of the PHB, DMG and OA. That is a darn good haul, though. It sounds like your copy of Deities & Demi Gods is probably worth a fair bit on the collector's market.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

3. - Top - End - #3

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Heh; I paid almost the same (£1) for my copies of the PHB, DMG and OA. That is a darn good haul, though. It sounds like your copy of Deities & Demi Gods is probably worth a fair bit on the collector's market.
    I'm asking $60 for it, plus $3.99 shipping.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

That sounds about right; the Acaeum reports $52 for near mint copies.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hey! You said you were going to give them to me!

J/K

Congrats on the haul! Wish I knew a place here where I could find such. FleaBay is a cruel mistress.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Wow. I went to my semi-local favorite gaming store and bought 9 issues of Dungeon for $15, but that doesn't really compare.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

I got my 1st ed PHB and DMG for 2 dollars each, but I eventually gave them to a friend anyhow :P
    Handbooks: (Hosted on the new MixMax forums)
    [3.5] The Poison Handbook
    [3.5] (New) Master of Shrouds Handbook
    [3.5 Base Class] Healer's Handbook

Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Strategos and Jumilk for the awesome Iron Chef trophies!

8. - Top - End - #8

NinjaGuy

My girlfriend's mother has the original printing of first edition. When I saw it my jaw dropped from the cool nerdiness. It was just sitting on a shelf in their basement lounging room, ontop of my gf's older brother's video games, dvds and what not.

After I got my gf into D&D, she started using the orange plastic dice with her own as 'good luck dice'.

9. - Top - End - #9

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Crossblade View Post
    My girlfriend's mother has the original printing of first edition. When I saw it my jaw dropped from the cool nerdiness. It was just sitting on a shelf in their basement lounging room, ontop of my gf's older brother's video games, dvds and what not.

After I got my gf into D&D, she started using the orange plastic dice with her own as 'good luck dice'.
    All of my original 1E books are within arms reach at the moment. But I bought them when they were originally released. :)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Mine were acquired free and third hand (My parents bought them second hand, and I discovered them and was basically given them at about 8), but I am missing a couple of books.

11. - Top - End - #11

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Random_person View Post
    Mine were acquired free and third hand (My parents bought them second hand, and I discovered them and was basically given them at about 8), but I am missing a couple of books.
    To the best of my knowledge I have all of the 1e hardcovers in my collection. Though after thirty years of use s few are a tad worn. I have all of the classic modules as well. Heck, I still have 1st printings of 1E Gamma World, Metamorphosis Alpha, C&C, T&T, V&V, Chill, Marvel Heroes and Star Frontiers. :) Those boxed sets are space hogs though.

My collection covers 60' of shelving space. :)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

My first edition books are on the other side of the room, with the rest of my D&D stuff. The copy of the DMG I think of as mine (I have two, but one is the original cover, purchased for collecting and having a spare) I bought second-hand, and has been beautifully colored by the previous owner. He went through and colored all of the illustrations in colored pencil, and I can barely look at a non-colored one anymore without thinking something is wrong.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Two Tales of Tellene, available from DriveThruFiction
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Avatar is from local user Mehangel
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.