New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 41
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Temotei's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Gender
    Male

    Default [3.5] Unarmed Feat [PEACH]

    One-Two Punch [General]
    You can quickly string together unarmed attacks, seemingly blending them into one.
    Prerequisites: Str 13, Dex 15, Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist, base attack bonus +6 (or flurry of blows class feature)
    Benefits: When you make a full-attack action while unarmed, you add a cumulative +1 bonus to damage and attack rolls per strike after the first. These bonuses continue to stack as long as your attacks are focused on one opponent, and no attacks miss. A character with this feat who hits an opponent with all attacks in a round would have damage and attack bonuses equal to +0/+1/+2/+3. The quickness of these strikes causes the enemy to be dazed if two or more attacks hit, unless they make a successful Fortitude saving throw of DC 10 + 1/2 BAB + Str modifier (if you are a monk, you may use Wis instead). For each attack that hits after the second, the DC goes up by 1. Mindless creatures are immune to the daze effect.
    Special: A fighter may select One-Two Punch as one of their fighter bonus feats.
    This feat only applies to unarmed attacks--no natural weapons (except the monk's unarmed attacks, which are sometimes counted as such).
    Last edited by Temotei; 2010-07-16 at 03:36 PM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Unarmed Feat [PEACH]

    is doing so a standard action, a full action, or something you can tack onto a single attack?

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    SLC
    Gender
    Male

    Post Re: [3.5] Unarmed Feat [PEACH]

    What I could see working out well with this is rather than the damage improving by base, set it so each consecutive attack deals a cumulative +1 damage

    In essence, a 20th level character with 5 attacks would deal a +1/+2/+3/+4/+5 damage off each attack in a full round action. To me, this is a better process with character's that aren't fighters. Makes it more available to characters of more than the melee classes with very little work. Also, the damage should reset each round in order to maintain game balance. As for the dazed status effect, set it so if they connect all attacks they make in a round (but if not, then the dazed should not apply or to a lesser version such as stunned or something else), they should have to make a static DC such as, STR + BAB + 1 for each successful attack landed in that action. Just my thought on it.
    Last edited by XxScarab; 2009-11-12 at 05:19 AM. Reason: Clarification
    I Am A:
    Neutral Good Human Sorcerer (3rd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength- 15
    Dexterity- 16
    Constitution- 14
    Intelligence- 15
    Wisdom- 12
    Charisma- 15

    GENERATION 19: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Unarmed Feat [PEACH]

    I personally feel that this is basically the "snap kick" feat from ToB but not as clearly written.

    the rules governing how this feat functions needs to be cleaned up or else you end up with a feat that ends up muddling up the ruling.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Temotei's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Unarmed Feat [PEACH]

    Quote Originally Posted by elliot20
    I personally feel that this is basically the "snap kick" feat from ToB but not as clearly written.
    There's some difference. Reread the entry for Snap Kick, then reread the new version of this, and tell me what you think. Suggestions are greatly appreciated. Also, I agree that it was poorly written. It should be better now.

    Quote Originally Posted by elliot20
    is doing so a standard action, a full action, or something you can tack onto a single attack?
    Please read the feat.

    Quote Originally Posted by XxScarab
    ...lesser version such as stunned or something else
    Advice taken on your points other than stunning. I'm still revising the daze DC.

    EDIT: Now, if all attacks hit, they have to make a save or be dazed. If not all of the attacks hit, then they're dazzled unless they make the same save. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Temotei; 2010-07-16 at 03:38 PM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Baron Corm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Avatar by Kymme
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Unarmed Feat [PEACH]

    The feat as you have it now says nothing about requiring you to strike unarmed

    The save DC you made is a little weird. (10 + 1/2 BAB + Dexterity modifier + number of attacks) would be more standard.

    As for balance, it's adding an average of 2.5 to attack, so that portion is about 2.5x as good as Weapon Focus. The dazing effect is a nice touch and I think it's a balanced feat.

    I don't think you should make creatures immune to critical hits immune to the daze. Any creatures who deserve to be immune to dazing already have that listed in their stat block.

    Dazzling is a very weak condition, and it makes hitting with all 4 attacks a bit less special, so I would just drop that.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Temotei's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Unarmed Feat [PEACH]

    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Corm View Post
    The feat as you have it now says nothing about requiring you to strike unarmed

    The save DC you made is a little weird. (10 + 1/2 BAB + Dexterity modifier + number of attacks) would be more standard.

    As for balance, it's adding an average of 2.5 to attack, so that portion is about 2.5x as good as Weapon Focus. The dazing effect is a nice touch and I think it's a balanced feat.
    Thanks much. I accidentally deleted the requirement to be unarmed when I edited the feat. Makes me think of Lightning Fists.

    Thank you very much for solving that DC problem. It makes me feel much better to know it's fixed...

    Cool. Baron Corm thinks it's a balanced feat. Woot! I'm moving up!

    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Corm
    Dazzling is a very weak condition, and it makes hitting with all 4 attacks a bit less special, so I would just drop that.
    The dazzling was added because of a previous suggestion. I'll remove it for now. And probably forever, unless someone comes up with a good reason to keep it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Corm
    I don't think you should make creatures immune to critical hits immune to the daze. Any creatures who deserve to be immune to dazing already have that listed in their stat block.
    I needed that input.

    Also, I just thought of this. Should there be a requirement for BAB? I'm thinking not, but it would fit with the fluff I put in there (stringing attacks).
    Last edited by Temotei; 2009-11-12 at 05:28 PM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    In the Playground

    Default Re: [3.5] Unarmed Feat [PEACH]

    Oooh, yeah, if there isn't a BAB requirement then it can be taken at a very low level, and you get people forcing saves vs. daze whenever their 'full attack' of one attack hits. It should require at least +6 BAB so you can't do it with just one attack, probably. Usually people will have it that BAB anyways, as it requires several feats for prerequisites, but it's a nice safety.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Temotei's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Unarmed Feat [PEACH]

    Quote Originally Posted by Icewalker
    Oooh, yeah, if there isn't a BAB requirement then it can be taken at a very low level, and you get people forcing saves vs. daze whenever their 'full attack' of one attack hits. It should require at least +6 BAB so you can't do it with just one attack, probably. Usually people will have it that BAB anyways, as it requires several feats for prerequisites, but it's a nice safety.
    My thoughts.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    SLC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Unarmed Feat [PEACH]

    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Corm View Post
    I don't think you should make creatures immune to critical hits immune to the daze. Any creatures who deserve to be immune to dazing already have that listed in their stat block.

    Dazzling is a very weak condition, and it makes hitting with all 4 attacks a bit less special, so I would just drop that.
    Most of the creatures that are immune to critical hits are that way because they have no real nervous systems for vital strikes or things of that nature. By the same rationale, they wouldn't technically be capable of being dazed.

    I do like the change up you did with the save DC, it does make a bit of sense. Not sure about using the dexterity modifier though. Reason I suggested strength was it would represent the force of the impact, not the speed.
    Last edited by XxScarab; 2009-11-12 at 08:07 PM.
    I Am A:
    Neutral Good Human Sorcerer (3rd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength- 15
    Dexterity- 16
    Constitution- 14
    Intelligence- 15
    Wisdom- 12
    Charisma- 15

    GENERATION 19: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Godskook's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008

    Default Re: [3.5] Unarmed Feat [PEACH]

    I recommend changing the wording from:

    "you may add a cumulative +1 bonus to damage and attack rolls per strike"

    to something like:

    "Your penalty for iterative attacks when using this feat is -4"

    Also, basing the DC on the number of attacks is a little goofy, since additional attacks aren't too hard to come by, if you're looking for them.

    And then there is the question of how this interacts with true-natural weapons.
    Avatar by Assassin89
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Temotei's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Unarmed Feat [PEACH]

    Quote Originally Posted by Godskook
    And then there is the question of how this interacts with true-natural weapons.
    Care to elaborate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Godskook
    Also, basing the DC on the number of attacks is a little goofy, since additional attacks aren't too hard to come by, if you're looking for them.
    I suppose it doesn't make much sense either. The blindingly fast blows seem so fast that they're one, but if that's the case, it doesn't make sense that more blows would make the daze effect more...effective, because it still seems like one blow. Advice taken.

    Quote Originally Posted by Godskook
    "you may add a cumulative +1 bonus to damage and attack rolls per strike"

    to something like:

    "Your penalty for iterative attacks when using this feat is -4"
    Hmm...I'll say something similar for attack rolls. Damage is staying though, unless someone comes up with a very good reason to get rid of it.

    EDIT: It's wordier, but it follows your advice, while still mechanically doing the same thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by XxScarab
    Most of the creatures that are immune to critical hits are that way because they have no real nervous systems for vital strikes or things of that nature. By the same rationale, they wouldn't technically be capable of being dazed.
    The dazing effect is supposed to happen because they're so...dazed...from the attacks being so crazily fast and increasingly powerful. So the nervous system argument wouldn't really work for that. I'll add that mindless creatures are immune, though, by the same logic.

    Quote Originally Posted by XxScarab
    I do like the change up you did with the save DC, it does make a bit of sense.
    Agreed.

    Quote Originally Posted by XxScarab
    Not sure about using the dexterity modifier though. Reason I suggested strength was it would represent the force of the impact, not the speed.
    Both would work for this feat's ability. Maybe I should allow either one (whichever is higher). Thoughts?
    Last edited by Temotei; 2009-11-12 at 09:22 PM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    SLC
    Gender
    Male

    Lightbulb Re: [3.5] Unarmed Feat [PEACH]

    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei221 View Post
    The dazing effect is supposed to happen because they're so...dazed...from the attacks being so crazily fast and increasingly powerful. So the nervous system argument wouldn't really work for that. I'll add that mindless creatures are immune, though, by the same logic.
    Setting so mindless creatures such as most undead, constructs, and the such would be immune would work out. Suppose it sets up for definition on how the attack works exactly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei221 View Post
    Both would work for this feat's ability. Maybe I should allow either one (whichever is higher). Thoughts?
    So, when it comes to defining the effect of the damage, strength represents the power while dexterity shows the ability to confuse the target. I can see where you are going with either one, but because of the damage aspect of the attack I'd still go with strength. Maybe set up another feat that would allow them to set additional bonuses like an Improved One-Two Punch. Not sure exactly how to set that up though...
    I Am A:
    Neutral Good Human Sorcerer (3rd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength- 15
    Dexterity- 16
    Constitution- 14
    Intelligence- 15
    Wisdom- 12
    Charisma- 15

    GENERATION 19: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Temotei's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Unarmed Feat [PEACH]

    Quote Originally Posted by XxScarab
    So, when it comes to defining the effect of the damage, strength represents the power while dexterity shows the ability to confuse the target. I can see where you are going with either one, but because of the damage aspect of the attack I'd still go with strength. Maybe set up another feat that would allow them to set additional bonuses like an Improved One-Two Punch. Not sure exactly how to set that up though...
    I'm not sure an Improved One-Two Punch would be needed. This feat is already serving its job well. If you elaborated more--after some thought--and had some thoughts for it...it might make sense.

    EDIT: Changed to include Flurry of Blows as a prerequisite if you have it instead of BAB +6. So...monks. For everyone else, there's Mastercard bonus feats.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2010-07-16 at 03:43 PM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    SLC
    Gender
    Male

    Post Re: [3.5] Unarmed Feat [PEACH]

    Wasn't really suggesting an improved feat, my brain was just kind of rambling a bit in an effort to figure out how to effectively utilize both attributes. I'm keeping my vote to strength for the modifier for the aforementioned reason.
    I Am A:
    Neutral Good Human Sorcerer (3rd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength- 15
    Dexterity- 16
    Constitution- 14
    Intelligence- 15
    Wisdom- 12
    Charisma- 15

    GENERATION 19: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Temotei's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Unarmed Feat [PEACH]

    I'll wait and see. I'm definitely considering changing it to just Strength, don't worry. I just need some additional input.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Unarmed Feat [PEACH]

    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei221 View Post
    I'll wait and see. I'm definitely considering changing it to just Strength, don't worry. I just need some additional input.
    Dude...this could make monks just that little bit more sexy huh? They're current attacks are useless. I like this, balanced, requires a lot of feats to get in to (a lot of auto-feats for monks) and improves the only attack they're even remotely good with.

    Awesome job.

    The dazed effect really is a nice touch too.

    Reminds me of all those comedy shows where the character gets beaten and then sees little birdies. Nice touch!

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Solaris's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Neither here nor there
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Unarmed Feat [PEACH]

    Quote Originally Posted by XxScarab View Post
    What I could see working out well with this is rather than the damage improving by base, set it so each consecutive attack deals a cumulative +1 damage

    In essence, a 20th level character with 5 attacks would deal a +1/+2/+3/+4/+5 damage off each attack in a full round action. To me, this is a better process with character's that aren't fighters. Makes it more available to characters of more than the melee classes with very little work. Also, the damage should reset each round in order to maintain game balance. As for the dazed status effect, set it so if they connect all attacks they make in a round (but if not, then the dazed should not apply or to a lesser version such as stunned or something else), they should have to make a static DC such as, STR + BAB + 1 for each successful attack landed in that action. Just my thought on it.
    Bolded 1: I'm thinking it could keep going up, just specify that it's only against the one target and resets if the character attacks someone else. Maybe a cap equal to the class level or some such.

    Bolded 2: I agree. I think Strength is the best one for this DC.

    Quote Originally Posted by Godskook View Post
    I recommend changing the wording from:

    "you may add a cumulative +1 bonus to damage and attack rolls per strike"

    to something like:

    "Your penalty for iterative attacks when using this feat is -4"
    I disagree, I think the "cumulative +1 attack, +1 damage bonus per strike" was better wording. Reducing penalty for iterative attacks opens up the possibility that a character gets more of them.
    My latest homebrew: Majokko base class and Spellcaster Dilettante feats for D&D 3.5 and Races as Classes for PTU.

    Currently Playing
    Raiatari Eikibe - Ghostfoot's RHOD Righteous Resistance

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Unarmed Feat [PEACH]

    I think keeping it on a +1 damage, +1 to hit works better too. Though, there is something off about this feat. I can't put my finger on it but something just doesn't fit quite right somewhere.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Temotei's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Unarmed Feat [PEACH]

    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris
    Maybe a cap equal to the class level or some such.
    It wouldn't make sense to have a class level cap, because no class specifically gets the feat. It would make sense to have BAB as the cap, though.

    Bolded 2: I agree. I think Strength is the best one for this DC.
    Alright...2 vs. 1. You guys win.

    I disagree, I think the "cumulative +1 attack, +1 damage bonus per strike" was better wording. Reducing penalty for iterative attacks opens up the possibility that a character gets more of them.
    Good catch.

    Quote Originally Posted by elliot20
    ...there is something off about this feat. I can't put my finger on it but something just doesn't fit quite right somewhere.
    If you think of anything, tell me. I'll be ready for changes, as always.

    Quote Originally Posted by -Baldur-
    Dude...this could make monks just that little bit more sexy huh? They're current attacks are useless. I like this, balanced, requires a lot of feats to get in to (a lot of auto-feats for monks) and improves the only attack they're even remotely good with.

    Awesome job.

    The dazed effect really is a nice touch too.

    Reminds me of all those comedy shows where the character gets beaten and then sees little birdies. Nice touch!
    Thank you very much. I appreciate both your comments on balance and your compliments greatly.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Solaris's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Neither here nor there
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Unarmed Feat [PEACH]

    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei221 View Post
    It wouldn't make sense to have a class level cap, because no class specifically gets the feat. It would make sense to have BAB as the cap, though.
    My bad. I'd meant character level - but BAB works better for it.
    My latest homebrew: Majokko base class and Spellcaster Dilettante feats for D&D 3.5 and Races as Classes for PTU.

    Currently Playing
    Raiatari Eikibe - Ghostfoot's RHOD Righteous Resistance

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Temotei's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Unarmed Feat [PEACH]

    Indeed. Thanks for the suggestion. It's up for possible use. I'll have to think about it. Sleep time now.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Baron Corm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Avatar by Kymme
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Unarmed Feat [PEACH]

    Eh, since this has Stunning Fist as a requirement, I don't see why the DC shouldn't be Wisdom-based. If you want to make it less for monks and more for fighters, I would take out the Stunning Fist prereq and make the DC based on Strength or Dexterity, whichever is higher. The comedy option being Strength, Dexterity, or Wisdom, whichever is highest.

    As for the bonus damage remaining the next round, I think that maybe it should stay only for as long as you don't miss an attack (and are concentrating on one creature). That fits with the whole concept. It's creating a very Dragonball Z image in my head, but that's ok. The feat is also going from the realm of a decent feat to a very good feat, but that's ok too.

    One thing you should just clarify is which part of the bonus damage is capped by your BAB. The total, the highest, or all of them? Can you get +20/+20/+20/+20 , +5/+10/+15/+20, or just +2/+4/+6/+8? I like the second one the best, personally. It requires 5 rounds of no missing to accomplish which balances the fact that you're adding a megaton of bonuses with a single feat.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Godskook's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008

    Default Re: [3.5] Unarmed Feat [PEACH]

    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei221 View Post
    Care to elaborate?
    Sure, things like bites, slams, tail slaps, etc, are all included in a full attack with your iteratives, albeit at their own penalties for being secondary or worse natural attacks. Does this feat give bonuses to these additional attacks? Or just the iteratives?
    Avatar by Assassin89
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    SamuraiGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Illinois
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Unarmed Feat [PEACH]

    I would make the assumption it only affects your unarmed strikes. your claws, teeth, tail, gore, slam, or even wing buffets do not count as unarmed...
    Benedictus, Venit in Nomine, in Nomine, Domini, Hossanna in Excelsis........

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Solaris's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Neither here nor there
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Unarmed Feat [PEACH]

    I second it not adding to natural weapons. You get natural attacks even along with unarmed attacks, according to some interpretations of the rules.
    My latest homebrew: Majokko base class and Spellcaster Dilettante feats for D&D 3.5 and Races as Classes for PTU.

    Currently Playing
    Raiatari Eikibe - Ghostfoot's RHOD Righteous Resistance

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Temotei's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Unarmed Feat [PEACH]

    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Corm
    One thing you should just clarify is which part of the bonus damage is capped by your BAB. The total, the highest, or all of them? Can you get +20/+20/+20/+20 , +5/+10/+15/+20, or just +2/+4/+6/+8? I like the second one the best, personally. It requires 5 rounds of no missing to accomplish which balances the fact that you're adding a megaton of bonuses with a single feat.
    The feat is now considerably more wordy, but the bonus damage is clarified.

    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Corm
    Eh, since this has Stunning Fist as a requirement, I don't see why the DC shouldn't be Wisdom-based. If you want to make it less for monks and more for fighters, I would take out the Stunning Fist prereq and make the DC based on Strength or Dexterity, whichever is higher. The comedy option being Strength, Dexterity, or Wisdom, whichever is highest.
    Monks are now allowed to use their Wisdom modifier, while everyone else uses Strength. Note: The text says "may use," so if a monk has more Strength than Wisdom, they can still do that.

    The feat only counts towards unarmed strikes. No natural weapons, except for a monk's unarmed strikes.

    EDIT: How's the new wording? For some reason, it seems off. Like I could shorten it, or something.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2009-11-13 at 05:02 PM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    SLC
    Gender
    Male

    Lightbulb Re: [3.5] Unarmed Feat [PEACH]

    Okay, so here is the original feat description,
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Temotei221 View Post
    One-Two Punch [General]
    You can quickly string together unarmed attacks, seemingly blending them into one.
    Prerequisites: Str 13, Dex 15, Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist, Weapon Focus (unarmed), Base attack bonus +6 (or Flurry of Blows special ability)
    Benefits: When you make a full-attack action while unarmed, you add a cumulative +1 bonus to attack rolls per strike. For example, a 13th level fighter could make 3 attacks, at +13/+8/+3. With this feat, this would change to +14/+10/+6. Damage increases at a rate of +1/+2/+3/+4 for attacks and keeps stacking up to your base attack bonus, as long as you focus the attacks on one opponent, and you don't miss with any attacks. For example, a 20th level fighter who hits the opponent with all four attacks for three rounds would have damage bonuses equal to +3/+6/+9/+12. The quickness of these strikes causes the enemy to be dazed if all attacks hit, unless they make a successful Fortitude saving throw of DC 10 + 1/2 BAB + Str modifier (if you are a monk, you may use Wis instead). Mindless creatures are immune to the daze effect.
    Special: A fighter may select One-Two Punch as one of their fighter bonus feats.
    This feat only applies to unarmed attacks--no natural weapons (except the monk's unarmed attacks, which are sometimes counted as such).


    This is what I would do as a rewrite:
    Spoiler
    Show
    One-Two Punch [General]
    You can quickly string together unarmed attacks, seemingly blending them into one.
    Prerequisites: Str 13, Dex 15, Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist, Weapon Focus (unarmed)
    Benefits: When making a full-round attack action while unarmed, you add a cumulative +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls per strike for each successful attack beyond the first. The quickness and power of these strikes causes the enemy to be dazed unless they make a successful Fortitude saving throw of DC 5 + 1/2 BAB + Str modifier + 1 for each successful attack in that action. Monks may substitute their wisdom modifier in place of their strength bonus if higher. Mindless creatures, such as unitelligengt undead and constructs, are immune to the daze effect.
    Special: A fighter may select One-Two Punch as one of their fighter bonus feats.
    This feat only applies to unarmed attacks--no natural weapons (except the monk's unarmed attacks, which are sometimes counted as such).


    I know its not directly how you changed it, but I'm sticking with this working a little better. So, quick analysis of the save DC... a fighter that reaches 20th level with a +5 Str mod that connects with five attacks in one round when using one-two punch would end up having a save DC of 25. While its not a bad DC, most enemies you face at that point would easily make the DC. If you bumped it to 10 base would make the DC 30. That would be my suggestion. Also, changing it from "a 13th level fighter could make 3 attacks, at +13/+8/+3. With this feat, this would change to +14/+10/+6" to for each successful attack beyond the first makes more sense to me. I see this as more a momentum sort of thing as opposed to a constant bonus.

    Also, I removed the flurry of blows class ability as an alternative to a base attack bonus because multi class monk/fighter (with fighter being the first class so the monk can progress as normal) would easily have access to this feat by 3rd level.

    This is the build for it:
    • 1st Lvl Fighter: Improved Unarmed Strike, Weap Focus (Unarmed)
    • 2nd Lvl Monk: Stunning Fist (Bonus)
    • 3rd Lvl Character: One-Two Punch


    Only reason I see this being a problem would allow a monk to gain this feat a full three levels before the fighter. Now, if that is the intent then it really wouldn't be all to terrible. At that point you could remove the base attack bonus requirement entirely because the Stunning Fist feat for non-monks is a +8 Base Attack Bonus.
    Last edited by XxScarab; 2009-11-13 at 07:44 PM.
    I Am A:
    Neutral Good Human Sorcerer (3rd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength- 15
    Dexterity- 16
    Constitution- 14
    Intelligence- 15
    Wisdom- 12
    Charisma- 15

    GENERATION 19: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Temotei's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Unarmed Feat [PEACH]

    Quote Originally Posted by XxScarab
    This is the build for it:

    * 1st Lvl Fighter: Improved Unarmed Strike, Weap Focus (Unarmed)
    * 2nd Lvl Monk: Stunning Fist (Bonus)
    * 3rd Lvl Character: One-Two Punch


    Only reason I see this being a problem would allow a monk to gain this feat a full three levels before the fighter. Now, if that is the intent then it really wouldn't be all to terrible. At that point you could remove the base attack bonus requirement entirely because the Stunning Fist feat for non-monks is a +8 Base Attack Bonus.
    The monk is indeed able to take it earlier, and that was my intent. Sort of like Stunning Fist. The reason I have +6 BAB as a requirement is because of the multiclassing thing. If a fighter or barbarian wanted to remain pure, though, the BAB +6 is there for them. As written now, a human monk gets:

    * Improved Unarmed Strike (monk bonus)
    * Stunning Fist (monk bonus)
    * Flurry of Blows (monk class feature)
    * Weapon Focus (human bonus)
    * One-Two Punch (1st level)


    A fighter has to wait until level 6, unless they multiclass into monk.

    * Weapon Focus (fighter bonus)
    * Improved Unarmed Strike (monk bonus)
    * Stunning Fist (monk bonus)
    * Flurry of Blows (monk class feature)
    * One-Two Punch (3rd level)


    The other chosen feats don't matter in this case. The pure monk has a two-level lead on the fighter for the feat, unless the fighter is also pure. Totally intentional.

    EDIT: The 13th level fighter was just an example to show what the bonuses would do in a situation.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2009-11-13 at 07:44 PM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    SolithKnightGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    SLC
    Gender
    Male

    Question Re: [3.5] Unarmed Feat [PEACH]

    Okay, that makes sense. Its a decent enough feat to build for at 1st level. Still would pull out the flurry of blows and the base attack bonus requirement and just work with the Stunning Fist, monk's gain it for free at 1st level and most melee classes wouldn't be able to gain Stunning Fist until 8th level. Thoughts on the rest of the rewrite?
    Last edited by XxScarab; 2009-11-13 at 07:45 PM.
    I Am A:
    Neutral Good Human Sorcerer (3rd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength- 15
    Dexterity- 16
    Constitution- 14
    Intelligence- 15
    Wisdom- 12
    Charisma- 15

    GENERATION 19: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •