New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Devil

Default 3.5 Feat combination

How do you see this working out?

Double Wand Wielder

As a full-round action, you can wield a wand in each hand (if you have both hands free), with one wand designated as your primary wand and the other your secondary wand. Each use of the secondary wand expends 2 charges from it instead of 1.

Wand Expertise

You may activate a wand in place of an attack instead of as a standard action. As a full-round action, you could thus make as many wand activations as you could normally make ranged attacks. For instance, if your base attack bonus is +11, you could activate a wand three times as a full-round action. If you also had the Rapid Shot feat, you could activate the wand four times as a full-round action.
    Each activation after the first costs one additional charge from the wand, cumulative. Thus, the second activation in a round costs 2 extra charges, the third activation 3 extra charges, and so forth.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: 3.5 Feat combination

I've never seen Wand expertise before. Is it homebrewed?

3. - Top - End - #3

Devil

It is from WOTC. I just want to know if both wands get to activate that many times.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The former takes a standard action and makes it a full-round action.

The latter takes a standard action and makes it a smaller action (part of a full attack).

So no, they don't stack. Double Wand Wielder taking a full-round action doesn't meet the requirements of being a standard action for Wand Expertise.
    Proudly without a signature for 5 years. Wait... crap.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

i think this is going to cost you a fortune in both gold and XP to keep the wands charged.

6. - Top - End - #6

Devil

Alright, lets assume I had the two weapon fighting, improved two weapon fighting and greater two weapon fighting feats, would that work?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Still won't work. Double Wand Wielder is a special Full-Round action, Wand Expertise is effectively a Full Attack. They're not quite the same action. Now, if Double Wand Wielder said "you may activate the secondary wand at the same time you activate the primary wand" then you would have a case.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glimbur View Post
    Still won't work. Double Wand Wielder is a special Full-Round action, Wand Expertise is effectively a Full Attack. They're not quite the same action. Now, if Double Wand Wielder said "you may activate the secondary wand at the same time you activate the primary wand" then you would have a case.
    That is, unless your wands are named Hurt and Burn.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

For mitigating the soon to be extreme costs, I suggest eternal wands. Only available up to 3rd level, but given that you'll be apparently using wands a *lot* if you can justify spending two feats on them, burning charges gets expensive quickly.

10. - Top - End - #10

Devil

Forget Dual Wand Wielder, if Wand Expertise can replace an attack, if I use the two weapon fighting line, it should work assuming that a wand counts as a weapon.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    For mitigating the soon to be extreme costs, I suggest eternal wands. Only available up to 3rd level, but given that you'll be apparently using wands a *lot* if you can justify spending two feats on them, burning charges gets expensive quickly.
    They also only work 2/day, and don't satisfy the requirements to spend charges. The only almost-practical way I know of to pull off this kind of thing is to be an Artificer with the appropriate crafting-cost reduction feat and make them yourself as cheaply as you can (or bind some Efreet and make them produce wands for you.)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

By RAW this doesn't work, but it would be a reasonable houserule. Ask your DM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tackyhillbillu View Post
    That is, unless your wands are named Hurt and Burn.
    You have no idea how much I want to make an artificer with Dual Wand Wielder, firing off three shots a round with dual + Quicken applied to wands, while riding atop a speeding Lamborghini.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gametime View Post
    You have no idea how much I want to make an artificer with Dual Wand Wielder, firing off three shots a round with dual + Quicken applied to wands, while riding atop a speeding Lamborghini.
    You'll make damn sure you enemies will rue the day they met you, and rue it hard.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    They also only work 2/day, and don't satisfy the requirements to spend charges. The only almost-practical way I know of to pull off this kind of thing is to be an Artificer with the appropriate crafting-cost reduction feat and make them yourself as cheaply as you can (or bind some Efreet and make them produce wands for you.)
    While true, I believe the primary wand(or wand attack in the case of wand expertise) does not require charges. So, eternal wand should be your main hand if you dual wield them, and if you use wand expertise, I strongly suggest you find the item(which I sadly, cant remember the name of), that holds three wands, and allows you to treat it as wielding all three, and in fact, to fire multiples at once.

I mean, frankly, you're going to want that anyhow. I make no guarantees about how it stacks with the other means of multiple wand usage per round, but the effect of having three wands in one hand, any of which can be used, is quite worthwhile in itself.