Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Funny story, yes? Freelance peacekeeping in the Fallout wastes.

Never try to reason with time travelers. They never seem to understand business.

But I get ahead of myself, yes?

The name's Death's Head. I'm a freelance peacekeeping agent.

Handsome chap, right? That's me.

Anyway, I was trying to catch a fugitive for the Time Valence Authority. Old acquaintance of mine, smug little guy going around time in a police box.

Underestimated him, yes?

Well, wound up in a post apocalyptic wasteland, unarmed. Managed to keep a holographic projector, though. Locals might not be fond of robotic types. Well, large structure nearby. Might as well see if anyone's in need of a freelance peacekeeping agent, eh?

So, yeah. LPing Fallout one as everyone's favorite not-bounty hunter.

Further bulletins as events warrant.
    Last edited by chiasaur11; 2009-11-14 at 02:20 AM.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Funny story, yes? Freelance peacekeeping in the Fallout wastes.

I completely support this thread. Don't finish it too quickly, I'd like you not to have more then half of all completed lps here.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

It's a Chiasaur LP, so it will rock.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cubey View Post
    It's a Chiasaur LP, so it will rock.
    This.

Looking forward to it, Chia.
    Not forgetting Yldenfrei and the wonderful avatar she made.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Great. Now I have standards to live up to.

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

6. - Top - End - #6

That's what happens when you actually put effort into things.

Hmm... from what story/episode/whatevers is he from? And what Who did he go against?
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

7. - Top - End - #7

If it lessens the pressure on you Chiasaur, I just want you to know I never enjoyed your Marathon LP's*. No offense, I just want you to not feel as pressured.

*No, seriously.
    Kyonko avatar by Elder Tsofu. Revere them.

Spoiler
    Show

JAM Project + Okkusenman = PURE UNDILUTED AWESOME

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    Great. Now I have standards to live up to.
    Standards suck. Let's fight for more mediocrity!

No, seriously, this should be fun. Is this Falllout 1, 2, or 3?
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

I am surprisingly unsurprised by your choice of a protagonist.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Fiddler View Post
    That's what happens when you actually put effort into things.

Hmm... from what story/episode/whatevers is he from? And what Who did he go against?
    Comics. He went up against the 7th Doctor a couple of times. Not when working for the TVA, though. Fought the Doctor after his showdown with Unicron, but before he met the Fantastic Four. His history is kinda convoluted and awesome.

And LoR? Sorry you didn't like the Marathon LPs. Can't win 'em all, I guess. Still, less pressure.

(Fallout 1.)
    Last edited by chiasaur11; 2009-11-14 at 02:15 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11

Ehh, I feel it's less your fault than the fact that the Marathon-verse is so bloody complicated and incomprehensible it turns in on itself and becomes boring. Not even your mad-LP skills could make it interesting (the X-Com thread proved to me you're good with LP's).

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Default Work's work, right?

I went up to the structure. The door was locked, but there was some kind of communications system. No way I was getting the door down, and it seemed unlikely whoever was inside would be in much of a mood to pay someone for a job when they just totaled their defenses, yes? Communication system seemed the best bet.

A crackly voice came out of the system.

"Why are you standing here talking? We need the water chip soon, or everyone will die. We sent you out hours ago, but it seems you're too scared of the rats to bother about saving the entire vault!"

Ah. Looks like the skeleton next to me had a job to do. And something had stopped him. Still, skeletonized in hours? Unusually thorough rats, huh?

Well, it looked like someone had a job that needed doing. And money's money.

"Well, I was thinking. Seems you'd be needing the chip just to survive, yes? Be worth a lot of money. If I find somewhere outside with water, no reason to risk my life for nothing when I could survive outside just as easy. Never liked you anyway."

Last bit was a gamble, I admit, but people don't generally like bosses who send them out to be eaten by rats.

"Fine. We'll give you... 500 supply rations. And that's all I can do. More than enough to ensure a life of comfort. Good enough?"

No, probably not, but considering my current bargaining position, it would have to do for now.

"Fine, for now. But if this proves more difficult than you said, well, we can renegotiate then. Any idea where to start?"

"I already said Vault 15. Few miles east. Honestly..."

Cut him off. I already knew what I needed, might as well try to get my bearings before whatever ate the guy with my job before me comes back.

Poor schmuck had some supplies. Knife, pistol...

Not what I'd like to have, but you make do with what's given you, right? Besides, it was better than what I had a couple minutes ago.

Rats were less of an issue than I thought. One round apiece and they exploded into chunks. That's that, I guess. Managed to get out of the cave I was in and start heading east. Wasn't the best paying job, but work's work.

Ran into a small town on my way.

Sure, the guy at the vault sounded urgent, but a few more jobs couldn't hurt, yes?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Well, smoothly done introduction. Not that I'd know what he's like in the comics you mentioned, but this first conversation does give some insight into our protagonist's character.

Concerning my actual (nonexistent) knowledge of him, some details about him would be nice, though. Just something about what he's like in the comics. Wikipedia doesn't have much, at least as far as actual characterization is concerned.
    (Statblock would also be nice.)

Also, this little bit with adding ", yes?" and the like to the end of sentences - I guess you did this as frequently as it appeared in the comics, or even less so, but considering that this LP will be written from his viewpoint, I still think it's a bit much.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Woo!

I haven't actually beaten Fallout 1 before, I keep getting stuck. I should LP Fallout 2, like I secretly wanted to. But then people would comment on my fail Kabuto LP..
    trill in da playground

15. - Top - End - #15

Who's Kabato?

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anatharon View Post
    I haven't actually beaten Fallout 1 before, I keep getting stuck.
    Heh...me too.

Usually somewhere in the first town, actually, although I made it quite far once. I think.

But then people would comment on my fail Kabuto LP..
    Did that actually ever start? Because, if not, it's not a failure and you should start Fallout 2. Right now.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Blade View Post
    Did that actually ever start? Because, if not, it's not a failure and you should start Fallout 2. Right now.

No, it didn't.

Allright. Thread is being made, if I can work out a way to get screenshots more efficently.
    trill in da playground

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

You want to beat Fallout?

Pick gifted. It's easy mode fun times.

How I beat the game. Well, I also maxed int for more skills and face shooting, but...

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Int and Agility are generally the best stats, though completely dumping strength is bad since you will not be able to use any weapons effectively or carry very much. That is if you just care about winning rather than about using a specific character, which can be seen as a wrong way around playing Fallout.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Int and Agility are generally the best stats
    I've beaten this game on the hardest mode with a wimp that had EN and AG 4, and he still could barely find any challenge.

Power Armor and energy weapons are this game's breaker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Mordekaiser for president.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

So, a question for the audience.

Should I try to keep Ian alive?

Or just grab him to help with the scorpions, then hide his body in a ditch?

22. - Top - End - #22

Keep him alive. You don't need to overcomplicate things with random people dead, yes?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Although, if he ever shoots you in the back (and he will) then kill him.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Default Hard to find good help these days.

Talked to the front gate guard. Seems the locals had a problem with some large arachnids. Didn't seem like they'd be able to pay much, but it was a side job. Really, can't expect much of these things. Still, the scorpion cave sounded unpleasant. Best to bring whatever "heroic" sorts could be convinced to do it for the good of the town. Don't want to split the take too many ways, yes?

Seems I was able to find one. Local mercenary was willing to do the job for "a piece of the action". Some people need to learn the finer points of the trade, especially when it comes to payment. Still, not my place to teach, huh?

Locals weren't kidding about the risk from the scorpions. I'd dealt with worse, but these were nastier than the standard. I took a couple with my new pistol, but these things made me miss my old toys more than usual. I could use a plasma rifle.

I felt a light ding on my left shoulder. Not the kind that came from scorpions either. Seems Ian was either a worse shot, or a better judge of payment then I thought. Well, either way it's best to discourage that kind of thing.

"Aaagh!"
    "Now, Ian, I know you organics tend to value your reproductive organs. No idea why. I was feeling generous today, so the little incident with the pistol? All forgiven. You repeat it, however, and I replay my little retribution, but replace a punch with a few bullets. We have an understanding, yes?"

"...yes."

"Good. We seem to be just about done here. Best to go back to town and collect, huh?"

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Ah, good old Ian and his not so secret hatred of you..
    Last edited by Inhuman Bot; 2009-11-17 at 05:43 PM.
    trill in da playground

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Default So much for easy money, right?

Went back to town to collect my fee, and I got reminded of why I try to stick to the big contracts. Even Ian could notice the deal was bad.

"A sharp stick. I nearly get killed by a bug the size of a Brahmin, and you give me a metal stick. I don't know if you've noticed, but there are these things called 'guns'. Kind of useful. And I have one. So, if this is the pay..."

"We are grateful, wanderers, but we are not exactly the richest of communities. This spear was given to be by my father, and to him by his. It is an artifact from before the bombs fell..."

"And that's nice, pops, but it ain't exactly worth much down at the hub. Now, I'll give you a three count, as I'm feeling generous, but..."

Best to step in before he does something stupid, yes?

"I'm forced to agree with the twerp in the jacket. Maybe in the wastes this constitutes acceptable pay, but I've definitely had better. Professional standards mean I can't pluck your eyeballs out one at a time and devour them this time, but you should consider cash if you find yourself employing me in the future, yes?"

"I... see. Well, you said you were going?"

"Right. Well, tell your friends, assuming they can pay better. Have a vault to examine East of here."

I started walking off when a voice already becoming more irritating came from the west of me.

"Hey! You can't call this fair payment for the job I've done so far! You said I was getting a piece of the action, which means this vault job of yours? I get a share."

Hnn. Might as well, I suppose. Good to have a body between me and any bullets, huh?

A few days walk and we got to the vault. Guy who gave the job said to find a water chip.Don't see how a shack like this could have better tech than I'd seen on this mudball, but I was getting paid to look.

That was more like it. Huge metal doors tend to be guarding something. Still, looked as if someone had been here first. Well, might be a bounty on whoever's in there. Or they might have left some useful gear. Either way, there's money in looking.

Unfortunately, there's no market right now for giant rat carcasses. Guess that would make me very rich.

Ian seemed not to appreciate the joke. No sense of humor. Well, you take whatever idiots will do the job for free, and you need to lower standards a little. At least he didn't complain about the killing. Some people just don't understand business.

Some useful supplies deeper in. Grenades, light armor, rapid fire slugthrowers...

Not a TVA emergency munitions supply station, but it looked promising. Either the door had been busted off the handles from the inside, or the previous looter hadn't gotten past the rats. Either way, better luck for me.

"Is that a H&K MP9 10mm SMG? I heard all of those were long gone. One of the finest portable side arms in the world. You gotta let me have it."

Seems Ian needed a reminder on our current contract.

"I should just give you a deadly weapon? Seems you have a lot to learn about basic survival. I haven't lasted in this business by handing hardware over to rivals for free, yes? I figure that lesson would be worth more to you than a simple SMG."

"No. No it wouldn't."

See? No sense of humor. Well, explored most of the place. Chip should be on the bottom level.

Ah. Grenades didn't have enough force to clear the obstruction. Too bad.

Well, shame to leave a job half done, but there's not much I can do. Chip would be crushed even if I spent days clearing the rocks.

Well, might be another place worth checking. Either way, I was owed something for my efforts, right?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

I'm really enjoying the dynamics between Ian and our protagonist so far.

Also, the critical hit in the groin was hilarious.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks.

So, any side missions anyone wants to see?

I tend to get a bit ahead of myself, so any input on that front's best said now.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

As many as possible. None of them really stick out to me, but i still want to see many of them. The first battle against a deathclaw, the one in The Hub, takes precedent, though.

30. - Top - End - #30

MonkGuy

Great read so far! Though I'm not familiar with the comic book hero(?) you're portraying I'm really enjoying the spin you did on Ian, and the atmosphere in general,
    As for suggestions and feedback, is there any chance you could keep a list of LP updates (with links to the individual posts) in the thread? Going back to read these threads can be quite frustrating when they've grown to a few (dozen) pages.