Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location

    Default Charger build in Pathfinder

    How would you build a 2-handed charger build in Pathfinder? In terms of feats?

    Basically all 3.5 books are allowed but Pathfinder replaces PHB.

    With Power Attack being limmited, it seems like Leap Attack is a much less attractive option - is there another way to go?

    Please no "Pathfinder sucks" replies - that doesn't help me.
    Last edited by Runeclaw; 2009-11-11 at 07:30 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Mongoose87's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Charger build in Pathfinder

    I'd say power attack+leap attack+shock trooper is still pretty viable, though shock trooper is less necessary, since your power attack is capped at 1 per five levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Starbuck_II's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Enterprise, Alabama
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Charger build in Pathfinder

    Quote Originally Posted by Runeclaw View Post
    How would you build a 2-handed charger build in Pathfinder? In terms of feats?

    Basically all 3.5 books are allowed but Pathfinder replaces PHB.

    With Power Attack being limmited, it seems like Leap Attack is a much less attractive option - is there another way to go?

    Please no "Pathfinder sucks" replies - that doesn't help me.
    Can you use Beta Feats? Overhand Chop is pretty good.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Charger build in Pathfinder

    In Core Pathfinder, the Core Charger is better than ever; you don't even need True Strike now. Just pick up Power Attack, Spirited Charge and a mount (Leadership one if you must) and you're pretty much done. Then just PA people into oblivion on a mounted charge with a Lance. Max out Str.

    Of course, your total damage output is far lesser than that of the 3.5 Core Charger, but c'est la vie. You need less work to hit with it since you aren't PAing your entire BAB away.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2009-11-11 at 08:07 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground
     
    UglyPanda's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007

    Default Re: Charger build in Pathfinder

    Wait, why would someone need True Strike? Sure True Strike helps, it always helps. But it's not like you have a to-hit bonus of +0.

    I'm honestly confused here.
    Avatar by Serpentine

    If, at any point, I write something that appears humorous, just chalk it up to your twisted imagination.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Winnie the Pooh by Sneak.
    Fishing by Dr. Bath.


  6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Charger build in Pathfinder

    Quote Originally Posted by UglyPanda View Post
    Wait, why would someone need True Strike? Sure True Strike helps, it always helps. But it's not like you have a to-hit bonus of +0.

    I'm honestly confused here.
    Because the Core Charger Power Attacks for 20 (or 18 for Dragon Disciple builds). Without Shock Trooper. Your To Hit is around +30 or so, but to be safe and avoid miss chances, you should always use True Strike. You still only reach 200-300 points of damage, so every point of PA counts; the Tarrasque is merely gonna be scratching after that.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2009-11-11 at 08:57 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    OrcBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Charger build in Pathfinder

    I'd also recommend choosing Paladin for the class, assuming that's up for discussion. Smite Evil works really well for chargers, now, since it lasts the entire combat, and it increases your damage by a very respectable amount. (Plus, you get a better mount to work with.)

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2008

    Default Re: Charger build in Pathfinder

    Double the paladin thing. I made a paladin with a giant eagle mount (purchase) and accidentally broke the game. That was just PA + SE + 3x charge damage. No need for pounce/etc.

    Didn't help that almost everything was a demon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

    Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Mongoose87's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Charger build in Pathfinder

    Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Double the paladin thing. I made a paladin with a giant eagle mount (purchase) and accidentally broke the game. That was just PA + SE + 3x charge damage. No need for pounce/etc.

    Didn't help that almost everything was a demon.
    Someone's DM needs to start making him fight Neutral enemies. Of course, then you'll just go Gray Guard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2008

    Default Re: Charger build in Pathfinder

    ...I was planning on it.

    Although it was party dynamics than urges for smite chaos.

    Although the advanced CR 16 dragon-turtle was hilarious. Surprise round: 138 crit attack. The party got like 100. I full attacked for 120ish. It never got an action. Level 10 >.< Would have been a lot more with regular sneak attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

    Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •