New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Need help with....a ROCK-OFF.

I'm running a steampunk-styled fantasy game, and I've run into a snag regarding player expectations.
    One of the main characters is a famous entertainer - essentially the world's first rock star. Complete with stage-diving from a steam-powered vessel and coal-powered guitar.
    Y'know. Players.

Anyway, about 6 sessions ago the party tried to cut a deal with this insane biologist who also happened to be a creepy fan of the rock star. When the deal went south and they wound up behind bars, the doctor decided to modify his appearance to look like the PC, steal his clothing, instrument, and vessel, and pick up where the PC left off.

The players busted out of jail and spent the last six game sessions trekking back to the capital city on foot, and they are going to be just in time to confront the insane doctor and regain the PC's identity.

Originally, it was going to be cut and dry. The bodysnatching doctor doesn't actually have any SKILL, and was going to walk onstage, freeze for a solid minute as he suffers intense stage fright, then burst into a rendition of some terrible song he wrote himself and ruin the rockstar's reputation. The doc is well-equipped with a pair of robotic arms protruding from his back that he would then use in a physical, onstage fight against the PCs.

But for the last month and a half the players have been looking at each other and whispering, in hushed tones, 'ROCK OFF.' I've apparently set the groundwork for one of the more epic showdowns in our gaming group. And I have no idea how to run this.

Secondly, not being a fan of mainstream rock music (the PC's style is, quote, 'like Nickelback, or that guy who left N'sync' unquote), I don't have any background music that would work for such a showdown that's not distractingly lyric-heavy.

As a GM, how would you handle this situation?
    Last edited by Dust; 2009-11-13 at 12:54 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Need help with....a ROCK-OFF.

1) Stage should have fire, nigh-nude back-up dancers, amps or at least lightning powered boxes that can blow up, and possibly demons.

2) See if you can find some of the "Duel" music from the later guitar hero series. They are fun. Alternative: Dueling Banjos.

3) Opposing performance checks. On criticals they blow each others clothes off with ROCK POWER. Critical misses? Their pants fall down.

Okay, seriously? Opposing performance checks with Charisma/Diplomacy checks to work the crowd. Treat the crowd like a single mob creature and try and improve their attitudes towards one or the other. Is this DnD 3.5 or at least d20 based? Complete Warrior has interesting arena combat rules helping govern crowd response.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

You totally need a set of contested perform rolls here, with bonuses according to whatever stage theatrics they can pull off. The character's reputation is on the line. It's not the right style of music, but for some reason I keep hearing Charlie Daniels doing "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" in my head when I think about the rock-off.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Read complete warrior, it has a part on crowds. And gladiatorial matches in general.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

5. - Top - End - #5

Goblin

It's not the right style of music, but for some reason I keep hearing Charlie Daniels doing "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" in my head when I think about the rock-off.
    This except the GH3 version

6. - Top - End - #6

PaladinGuy

Alternatively...make the scientist's guitar a laser gun.

7. - Top - End - #7

The GH3 version is a lot more metal.
    Last edited by sofawall; 2009-11-13 at 01:08 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by AtwasAwamps View Post
    Alternatively...make the scientist's guitar a laser gun.
    Among the other good ideas here - I'm youtubing up GH3 Devil Went Down to Georgia as we speak - this is awesome.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Holy crap... this just sounds epic. I realize you probably are not running 4e, but for this scenario: steal the idea of skill challenges from 4th ed and modify it slightly! Since I have no idea what level the PCs are, you will have to set the (appropriately high, but not too high) target DC.

The rules of engagement:
    The PC Rocker (heretofore known as C.D. which stands for Charlie Daniels) may only roll Perform.
    The other PCs (heretofore known as Band) may roll the other skills in order to help C.D.

It is necessary for the player to get X successes before Y failures (note: since you are setting the target DC, you don't want to make it a hard DC and then require 8 successes before 2 failures... make sure there is a balance).

The Band may use any skill appropriate to increase C.D.'s chance of victory. They are the back-up, after all. For each success, do not count it as an overall success, but rather give C.D. a +2 on his roll, similar to aid another. Examples include, but are not limited to:
    Tumble: Yeah, we want to see the Bands bassist tumble around while playing an awesome rift.
    Perform: Although the singer is cool, this concert is all about the Guitarist C.D.
    Bluff: One of C.D.'s allies played poorly -- but he did it while the mad scientist was playing and made it look like the mad scientist did it. Yeah, this should technically give the mad scientist a penalty, but fluff wise, make it a +2 to C.D.'s next check anyway (it works out to the same, especially since mad scientist isn't making any rolls)
    Knowledge (Local or History): "Hey C.D.! A hundred years ago, this city had a travelling bard come through and he did this soft little melody on his harp. The city loved it. Sample it in your masterpiece!"
    Sense Motive: How is the audience responding? This way, the Band gives C.D. some feedback about what's working and what isn't.

Anyway, that gives you some ideas, I hope. I would let their imaginations run with how they want to perform it and let them each make one check to "aid" C.D. If they all successfully aid C.D., his roll should be easy. After all, he's got a kick-butt group supporting him. If they don't support him? It should be a tough role going at it by himself.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGirl

You could combine both your original plan and what your players are clearly hoping for. Start off with the rock-off. Have them roll perform checks, charisma/diplomacy checks, maybe even some intimidate checks to demoralize the doctor. The doctor should also be taking some circumstance penalties to his perform checks, since as you said, he's already terrified.

As the crowd turns against the imposter and begins praising and cheering for your PC (amp this moment up, describe it as a Crowning Moment of Awesome for the PC and the rest of the party)-- the doctor goes "screw this" and busts out into combat mode. Cue epic battle on stage in front of a crowd. For hilarity, the crowd might be uncertain as to whether or not this is an actual fight, or if it is just part of the stage show. After they kill the guy, end with the crowd cheering and screaming for the party.

It'll be awesome for everyone involved, I think.
    "Experience is a good thing. You should hit it." - Lathandar to his Paladin, in response to her prayers for advice on what to do about a Holy Liberator

"Strahd turns into mist." - DM
    "And I turn into a hepa filter." - Lumieras

Quote of the Week:
    "If you go down south, you'll hear of Arthur Bartholomew Bartholomew, a man who changed a town." - Foster
    "Into dust?" - Owen

Characters: Kalinda Gray, Lawful Good Thief

11. - Top - End - #11

PaladinGuy

Even better, go with Rhiannon's but have the CROWD get in on the act of kicking the doctor's ass. Roll ranged weapons for them like bricks. Hell, have them storm the stage and mob him to death while the party watches, then carry away the guitar player on their shoulders like a champion.

You know what you SHOULD do? have the doctor throw away his guitar and get on the drums. THEN THEY CAN TRADE 8 IN ROCK.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

In order for this to be an epic confrontation, the Doc actually has to be able to rock out a little. The PC is obviously the more talented performer, but the doctor has the hardware.

Start with a guitar that can perfectly replicate a 'recorded' performance of one of the PC's songs. (The PC can counter this in a variety of ways, the traditional one being to make up something awesome on the spot. Or, if the Doc wins the first stage of the contest, when the crowd yells for an encore, he's in a tight spot)

Move up to steampunk stage theatrics. A set of massive speakers rising up from trapdoors in the floor. Pyrotechnics. One of these. The Doc isn't doing anything musically impressive, but Rock is about winning the crowd, and the PCs will have to either subvert, sabotage, or out-rock his gear.

And when all else fails, the doctor pulls off his dramatic cloak, extends his mechanical arms, and grabs two more guitars and plays them all at once.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
    And when all else fails, the doctor pulls off his dramatic cloak, extends his mechanical arms, and grabs two more guitars and plays them all at once.
    Mind. Blown.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

And when that fails, then you can start the actual physical battle, as the Doc and his arms swing two of the guitars like axes and play the third continuously through the fight.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

And when that fails, as he is dying, instead of giving his "You got me this time" speech, a devil appears grabs the mad scientist and takes him in a puff of smoke, leaving nothing behind except a golden guitar.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by tcrudisi View Post
    And when that fails, as he is dying, instead of giving his "You got me this time" speech, a devil appears grabs the mad scientist and takes him in a puff of smoke, leaving nothing behind except a golden guitar.
    THIS ^^ in spades!

Another possible option, is to have the mechanical arms play other instruments. I can imagine a steam-punk pipe organ accompanying the guitar riffs (Sabrewulf FTW). Plus, if things go south, the organ can provide cover.

Also, what can the other PCs do during this encounter? Any 'face' characters can get the crowd pumping, any mages can breathe fire and high dex characters can do daring flips... or be backup dancers.

Or (from far out in left field), you can fool the PCs into working for the Dr. Have him working on a flesh golem that's behind curtains, that's getting charged from all the juice going through the amps (or syphoning the crowd's roaring applause). If (when?) the Dr. loses the rock off, have the golem rise and attack (having his capacitors or whatever science was put into him fully charged due to the character's awe-inspiring performance).

Either way, lots of explosions should occur during the rock-off.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

There needs to be merchandise afterwards. A series of scrolls/paintings depicting the rock-off, like a fantasy world equivalent of the concert dvd.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

This evil doctor has to have an Igor, doesn't he? That and a few of his crazed creations ought to be able to form his backup band.

Bonuses if his Frankenstein dudes start doing the dance from Thriller.

EDIT: As for background music, didn't that old CGI cartoon called "Reboot" have an episode where Bob and Megabyte got into a rock-off?
    Last edited by Telonius; 2009-11-13 at 03:25 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    EDIT: As for background music, didn't that old CGI cartoon called "Reboot" have an episode where Bob and Megabyte got into a rock-off?
    YES! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al6ssH4vkdY The greatest cartoon ever!

20. - Top - End - #20

Megabyte kicked Bob's ass.

21. - Top - End - #21

Aw, ninja'd! I was gonna post the Bob vs. Megabyte rock-off!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by sofawall View Post
    Megabyte kicked Bob's ass.
    The best part of the whole thing was when he turned it up to 11.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

23. - Top - End - #23

Kobold

I did a Dance off in Star Wars saga edition with a similar set of ideas. My main suggestion though, instead of having the other players use skill checks to aid the main performance check roll, have them perform combat actions.

You just know that the evil Doctor has Warforged backup dancers equipped with gatling gun wands and self destruct sequences. How well the "backup" (the rest of the party) pulls off various stunts (destroying enemy props, trashing the stage, killing people, Crowd Surfing with Greater Many Shot to get in skirmish damage against the backup dancers) and so on, helps the main persons roll.

Maybe make it so each awesome thing gives an extra action dice. And make the Doctor play by the same rules.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

There's a lot of instrumental rock/metal on Youtube.
    Try searching for songs by IRON ATTACK!, S.S.H. (granted, SSH's have a great deal more synth in them), or Demetori.

Here's one by IRON ATTACK!.

This is one by Demetori that I find particularly awesome: Septette for the Dead Princess ~Ascending into Naught.

And this one could be the doctor's final piece: Luna Dial
    Last edited by AslanCross; 2009-11-13 at 05:57 PM.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by AslanCross View Post
    There's a lot of instrumental rock/metal on Youtube.
    Try searching for songs by IRON ATTACK!, S.S.H. (granted, SSH's have a great deal more synth in them), or Demetori.

Here's one by IRON ATTACK!.

This is one by Demetori that I find particularly awesome: Septette for the Dead Princess ~Ascending into Naught.

And this one could be the doctor's final piece: Luna Dial
    Wait, I know that name...

Oh right, Stepmania! Someone made a simfile for a song by them!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Gilded Duke View Post
    I did a Dance off in Star Wars saga edition with a similar set of ideas. My main suggestion though, instead of having the other players use skill checks to aid the main performance check roll, have them perform combat actions.

You just know that the evil Doctor has Warforged backup dancers equipped with gatling gun wands and self destruct sequences. How well the "backup" (the rest of the party) pulls off various stunts (destroying enemy props, trashing the stage, killing people, Crowd Surfing with Greater Many Shot to get in skirmish damage against the backup dancers) and so on, helps the main persons roll.

Maybe make it so each awesome thing gives an extra action dice. And make the Doctor play by the same rules.
    This.

Don't just have them do skill checks. Those're boring.

Have the Dr. on one side of the stage, the PC rock-star on the other, up on daises, with a wide stage between them partly filled with smoke, roaring flames, explosions, lasers, and electrical discharges. Other obstacles and set-dressings should include wiring hanging from the ceiling, amps, and all sorts of instruments nee weaponry. PCs vs the Dr's fiendish robotic creations (warforged, golems, animated objects, and so on). Each side starts on their respective end of the stage, and they have to duke it out in the midst of the environmental hazards.

The party's magic users should be using the flashiest spells they've got (bonus points if they use them in spectacularly METAL ways). Any rogues etc in the group should be tumbling around to avoid AoOs, and pushing the opponents into flames and such. Melees should be pushing them off into the crowds (where they'll be torn to pieces for souvenirs). Any of the Dr's side that is destroyed should explode in fireworks and metal riffs. For extra awesome, dress the robots up in wild colors and give them grafts of everything from wind generators to flame throwers to buzz-saw blades.

Meanwhile, the chords played by both the Dr and the rock star (using Perform checks) should send bolts of lightning and fire across the stage, causing hazards in the center to flare appropriately, give bonuses of various kinds to their allies, and demoralize the opposing side with penalties.

Check out Brütal Legend. The gods of metal and the rule of cool pwn all.
    Last edited by Lycanthromancer; 2009-11-13 at 09:54 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

I second that if this is going to be a Crowning Moment of Awesome, the Doc has to put up a stiff fight.

One option is that the Doc has upgraded the PC's guitar a little to better work with those metal arms of his: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80DtQD5BQ_A, 02:20 or so.

Or instead of measly Warforged backup dancers... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBtjSHm3ZH0. That'll give the rest of the group something to fight while the PC bard and the Doc duel with skill checks in the foreground. Is the Doc getting the upper hand? Give his metal monster a boost: he starts shooting off fire or lightning breath weapons or something. PC winning? Stat bonuses to the group.

Honestly, anything by Tenacious D is pretty good in context.
    People seemed to like this better, but only marginally so - the way one might prefer to be stabbed than shot. Optimally, one isn't stabbed or shot. Optimally, one eats some cake! But there are times when cake is not available, and instead we are destroyed. This is the deep poetry of the universe. -- Tycho Brahe

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by dyslexicfaser View Post
    I second that if this is going to be a Crowning Moment of Awesome, the Doc has to put up a stiff fight.

One option is that the Doc has upgraded the PC's guitar a little to better work with those metal arms of his: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80DtQD5BQ_A, 02:20 or so.

Or instead of measly Warforged backup dancers... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBtjSHm3ZH0. That'll give the rest of the group something to fight while the PC bard and the Doc duel with skill checks in the foreground. Is the Doc getting the upper hand? Give his metal monster a boost: he starts shooting off fire or lightning breath weapons or something. PC winning? Stat bonuses to the group.

Honestly, anything by Tenacious D is pretty good in context.
    I was actually wondering if that video would show up.

How about this as a use for an extra arm?

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by AslanCross View Post
    And then your players find out you're playing Touhou music at them and it's just ohhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Not good.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

You might want to change up the rules for the battle. It's not the high level spells that cause the most damage to the Dr's cause; it's the ones that look the most awesome. Twin lightning bolts and prismatic spray should beat out disintegrate, just because they're cool SFX.

The Dr's side is powered by ennui and indifference...The robots don't die from plain old damage; they should be overloaded with awesome until they explode. Performing a solo-riff in the middle of the stage on your knees with a fireball going off behind you should kill more enemies than any number of Great Cleaving Power Attacks. The mundanes and magic users should team up to be as inspiring and impressive as possible.