New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default 3.5 Stacking Criticals

So going through some of his books, a player in my game decided he wants to be a mounted fighter with a lance. Going through the rules myself I found that:
    1) the lance gives you a x2 multiplier on damage when mounted,
    2) a lance has a x3 critical, and
    3) Spirited Charge gives you a x3 multiplier when mounted and charging.
    I don't necessarily have too much of a problem with this as there isn't as many random encounters as there are dungeons and street fights, I really just don't know how they stack, or if they stack at all. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: 3.5 Stacking Criticals

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrox View Post
    So going through some of his books, a player in my game decided he wants to be a mounted fighter with a lance. Going through the rules myself I found that:
    1) the lance gives you a x2 multiplier on damage when mounted,
    2) a lance has a x3 critical, and
    3) Spirited Charge gives you a x3 multiplier when mounted and charging.
    I don't necessarily have too much of a problem with this as there isn't as many random encounters as there are dungeons and street fights, I really just don't know how they stack, or if they stack at all. Any advice would be appreciated.
    As I read it, Spirited Charge+Lance overrides the Lance's multiplier, since it specifically says
    Benefit:
    When mounted and using the charge action, you deal double damage with a melee weapon (or triple damage with a lance).
    I take this to read "You deal Triple damage instead of the double damage you would normally deal".

The Spirited Charge+Crit definetally stacks though, so a critical with a sprited charge lance would deal x6 damage.

Of course, that depends whether the equation is
    Damagex3(Charge)+Damagex3 (Crit) or (Damagex3)x3.
    Last edited by BRC; 2009-11-16 at 04:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Default Re: 3.5 Stacking Criticals

Two doubling equal a tripling with D&D math, but they explicitly spell it out for you with lances & spirited charge.

A lance doubles your damage, and a spirited charge doubles your damage, for x3 damage total. If you critical on that charge, you do x5 damage.