New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default UMD and Me - FTW

So, my DM recently granted my Crusader/Paladin/Ruby Knight Windicator (who has about 40 Charisma) an item that gives him his level to all Charisma-related skills. He is level 32.

Now, obviously, my first action next level (and levels come quickly in our campaigns) will be to put a single rank in UMD, because between that and our near-bottomless supply of gold, there is so much win to be had.

Now, Timestop is the obvious use of it, allowing me to self-buff and lay out some battlefield control.

What other uses can you think of?
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: UMD and Me - FTW

A question could be: why did you wait so long? with 40 cha, there was no need for a +32...

Anyway: wand of glibness. Then procede to bluff major demons/devils/whateveryouwant (starting from a minimum of +77, not counting ranks in bluff). After they revealed all their secret plans, allies, etc., you can smite 'em.
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2009-11-10 at 10:36 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    A question could be: why did you wait so long? with 40 cha, there was no need for a +32...

Anyway: wand of glibness. Then (starting from a +78) procede to bluff major demons/devils/whateveryouwant. After they revealed all their secret plans, allies, etc., you can smite 'em.
    I actually already have permanent Glibness, from the same item that's giving me the +level to those skills.
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Get a wand for every level 1-4 spell. Yes, every. Now you are ready for any utility situation. If your money isn't that bottomless, get multiple scrolls of each and wands for the major ones. Leave out non-utility spells in this case. Store in handy haversack(s).
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2009-11-10 at 12:28 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Does transparency exist between UMD and UPD? If so... dorjes, dorjes, dorjes! A dorje is like a wand, only better because it can go up to 9th level. Use them, and use them well.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Does transparency exist between UMD and UPD? If so... dorjes, dorjes, dorjes! A dorje is like a wand, only better because it can go up to 9th level. Use them, and use them well.
    Typically my DM considers Psionics a branch of magic, so I will have to look into this.

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    Get a wand for every level 1-4 spell. Yes, every. Now you are ready for any utility situation. If your money isn't that bottomless, get multiple scrolls of each and wands for the major ones. Leave out non-utility spells in this case. Store in handy haversack(s).
    To illustrate the bottomlessness of our money supply: We can have anything up to a +5 item, so long as we have access to it, and our funds.
    Last edited by Mongoose87; 2009-11-11 at 10:46 PM.