New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default [4e] Item or Creature Feature

So, I'm looking at converting the Haunted Halls of Eveningstar to 4e (because I maintain you can play 4e with the earlier settings), and am looking through the Monster Manual. Several creatures have weapon attacks with special features... for example, an Efreet Cinderlord's scimitar dos 2d10 damage+7 damage (appropriate to size, strength, and level), but also does ongoing 5 fire damage.

Is that ongoing 5 fire damage (and similar effects on other monsters) inherent to the sword, or to the efreet? Is it that a Cinderlord's scimitar does on going 5 fire, even if someone else picks it up, or is the Cinderlord using an at-will power that does 2|W| + 5 ongoing fire?
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [4e] Item or Creature Feature

In 4e, it would typically be a creature power, not an item property. The thing with making it an item property is that your PCs may be able to use it. Even if it's too large for a PC to use, there's the transfer enchantment ritual, which would put it on a PC weapon. Of course, if you want your PCs able to use it, you can make it an item.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Yeah, I'm going to go with an at-will. I'd say the rule of thumb is, "Would I mind the party picking up the weapon and using it?"

Another question worth considering: "Would it make sense for the monster to lose the ability without the weapon?" In this case, would the Efreet be unable to deal the ongoing fire damage if he had a different sword? I'd say probably not.

4. - Top - End - #4

If it has the weapon keyword and requires a weapon, as per the... DMG or MM, it can be wielded by PCs, but they don't gain proficiency in it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

It's a weapon power (aka the flaming sword) but a PC will only be able to use it once per day, and only if they haven't used too many other items yet during that day, because they lack the karmic esoteric radiant flamey essence that efreeti have.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

I think the important question to ask is: If the Efreet were unarmed, would people he thwacked be set on fire? If yes, then make the burning a property of his attacks. The next question to ask is: If somebody else uses the sword, do they catch stuff on fire? If yes, then make the burning a property of the sword. Note that these two questions are not an either or set. At least one must be yes, but both could be yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.