New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default 4e November Update: Serious Rebalancing

No thread on this yet? Weird.

I checked up on the changes to the Monk, beyond taking away their enchantable fists and giving them Ki Focus, and I noticed several changes to its powers and several weapons:

1. There aren't any Weapon keyword powers in the preview material for the Monk. All of the powers previously previewed that were weapon powers are now implement powers.

2. Serious changes to Double weapons, at the least. All double weapons now list their secondary ends below the main head, and some have keyword and/or damage changes:

Stout: Added to all of the Double Weapons except the Double Sword. Lets you treat the weapon as a two-handed weapon rather than just a double weapon.

Double Scimitar: Gone. Dead. No more. Oops. I made this post looking at a character that had Eberron banned. Double Scimitar looks about the same, but with Stout. Still +2 1d6/1d6 off-hand defensive high-crit heavy blade.
    Double Sword: Nerfed. No longer a Heavy Blade, and got demoted a die size. No longer strictly better than Rapier + Parry Dagger.
    Double Axe: In return for Stout and not losing its damage dice, it no longer has the Defensive keyword.
    Urgrosh: Spear head took a beating, in return for the Stout property and retaining the Defensive property. Lighter and 20 gp cheaper than the original version.

Personally, I like the Double Sword update, and I'm neutral about the other double weapons... Double Axe also makes a little more sense now, though. Not sure yet how I feel about the Monk changes, especially since there's no way for a Monk to qualify for two-weapon features using only his unarmed strikes now.
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2009-11-17 at 03:11 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: 4e November Update: Serious Rebalancing

Where the hell are Double Weapons again? AV1?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Face Of Evil View Post
    Where the hell are Double Weapons again? AV1?
    AV1, with the exception of Double Scimitar, which is in the Eberron Player's Guide... which I skipped by mistake when writing the OP thanks to which character I used while writing the post.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

I never really cared for double weapons...I prefered to wield a weapon in either hand...or a spiked chain as a double weapon. I think they should have left the double weapons behind in 3.5e, or better yet never invented them in 3.0e.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I never really cared for double weapons...I prefered to wield a weapon in either hand...or a spiked chain as a double weapon. I think they should have left the double weapons behind in 3.5e, or better yet never invented them in 3.0e.
    The problem with that is that The Phantom Menace was a new-ish movie when 3.0 came out. Guess who was the new "must-emulate" character?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

I realize that this is all just a ploy to bring in the younger players to re-vitalize DnD, but maaaaaan...sometimes the commercialization (is that even a word?) of DnD makes me vomit.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Lots of changes here, most of them good.

Hero of Faith now only applies to one hit, not the whole encounter.

Armor of Faith now applies for cloth armor only, not leather or hide.

Ritual Ring can't be used for item creation.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Oh come on, is that all you guys have to say?

I mean, on the Wizard's boards, they're rejoicing and singing Hallelujah! to the changes in this update. Much balancing has been made, and I'm damrned glad for the people at WoTC. They've shown that they're capable of listening to the advice of people who actually play the game and making balance changes, the way it should be done!

A few changes, to those who are curious:

- Bloodclaw + Reckless have been nerfed to encounter powers
    - Spitting-Cobra Stance, Agile Opportunist have been nerfed to Immediate Reactions (woohoo, no more abusing forced movement!)
    - Storm Pillar activates on an enemy's turn only, to prevent forced movement shenanigans.
    - Quicksilver Stance has been nerfed to Standard action instead of move action, so no double attacks on a turn (but there's a weird typo-like thing with the power where you move your full speed in heavy armor but only half-speed in light armor).
    - Eldritch Strike can now be selected instead of Eldritch Blast, without having the jump through hoops to do so.
    - Avenger's Armor of Faith is now limited to Cloth only. Say bye bye to highest AC in the game, you striker you! Leave that to the defenders!
    - Hero of the Faith has been heavily nerfed, it only lasts until you hit (once) or until the enemy drops to 0 hit points.
    - Storm of Blades and Hurricane of Blades reduced to a reasonable level (3 attacks max for Storm, 4 for Hurricane with increased damage dice).

My current homebrews

The gods play with dice and parchment!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pramxnim View Post
    - Eldritch Strike can now be selected instead of Eldritch Blast, without having the jump through hoops to do so.
    'Bout dern time!

See, the only changes I noticed right away were the Double Weapon and some of the Monk changes, since I saw that the preview material for the Monk was updated, and noticed that the double weapons looked different when I was fiddling around with a Monk build.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Wait, where's Eldritch Strike?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Face Of Evil View Post
    Wait, where's Eldritch Strike?
    It's an at-will power packaged with the first series of Arcane hero minis. It's basically trading Eldritch Blast for Melee Training (Charisma/Constitution). Formerly, the Character Builder wouldn't allow Warlocks to choose between the two powers, but now they can, freeing up a feat for HexHammer builds.
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2009-11-17 at 04:06 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

On the small off-chance that somebody out there hadn't noticed yet, they've released new errata that has the changes in it as well. One of the changes (out of those not yet mentioned in the thread) that jumps out at me is that Orb of Ultimate Imposition has been nerfed hard.
    Last edited by Artanis; 2009-11-17 at 04:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    One of the changes (out of those not yet mentioned in the thread) that jumps out at me is that Orb of Ultimate Imposition has been nerfed hard.
    And the solos rejoice. Except for the low-level ones, since the +1 orb actually got boosted, and the +2 orb stays the same.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

FINALLY. Especially the double-weapon thing and Eldritch Strike.

But, what exactly is this 'stout' thing? What's this about the primary/secondary ends being listed different? Does that have a ruling effect? Can you post a link to all of this?

Does anyone think this will appear in print in PHB3 (like the revised Stealth rules in PHB2)

Not to feed any fuel to the "4.0" people, but are we now in "4.2"?
    Last edited by Asbestos; 2009-11-17 at 04:14 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Asbestos View Post
    But, what exactly is this 'stout' thing? What's this about the primary/secondary ends being listed different? Does that have a ruling effect? Can you post a link to all of this?
    Stout is a new property that states you can use the weapon as a two-handed weapon instead of only two one-handed weapons. The ends being listed semi-separately (they're in the same slot, but on different rows) helps with figuring out how the Urgrosh and any other theoretical "Half & Half" weapons work.
    Does anyone think this will appear in print in PHB3 (like the revised Stealth rules in PHB2)
    I think the revised Double Weapon rules will appear in PHB3, and possibly Martial Power 2, depending on how many two-weapon classes will be available in those. Definitely in AV3.
    Not to feed any fuel to the "4.0" people, but are we now in "4.2"?
    It could be considered "4.1.8" or so, with 4.0.0 being hot-off-the-press PHB1, and 4.1.0 being PHB2 + MM2 + all 2008 products. "4.2.0" would be PHB/MM3, etc. and include all previous updates. X Power, Official Campaign Setting, and Magazine material would be add-ons that the producer puts in the "gold edition." All the updates and add-ons could also be considered "expansion packs."
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2009-11-17 at 04:24 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Why don't they want Monks to have enchantable fists? It's not like there are any disarming or sundering rules.
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

17. - Top - End - #17

The full update notes (except for the monk stuff, which isn't actually errata) can be found here.

I am rather amused by some of the explanations given:

... This change prevents a character from using the stop action to accelerate.

... This change prevents the property from being recursive.

... This change prevents an invoker from putting a Warlock’s Curse on a creature.

... This change makes the power usable.

... This prevents brutal weapons from being augmented to deal infinite damage.
    Hee hee.
    Diamond Mind avatar provided by Abardam.

18. - Top - End - #18

BlueKnightGuy

Also, does this effect the feats from Dragon that allow Staffs and Spiked Chains to be Double-Weapons?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Also, does this effect the feats from Dragon that allow Staffs and Spiked Chains to be Double-Weapons?
    Judging from the Character builder, not yet.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I am both impressed and worried by the pacing of Errata.

On one hand, they're finally fixing things that have been broken for ages. On the other hand, you practically need to use DDI to keep up with the changes.

I hope they make some sort of paper compendium - or at least reprint the PHB I with the rules corrections.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

21. - Top - End - #21

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    I am both impressed and worried by the pacing of Errata.

On one hand, they're finally fixing things that have been broken for ages. On the other hand, you practically need to use DDI to keep up with the changes.

I hope they make some sort of paper compendium - or at least reprint the PHB I with the rules corrections.
    I think they'll put them into the back pages of the PHB3, like they did with the updated Stealth rules in the PHB2.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Double swords date back to 1st edition.
    Alot is not a word. It's a lot, two words.
    Always use the proper tool. If the proper tool isn't available, try a hammer.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

I think they'll put them into the back pages of the PHB3, like they did with the updated Stealth rules in the PHB2.
    I mean, back pages are nice and all, but one of the nice things about PHB I was that it was the most logically laid-out rulebook I've ever read. I'd hate to have to actually buy all three PHBs to get access to the (literally) Core rules in paper form.

Maybe I should go old school and make a looseleaf binder
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

The errata on the website includes all updates, new and old, to (as far as I can tell) everything.

So just go, download, and print
    Last edited by Artanis; 2009-11-17 at 06:47 PM.
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

HalflingRangerGuy

EPG has beebn updated? was there any changes to the zulaat? the Talenta sarrash? Did they gain reach or lose the polearm type?
    My mother says: those on fire should roll.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't see anything about the sarrash. The zulaat has both ends being 2d4 heavy blades, with the main end being defensive+stout and the secondary end being off-hand.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27

BlueKnightGuy

I'm trying to figure out the (if any) mechanical significance of 'Stout'. The only thing I can think of is a non-TWF barb that wants to take the occasional TWF-barb power.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

I realize that this is all just a ploy to bring in the younger players to re-vitalize DnD, but maaaaaan...sometimes the commercialization (is that even a word?) of DnD makes me vomit.
    *LOL*

Yeah, I mean, 1st edition would never pander to the player's perceptions of what was popular around the time with younger players.

Hey, did you guys hear....David Carradine dies this year. Might not have heard of him other than Kill Bill, but he played some character back in the 70s...Kind of popular back then, not really sure what it was about though....

Used to be tied together with Sunday/Saturday afternoon bad dubbing movies..pretty unpopular I would imagine.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, writing this as I read...

(1) This is long, long overdue. I'm glad WOTC finally got their act together.

(2) This is overall rather sloppy. I notice several spots where the errata needs errata, such as Arcane Initiate, Mnemonic Staff, Quicksilver Stance, and Unicorn's Touch.

(3) Several loopholes (that I expect most DMs wouldn't allow anyway due to dubious interpretations) have been removed, such as Vengeful Weapon, Rod of Reaving, Mnemonic Staff, Swordmages wielding 2H weapons, and Dual Weapons in general. This is a good thing.

(4) Most importantly, many of the ubercombos, and the items or powers that everybody wanted regardless of class, are gone. Several of them have been nerfed into oblivion and are mostly useless now, others have a sensible power level. This includes Bloodclaw & Reckless, Cloak of Distortion, Quicksilver and Spitting Cobra, Hero of Faith, and the Riding Lizard.

(5) Some things haven't changed. Bloodiron is still uber, and Bolstering Blood is now even more explicit that it works on every square of Blood Pulse. I've seen lots of nerfs to saving throw penalties, but I believe there's still enough of them to make a viable stunlock wizard. I'll have to check that, though.

(6) Some things that really weren't overpowered have now been nerfed into oblivion. This includes Blastpatch and Storm Pillars.

(7) Some things that didn't work as printed, now do. In particular, Eldritch Strike.

Oh yeah, and Needlefang Drakes have a much-needed nerf. Overall, this is a much-needed fix, and addresses 90% of all the little things that people have been shouting about for months.

Does it strike anyone as odd that there's fifty-eight pages of errata now? Time for 4.5, perhaps?
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Here's my question.

Why the hell did WOTC never do this for 3.x? I mean, there are a LOT of stuff we could've used errata on back then.

They've basically gone through everything up to Divine Power it seems. I

nteresting that they increased the effectiveness of some features - e.g.
    Swordmage - Features that incorporate aegis of assault and shielding now work for potentially all new Aegis, as well, going unconscious isn't as big a kick in the nads as before.

re: Is this 4.5?

Not entirely sure I would either agree or disagree. The *old* change to how Stealth works is a significant update on the core rules (I would lump the swordmage change, the warding effect, as a significant update) but changing how a specifc item or power works? eh...not really.

Especially if it is one that simply says "Ad the word Force to this line" That's just pure editing errata and not something I consider a major change to the system.
    Last edited by AllisterH; 2009-11-17 at 08:37 PM.