A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3.5 Enervation

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default 3.5 Enervation

I have searched and have been unable to find the answer to this.

If I split ray an enervation, Can I target the same person with both and have them stack?
    The official number 1 hater of the book of nine swords

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: 3.5 Enervation

Yes.

Anything else?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Enervation does stack with itself. What you're describing should work fine.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

It's nasty, what can I say? One of the major reasons I like to give rays a range increment, so the to hit isn't as easy.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Legal, but remember the DMG has sharp corners.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

Also, what goes around, comes around.

Always.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Stacked enervation is so much tasty. I used to do this all the time. Then I hit a monster with a ray of weakness, and it got reflected back at me. So glad I wasn't using split ray with enervation or that would have gotten real ugly real fast.
    Nosce te ipsum

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Do keep in mind that many things (undead, constructs) do not react well with negative levels. And that a simple death ward spell (persisted or stuck into armor at higher levels) will defeat it. It works well - possibly too well (arcane thesis'd black-lore-of-moil split ray empowered twinned, for example) - when it works, but has a fair amount of things that defeat it.
    Proudly without a signature for 5 years. Wait... crap.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Being a 1 trick pony generally doesn't end well, doesn't really matter how common are counters for your trick, enemies will hear about your signature move and will find ways to counter it..
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Yah. But the beauty of being a wizard is that you can change your tricks every day! Empowered Split-Ray Enervation one day, Widened Solid Fog the next.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Fell Drain, the poor man's enervation, is also great. Tack it on a magic missile or the like, and it's excellent at spreading negative levels around to multiple targets.

Note that while it doesn't stack with itself on a single spell, using something like twin spell can make a single casting of a fell drained spell remove multiple levels per target.

Sadly, unless you get crazy with snowcasting and flash frost, you can't fell drain an enervation. You can maximize and empower it, though.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Fell Drain, the poor man's enervation, is also great. Tack it on a magic missile or the like, and it's excellent at spreading negative levels around to multiple targets.

Note that while it doesn't stack with itself on a single spell, using something like twin spell can make a single casting of a fell drained spell remove multiple levels per target.

Sadly, unless you get crazy with snowcasting and flash frost, you can't fell drain an enervation. You can maximize and empower it, though.
    Actually, Enervation deals 5 points of damage normally. No need for snowcasting.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    Actually, Enervation deals 5 points of damage normally. No need for snowcasting.
    Not precisely. the -5hp from taking a negative level isn't classified as damage. it's classified as a penalty, meaning it comes back when/if the neg level wears off.

From the SRD
    A creature takes the following penalties for each negative level it has gained:

-1 on all skill checks and ability checks.
    -1 on attack rolls and saving throws.
    -5 hit points.
    -1 effective level (whenever the creature’s level is used in a die roll or calculation, reduce it by one for each negative level).
    If the victim casts spells, she loses access to one spell as if she had cast her highest-level, currently available spell. (If she has more than one spell at her highest level, she chooses which she loses.) In addition, when she next prepares spells or regains spell slots, she gets one less spell slot at her highest spell level.
    emphasis mine.
    Last edited by mabriss lethe; 2009-11-17 at 06:37 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Where can one find this Fell drain?
    Is it like a metamagic feat or something?
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2009-11-17 at 06:46 PM.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gamerkid View Post
    Where can one find this Fell drain?
    Is it like a metamagic feat or something?
    It's Metamagic from Libris Mortis:The Book of Bad Latin. +2 spell level, deals 1 neg level to any foe damaged by the spell.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingbear View Post
    Also, what goes around, comes around.

Always.
    +1.

if you spread a lot of split/twined/metamagic'd up the wazoo Enervation around, expect the DM to send some your way sooner or later.

17. - Top - End - #17

So Death Ward would probably be in order then.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

If you have Death Ward, so too should your enemy.

In fact, Deathward is "that one spell" that my opponents always prepare and cast on themselves. It's an incredibly powerful spell and very good at what it does.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

It's fairly powerful, but any reasonably intelligent spellcaster enemy is going to have Death Ward prepared, so it's only useful against mooks and such, or against fighting-types that don't have Death Ward.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Kazrasa View Post
    It's fairly powerful, but any reasonably intelligent spellcaster enemy is going to have Death Ward prepared, so it's only useful against mooks and such, or against fighting-types that don't have Death Ward.
    Or just a good touch armor class.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Black Lore of Moil, which you should have if you're going crazy with Enervation anywho (for the -1 adjustment with Arcane Thesis). And after having gone crazy with it, the piddly 3d6 damage becomes a much more respectable 50-100 points, which should be enough to finish off the poor bastard you just drained 20 levels from.
    Last edited by lsfreak; 2009-11-17 at 08:37 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

If I wanted to twink out enervation, how would I do it?

23. - Top - End - #23

Sadly, death ward isn't a Wizard spell.

Ray deflection is, though.
    Play your character, not your alignment.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    If I wanted to twink out enervation, how would I do it?
    Incantrix 10, for -1 to all Metamagics and a bunch of free feats. Arcane Thesis for a further -1. Take Empower, Maximize, Quicken, Twin Spell, Black Lord of Moil, Fell Drain, and every +0 metamagic you can track down. Use the +0s to offset the cost of the +3 and higher metamagics.

It's also a good idea to snag Arcane Thesis for another spell, just for the variety. Orb of Fire is a good idea(either take Searing Spell or Energy Sub:Frost if you go this route).
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Human Wizard5/Incantatrix10
    Split Ray
    Empower Spell
    Black Lore of Moil
    Twin Spell
    Quicken Spell
    Arcane Thesis (Enervation)

That's the bare-bones of it. Throw in additional metamagic reducers (Easy Metamagic: Quicken, Residual Metamagic) and additional metamagicks (Maximize, Repeat, Fell Drain) to taste. Just with the base you get effectively 12d4 negative levels a round using a 5th level and a 7th level slot.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Saying you should take Incantatrix is like saying you shoud take Planar Shepherd. It just doesn't happen due to DM fiat.

27. - Top - End - #27

Assuming Incantatrix is banned, and I can't add 0 level metamagics to reduce the cost for something like highten spell or whatever, whats the best you could do?

Why is Black Lore of Moil good? For a gp expenditure I can add 2D6 damage to Enervation. Is there something there I'm missing?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Assuming Incantatrix is banned, and I can't add 0 level metamagics to reduce the cost for something like highten spell or whatever, whats the best you could do?

Why is Black Lore of Moil good? For a gp expenditure I can add 2D6 damage to Enervation. Is there something there I'm missing?
    The negative adjustment.

Keep in mind that Arcane Thesis was errata'd and specifically still allows negative adjustments, so it is clearly RAW and RAI. Though houseruling otherwise is common.

Also, the most broken part of Incantatrix isn't the metamagic reducers but the other stuff (persisting multiple spells with near-zero effort being one of them). The 3.0e version is allowed much more often than the 3.5 version.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

That damage is boosted by all of your feats, and allows you to boost the spell with Fell Drain(which with Incant and AT becomes +0). Assuming Twin, Split, Maximize, and Empower, you turn that into 3(24+6d6). Average, additional 135 damage on your Enervation, and -1 to the spell level, at the cost of 75 GP. That's not bad at all.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post
    Sadly, death ward isn't a Wizard spell.

Ray deflection is, though.
    It's so useful though, that assuming I play with the Wish Alternate rules that make some wishes free, I'll gladly prepare a Limited Wish just for the chance of casting death ward. It's one of my favourite spell.