New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default How to role play a non violent character without angering the party

I am going to start off with a couple of old gaming stories to illustrate my problem. If you don't want to read all of them feel free to skip to the end.

Normally I play a badass loner with an iron will and who doesn't take crap from anybody. This gets on the nerves of the other players as they see me as a bitch and a psychopath who will attack anyone without provocation. An example:

We are hired to retrieve a jewel for a man who says it is a family heirloom. Along the way we find that it is not actually an heirloom, but rather a powerful magic item of unknown use. We clear the dungeon, grab the gem, and return it to the man. While in the process questioning him about his true motives a man whom we have never met before bursts into the room with several armed guards and orders them to arrest our employer.
    I draw my sword and point it at the stranger, moving between him and our employer and telling him not to go near him until we get some answers. He says that our employer is a criminal and he has come to arrest him. I am able to get out of him that he does not work for the local king or the town guard but answers to a "higher authority" about which he will say nothing. He then moves over to the table and takes the magical gem without a word of explanation and completely ignoring the fact that I had my sword pointed at him. To stop him I attack him with the flat of my sword, making it very clear that I am doing non lethal damage. At this point both the GM and the other player's explode at me for "attacking random NPCs and disrupting the plot". I of course felt I was fully justified, having no idea of the nature or motives of this character and having already warned him.

So, after several experiences like this I decided to play a much more passive and innocent character to break away from such stereotypes. I made a rogue who was chaotic good in alignment and was very young and inexperienced. She had been taken as a slave as a young child and had recently escaped and was trying to get home. I tried playing her as a real person instead of a hardened badass warrior. I tried to think my way out of combat, and when we were attacked I used stealth and performed ambushes rather than fighting head to head. The party considered me a worthless coward because of this, and the party fighter was constantly berating and threatening me, telling me I was a useless coward and was lucky he was permitting me to travel with them.
    This had been going on for a few weeks when we come to a river. My character is deathly afraid of water, having been attacked by a small sea serpent when she was a child (I did not make that up on the spot, it had been in my back story from the beginning). The rest of the group wanted to swim, I refused and insisted we look for a place to cross. The party fighter refuses, picks me up, carries me to the top of a large rock, and tosses me into the middle of the river, where I am immediately attacked and almost killed by a pack of giant eels.
    The fighter of course does not apologize or even comment on his behavior. I can't take this anymore, and have no chance of defending myself against the fighter who had more than double my strength and much better fighting skills. That night I decide to sneak attack him in his sleep while I am on watch, killing him instantly. In response the DM has an epic level wizard / cleric whom no one had ever heard of before instantly teleport into camp, cast true resurrection on the fighter and power word kill on me, drop a not so subtle adventure hook on the survivors and tell away. I am not allowed to roll a new character, and the group (who are all RL friends) refuse to invite me to a game for several years.

Another time I tried making a pure healer who was a dedicated pacifist. I buffed the party and healed them when they were hurt, everyone was fine. Then there came a round when no one was hurt or needed buffs, and so I passed on my action. I was asked why I didn't just attack, and I said I don't carry a weapon. I was immediately kicked out of the party and told to roll up a character that wasn't so useless.
    One time in a different group I tried to make a non violent leadership / crowd control based bard. All went well until we were attacked by several swarms who are immune to all mind effects. I sat in the corner singing, and was told I need to make myself useful and attack while I sing. I told them that I do not carry a weapon as I believe physical violence beneath me. One player then told me he would find a way to force me to be useful, and moved himself into a position where all the monsters he had been fighting could no longer reach him or any other member of the party except me. As a response I charmed said character and told him to stand between me and the swarms, at which point the GM kicked me from the group for instigating player on player violence.
    In a similar story I had a friend make an enchanter who didn't know any attack spells. He suicided his character on the second session because he couldn't stand all the crap he got for having no direct damage spells.

The problem is even worse when I try and play a paladin. I usually get into a situation where one of the players acts like Belkar and I am unable to talk him out of it, so I have to physically restrain him, at which point I am kicked from the party for being one of "those paladins". At the same end, I have fallen as a paladin for being "too merciful" by sparing the lives of some bandits who attacked us in the forest rather than executing them or leaving them to die of their wounds.

-------------

So gaming stories aside, it boils down to this. It seems that GM's and players alike expect you to play a bipolar character. Ordinarily you are kind and extremely passive, doing whatever the party members or NPCs tell you and never object to what they want to do. But, when combat starts, you need to become a blood crazed and completely remorseless (but cool headed and totally tactically aware) killing machine who will not stop until every enemy is dead.
    How the hell am I supposed to make a character personality that fits with this model short of playing a brain washed slave / warrior like in Serenity or Unleashed?
    Is this a problem in other groups, or do I just play with weird people? Or is the problem me?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: How to role play a non violent character without angering the party

Think the army. Normally nice normal people, but if you're fighting against them, they are exactly going to sit down and have a cup of tea with you. You just have to know when one is appropriate and when the other is.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    *stuff about how the people being played with, player and DM alike, are some of the worst sort of people to play with*
    Yeah, not you. Also, these are RL friends? They be asses.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Having to play someone who is comfortable with murder on a regular basis is one of those things that you just have to put up with to play in most dungeon crawling games. IMO the best thing to do is not think about it so much. Have roleplaying time and tactical combat time.

If you really want to play characters who act like people, try another system. While D&D is perfectly capable of serving up a realistic roleplaying experience, D&D ends up being played as tactical combat more often than not. I find it's easier to switch to another system than to convince a group to play D&D differently.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I suggest leaving your current group and looking for one that doesn't consist of douchebags. It's obvious they'll go out of their way to conjure up some issues with your character, no matter what the concept or how well roleplayed.

Quote Originally Posted by valadil View Post
    Having to play someone who is comfortable with murder on a regular basis is one of those things that you just have to put up with to play in most dungeon crawling games. IMO the best thing to do is not think about it so much. Have roleplaying time and tactical combat time.

If you really want to play characters who act like people, try another system. While D&D is perfectly capable of serving up a realistic roleplaying experience, D&D ends up being played as tactical combat more often than not. I find it's easier to switch to another system than to convince a group to play D&D differently.
    Murder? I disagree. Most of what good- and nicer neutral-aligned characters do is 100% morally fine. Intercepting an orc raiding party before it reaches a peaceful village is not murder, it's defending the weak.
    Last edited by Tengu_temp; 2009-11-12 at 08:24 PM.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Just a quick note to start things off, D&D is a tactical combat game first and foremost, and rule one of combat is that people die. If your character has a problem with killing people, they wouldn't have become an adventurer, someone who's job description consists primary of killing things and taking their treasure.

That said, there is nothing wrong with trying to spare some of your opponents, as long as you are not risking the party by doing so. Pulling your blows in a fight, or refusing to attack is grounds for being kicked out of a the group. By not fighting properly you are a liability to the group. But if someone happens to survive an encounter, there is nothing wrong with not finishing them off.

In any case, reading over your stories, I've noticed two big problems. First is that your DM lets this crap happen. Among their duties, a DM is suppose to make sure that the party doesn't kill eachother(unless the campaign is suppose to be like that). The other problem is with your players. While you don't need to restrict peoples creativity, an iron fast rule of character creation should be "The characters must be able to work together as a group".
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    I suggest leaving your current group and looking for one that doesn't consist of douchebags.
    This. Sweet Jesus on a platter, THIS. Your group is made of 100% douchebagium, an element only occuring in douchebags.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Some people don't realise that the roleplaying doesn't neccesarily stop when you roll for initiative.

A good way of getting around this is to have your character not believe in violence for violence's sake, but are willing to defend themselves.

And FTR, the way to settle these disputes is NOT PvP!
    Last edited by Katana_Geldar; 2009-11-12 at 08:28 PM.

Running Tomb of Horrors 4E in all that horrific tombyness.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asbestos View Post
    Yeah, not you. Also, these are RL friends? They be asses.
    This! Have a word with the DM, explaining your concerns. If he refuses to listen, vote with your feet.

Nothing makes the game more un-fun than a DM (or fellow players) who want you to play their way, or no way at all. And if the DM backs this up with ridiculous deus-ex-machina like the second example you gave, you might as well not even be at the table.

Normally I try to be the voice of reason about disputes like this, but these guys sound like grade-A jerks.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Katana_Geldar View Post
    Some people don't realise that the roleplaying doesn't neccesarily stop when you roll for initiative.

A good way of getting around this is to have your character not believe in violence for violence's sake, but are willing to defend themselves.

And FTR, the way to settle these disputes is NOT PvP!
    I agree, and if I had been the Dm I would have probably rewarded such interesting characters. You have to be useful in a game of DnD. I do not see how those characters were being useless. Healing players and making yourself a heal tank is perfectly acceptable as long as your doing something. Being a sneaky rogue who didn't fight toe to toe, also useful just not as open about it.

Useless would be say.. sitting there and laughing as your party is killed.
    They say hope begins in the dark, but most just flail around in the blackness...searching for their destiny. The darkness... for me... is where I shine. - Riddick

Exile

Deny a monochrome future!!! -Radio Gosha-

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Not to sound like a broken record, but your problem seems to be that your group is a bunch of jerks. Their actions seem nowhere near justified given the circumstances.

12. - Top - End - #12

SwashbucklerGuy

Talk to the DM out of game, when you're just hanging out or something, away from everyone else and talk to him, especially before playing a paladin. Ask him what the problem is, because none of your examples sound at all bad except the Coup de grace and Charming, but I definitely believe you were not the one to be blamed for that.

As for a character to build, a tripper. Set the enemy up to be put down by someone else. Never be afraid to kick them in the dangly bits either. Attack the enemy, just don't do it until they attack you, good rule of thumb.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Normally I'm all for role play over roll play and searching for the right groups, but I also like opposing viewpoints. Just a quirk.

So I see where you're coming from. If you want to play a pacifist, this is fine, and your group shouldn't be angry. Some people might add 'so long as you contribute something else during fights' but that's crap.

But if you want to play a pacifist (justified) just because they looked down on your hardened badasses... well, that's trickier. See, if you play it wrong, they might see it as you being petulent, 'don't like my cool charactors, fine, I won't help you, ha' kinda thing. No matter how much actual help you give.

So it could be miscommunication. The fact that you told that first story is revealing. Go back and talk to them about it. Do not, no matter how true it may be or how many people on these boards repeat it, treat them like 'douchebags,' 'asses,' what have you. They might be thinking just the same thing. So go in honestly but, you know, understanding. That'd be your best option.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

The part about disrupting the plot made me laugh, there are players that LIKE being railroaded?

My Blog The Level 1 GM

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

One of our group had an enchanter once. I think he was berated for having no direct damage spells up until a certain level, whereby he began to slowly take over the world, charming one king at a time.

Also, one of my characters doesn't carry a melee weapon, only a holy symbol.
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

I am going to start off with a couple of old gaming stories to illustrate my problem. If you don't want to read all of them feel free to skip to the end.

Normally I play a badass loner with an iron will and who doesn't take crap from anybody. This gets on the nerves of the other players as they see me as a bitch and a psychopath who will attack anyone without provocation. An example:

We are hired to retrieve a jewel for a man who says it is a family heirloom. Along the way we find that it is not actually an heirloom, but rather a powerful magic item of unknown use. We clear the dungeon, grab the gem, and return it to the man. While in the process questioning him about his true motives a man whom we have never met before bursts into the room with several armed guards and orders them to arrest our employer.
    I draw my sword and point it at the stranger, moving between him and our employer and telling him not to go near him until we get some answers. He says that our employer is a criminal and he has come to arrest him. I am able to get out of him that he does not work for the local king or the town guard but answers to a "higher authority" about which he will say nothing. He then moves over to the table and takes the magical gem without a word of explanation and completely ignoring the fact that I had my sword pointed at him. To stop him I attack him with the flat of my sword, making it very clear that I am doing non lethal damage. At this point both the GM and the other player's explode at me for "attacking random NPCs and disrupting the plot". I of course felt I was fully justified, having no idea of the nature or motives of this character and having already warned him.
    Hmm... lets see, a random guy working for a "higher power" who isn't the local rulers is generally a nut job, or some kind of criminal. Possibly an enemy of the state. So umm, yeah doing non-lethal damage was a pretty bi... wait, you were yelled at for attacking him? What?

So, after several experiences like this I decided to play a much more passive and innocent character to break away from such stereotypes. I made a rogue who was chaotic good in alignment and was very young and inexperienced. She had been taken as a slave as a young child and had recently escaped and was trying to get home. I tried playing her as a real person instead of a hardened badass warrior. I tried to think my way out of combat, and when we were attacked I used stealth and performed ambushes rather than fighting head to head. The party considered me a worthless coward because of this, and the party fighter was constantly berating and threatening me, telling me I was a useless coward and was lucky he was permitting me to travel with them.
    If you wanted to be stealthy you should have played a rogue. Wait... what the hell party.
    This had been going on for a few weeks when we come to a river. My character is deathly afraid of water, having been attacked by a small sea serpent when she was a child (I did not make that up on the spot, it had been in my back story from the beginning). The rest of the group wanted to swim, I refused and insisted we look for a place to cross. The party fighter refuses, picks me up, carries me to the top of a large rock, and tosses me into the middle of the river, where I am immediately attacked and almost killed by a pack of giant eels.
    The fighter of course does not apologize or even comment on his behavior. I can't take this anymore, and have no chance of defending myself against the fighter who had more than double my strength and much better fighting skills. That night I decide to sneak attack him in his sleep while I am on watch, killing him instantly.
    Killing a party member who attacked you. And you forgot to bind his soul?

In response the DM has an epic level wizard / cleric whom no one had ever heard of before instantly teleport into camp, cast true resurrection on the fighter and power word kill on me, drop a not so subtle adventure hook on the survivors and tell away. I am not allowed to roll a new character, and the group (who are all RL friends) refuse to invite me to a game for several years.
    I think this group is probaly a bunch of jerks or just doesn't like you for whatever reason.

Another time I tried making a pure healer who was a dedicated pacifist. I buffed the party and healed them when they were hurt, everyone was fine. Then there came a round when no one was hurt or needed buffs, and so I passed on my action. I was asked why I didn't just attack, and I said I don't carry a weapon. I was immediately kicked out of the party and told to roll up a character that wasn't so useless.
    WTF? Again if your a buffer/healer total up how much your "buffs" have done. It can go quite high. Total up healing done. You probably pull your wieght and save their lives.

One time in a different group I tried to make a non violent leadership / crowd control based bard. All went well until we were attacked by several swarms who are immune to all mind effects. I sat in the corner singing, and was told I need to make myself useful and attack while I sing. I told them that I do not carry a weapon as I believe physical violence beneath me. One player then told me he would find a way to force me to be useful, and moved himself into a position where all the monsters he had been fighting could no longer reach him or any other member of the party except me. As a response I charmed said character and told him to stand between me and the swarms, at which point the GM kicked me from the group for instigating player on player violence.
    Yeah charming people is generally a bad move. Next time your playing a bard get one of those guides for abusing the hell out of dragonfire inspiration. If they complain about you being useless, talley up all the extra damage and the damage they did. Also make note of attacks that would have missed, if not for the moral bonus from normal inspire courage. (You can get both song effects if your clever.) They will never call you useless again. Unless they just don't like you.

In a similar story I had a friend make an enchanter who didn't know any attack spells. He suicided his character on the second session because he couldn't stand all the crap he got for having no direct damage spells.
    Have these people read the logic ninja guide? I mean really? Are they complaining about him overshadowing everyone?

The problem is even worse when I try and play a paladin. I usually get into a situation where one of the players acts like Belkar and I am unable to talk him out of it, so I have to physically restrain him, at which point I am kicked from the party for being one of "those paladins". At the same end, I have fallen as a paladin for being "too merciful" by sparing the lives of some bandits who attacked us in the forest rather than executing them or leaving them to die of their wounds.
    Try not to play a paladin in groups with Belkar's. And.. get a new DM, he should tell you ahead of time if he hates paladins. (Hint: NOT doing something can NOT be an act let alone an evil one.)

So gaming stories aside, it boils down to this. It seems that GM's and players alike expect you to play a bipolar character. Ordinarily you are kind and extremely passive, doing whatever the party members or NPCs tell you and never object to what they want to do. But, when combat starts, you need to become a blood crazed and completely remorseless (but cool headed and totally tactically aware) killing machine who will not stop until every enemy is dead.
    How the hell am I supposed to make a character personality that fits with this model short of playing a brain washed slave / warrior like in Serenity or Unleashed?
    Is this a problem in other groups, or do I just play with weird people? Or is the problem me?
    Part of this is horrible groups. Part of this is your supposed to be a well trained fighter, so you are supposed to go into combat usally. But the pacifist stuff is usally frowned on. (Casters can pull it off. No one annoys the bard who doubles their accuracy and damage. Or the wizard with the mind controlled legions.) Of course the out of combat stuff like not wanting to go over water, granting mercy, attacking the nut-job... thats crappy groups.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

the way I see it, you're playing with the wrong people

the best kind of group for you would be with a DM that says "play what you want to play"

I mean, my group is anything but ideal...we have 4 rogues and 0 healers for christ's sake

I would suggest roleplaying a Monk, Monks can be BAMF frontline "support" fighters and you choose if you're attacks are lethal or not, so though self-defense, you can protect yourself and subdue bandits, rather than just out right kill them

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Don't know how much time you spent explaining how you thought of your characters/how much they talked to each other in game. But obviously, the other people (assuming friends) didn't really understand what kind of people you're playing, which you all should have discussed at the start. Resolve any issues before they become issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    An entertaining defeat is better than a boring victory...
    Spoiler: Current characters
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19

Why do you even want to play with these jerks? I would say talk to your DM but the DM seems pretty set against you. Just leave the party find a group that suits you better.

P.S. Like your characters probably steps ahead of your current group.

20. - Top - End - #20

SolithKnightGuy

Maybe you should roll up a Pun-Pun to prove to them that your pacifist characters and roleplaying were perfectly fine.

Give yourself

Immunity (Ex): The person who's playing Pun-Pun cannot be kicked from the game or attacked/killed. The game cannot be ended by the DM without sufficient reason as determined by the player who's playing Pun-Pun. Doing either will result in being sued X Millions dollars. Everyone has already signed this contract.

and

Pact (Ex): If the group decides to allow the person playing Pun-Pun to roll up a new character without unfair consequences, Pun-Pun loses immunity. Any unfair consequence, as determined by the person who was playing Pun-Pun, causes Pun-Pun to regain immunity.

and then revive everyone killed/removed. Sure you might not ever be invited back, but, hey, there's no reason you would to go back anyways.

lol
    Last edited by lvl 1 sharnian; 2009-11-12 at 09:01 PM.
    The accuracy of this post is questionable

The Endless Dungeon

The Neverending Dungeon
    Spoiler
    Show

Renewal A fantasy/post-apocalyptic/new world setting WIP

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

In my old group, a "non-violent" character translates into someone who we don't have to give any treasure. What's he going to, scold us?

I'm sorry, OP, but unlike these other fine folks, you don't get any sympathy from me. You certainly come off as sympathetic, but some things about your story just rub me the wrong way. The GM and your fellow party members got mad at you for attacking an NPC? Usually it's one side or the other, but not both.

And after getting chewed out for playing violent psycopaths, you went all the way to the other end of the spectrum and played a pacificist twit in a game centred around combat. That strikes me as though you were trying to build a character that was effectively a big "Go to hell!" to the other players who told you not to act like a raging psycho.

And then you get offended by the fighter tossing you in the river, so you break character and kill him in his sleep? And the DM drops a giant rock on you and no one else in the group objects? In my experience, that kind of curb-stomping only happens to someone who deserves it.

Concerning the whole bard incident, while that other player comes off as a bit of a d***, so do you, kinda. I mean, turnaround is fair play, but the whole "weapons are beneath me" is a pretty stupid position to take when your friends are getting stung to death by bees, or whatever.

Is this all the same group, or are you pulling from different gaming groups? 'Cuz if it's the latter, maybe you need to consider why all these different D&D players are antagonizing you. Maybe they're not the problem?

Yeah, your whole post just sends up alarm bells for me. Your opening post is slanted to make you out to be the victim, but I wonder if you're not a problem player who finally wore his group's patience a bit too thin.

But even if I'm completely wrong and you indeed play with a bunch of jerks, you still went about this entirely the wrong way, OP. You went from being a total jerkass to a waste of space. Neither of these extremes play well with others, particularly a group who doesn't seem to like you very much (if that hadn't been perfectly clear). If you insist on playing D&D, couldn't you find some kind of middle ground?
    Last edited by FoE; 2009-11-12 at 09:17 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

From those stories, it seems the answer is both.

For the first story (the gem), it sounds like the DM forgot that gratuitous plot immunity almost always causes trouble, and you walked into it.

In the second (the rogue), it sounds like you played below useful, which led the other players to be excessively rude. That eventually led the player of the fighter to be a total jerk, to which you responded with PvP murder, and to which the DM responded with deus ex machina expulsion.

In the third (the cleric), it sounds like you forgot that doing nothing is rarely useful, and should have made some effort to at least make it appear you were prepared to contribute. Saying you were delaying in case someone got hurt and needed healing is pretty much the obvious action there. The response of the others was excessive in turn.

In the fourth (the bard), again you had a character underplaying, an excessive, though not completely outrageous response (if you refuse to fight, he refuses to play meatshield), and you defaulting yet again to PvP.

In the fifth (the enchanter), it sounds like the rest of the group was over-reacting, but it is difficult to say.

In the sixth (general paladin situations), it sounds like a continuing series of over-reactions all around, combined with groups that are generally inclined to not be open to paladins to begin with.

As for what to do, the general answer is: remember to always be useful.
    The secondary answer is: consider the people you are playing with.

To start with the second, no matter what, if all they want are combat monster PCs, then that is what they want, and anything else will seem useless to them, even when they are hitting solely because of buffs you provide, not being hit solely because of battlefield control you provide, and not dying pathetically solely because of healing you provide.

The first is more difficult, but it includes a wide variety of things, among them having sufficient backup weapons when needed, having alternative weapons, such as tanglefoot bags and the like just in case, and being prepared to make some sort of direct effort, even if it is just providing a flanking bonus for some combat brute to make him feel good about your presence.

And of course there is what you should not do, which includes not turning to PvP even when other players feel like being excessively stupid.

23. - Top - End - #23

To be fair to me groups, these stories are told from my perspective, I am sure they wouldn't sound so one sided if they were the ones posting.
    Most of these player's are not deep role-players. If I am not doing the most optimal thing in a combat round then I am wasting their time and not earning my share of XP / Treasure. Likewise in the first example, OOC they assumed that the guy was going to be the hook for the next adventure, and thus my attacking him just seemed to them to be derailing the plot train for the hell of it.

Finding a new group isn't really an option, as I said these are mostly RL friends and I am very shy when it comes to finding new friends.

Most, but not all of these problems occurred in D&D, and not all were in third edition. When I tried joining the fourth edition campaign of the same group I was told up front that the rules for fourth edition did not allow you to role-play and it was a purely tactical combat game. I played a few sessions, bored out of my mind, and ended up walking away from the game with a lot of hatred for fourth edition that is probably not fully justified.

24. - Top - End - #24

BlueKnightGuy

When I tried joining the fourth edition campaign of the same group I was told up front that the rules for fourth edition did not allow you to role-play and it was a purely tactical combat game. I played a few sessions, bored out of my mind, and ended up walking away from the game with a lot of hatred for fourth edition that is probably not fully justified.
    *Head-desk*

Um... move? Is that an option?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

I'd be furious over having your rogue kill my fighter in his sleep, or your bard charm my character and throw him into danger. I see that as passive-aggressive, not "non-violent". It's non-violent in comparison to the group's outright aggression, sure. But a coup-de-grace is violent, and so is inflicting damage on somebody via charm.

Maybe if you played with a group that didn't suck like a black hole, you wouldn't be put into situations like these and feel the need to lash out. Those other players had no respect for you or what you want out of the game. Getting into a group who want to play realistic roles would do you a world of good.

26. - Top - End - #26

SwashbucklerGuy

You can always roleplay. No matter if you have a system devoted to combat, roleplaying (surprise surprise), puzzles, or no system what so ever, you can always roleplay. They just wanted to kill things (a form of roleplaying).

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Most, but not all of these problems occurred in D&D, and not all were in third edition. When I tried joining the fourth edition campaign of the same group I was told up front that the rules for fourth edition did not allow you to role-play and it was a purely tactical combat game. I played a few sessions, bored out of my mind, and ended up walking away from the game with a lot of hatred for fourth edition that is probably not fully justified.
    Um..what about skills?

My Blog The Level 1 GM

28. - Top - End - #28

Skills were just a dice roll. For example: The guard will not let you into the keep carrying weapons. Roll diplomacy to see if you can convince him otherwise. Fail and he attacks. Succeed and skip to the fight inside of the keep.

29. - Top - End - #29

Skills were just a dice roll. For example: The guard will not let you into the keep carrying weapons. Roll diplomacy to see if you can convince him otherwise. Fail and he attacks. Succeed and skip to the fight inside of the keep.
    If they are being that obvious about disliking role-playing then you really only have two options.

A: Stop Role-Playing and just start killing stuff. By your last post you don't seem to like this idea.

B: Stop playing DnD with them. You can still be RL friends and go play video games or whatever else you like but playing DnD with them just seems like a bad idea.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGirl

Yeah, repeating what everyone else has mostly said... you're a roleplayer trapped in a group of hack-n-slashers who resent the hell out of you doing something that isn't directly related to make the thing die and move onto the next combat. Your responses in some places probably weren't the best-- stabbing the fighter, charming another guy, etc-- but I've been in situations where I've been so angry at a player that I've done stupid things in-character (or threatened to) to get revenge. Not good, but understandable. Their reaction of throwing you out of the group and being general jackasses is WAY overreacting, even with you killing another party member.

Seems like the GM and the players are all expecting one thing out of this game (tactical combat simulator) and you're looking for something else (narrative story roleplay). Those two things aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, but if one side dominates and has no interest at all in the other... there's really not much that can be done. I'd suggest trying out some PbP games here, see if you can try to do some roleplaying, and... I dunno, hang around your local gaming stores and see if you can find a new group? I've only ever gotten into D&D groups via my friends, so I have no idea how to go about finding a brand-new group.
    "Experience is a good thing. You should hit it." - Lathandar to his Paladin, in response to her prayers for advice on what to do about a Holy Liberator

"Strahd turns into mist." - DM
    "And I turn into a hepa filter." - Lumieras

Quote of the Week:
    "If you go down south, you'll hear of Arthur Bartholomew Bartholomew, a man who changed a town." - Foster
    "Into dust?" - Owen

Characters: Kalinda Gray, Lawful Good Thief