Level: Drd 4
    Components: V, S, M, DF
    Casting time: 10 minutes
    Range: Touch
    Target: Dead creature touched
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: None; see text
    Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

With this spell, you bring back a dead creature in another body, provided that its death occurred no more than one week before the casting of the spell and the subject’s soul is free and willing to return. If the subject’s soul is not willing to return, the spell does not work; therefore, a subject that wants to return receives no saving throw.

Since the dead creature is returning in a new body, all physical ills and afflictions are repaired. The condition of the remains is not a factor. So long as some small portion of the creature’s body still exists, it can be reincarnated, but the portion receiving the spell must have been part of the creature’s body at the time of death. The magic of the spell creates an entirely new young adult body for the soul to inhabit from the natural elements at hand. This process takes 1 hour to complete. When the body is ready, the subject is reincarnated.

A reincarnated creature recalls the majority of its former life and form. It retains any class abilities, feats, or skill ranks it formerly possessed. Its class, base attack bonus, base save bonuses, and hit points are unchanged. Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution scores depend partly on the new body. First eliminate the subject’s racial adjustments (since it is no longer of his previous race) and then apply the adjustments found below to its remaining ability scores. The subject’s level (or Hit Dice) is reduced by 1. If the subject was 1st level, its new Constitution score is reduced by 2. (If this reduction would put its Con at 0 or lower, it can’t be reincarnated). This level/HD loss or Constitution loss cannot be repaired by any means.

It’s possible for the change in the subject’s ability scores to make it difficult for it to pursue its previous character class. If this is the case, the subject is well advised to become a multiclass character.

For a humanoid creature, the new incarnation is determined using the following table. For nonhumanoid creatures, a similar table of creatures of the same type should be created.

A creature that has been turned into an undead creature or killed by a death effect can’t be returned to life by this spell. Constructs, elementals, outsiders, and undead creatures can’t be reincarnated. The spell cannot bring back a creature who has died of old age.
    d% Incarnation Str Dex Con
    01 Bugbear +4 +2 +2
    02–13 Dwarf +0 +0 +2
    14–25 Elf +0 +2 –2
    26 Gnoll +4 +0 +2
    27–38 Gnome –2 +0 +2
    39–42 Goblin –2 +2 +0
    43–52 Half-elf +0 +0 +0
    53–62 Half-orc +2 +0 +0
    63–74 Halfling –2 +2 +0
    75–89 Human +0 +0 +0
    90–93 Kobold –4 +2 –2
    94 Lizardfolk +2 +0 +2
    95–98 Orc +4 +0 +0
    99 Troglodyte +0 –2 +4
    100 Other

The reincarnated creature gains all abilities associated with its new form, including forms of movement and speeds, natural armor, natural attacks, extraordinary abilities, and the like, but it doesn’t automatically speak the language of the new form.

A wish or a miracle spell can restore a reincarnated character to his or her original form.

Material Component: Rare oils and unguents worth a total of least 1,000 gp, spread over the remains.

By RAW isn't reincarnate a viable option for immortality? You should be able to age until venerable, get the mental bonuses that goes with that, off your self before dieing of old age, and have a party member or cohort reincarnate you back as a young adult of a new race. If you start as a human you get your bonus feat, skill points, and the benefit of racial bonuses. Or if you add a wish to the deal you can stay the same race just in a new younger body.

A party with two druids can effectively reach immortality at 7th level, I can't think of a faster or cheaper way to achieve it.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Reincarnation & Immortality

By RAW, it is.

If you die of old age, though, then you have a problem.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Druid lynch mob comes with some vague excuse about "unnatural" and screws you over.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Nah, not druid lynch mobs, just Maruts.
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsman View Post
    By RAW, it is.

If you die of old age, though, then you have a problem.
    The only time that should ever be a pressing problem is if you manage to somehow reincarnate as a fruit fly.

6. - Top - End - #6

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    The only time that should ever be a pressing problem is if you manage to somehow reincarnate as a fruit fly.
    You wouldn't be able to cast the spell anyway.

Unless you have Natural Spell.

Unless your DM banned it.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsman View Post
    You wouldn't be able to cast the spell anyway.

Unless you have Natural Spell.

Unless your DM banned it.
    The person who cast the spell on you smashes you and casts again.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Foryn Gilnith View Post
    Druid lynch mob comes with some vague excuse about "unnatural" and screws you over.
    That is assuming that a Marut death squad does not arrive first to end your attempt to avoid the grave.

That or both groups arrive and work together.
    Yet another Touhou fan in the playground.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨

9. - Top - End - #9

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hadessniper View Post
    The person who cast the spell on you smashes you and casts again.
    Unless they ended up as a fruit fly as well.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin89 View Post
    That is assuming that a Marut death squad does not arrive first to end your attempt to avoid the grave.

That or both groups arrive and work together.
    They are a solitary CR 15 chances are any party using this will be able to handle them easily.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

They are a solitary CR 15
    A party with two druids can effectively reach immortality at 7th level,
    lolwut

Less snarkily, that's why I suggested a druidic mob. More flexible than the marut's listing.

The fastest way is to become a Necropolitan, as per Libris Mortis. Can be engaged as early as levels 2-3.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Couldn't you just become an Elan at 1st?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

That is indeterminably expensive, and may not satisfy the "cheapest" part.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

I suppose the Marut's intervention would depend on how often you were Reincarnating. I don't have access to any books at the moment but let's say for point of argument that if you lived a nonviolent life that you could get about 100 years out of one Reincarnate. One 4th level spell every hundred years probably isn't going to cause much of a blip on the radar.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Why don't all Liches get mauled by Maruts?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think undead register to them. Otherwise there wouldn't be many left. Might be they don't go after anything that's naturally immortal, else they'd be smacking elans and suchlike too.
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hazkali View Post
    let's say for point of argument that if you lived a nonviolent life that you could get about 100 years out of one Reincarnate. One 4th level spell every hundred years probably isn't going to cause much of a blip on the radar.
    Even in you lived a violent life you can use Resurrection without attracting the Marut's attention, until you start getting to the old age penalties there is really no reason to use Reincarnate.
    Last edited by Hadessniper; 2009-11-09 at 07:45 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

it must be obscene disregard to death before a marut comes...
    And why would the other druid be a fruit fly as well? you stagger the attempts.

I am more concerned about the level loss.

Also, if you are lucky, you reincarnate as an elf...
    Last edited by taltamir; 2009-11-09 at 07:48 PM.
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Why aren't you casting Last Breath then taltamir? It has no level loss, but must be made within 1 round of death.
    But other than that Reincarnate spell.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Why aren't you casting Last Breath then taltamir? It has no level loss, but must be made within 1 round of death.
    But other than that Reincarnate spell.
    Does last breath reset your age like reincarnate does? if so, it is the better spell.

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Hell if it where just druids doing this they could just use their 'A Thousand Faces' class ability and look the same after they come back.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

or wear a hat of disguise :).

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Start flying, sell the Marut's corpse / full-plate, buy another reincarnation

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Radiun View Post
    Start flying, sell the Marut's corpse / full-plate, buy another reincarnation
    Wow you can fund your immortality with the corpses of Maruts attacking you for being immortal. That is the coolest thing ever.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Wow you can fund your immortality with the corpses of Maruts attacking you for being immortal. That is the coolest thing ever.
    also, you gain XP from killing them... specialize in killing maruts.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hazkali View Post
    I suppose the Marut's intervention would depend on how often you were Reincarnating. I don't have access to any books at the moment but let's say for point of argument that if you lived a nonviolent life that you could get about 100 years out of one Reincarnate. One 4th level spell every hundred years probably isn't going to cause much of a blip on the radar.
    Yes it is, Maruts hunt those that deny death. Even if you are casting one 4th level spell every hundred years, you are still denying death, you will still be targeted, and once you are identified you will be hunted until your eventual extermination. If you manage to survive long enough Zelekhuts, who hunt those who deny justice (and to Mechanus, who build them, you are), will join them.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by taltamir View Post
    also, you gain XP from killing them... specialize in killing maruts.
    Oooh... Take a couple levels of Ranger for Favored Enemy (Construct)...

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zeful View Post
    Yes it is, Maruts hunt those that deny death. Even if you are casting one 4th level spell every hundred years, you are still denying death, you will still be targeted, and once you are identified you will be hunted until your eventual extermination. If you manage to survive long enough Zelekhuts, who hunt those who deny justice (and to Mechanus, who build them, you are), will join them.
    So a 80 year old human who was killed and has Reincarnation cast on him would bring down the wrath of a Marut? How about a 70 year old, or a 60 year old. If a 30 year old gets it cast on him he is technically gaining extra years he needs to be smitten...
    Last edited by Hadessniper; 2009-11-09 at 08:19 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zeful View Post
    Yeah, they hunt down all of those. Other than, of course, Liches, Elans, Warforged, undead, Green Spice Addicts, Dragonwrought Kobolds, Elemental Savants, and any of a number of other races I'm forgetting.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

So a 80 year old human who was killed and has Reincarnation cast on him would bring down the wrath of a Marut? How about a 70 year old, or a 60 year old. If a 30 year old gets it cast on him he is technically gaining extra years he needs to be smitten...
    There is a vast difference between using Reincarnation for functional immortality, and using it to revive yourself from death with no other option available.

Besides, Inevitables don't have very good informational gathering SLAs. So the longer you live the closer to 100% detection the situation becomes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    Yeah, they hunt down all of those. Other than, of course, Liches, Elans, Warforged, undead, Green Spice Addicts, Dragonwrought Kobolds, Elemental Savants, and any of a number of other races I'm forgetting.
    Warforged do not age, and Undead aren't alive. They don't qualify. Besides, Mecahnus is an infinite plane, so there are an infinite number of Maruts. So they are perfectly capable of hunting down two druids who keep reincarnating each other along with anybody else they can find.
    Last edited by Zeful; 2009-11-09 at 08:53 PM.