New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Larger than Colossal

I'm wondering if there's a size category higher than colossal. The thing I want to stat out is insanely huge. It's about twice the height of a medium-size parking lot building.

If you're wondering what it is or if I didn't describe it very well, you can find it here.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Larger than Colossal

I think I remember references to Colossal+ or something.

Maybe from Dracominion? (Or whatever it is)
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

There's Titanic.

The following is from the Immortals handbook

And one category bigger than Titanic is Macro-fine.
    Then Macro-Diminuitive.
    It keeps going all the way through the categories again but with Macro at the start.

Then eventually you get to Macro-Titanic.

The next step after that is to start over again with Mega at the start.

Mega-Fine.
    Mega-Diminuitive.

And the biggest is Mega-Titanic.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

The size categories, starting from Medium, going up, are;

Medium
    Large
    Huge
    Gargantuan
    Colossal
    Colossal+
    Colossal++
    Colossal+++
    Colossal++++
    Colossal+++++

I believe you get the point

Edit:

Here's proof

Check Great Wyrm, and see Colossal+
    Last edited by Eloel; 2009-11-15 at 01:55 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Closak View Post
    There's Titanic.
    The problem with that is that the MM2 has the Titanic template, which makes the base creature Gargantuan. So Titanic-sized creatures are actually smaller than Colossal.

Colossal+ is more fun anyway, since it basically means "so big we don't have a word for it." So a Colossal+ dragon is indescribably huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Closak View Post
    And one category bigger than Titanic is Macro-fine.
    Then Macro-Diminuitive.
    It keeps going all the way through the categories again but with Macro at the start.

Then eventually you get to Macro-Titanic.

The next step after that is to start over again with Mega at the start.

What would actually be that ridiculously enormous? Sentient planes?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Nate the Snake View Post
    The problem with that is that the MM2 has the Titanic template, which makes the base creature Gargantuan. So Titanic-sized creatures are actually smaller than Colossal.

Colossal+ is more fun anyway, since it basically means "so big we don't have a word for it." So a Colossal+ dragon is indescribably huge.

Sentient ATARS. Something around that from immortal handbook. Either that or simply sentient galaxies...

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

I don't think a size category exists to adequately describe the final form of Gurren Lagann.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    Lower levels arcane spells are usually a drag, but lower level psionic powers are often just higher ones waiting to be augmented.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jokey665 View Post
    I don't think a size category exists to adequately describe the final form of Gurren Lagann.
    Size category: Awesome.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jokey665 View Post
    I believe the Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagaan would be a Colossal+++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++ construct.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nate the Snake View Post
    Well, this one is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

The picture you just showed was something that was probably of Colossal size anyways... check the rules on the sizes, he probably isn't as big as you think. -refering to the picture provided in the first post-

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Colossal+ just means >colossal.

I'd just continue the pattern for all size modifiers.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

For what needs Mega-titanic size, Mechanus. When it forms into a plane-sized inevitable due to someone killing enough modrons.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

The biggest animal ever known to have existed, the blue whale, is probably the only animal we know of that reached colossal size, being more than 64ft long and weighing more than 125 tons as per d20srd. The largest land dinosaurs might have reached that size category by length but not by size. So everything larger than gargantuan is friking huge.

The size categories for length or height seem to follow 2 to the order of x so if colossal is 64ft+ then colossal+ would be 128ft+ in either length or height, Colossal++ would be 256ft etc.
    Last edited by Ormur; 2009-11-15 at 09:34 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

So what size would, say, Godzilla be? He's well over 128 feet tall, isn't he?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
    So what size would, say, Godzilla be? He's well over 128 feet tall, isn't he?
    Up from the depths
    30 stories high
    Breathing fire
    He stands in the sky
    GODZILLA!
    GODZILLA!
    GODZILLA!

And Godzuki KILL IT WITH FIRE
    Last edited by Lycanthromancer; 2009-11-15 at 09:06 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Planetar

To be honest, the artwork provided looks like a Colossal creature. It might be big enough to qualify as Colossal+/Titanic/whatever you want to call it, but I'd just call it Colossal and leave it at that in that situation.

18. - Top - End - #18

In Munchkin D20, Ludicrous is bigger than Colossal.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LordWolfgang View Post
    The picture you just showed was something that was probably of Colossal size anyways... check the rules on the sizes, he probably isn't as big as you think. -refering to the picture provided in the first post-
    Judging from the 8 story building that comes up to its waist, I'd say it's in the neighborhood of 150 feet tall. That's significantly bigger than the average range for Colossal-sized creatures in D&D.

Of course, since this is clearly not a D&D-related creature, I would say that you'd use a system that's designed to handle things on that scale. For example, Star Wars Saga Edition has 3 subcategories of the Colossal size which are used for the various starships and things. They are Colossal (frigate), Colossal (cruiser), and Colossal (station). As with D&D's Colossal+ size category, the size penalties stop increasing past the initial Colossal phase, however there are some other aspects of the system which make use of the extra size categories.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

I believe Godzilla is 100 meters tall by canon. That would be approximately 330 feet.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Actually, internets say you are both more-or-less right. The Original version of Godzilla was a mere 50 meters tall, but his less black-and-white successor was 80, and later 100 meters tall.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Another vote for calling it "Ludicrous".
    I cast Prismatic Ray on your puny plot hook!

Shiny avatar by Edwin.

Spoiler
    Show

I Am A: Neutral Good Elf Wizard/Cleric (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-14
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-10
    Charisma-11
    Alignment:Neutral Good
    Race:Elven
    Primary Class:Wizard
    Secondary Class:Cleric

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post

Wow... Just wow.

I love the fact that every other number is nigh-infinite, but its deflection bonus to AC is only +38.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ormur View Post
    The biggest animal ever known to have existed, the blue whale, is probably the only animal we know of that reached colossal size, being more than 64ft long and weighing more than 125 tons as per d20srd. The largest land dinosaurs might have reached that size category by length but not by size. So everything larger than gargantuan is friking huge.

The size categories for length or height seem to follow 2 to the order of x so if colossal is 64ft+ then colossal+ would be 128ft+ in either length or height, Colossal++ would be 256ft etc.
    Amphicoelias fragillimus and Bruhathkysaurus are both estimated to exceed 125 short tons. However both are very, very fragmentary, and still somewhat disputed (and the vertebra for Amphicoelias was lost.

The Bowhead whale, at up to 66 ft long and 150 tons in weight, is Colossal by weight, at least.

64 ft for quadrupeds (whales have remnants of the rear legs, even if they don't project outside the body) usually means "to the base of tail"

This could be, for whales, where the "back vertebrae" end and the "tail vertebrae" begin- roughly at the vent.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

25. - Top - End - #25

Hmmm, yes Bowhead Whales would be colossal too and if those size estimates for the largest dinosaurs are right so would they. Of course the size categories are mostly intended to account for reach so I don't know if the tail of animals with proportionately big ones should be factored in, it can be used as a weapon. I also wonder if the SRD figures are short tons or metric tons. The difference could be significant for determining the size category of Amphicoelias. I always think in metric so when I see the word "ton" I think 1000 kg. Because of the (very annoying) almost exclusive use of WOTC of the imperial system I suppose it's more likely to be 907 kg.

Anyway, colossal seems to be the exception and absolutely the upper limit when it comes to size in the animal kingdom.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Ormur View Post
    Hmmm, yes Bowhead Whales would be colossal too and if those size estimates for the largest dinosaurs are right so would they. Of course the size categories are mostly intended to account for reach so I don't know if the tail of animals with proportionately big ones should be factored in, it can be used as a weapon. I also wonder if the SRD figures are short tons or metric tons. The difference could be significant for determining the size category of Amphicoelias. I always think in metric so when I see the word "ton" I think 1000 kg. Because of the (very annoying) almost exclusive use of WOTC of the imperial system I suppose it's more likely to be 907 kg.

Anyway, colossal seems to be the exception and absolutely the upper limit when it comes to size in the animal kingdom.
    Not just animals have sizes.

What's the size of the empire state building?

27. - Top - End - #27

Most of the time, when figures are given, they are given for both.

The weight estimates for Amphicoelias were 122 metric tonnes, 135 short tons.

D&D uses the short ton (1 short ton = 2000 pounds)

When it comes to size, one of the problems is that D&D base sizes do not scale at the rate that lengths from nose to base of tail (or from feet to top of head, for bipeds) do.

Resulting in very cramped-looking figures- a Huge eldritch giant from the War of the Dragon Queen set positively towers over its base.

the Colossal dragon miniature, despite the fact that Colossal, and even Colossal+, dragons normally have a 30 ft base, has a 40 ft base.

Possibly as a result of this problem.

If weight is considered only a guideline, the fin whale (at 88 ft long) is also a good candidate for Colossal size. You could put it on a 30 ft base, give it 30 ft reach for both a head slam and a tail slap, and it would still be a feasible Colossal creature.

28. - Top - End - #28

A good example of weight being ignored- the Dragon Magazine 318 dinosaurs. Colossal for a 90 ft Diplodocus is a little overgenerous. Especially when, thanks to recent research on sauropod weight, it was probably in the vicinity of 11 short tons in weight.

Same would apply to Gargantuan for a Giganotosaurus- weight and length estimates are currently around 40-41 ft long and 5 tons for the holotype, and 43.8 ft long and 6 tons for the specimen that they only have a fragment of jawbone for.

Basically- it's T. rex sized in length, and slightly lighter in weight. The longest mounted T. rex is slightly longer at 42 ft compared to the mounted Gigantosaurus in various museums, and there is a T. rex skull even bigger than that of the mounted specimen (59 inches long compared to the 55 inches long of "Sue".

Even within core, some creatures are a little lighter than their size category would indicate- the roc in particular.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2009-11-16 at 05:25 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    A good example of weight being ignored- the Dragon Magazine 318 dinosaurs. Colossal for a 90 ft Diplodocus is a little overgenerous. Especially when, thanks to recent research on sauropod weight, it was probably in the vicinity of 11 short tons in weight.

Same would apply to Gargantuan for a Giganotosaurus- weight and length estimates are currently around 40-41 ft long and 5 tons for the holotype, and 43.8 ft long and 6 tons for the specimen that they only have a fragment of jawbone for.

Even within core, some creatures are a little lighter than their size category would indicate- the roc in particular.
    For fliers, the loss of weight is justified. Especially if they are expected to bear loads, they'll have as few wasted pounds as possible.

As for the errors on dinosaurs, remember the MMI was written several years ago. Paleontology has advanced since then. There may be disparities between the modern numbers and the ones available at the time of printing.

Or WotC could be full of idiots.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

30. - Top - End - #30

Or Paizo, in the Diplodocus case.

They also insisted on making T. rex Gargantuan, with a 20 ft space and reach, in Pathfinder.

Wizards at least put Spinosaurus as 60 ft Gargantuan way back in 2002, before the reports on the actual new fossils started being published, confirming an upper length estimate of around 60 ft.

Which is surprisingly prescient on their part.

I can live with flyers being underweight. And the nose to base of tail length given for the roc was 30 ft- close enough to the 32 ft minimum to be given a pass.

Wizards also managed to revise the Deinonychus downward to Medium eventually- in online errata to 3.5.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2009-11-16 at 05:31 AM.