New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default maxing out mental scores via awaken

Cant you just polymorph into a tree, and then have maximized + (that thing that multiplies variables by 1.5x) awaken cast on you to give you 18 + 3d6/2 in every mental stat?
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: maxing out mental scores via awaken

No, because polymorph specifies that you can turn into creatures. Standard trees are not considered creatures by definition. Hate to burst your bubble.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Polymorph turns you into the creature. A tree is not a creature, it's a tree.

But I suppose yeah, you could cast Contingency Awaken on yourself, under the condition "turned into a tree", and Wish to be turned into a non-sentient tree. Could do.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Maybe you can; this would not be the most broken loophole in the rules too.
    Then again, maybe there is some other loophole that will forbid this.
    Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books.
    E. G. Gygax

Lawful member of the Hinjo fanclub
    Treegrappler of the Durkon fanclub

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

mmm... awaken a tree and take over its "body" with a spell?

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

polymorph any object, maybe.
    "Now if you don't mind, I am somewhat preoccupied telling the laws of physics to shut up and sit down."

You know you're an epic wizard when you use a stilled silent extended quickened Gust of Wind spell to blow out the candles of your candle covered birthday cake.

Adventurers steal everything thats not nailed down. And what is. And the nails. After all, a bag full of nails can fetch a pretty penny. No doubt they'll weaponize it, too.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    polymorph any object, maybe.
    cast it twice :)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by taltamir View Post
    mmm... awaken a tree and take over its "body" with a spell?
    Good idea, but (don't quote me, I may be wrong) I believe Empower Spell and Maximize spell specifically state in their descriptions that they affect only things such as variable damages and ranges. I don't think you can cast an Empowered, Maximized Awaken.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Maximize Spell [Metamagic]
    Benefit
    All variable, numeric effects of a spell modified by this feat are maximized. Saving throws and opposed rolls are not affected, nor are spells without random variables. A maximized spell uses up a spell slot three levels higher than the spell’s actual level.

An empowered, maximized spell gains the separate benefits of each feat: the maximum result plus one-half the normally rolled result.
    It explicitly says "variable numeric effects of a spell". 3d6 to each mental stat is a variable numeric effect.
    Last edited by taltamir; 2009-11-13 at 08:03 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

From the SRD entry on maximize spell:
    All variable, numeric effects of a spell modified by this feat are maximized.
    Not just damage. It should work. Of course, you'd need metamagic reducers or some way of using the metamagic without increasing the spell level too much to go into contingency.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

You could always just polymorph into an animal and repeatedly be Awakened to get infinite Charisma. You also end up with a bunch of Magical Beast hit dice, but you can remove them later if you so desire.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kestrel404 View Post
    Not just damage. It should work. Of course, you'd need metamagic reducers or some way of using the metamagic without increasing the spell level too much to go into contingency.
    just use a rod of metamagic

Quote Originally Posted by ranagrande View Post
    You could always just polymorph into an animal and repeatedly be Awakened to get infinite Charisma. You also end up with a bunch of Magical Beast hit dice, but you can remove them later if you so desire.
    how would you remove them?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by taltamir View Post
    how would you remove them?
    The easiest (and cheapest) way is to repeatedly have Energy Drain or something similar cast on you, and then intentionally fail your saving throws to make the negative levels permanent.