Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2009

    Default The Dancing Paladin of Dance

    This is apropos of nothing, but I have nobody to tell my gaming stories to. My other friends are not gamers of any sort, my girlfriend puts up with them good naturedly but there’s a limit to how much I can inflict on her, and my gaming friends were, you know, there for them.

    So, we had just beat up some cultists. A lot of cultists. Epic levels of cultist defeating occurred. The near-death of our dragon shaman, for example (stabilized at -9 while nobody in the room could get to her). My paladin goes up a level and gets access to his second smite evil per day AND charging smite (cause screw horsies). We are all happy, etc. etc.

    Party splits up to handle some errands. The cleric and I are by the docks, the rest of the party off doing something else. We suddenly discover that the cleric’s shield…his favorite shield…it’s his binky, really…could be EEEEVIL. So he throws it down. He and I begin inspecting it. I hit it with some lay on hands, do my detect evil thing, etc. etc. The rest of the party joins up. We hit it with negative energy from the cleric. Things are going wacky. We forgot something important.

    People in this town are suspicious of magic.

    Any. Kind. Of Magic.

    Our wacky handwaving has garnered a lot of attention and not all of it is good. In an attempt to dissuade such negative attentions, our resident swashbuckler flashes her winning smile at everyone around and gestures to me (A large, farm-boy style paladin in full plate, hefting around a tower shield on his back) and says “He’s a street performer!” Everyone laughs and claps. So I roll with it. I roll a perform check: street theater. I have zero ranks in perform of any sort, so this should be funny. I like doing stuff like this. I roll pronounce checks for a language the swashbuckler is trying to teach me (which has resulted in me thanking people by offering them goats).
    So, on this perform check, which the DM graciously allows me to roll despite any lack of sense to the act at all…

    Nat 20.

    I describe my crazy plate-clad folk tap dance. There is clanking and awesomeness. People clap and cheer and throw money. The swashbuckler is gathering up coins while important discussions and research are going on behind us. Until the rest of the party notices me dancing. And just stares.

    Monk: “Roland…didn’t you grow up on a farm?”
    Paladin: “Ever been to a country fair before?” ::clank clank clank do si do!::
    Monk: “What…exactly…is a do si do?”
    Paladin: ::takes monk by the shoulders:: Allow me to explain…

    Cue fake discussion of D&D country dancing that my DM wouldn’t let me go into because people were dying of laughter. I plan on showing up next session with a list of things I have told the monk about. It’s awesome.

  2. - Top - End - #2

    Default Re: The Dancing Paladin of Dance

    Have you ever considered multiclassing into Bard?
    Last edited by Pharaoh's Fist; 2009-11-13 at 11:43 AM.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator
     
    truemane's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Grognardia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Dancing Paladin of Dance

    Hahaha. That's an excellent story.

    "There is clanking and awesomeness." That is my new favourite sentance of all time. I can't imagine when I'll ever get to use it in conversation, but one day 10 years from now it'll happen, I'll throw it down and laugh my face off and no one will have any idea what the hell is going on.
    Tarot-Mage-atar by Cuthalion, may their updates be ever-compatible.

    If you need me to address something as a moderator, please include a link.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Midwest City, OK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Dancing Paladin of Dance

    Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh's Fist View Post
    Hm. What level are you? Paladin/Bards are an interesting gish combo that you might enjoy.
    Indeed it is. I 2nd that and raise you with a prestige class!

    -X
    Chris Bennett
    Author of Path of War
    Freelancer

    My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.
    My extended homebrew signature!

    Follow me on Facebook!

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Dancing Paladin of Dance

    For your next trick, you could try something like this:

    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2009

    Default Re: The Dancing Paladin of Dance

    Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh's Fist View Post
    Have you ever considered multiclassing into Bard?
    It was definitely suggested.

    We joked a lot about it. I tend to waste nat 20s. That was my second one of the night (the first being a righteous and painful crit on an unfortunate cultist).

    Previously I rolled a crit to convince a cleric in 4e that his religion was slightly flawed. WHOOPS.

    I need to stop rolling for jokes.

    I haven't yet crit on one of my pronounce checks but if I do it's going to be awesome. I might burst into sonnet.

  7. - Top - End - #7

    Default Re: The Dancing Paladin of Dance

    Quote Originally Posted by AtwasAwamps View Post
    It was definitely suggested.

    We joked a lot about it. I tend to waste nat 20s. That was my second one of the night (the first being a righteous and painful crit on an unfortunate cultist).

    Previously I rolled a crit to convince a cleric in 4e that his religion was slightly flawed. WHOOPS.

    I need to stop rolling for jokes.

    I haven't yet crit on one of my pronounce checks but if I do it's going to be awesome. I might burst into sonnet.
    Oh dear, the things houserules can bring :P

    Tell me you don't also use a critical fumble houserule.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Everyman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Dancing Paladin of Dance

    Have you heard of the Slippers of Battledancing? It's an item in either the DMG2 or MIC (maybe both). In a nutshell, they allow you to use Cha for attack rolls. Maybe dancing can be your paladin's muse.
    ...
    Maybe you can crit with them and then yell "You just got served!".
    D&D: Libra Edition
    An update to the core 3.5 system

    Currently posted
    Barbarian (Updated- Table completed)

    Coming soon...
    Bard

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2009

    Default Re: The Dancing Paladin of Dance

    Quote Originally Posted by sofawall View Post
    Oh dear, the things houserules can bring :P

    Tell me you don't also use a critical fumble houserule.
    Oh we do. Lord do we.

    Yeah. There aren't a ton of houserules. 20 is an automatic success in some way or another, 1 is a critical failure/fumble in one way or another.

    Crit fails can be interesting. In combat, we have the standard "Draw from a deck of unfortunate stuff that can happen to you." This has resulted in my paladin, at 0 hit points, surrounded by fiendish apes, managing to disable 2 apes and insult a third to the point of it trying to attack only me. While being at 0 hit points. They ALL fumbled on me. It was my best in-combat performance ever.

    On the flip side, out of combat, they are very odd and random. A crit failed spot check can have us see something that isn't there. I admire my group immensely for its ability to not metagame. A crit failed tracking check resulted in them traipsing about the woods for two days much to the DMs delight, with no positive effects at all. It's fun!

    I have yet to crit fail pronouncing something but when I do, just you wait. It's going to be awesome.

  10. - Top - End - #10

    Default Re: The Dancing Paladin of Dance

    Quote Originally Posted by AtwasAwamps View Post
    Oh we do. Lord do we.

    Yeah. There aren't a ton of houserules. 20 is an automatic success in some way or another, 1 is a critical failure/fumble in one way or another.

    Crit fails can be interesting. In combat, we have the standard "Draw from a deck of unfortunate stuff that can happen to you." This has resulted in my paladin, at 0 hit points, surrounded by fiendish apes, managing to disable 2 apes and insult a third to the point of it trying to attack only me. While being at 0 hit points. They ALL fumbled on me. It was my best in-combat performance ever.

    On the flip side, out of combat, they are very odd and random. A crit failed spot check can have us see something that isn't there. I admire my group immensely for its ability to not metagame. A crit failed tracking check resulted in them traipsing about the woods for two days much to the DMs delight, with no positive effects at all. It's fun!

    I have yet to crit fail pronouncing something but when I do, just you wait. It's going to be awesome.
    Do me a favour. Make a jump check. Say you are jumping to the moon. You will fail. Do it again. You will fail again. Keep doing it until you roll a 20.

    You just jumped to the moon.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Glass Mouse's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    The Icy North
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: The Dancing Paladin of Dance

    Hey, invoking fumbles and crits on skill checks is AWESOME for the very reason given in the OP.

    (Also, I wanna make a paladin/bard now, just for the giggles)
    Last edited by Glass Mouse; 2009-11-13 at 01:51 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show


    Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

    Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.


  12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2009

    Default Re: The Dancing Paladin of Dance

    Quote Originally Posted by sofawall View Post
    Do me a favour. Make a jump check. Say you are jumping to the moon. You will fail. Do it again. You will fail again. Keep doing it until you roll a 20.

    You just jumped to the moon.
    See, the reason houserules can work is because people go with the tacit understanding that what you just said is an idiotic and stupid thing to do made entirely for the purpose of saying houserules can't work.

    Rather than try and ruin part of the fun for my group, I think I'll go ahead and play in the way we all still enjoy.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Kris Strife's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Dancing Paladin of Dance

    Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    Hey, invoking fumbles and crits on skill checks is AWESOME for the very reason given in the OP.

    (Also, I wanna make a paladin/bard now, just for the giggles)
    Grab Devoted Performer if you do. Feat from Complete Scoundrel, removes Bard's must be nonlawful restriction AND lets the classes stack for some things.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •