New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default How much to power attack for?

Does anyone have a good system for determining how much they should power attack for? Right now I am playing a combat Cleric with a Guisarme. With Divine Power up I have a BAB of 11 to use to power attack with (for a total mod of +19 on the first strike). Is there a set percentage that is generally best to power attack for?
    The knight in glamered spiked armor

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: How much to power attack for?

Use this:
    http://donjon.bin.sh/d20/power/

Knowing how much to PA for requires a bit of metagaming, since it differs depending on AC.

If, at any point, I write something that appears humorous, just chalk it up to your twisted imagination.
    Spoiler
    Show

Winnie the Pooh by Sneak.
    Fishing by Dr. Bath.

3. - Top - End - #3

There's a formula to use, but it takes a while to factor out.

I'd need to know your damage per hit without power attack to calculate.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

Take the shock trooper feat and never look back...otherwise, try to calculate how much AC the other would have (usually easy with the armor wearing types and arcane casters) and then try to be able to hit on a 10....that would be ideal, though difficult in most cases especially after power attack...

Count approximately what you need to roll to hit...10 should be average and then above that is risk calculation.
    "God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time." (Good Omens - Terry Pratchett)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

It depends on iteratives though. Generally later on with enough iteratives, you want to hit on 2 and PA any excess you have afterwards (more on Charges, of course). Run some numbers through the calculator. You'll get a hang of it soon enough.

Oh, if opponent has DR, the value of PA increases dramatically. Just something to keep in mind; it's really a factor of your base damage.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2009-11-08 at 07:08 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by UglyPanda View Post
    Use this:
    http://donjon.bin.sh/d20/power/

Knowing how much to PA for requires a bit of metagaming, since it differs depending on AC.

ugh, that's not metagaming - the fact that PA itself uses a number means that you have to put "fighter's guess as to how good the enemy's armor is" in terms of a number, but the core concept of "fighter guesses how good the enemy's armor is and puts any fighting ability he doesn't need to score a hit into putting more damage" isn't metagaming.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

I said a bit, not a lot. I'm not one of those "Oh noes, you know dragons have low touch AC types!", I'm assuming that the OP isn't going to bring a laptop to the table, so he has to know what the ACs are way ahead of time if he uses that.

Edit:
    Of course, he could go the OCD route and write out the best amount to PA for for each AC from 20 below to 20 above, put it on a sheet, and bring the sheet to the table.
    Last edited by UglyPanda; 2009-11-08 at 07:23 PM.

If, at any point, I write something that appears humorous, just chalk it up to your twisted imagination.
    Spoiler
    Show

Winnie the Pooh by Sneak.
    Fishing by Dr. Bath.