New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Alternate Source Spell questions

According to how I understand it, a character who is a Wizard 1 / Cleric 8 could copy, say, fireball into his spellbook from a scroll or a borrowed book, then he could prepare the spell as a 3rd-level divine spell (as a 7th-level caster). Is this right, or do I just not understand exactly what Alternate Source Spell is supposed to do?

Now, assuming the above is correct, could the character choose to apply Arcane Thesis to the spell (since it is an arcane spell afterall) and still prepare it with Alternate Source Spell (since it is a metamagic feat) and still gain the effects of Arcane Thesis?

Assuming the above is correct, is it just me or is there a lot of untapped potential abuse with this feat?
    Custom Lycanthropes Follows all rules.
    XXXGrimlock, Were-tyrannosaurus warforged. CR 13, ECL 20
    XXXLigear Ohmai, Werebear anthro tiger lion barbarian. CR 18

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: Alternate Source Spell questions

You misunderstand it:

"An alternative-sourced spell uses up a spell slot from the class that normally grants the spell."

If you cannot cast spells of a certain level in the class that gives you access to the spell (wizard, in your example), you cannot cast it. The fact that you have divine spell slots through your Cleric class levels is irrelevant.

AltSS does not allow you to use slots from the other class; it just changes the type of the spell that you are casting. This tends to have minor effects that (imho) probably aren't worth the feat: a divine spell will not be subject to arcane failure chance, etc.