New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default DMs, GMs, ZMs, RMs, what form do your notes take?

Basically, how detailed and extensive are your notes for the adventures you're running and what sort of format/medium(media?) are they in?

I've been trying to approach the concept as basically like writing out a adventure module-style setup for the combat/exploration component with either little notes included within it about any sort of encounters and then references to where I've put up a more detailed write-up/speech for more social/important thingies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: DMs, GMs, ZMs, RMs, what form do your notes take?

My notes tend to take the form of maps, for measurement.
    Detailed information for the most important NPCs.
    And then, from there, I keep almost everything in my head, and only note down what information I give to the players so I can cross reference it to reduce contradicting myself.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

I print out the stats of things I expect my players to fight.

If I'm bored I may physically type up backstory notes on areas the players havn't been to yet. I don't use the typed notes for anything though, just typing them engraves them in my memory enough for my satisfaction.

And, uh, yeah, that's about it.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

4. - Top - End - #4

For casters? I stat out the BBEG's and lieutenants.

I generally set a wizard's top 4 levels of spells. Below that, I leave open, and go on the fly from their spellbook. I find this doesn't let them go willy nilly schroedinger, but it adds enough flexibility to allow for the fights to be interesting.

I try to keep my campaign notes limited to a flowchart. The enemy has a general goal. He takes steps to complete it, and, if interrupted, will adapt on the fly.

His shipment of stolen goods is discovered by the PC's? Why, he'll attempt to hire the PC's to recover "stolen" merchandise from a fort of his mercenaries... Namely, the pay he gave them.

Meanwhile, he makes it easy for the PC's by hiring a sizeable amount of the mercs to recover the original stolen goods. He gets more wealth, mercs are practically destroyed by the maneuver (for their failure), and the party now has a working relationship with him, through an intermediary. After all, they're not incompetent. They get the job done.

Things like that, on the fly. Keeping things loose allows for more party freedom, though you need to create villains that people want to hate... or save.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

I type out A4 pages of notes, paragraphed that I adapt on the fly for the NPC's. This is my first dnd campaign though so maby I'm just masochistic. I also use hero forge to creat humonoid npc's and encounters. I also use a grid map to plan battles.
    Never forget you are the walls of steel and iron, between Mankind and a thousand horrors too unspeakable to name. You are the walls of Hell.

My warhammer 40000 Blog: http://bewaretheskinks.blogspot.com/

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Depends on the type of adventure I run

If it is a detective story I tend to have very detailed information about places, npcs (with motivations and relations) and a timeline. This can be about 10 pages sometimes. ( I think 11 (computer written) pages was my maximum)

If itīs a simple dungeon run with perhaps a riddle and some minor story elements a few notes and a map will suffice for me.

So it really depends on the adventure as few as possible as much as necessary .
    I have two notebooks (not pc real books) one is for npcs places they visit
    the other is for stuff they want to do (my current pcs are the lords of a small town and all their discissions I put in there (like trade, sending spies etcetc)

My prepared notes are also on my notebook(pc)
    Last edited by Emmerask; 2009-11-16 at 07:30 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

I usually keep detailed notes on the main protagonists, including motivations and available resources. Combat stats are rather made "on the fly". I also keep a crude storyline at hand. I generally don't bother detailing it too much, because my players usually are experts at doing a sithload of stuff I haven't accounted for.

I write my notes in my native language, which nobody else at my table understands, meaning I can leave the table for a while safely and leave my notes lying around without bothering.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

I use maps, typed adventure outlines, NPC character sheets, 3x5 encounter cards, and hand written 3x5 player note cards. (These are handed out to players if they learn a piece of information that other characters didn't. Then it's up to them to tell the other players, or not.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

durr....notes?

i has them not
    Need a setting for your game? a character concept? any gaming related ideas? I make far to many to eat up myself, and therefor I am willing to share them. Free ideas! Get yer fluff here! PM me.

The friendly neighborhood gentleman perv is always ready to help!

on M&B:
    Quote Originally Posted by Celesyne
    oh, and looting villages is REALLY good money, if a nearby lord doesn't stop by and give you a daily dose of rape.
    http://baetzler.de/humor/meat_beings.html

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Some notes scribbled on a notepad, plus a lot of improvisation.

What's a ZM?
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixRivers View Post
    The enemy has a general goal. He takes steps to complete it, and, if interrupted, will adapt on the fly.

His shipment of stolen goods is discovered by the PC's? Why, he'll attempt to hire the PC's to recover "stolen" merchandise from a fort of his mercenaries... Namely, the pay he gave them.

Meanwhile, he makes it easy for the PC's by hiring a sizeable amount of the mercs to recover the original stolen goods. He gets more wealth, mercs are practically destroyed by the maneuver (for their failure), and the party now has a working relationship with him, through an intermediary. After all, they're not incompetent. They get the job done.

Things like that, on the fly. Keeping things loose allows for more party freedom, though you need to create villains that people want to hate... or save.
    Just wanted to say how much I loved reading that. And how I'm going to steal it for my campaign as soon as I'm done typing this reply out. Kudos!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Everyone loves loopy. It's true.
    My blog, if you are interested in my rambling.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Page on background of main characters, page on goals of BBEG, 5-8 pages of overarching storyline if the BBEG has everything his way, all broken up into session-length chunks. The week or so before a game, I'll stat up the encounters and familiarise myself with the plot for that session. All RP encounters are totally improv, and anything that the PCs do that could change the future course of events gets noted down. When I get home, I then modify the overarching plot according to the PCs actions.

Edit: I also note down subplots that the PCs' instigate. For example, they save a goblin that I expected to die? It becomes a very important goblin, perhaps with special knowledge or power, something to make the PCs think "Wow, we're awesome"
    Last edited by Malacode; 2009-11-16 at 08:04 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Extinguisher View Post
    I don't read the first post. Or the title of the thread. Or anything in the thread to be honest. I just post random words and hope it all makes potato.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Improvisation, and notes for difficult monsters and NPC (dragons, generally, the others can be managed).
    Warning: my time zone and internet acces may lead to strange/late post answers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The rogue isn't really using charisma in melee, the rogue is applying Ability Score #6 to his Type-One attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken-do-nim View Post
    DMing is how you turn D&D from a game into a hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    Players can see a story where there isn't one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    For 4.0? I expect them to whine to the DM until he makes the big bad boogeyman go away.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Some notes scribbled on a notepad, plus a lot of improvisation.

What's a ZM?
    Zombie Master, from All Flesh Must Be Eaten.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

The Colony character: Derek Johnson (retired)
    2e anybody? character: Maksil (retired)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGirl

General outlines of main plot points and sidequests, brief notes on NPCs (getting increasingly more detailed as my players love to talk to EVERYONE and want names and descriptions and family histories...). Stats for most enemies-- I'm pretty bad at coming up with characters on the fly. Oddly enough, the one thing I usually just make up as I go along are maps.

I also take notes on recurring characters, usually enemies who escape the whirlwind of death that is the PCs. They've got an angry black dragon and an angry succubus gunning for them. Of course, they've also befriended a half-fiend bard, so it's not all bad guys.
    "Experience is a good thing. You should hit it." - Lathandar to his Paladin, in response to her prayers for advice on what to do about a Holy Liberator

"Strahd turns into mist." - DM
    "And I turn into a hepa filter." - Lumieras

Quote of the Week:
    "If you go down south, you'll hear of Arthur Bartholomew Bartholomew, a man who changed a town." - Foster
    "Into dust?" - Owen

Characters: Kalinda Gray, Lawful Good Thief

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

In my SWSE game, I used to make really extensive notes, but given the off-the-wall approach my PCs tend to take to overcoming problems, I've drifted more and more towards improvisation. Nowadays, I tend to write up a couple NPCs, sketch a couple of rough maps, and improv from there.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Halfling in the Playground

Zombie

I don't gm DnD, but yeah, not masses of notes. I have stored in my head an exact idea of whats going to happen over the entire campaign, and then write down details that I need-npcs, locations, occasionally statting people when needed.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

Generally nothing at all. I have on occasion written up bits about the setting, but for the most part I improvise. I only really need a concept of the world, and solid motivations for the major NPCs.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Question Re: DMs, GMs, ZMs, RMs, what form do your notes take?

The first thing I do, is get a general outline of what I expect to happen with the adventure. Depending on the adventure in question, this can vary from several pages of notes to simple "In this room they meet these monsters, and kill them".
    Now, the important thing to remember at this stage is that, in any situation more complex than "You are locked in a room with a mindless monster that wants to kill you", you cannot assume for sure that the PC's are going to do anything. You have to know your group however. Some groupsYrun around and go everywhere BESIDES the lake. Other groups need clear directions for what to do.

Either way, it's good to have a Plan, but you should be ready to improvise. Generally your notes should lean towards "This is the way things are at the start of the adventure" rather than "This is the way things are going to go". It's good to have a plan as to what you want to happen, it's not good to consider that a plan of what is Going to happen.

Once you've figured out your basic plot, I start statting out everything that needs stating. Enemies, allies, ect.

Also, remember that things become "Canon" when you tell them to the Players, not when you write it in your notes. Once gameplay has begun, you can change things around however you want.
    Last edited by BRC; 2009-11-16 at 09:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Although I'm running RHOD from the book, I have my notes (since I made heavy modifications to monsters and some events) in MS OneNote on my laptop. I used to rely exclusively on my computer but since it's become unreliable, I print out the statblocks for monsters by encounter.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I'm very serious about my note taking. My last game had more plot than I could keep in my head at one time, so it all had to spill out on paper.

I take notes in a single subject notebook because I need to have one hobby that keeps me away from the computer. On the front inside cover I write a summary of each day that happens in the game. Usually these are one line long. It'll be something like "Day 2 - PCs found NPC_FRIEND dead. Investigated harbor, taverns."

The first few actual pages of the notebook include rules that I expect to use but can't always keep in my memory. UMD or grapple often ends up here if I'm running 3.5. For 4th ed I'll probably need a dozen pages until I get the system down.

Beyond that I start writing sessions. I make sure to number them and I try to come up with a title too. Game sessions are usually a list of who the PCs will run into and their talking points. I don't write out dialogue, but I'll write descriptions of things because otherwise I forget to tell the players what stuff looks like. There's some order to the events I list, but it's rarely followed. I'm not really trying to script the game as I'm trying to be ready for what I expect the PCs to do. Most of the time I'm right, but I'm happy to go off course if I'm not. If I'm feeling super organized I'll note which player gets the spotlight in each of the scenes, if they have personal plot. I try to make sure that there's a balance of individual face time. And if someone is looking bored I'll try to feed them their own personal plot. Sessions are written on one side of each page. I like to have the back of the previous page so I can note what happened in each section. I don't do a lot of random encounters or dungeons. When I do I usually right out a list of enemies. If they're in the MM I'll include page numbers. If not, I'll list relevant stats. Dungeons rarely have maps associated with them. I find that when I come up with the map, I improvise it and don't put much thought into the overall layout. Then I meticulously copy it for the PCs. Why not just improvise it at game time? I do make a list of challenges though and deploy those as needed.

In the back of the book I write plots. I'm a plotty, story based GM and I run plots in parallel. To keep track of this I give each plot a page in the back of the book. Each session that the plot advances (and they usually advance when the players aren't looking) I write the session number and what happened with the plot. This is different than what I do at the front of the book because it's what's actually happening in the world as opposed to what the players witnessed.

NPCs are kept on index cards in a little box. Stats are on the back of their card. I'm trying to learn to write more flavor on the front. My ability to act out NPCs is poor, so I'm making sure to write their traits and mannerisms on the cards. NPCs are color coded, depending on what sorts of groups they belong to (ie, thieves guild and church of Pelor are kept separate).

Next is where I go overboard with organization. I've only had to do this once, for my Game of Thrones campaign. I bought a bunch of those little colored dot stickers (the ones they use to price items at yard sales). Each plot that was set in motion got a dot. Each NPC that was involved in that plot got a dot of the same color. When the players wanted to work on a specific plot, this let me very quickly and easily pull up all my NPCs in a plot. If the players talked to someone unexpectedly, I could look at his colors and see everything that the NPC was involved with. It also let me avoid having a single questgiver who was responsible for everything.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

I might have a relationship map. Or a few notes on some locations and what might be in them.

I haven't done heavy prep since my AD&D2e years, over 15 years ago. I don't try to pre-empt the players at all, unless it's a one-shot.
    Wushu Open Reloaded
    Actual Play: The Shadow of the Sun (Acrozatarim's WFRP campaign) as Pawel Hals and Mass: the Effecting - Transcendence as Russell Ortiz.
    Now running: Tyche's Favourites, a historical ACKS campaign set around Massalia 300BC.
    In Sanity We Trust Productions - our podcasting site where you can hear our dulcet tones, updated almost every week.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Temet Nosce View Post
    Generally nothing at all. I have on occasion written up bits about the setting, but for the most part I improvise. I only really need a concept of the world, and solid motivations for the major NPCs.
    This sums it up pretty well for me.

I do try to write a short summary after each session for my often forgetful players to refer back to, but the only time I typically prepare something before a session is when I'm beginning an entirely new campaign.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

My PCs murder everyone and everything they come across, quite unfortunately, so everything has stats, and everyone has a primary and secondary motivation. My skill at improv is medium to good, so that works well enough for me. Villains have motivation that drives them to evil, heroes to good, and I let life play out from there. As of now, the PCs have assassinated 3 rulers and started 2 international wars, one of which is intercontinental.
    I cast Prismatic Ray on your puny plot hook!

Shiny avatar by Edwin.

Spoiler
    Show

I Am A: Neutral Good Elf Wizard/Cleric (2nd/1st Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-14
    Dexterity-14
    Constitution-12
    Intelligence-17
    Wisdom-10
    Charisma-11
    Alignment:Neutral Good
    Race:Elven
    Primary Class:Wizard
    Secondary Class:Cleric

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

I stat out tons of characters and monsters in my spare time, so I always have a stable of NPCs to pull from if Bad Guy #47 needs stats. Otherwise, if I'm running a plot-based game, I improvise everything (as in, sit down and think for 5 minutes "Where should they be by the end of this session?" and that's it). Setting-based games like a megadungeon crawl I usually write out tons of maps and plenty of minor details, but that's more to help me get in the right frame of mind for the setting rather than to write down anything the PCs are going to need or find out about.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

26. - Top - End - #26
    Firbolg in the Playground

If a baddie is special enough to be different from some random goon out of the Monster Manuals, and it seems likely that the PCs will face it, I generally keep the statblock ready somewhere.

I also use Notepad for all sorts of niggling little notes, so campaign-related stuff typically shows up there.

I also PM some of the people here in the Playground with an overview of the sessions; talking to others about things has a tendency to give me new ideas.

Oh, and I've also got a crudely-drawn map of the campaign setting.

Pretty much everything else is improvised.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2009-11-16 at 11:58 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Depends. If I'm bored and it's a dungeon I have the rooms all written out, with their dimensions, on MS Word and rarely do I draw out a map (after doing ones with 4 dimensional geometry I stopped trying). I have all the monster stats on the word document and some minor notes for spellcaster strategies.
    If it's not a dungeon, and thus more free form, I usually have some notes as to general actions but mostly do it on the wing and rather ignore my notes (which can be disastrous when I forget when the bad guy's lieutenant comes in).
    Since college has started my notes, and adventures, got simpler and crazier with more ad hoc stuff.

Edit: Oh yeah I had a rude map of 1 campaign setting... which eventually became 6 maps, because the world was three overlapping worlds and I only covered a 4th of the continent for one world with each map.
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2009-11-16 at 12:05 PM.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

28. - Top - End - #28
    Barbarian in the Playground

Before each session I stat out significant NPC's with online character sheets and I have a few stock rogues and fighters for mooks and try to figure out what they'd do this session independent of the PC's. I draw up rough sketches of the places most likely to involve combat.

I'm very bad at remembering and making up names on the fly so I have file on every character and location that requires a name and a list of pre-made appropriate NPC's names for random people that might be asked their name. I'm also in the process of writing the back story so I can drop various fun names, incidents and tidbits on the setting.

I've already figured out the character concepts for the most significant NPC's that the PC have never even heard about but nothing is written down. I've also yet to stat them out, that's best kept for later. I draw maps of cities with the most important locations and the structure of government but most the details are in my head. The back story and flowcharts of government institutions aren't really necessary but I just really like building societies. I also used Google sketch to draw 3D models of a few impressive buildings and castles, also strictly for my pleasure.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Does anybody have ideas for helpful pages I could add to the DM's section of my character sheet set? Reading this thread has inspired me to add a couple of attempts at a timeline, and some isometric map grids.
    Out of paper on drive D:

Character Sheets for D&D 3.5 and Pathfinder | Download them both from Dyslexic Studeos

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

It really depends on the campaign. The Endless Dungeon, for example, is fairly throughly laid out, but thats a bit of a special case.

For in person games, I literally don't write down a thing any more. I used to do a quick sketch of the basic plot, but now I just rely on memory/improv, in conjunction with a sandbox style. Casters require a bit of thought in advance, but standard melee builds and such can be done on the fly.