Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 333
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Nov 2009

    Default The Plague of the Marked [Group 1]

    DM

    The sun is shining down on mudbaked streets, little kids can be heard screeching in the distance with mothers berating them as they go. A little kid runs past with a cart wheel being whacked with a stick and off down a side alley. You can see dogs as you walk about town, burrowing through a bit of refuse here, chasing a small rodent there and generally barking and being quite happy. There are market stalls on the side of the road and pedallars trying to sell their food.

    "Pork pies, a silver a piece!"

    "Have your fortune told dearies, no pressure, and if your not happy you don't pay."

    "Apples! Get your finest fresh apples, only three gold each!"

    To all appearences it's a fine town, untill you look to the wall. Stood atop it ranging across at fixed distances are well built men. Each have a bow nocked and ready to pull up and fire at a moments notice. Alongside these each have a longsword in a scabbard at their side and a shield on their back.

    Then drawing away from the men, there are pit marks in the walls. This town has been attacked before, arrows stick into the walls at obscure angels and scorch marks adorn it.

    Suddenly a fanfare rings out from a bugel atop the wall and the gates swing slowly inwards.

    You hear a call from the top of the walls and go back to doing whatever it was you were doing.

    "The foraging party has returned, attend your stations men, watch out for the plague-wridden."

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PirateCaptain

    Join Date
    Sep 2009

    Default Re: The Plague of the Marked [Group 1]

    Gias

    Gias was enjoying his afternoon off lazing about in the company of a young madien. They had found a little alcove in the wall on the south side of town and were sitting in the shade. This was the third time this week Gias had come a-courting on this particular young lass, but he seemed to be once again unable to sway her with his charms. Usually his wind-swept brown hair and his muscular frame was enough to woo most of the girls in town, however this particular specimen had proven a tough nut to crack.

    Gais was once again discussing horses with her when the horns rang out, not because he found them particularly interesting, but because she thought them the most wonderful creatures in existence. Relived at the interruption Gias stood up and stretched, making sure to rise his arms over his head to reveal his chiseled abs. "I had better go and see whatís going on, I may be needed for support. After the short message and without waiting for a response Gias takes off in the general direction of the gate, with a smile on his face and a bit of a skip in his step.

    As he passes through the section of town with the markets the old vegetable vendor called out to him. "Still on the Horse girl Gias, Thatís a whole week I think youíre losing your touch",
    "Patience is a virtue, Riley. Not to mention with her love for horses, I'm the obvious choice of a male companion, some would call it destiny." Gias calls back. Anticipating the Grocers reaction, Gias turned just in time to catch the tomato flug at the back of his head. Which he abruptly grabbed out of the air and took a bite out of. Almost got me that time Riley" He says through a laugh, his smile never leaving his face.
    Last edited by Flying Dutchman; 2009-11-17 at 08:41 PM.
    Let them hate, So long as they fear.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England

    Default Re: The Plague of the Marked [Group 1]

    Mamellek

    Where Gias had been bragging, Mamellek had actually been. Her recruitment into the Fyrd (replacing her father's brother in it) had removed her from her father's smithy... but not from blacksmithing in general. Which is why, when the call went out, she was busy replacing worn horseshoes.

    Not even a sigh greeted the interruption of her duties... because honestly, she disliked shoeing horses. It was a vital part of the blacksmith's trade (if they wanted to eat, at any rate), but not one to stir the heart of someone who knew they could make the metal dance...

    Instead, she got to make horseshoes.

    It wasn't all bad, though. Her rotation of Fyrd duty had given her a chance to create arms and armor of her own - not, for her, the crude leather of a normal soldier, nor the hierloom chain horded by the nobility. No, she had delved into the books in the local monastery, looking for the records of those who had dominated these lands before... looking for the tales of the Romans. And in those accounts, she'd heard mention of true armor... proper armor...

    The historical accounts told her little more than the romans had used plates of metal about their torso to protect against the foe. But that was all she'd needed: She'd had weeks of her own time to work on the specifics of the design. Likewise, the sword was of her own design, although the inspiration for the massive blade had less to do with ancient Rome, and more to do with rumours from out of the gaelic nations to the north. This made her hugely atypically equipped for someone in the Fyrd, but she did not mind. No-one expected her to stand in the shield wall anyway. Too many of the men in the Fyrd refused to stand beside her, and that was that. So she had no real need to maintain consistancy of equipment with her 'colleagues'.

    She did have to admit, however, that their leathers and occasional chain were a lot easier to get on than her breastplate. As a consequence of which, she was a minute or two late when she arrived, armoured and armed, at the gate.
    Last edited by whoiam; 2009-11-18 at 03:51 AM.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location

    Default Re: The Plague of the Marked [Group 1]

    Chronac

    Yep, he definitely is not in the England of 2010 anymore. Well he had pretty much guessed this a few weeks back before finding himself upon this collection of strangers but now he is certain of it.

    Damn it, he knew he shouldn't have bothered to trust that ghost for a second time!

    "It's my way of aplogizing" he said. "It's perfectly safe" he said. What a bunch of crock.


    Johnathan had always prided himself on being able to sense the motive of others and thus, the failure to do so this time around disappointed him greatly.

    Oh well, nothing can be done about it right now. Unless It can...no still too dangerous. It is what caused you to shoot back into time by over a millenia judging by the language and culture of those around here. Who knows what other perilous perdicament It might put you through.

    As Johnathon's thoughts calmed down a bit more, his mind drifted once again into sleep.

    (Flashback dream)

    "Hullo there, how is It treating you?"

    "Alright I suppose though not being able to test Its abilties properly is quite frustrating."

    "Oh yes, well that is one of Its downsides I suppose."

    "One of Its downsides? You mean there are more?"

    "Don't get all flustered. I don't know if there's more or not, I am just as much in the dark as you are about all of this you know?" the ghost retored hurtfully.

    "Sorry, I didn't mean to snap at you. Is there something you need?"

    "Can't a friend visit another friend just to say hi."

    "A friend may but I don't quite recall you as being one."

    "Look I said I was sorry and I did what I could to ease the pain."

    Sigh. "I know, it's just that...nevermind. You did try and I am very intrigued by it all so thank you for checking up on me."

    "You are quite welcome. Now then I was wondering if you would mind terribly helping out another friend?"

    "I knew it! No, absolutely not! In fact, good day to you sir!"

    "You can save the child you know?" shouted Gwendon after him.

    "I don't give a flying crap about your heir!" yelled back Johnathan as he stomped through the woods.

    "Maybe, but what about saving her? Do you care not for her as well?"

    The last sentence stopped Johnathan dead in his tracks.

    Her smile that would light up the room. Those twinkling brown eyes of carefree mischief. And her touch, gentle, reassuring with promises of untold joy. Yes for her, he might. No, for her he will.

    (Flashback ends for now)

    Awakened suddenly by the horn, Johnathan stretched his mouth obscenely to yawn. Having spent a good while amongst the group of strangers, Johnathan had become acquainted enough to be able to fall asleep every few hours again though still not comfortable enough to give out his true identity in case it be the cause of unwanted paradox.

    However, the horn usually meant something interesting was about to happen.

    Slinging his composit bow across his back Johnathan headed towards the gate.

    Running low on arrows, might go and visit that horseshoe girl to see if she could fix me up another quiver full, he thought as he reached into his back pocket to check on It.

    Yep still there. Though not sure why I bother considering it always seems to be there when I have need of it even though I remember misplacing it most of the time, thought Johnathan as he slipped back the object that resembled the after effects of a train running over a gold coin.
    Last edited by Archangelat; 2009-11-18 at 12:05 AM.
    Altab 1st Party
    OOC / IC / Map

    Altab 2nd Party
    OOC / IC / Map

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    good_lookin_gus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Caught in a Mosh!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Plague of the Marked [Group 1]

    Wolf

    Hushed whispers begin to circulate as the foraging party crosses the threshold of the gate. They file in, numbering only five, with the rest lying motionless on the tarpaulin used for large game. Once they are inside the walls, the first four collapse to their knees in sobbing fits. The fifth simply releases the tarp he had been dragging and steps aside for the medics. He is a grim, statuesque figure wielding a sinister looking scythe. If any, among the observers, had their humor intact; they might have judged the image strangely fitting. Instead they just turned away if, they could. The guards could only stare, trembling in silence. More than one even pondered taking aim, just in case.

    Eventually the figure, identified by the crowd as "Wolf", is approached by a small, fidgety man in a uniform indicating some rank. The officer looks up at the barbarian, and this small hesitation robs him of his chance to speak.

    "Plague-ones strike," Wolf blurts out. "Most ones ever...Getting smart...Organized."

    He gazes over his shoulder to regard the fallen, now neatly arranged for identification. "Not good...Many die."

    Even with the dead included, their number falls short of the twenty that left that morning. The next obvious question was what had happened to them. The officer is again interrupted before he can ask. "Some flee...Abandon...They-"

    Wolf takes inventory of the faces heeding his story, settling on the newest recruits, the ones that had secretly considered fixing their bows on him. They are wide eyed in anticipation. His eyes narrow and, with a snarl, he storms off.

    He makes his way to the barracks' mess hall and helps himself to one of the last pots of venison stew. While he is eating another officer comes up to him.

    "Borris, I-"

    "Wolf"

    "...Wolf, [sigh] I've come to collect a report from you."

    "Already said it...Just now."

    "What happened to the others?"

    "...I already said: they ran away."

    "Were they pursued?"

    "No, us that remain fought all the plague-ones"

    "So they could still be alive?"

    "I hope not."

    "...Need I remind you that we are speaking about members of our own Fyrd?"

    Wolf glances up at the officer with an incredulous look, "Still?", he mumbles. He looks back down at his emptied pot. "Then...Fyrd...means...nothing."

    "...You are on very thin ice! I hope you know better than to speak so freely with the other officers!"

    Once the officer leaves, Wolf finds a loaf of bread to scavenge the inside of the pot.
    Last edited by good_lookin_gus; 2009-11-18 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Format and Clarity

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2009

    Default Re: The Plague of the Marked [Group 1]

    Bear

    Bear was walking the parapets, each of the bowman stationed there held their breath as he passed, when the horns and bells blasted.

    "So much for me day orf" he mumbled and turned towards the gate to see what was left of the foraging party stumble, crawl and be dragged back through the gates. The sight of these poor souls and the knowledge that more Umthians had fallen out there today sent Bear livvid. The questions he asked everytime this happened rose in his mind.

    What are the commanders doing? Where were the scouts? What was the plan? Were they prepared for the enemy or sent out without knowledge of what they would face? We've been fighting this enemy since before I was born and we still don't seem to know anything! Who knows the most about these plagued? I must find them and know what they know!

    Usually silent in the meetings with the Fyrd commanders, waiting for his orders from his apparent superiors, next time would be different. He shall have answers if he has to go and collect them from every settlement out there.

    When he looked up next he realised he was outside the Hall where the Fyrd met, his feet had taken him there without his realising.

    Time for some answers! With his resolve set he enters.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Plague of the Marked [Group 1]

    Eleanor

    As she hears the horns, Eleanor is in the middle of her training regime. Strike, strike, sommersault, dodge, the one-person dance was interrupted by the horns.

    She lives in a house composed of two rooms, one completely empty save for hay in the floor for her personal training and the other one serves as a study. Outside, Darren was eating what hay was left for it.

    After breaking her training, she quickly makes way for the gates; many a times people have been wounded and as a capable healer, her presence is more than welcome there. Though people don't know that she actually uses magic to heal her patients (she keeps her gift a secret), they do know that those she bandages tend to practically always survive and get better very, very fast.

    She doesn't mind the role; it gives her new things to study and analyze every day. She already knows more of the plague and the plagued ones than just about anyone in this fyrd, not least of which thanks to being able to study those she heals.


    As she approaches the gate, she sees that today was harsh. <Few have returned>, she thinks as she makes her way to tarpaulins going through the fallen to see who are still alive. She breaks out a medikit and gets to the grizzly work, using just appropriate doses of magic in lieu of her healing to make sure those she treats will survive without anything too blatant.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2009-11-18 at 12:05 AM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location

    Default Re: The Plague of the Marked [Group 1]

    Chronac

    Standing a bit off to the side, Johnathan watched over the macabre procession.

    Only about a quarter survived the brief expedition out this time around.

    The drawn out conversation between one of the returning men and the other authority figure of some kind started to bore him into a yawn. He was just considering the possibility of another nap before sneaking out to hunt some paltry game when she appeared again.

    She has been around in the lime light more often as of late though sadly this only meant that matters were getting worse. Though not the most beautiful female he has ever come across, no one can compare to Her, the local female physician did intrigue him.

    It was not her features or even her mannerisms. Rather, it was how she treated her patients. He had not looked too closely before but this time around, he was sure of it. No modern medicine could heal wounds that quick let alone without any side effects. Minor scratches and tears of the flesh seemed to disappear almost instantaneously before his eyes.

    There had to be more to her treating art then she would have others believe,
    thought Johnathan.

    Then again, this plague that everyone is talking about seems a bit odd as well. This is too early for the bubonic plague to have hit Europe but maybe this plague is really the zymogen to the Black Death?

    In fact, this plague might be the primitive form of the genetic affliction that Gwendon's heir suffered from that resulted in Her suicide. This must be why he is here now!


    The revelation shock Johnathan to his core.

    What can he do to uncover the cause of this plague? How can he be certain that this is the root of Gwendon's curse? Assuming it is, how was he suppose to find a cure? And how the hell was he suppose to get back once he does manage to find the answers to all of the aforementioned questions?


    Overwhelmed, Johnathan decided that a long nap might help clear his mind and focus his ideas.
    Last edited by Archangelat; 2009-11-18 at 12:30 AM.
    Altab 1st Party
    OOC / IC / Map

    Altab 2nd Party
    OOC / IC / Map

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2009

    Default Re: The Plague of the Marked [Group 1]

    Bear

    Empty? The torrent of questions that had been swirling in his mind were displaced at the sight of the barren hall, normally there were at least a few hangarounds here. Old men who were no longer able to stand the rigors of duty usually sat exchanging tall tales of deeds done and imagined.
    They must have all headed to the gates

    Determined to make the most out of this trip Bear proceeded through to the mess to see if anyone could be found there.

    "You! You were with the foraging group today! I saw you dragging people back. Tell me everything that happened, no matter how small a detail - leave nothing out. Where were you attacked? Which direction did they come from? Who did they attack first? Was it those with food? Were they attracted to a smell? Bright colours? How did you survive? What did th..." Bear stopped short - his brain had reminded him who he was talking to. His anger had temporarily replaced his fear of the intimidating figure seated before him who was cleaning his bowl with a piece of bread.

    "If you would be so kind to answer my questions that is." He trailed off weakly.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England

    Default Re: The Plague of the Marked [Group 1]

    Mamellek

    Grumpily, Mamellek stood a little to one side, watching Eleanor at work. Mamellek was a good healer - and knew full well that she was - yet she could never have matched the speed with which the cleric stabilised the wounded.

    Just one more aspect of her life that irked her - strong and skilled as she was, the Fyrd didn't trust her. Skilled and dedicated as she was, Eleanor outshone her. Even as a blacksmith she wasn't the best around, and that just annoyed her all the more.

    When people spend your entire childhood telling you you're worthless, you either believe them, or grow up determined to prove them wrong. Mamellek was in the second group... and having found herself, essentially, stuck in a dead-end job where she's neither needed nor particularly wanted, was chafing at her position.

    Sigh.

    As quietly and unremarked as she'd arrived, Mamellek turned to head back. At least she was still the Fyrd's champion when it came to shoeing horses. And she was pretty certain she was the prettiest person in the town's service, although that wasn't saying much unless she wanted to settle down and marry.

    Like Bear before her (although with much less purpose about her movement) Mamellek also heads for the Fyrd hall. According to her 'tutor' (the monk who had taught her to read) this building had once belonged to the church - back before the plague. When the populace had been bottled up in the towns, such places had been appropriated for more 'vital' works. Her tutor had been heavily disapproving, saying what could be more vital than the word of God?

    Mamellek had kept her peace then, but... well, she knew that sleeping rough was hardly a pleasant life. The townspeople and their refugees had needed the buildings, and that was more important than stoking the ego of two generations of monks and the local bishop, surely? God would not want people to suffer that his self-appointed priesthood could live in idle luxury.

    What eventually snapped her out of her reverie was Bear shouting at Wolf. She didn't interrupt - Fyrd members got into arguments all the time, especially when they took casualties or got into the ale - but did approach them. Wolf was, after all, where the food was...

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Nov 2009

    Default Re: The Plague of the Marked [Group 1]

    DM

    From atop the walls the guards have returned to the their outward facing positions, and one of them has hoisted a blue flag. The flag represents to those in the compound and out lying areas, there is some new food in the compound and that they are allowed it first, before those newer arrivals from other places in the country.

    Nothing exceptional seems to happen at the rising of the flag, most people seem to be carrying on about their business as usual, as though they have seen it many times before and know exactly what will happen. It will all be distributed fairly, and the vendors will then charge a small amount for the food. It wasn't perfect but it was some semblance of an economy.

    Eleanor :

    Treating the patients on the tarpaulins doesn't take long. Most of them are ready for burial anyway. You do however notice that two of the people are alive and shallowly breathing, they have rudimentary bandages upon them and this seems to have stemmed the bleeding enough for them to get back here alive. Putting a cure light into one of them brings them around enough for them to say "Thank you" before they slip back into a deep restful sleep.

    Coming to the second body, you notice a small red dot just behind his left ear. Thinking it may simply be an animal bite you put another healing spell into the person, and as he awakes he looks maddened and enraged, or so you think for a split second. Before falling back into a deep restful slumber.

    Mamellek :

    Strolling up towards the mess hall, the old crone who tells fortunes by the side of the road grabs you and forces a card into your hand's before turning and scuttling away.

    Bear :

    Nothing to tack on i'm afraid.

    Chronac :

    As he glances again and again at the woman who is mending the bodies, he thinks he see's a flash of blue-white light, but can't be sure. No one else has seen it so perhaps it was simply a flash of the light.

    However he sense's he has been staring for too long, and this is realised when as he turns the fruit and vegetable vendor catches his eye and says

    "I'd wish you luck sir, but you wont need it. You will need a whole lot more than just luck, after all your not from around these parts, anyone with half a mind can tell."

    Wolf :

    The food is very tasty, in fact the best you have had in about three months now.

    Everyone seems to be staring at you in a slight variation of fear, except for those "battle hardened" ones whom stare at everyone with a mixture of abject pity and condescension.

    Gias

    Walking through town you notice nothing out of the ordinary. As your strolling past an ale house drinking in the sights a brawl suddenly erupts out of the door in front of you, two men roll out onto the ground punching and kicking at each other, followed by a crowd cheering, heckling and placing bets.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PirateCaptain

    Join Date
    Sep 2009

    Default Re: The Plague of the Marked [Group 1]

    As Gias Approaches the tavern he hears the commotion inside. It's a bit early for a bar fight I'd think . Gias thinks as he looks up at the sun confirming his suspicions that It's mid-afternoon. Only problem with being on the guard, is you never get to have any fun.

    Knowing that as a guard it's his job to try and keep the peace, Gias decides he had better try and break up the fight, Just as they roll out on the street kicking and punching. Calmly walking forward he sighs, Then shouts "Common break it up, whatís the deal guys? it's the middle of the day"
    Last edited by Flying Dutchman; 2009-11-18 at 01:04 PM.
    Let them hate, So long as they fear.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location

    Default Re: The Plague of the Marked [Group 1]

    Chronac

    Johnathan was lost in his thoughts as he turned away from the events transpiring at the gates. However wether by fate or by chance, he had just arrived at a mental breakthrough when he was hailed by the produce vendor.

    Still as yet unsure of how to greet others in this time period, Johnathan gave his usual head nod of acknowledgement and was proceeding on towards the comfort of a tree knoll when the second part of the vendor's sentence caused him reason for pause.

    How do people during this time communicate with each other? Some form of Old English most likely. Damn, should have paid more attention in grade school about these things. Oh well, just going to have to wing it and hope your excuse is sufficient.

    "Greetings sir. Your sight is quite keen as thou art correct. Me home be far yonder from here as thou notith by me speech. Me never thought of meself be lucky but it seems thou knowth more of what is to head my way? Mayhaps such a generous fellow such as thee would careth to share thy bountiful knowledge with me?"
    Altab 1st Party
    OOC / IC / Map

    Altab 2nd Party
    OOC / IC / Map

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    good_lookin_gus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Caught in a Mosh!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Plague of the Marked [Group 1]

    Wolf

    Wolf is finishing up his meal when a small man with a rather disheveled appearance bursts into the hall and starts shouting inquiries at him. At first his only reaction is a passive, curious regard. Then he begins sniffing the air around him. He raises each arm, bringing his nose close to the pit. Then he stretches open the collar of his leather jerkin to get a whiff of the inside. Not satisfied, he examines the bottoms of his boots, and then checks his underarms again. For a brief instant he sits in contemplation. Then, suddenly, his eyes widen and he shoots a fierce glance at the small man in front of him. Wolf nearly leaps out of his seat, towering over the table as well as the person on the other side. "Come...With...Me," are the only words he says as he begins walking to the surgeons quarters.

    While he is walking out he crosses paths with another member of the Fyrd. "Ehh?," he lets out as he stops and turns for a second look. It would be hard to narrow down what it is that inspires the double take. The soldier is outfitted with armor made of solid metal, not seen anywhere in the camp before. Unlike any of the other front line fighters, this one is a woman, a very attractive woman. Also, despite being an especially comely member of the fairer sex, her size and stature nearly matched Wolf's. The sudden cessation of his heavy footsteps and his skeptical grunt were evidently hard to miss. She turns to meet his gaze. They stare at each other for a few seconds. An ambiance of tension and uncertainty affects every face in the room. "Nnnnnnneh...," he sighs. Whatever held his curiosity seemingly sated, Wolf continues on his way.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Nov 2009

    Default Re: The Plague of the Marked [Group 1]

    DM

    Chronac :

    The vendor stares at you incredulously

    "You simple or something mate? No one talks like that, I mean seriously, where do you come from?

    Or are you a bit simple? "


    HE asks the second question with a trace of sympathy in his eye and a look of understanding.

    Gias :

    "Stay out of this! It doesn't concern you."

    Says one man, then as the other delivers a bone breaking blow to the first's jaw he turns spits at your feet and a tooth lands next to your left foot as he responds

    "Yeah, but if your looking for trouble this scumbag will be sure to find some for you" He says indicating the man on the floor."

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PirateCaptain

    Join Date
    Sep 2009

    Default Re: The Plague of the Marked [Group 1]

    Gias

    Gias still standing over the two fighters, lets out a long sigh. Why do these things always happen to me?. Seriously Guys I'm part of the Fryd, the foraging part just got back and I need to go see whats going on. It IS however my concern sence I'm supposed to be keeping the peace, so how about you just call it a draw, I'll buy you both a round, and we can all leave happy?

    Spoiler
    Show

    Diplomacy = (1d20+4)[16]
    Last edited by Flying Dutchman; 2009-11-19 at 06:36 PM.
    Let them hate, So long as they fear.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England

    Default Re: The Plague of the Marked [Group 1]

    Mamellek

    Mamellek actually paused as the barbarian started examining her... Or her equipment at any rate, judging from where his eyes were pointing.

    One of the advantages of rigid armor. There's no cleavage on display for him to be staring at. I know I'm built to bear young and all, but the least they could do is wait until they've married me to start imagining me naked!

    She couldn't blame him for some interest. The sword and armor were her own creations, after all: both strange and new. And hers.

    "Tell your friends" she muttered.

    My Thegn only gets me for two months a year for free. Seeing as how I don't get to man - ha! - the walls, and I don't get to join the foraging parties, this means I'll likely be back in the smithy soon enough. I could do with some commission work...

    ...Although the average member of the Fyrd probably can't afford this stuff.



    Eventually it dawned on Mamellek that Wolf's contribution to this discussion was rather smaller than might have been expected. "My, what a lovely conversation we're having." was her response to that. If you could make buildings out of sarcasm, that one sentence would have built a fortress.

    But then the barbarian, apparently satisfied, moved on. And Mamellek just shrugged, turned back to the food, and started to serve herself.
    Last edited by whoiam; 2009-11-19 at 06:44 PM.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location

    Default Re: The Plague of the Marked [Group 1]

    Well that evidently did not work. Well at least he seems to understand you well enough.

    "My apologies. I merely meant to say that my native lands are not nearby and thus the reason for my elocution differences.

    What I had meant say was that it seems you seem to know a bit more about me than I would have thought. If this be true, could you enlighten me as to the reason for your particular insight regarding me and the reason why I am here?"
    Last edited by Archangelat; 2009-11-19 at 07:29 PM.
    Altab 1st Party
    OOC / IC / Map

    Altab 2nd Party
    OOC / IC / Map

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Nov 2009

    Default Re: The Plague of the Marked [Group 1]

    DM

    Gias :

    "Fine" the man spits on the floor takes one last kick at the other man and storms off in a huff taking one last look over his shoulder at the now comatose body on the floor.

    "You can keep your filthy beer to yourself, I intend on leaving tonight anyway"

    With the fight over the crowd starts dispersing, except for one shabby chap who looks up at you and asks

    "Reckon I could get that round friend?"

    Mamellek :

    People stare at you and your "equipment" as you walk by, one has the nerve to wolf whistle, but the glare you throw him quickly silences him.

    Reaching the food you go to pour yourself a bowl of stew, but have a sudden compunction not to eat anything at all. At the same time you feel a slight burning sensation in your left pocket.

    Spoiler
    Show

    1 non lethal damage

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England

    Default Re: The Plague of the Marked [Group 1]

    Mamellek
    Hm. I wonder where my appetite went?

    The warmth in her pocket was both unexpected and very irritating, but not quite up to the point of causing serious injury. Moving quickly (it was uncomfortable, after all) she laid her greatsword down on the table and reached into the pocket to see what was wrong.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PirateCaptain

    Join Date
    Sep 2009

    Default Re: The Plague of the Marked [Group 1]

    Gias raises an eyebrow at the man as he storms off. I'd think taking my chances with the local riff-raff would be better than spending a night outside the walls.Oh well least I can get going.

    Gias, helps the beaten man to his feet."there's a good chap have a couple on me.Gias says flipping him a gold coin "and you might wanna have a healer look at you, some of those bruises look pretty nasty.

    Gias sets off toward the guardhouse to find out whats going on. Now however with a little less spring in his step.
    Last edited by Flying Dutchman; 2009-11-19 at 08:10 PM.
    Let them hate, So long as they fear.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2009

    Default Re: The Plague of the Marked [Group 1]

    Bear

    The way I see it is I have three options. First, sit here looking stunned at the guy and let him walk off at the risk of enraging him further. Second, follow him and disappear into an alley somewhere. Or three, play along. He was wise enough to know that some people had to tell you things their own way, the important thing to do was let them. Unfortunately this meant he would have to talk to another Fyrd member longer than he liked to. The way things were going he saw the Fyrd as dead men, waiting for the day they to would be victims of the plagued.


    Bear ran this through his mind as he waited for the small "conversation" between Wolf and Mamellek to finish and followed the big man outside. On his way out he couldn't resist another quick glance at Mamellek, he considered her to be Useful. This was his highest term of praise.


    Maybe I can try to make this a little less awkward. he thought as they walked outside and the carts of the street vendors gave him an idea."Listen, I know you just ate and all but I wouldn't mind one of those pork pies from that cart there and it looks like it's on our way. If you're still hungry it's my treat." Bear offerred, taking a few quicker steps to catch up with the much taller figure striding in front of him.

    Edited for clarity.
    Last edited by Doctor Witch; 2009-11-20 at 04:19 AM.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    good_lookin_gus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Caught in a Mosh!
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: The Plague of the Marked [Group 1]

    Wolf

    Wolf stops in his tracks as he hears the offer. "Go; get...I-ah...eat already. You feed self. Mmmnh..."

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2009

    Default Re: The Plague of the Marked [Group 1]

    "It's funny, you don't see that many pigs around anymore but there's always pork pies." Bear said I hope the stall keeper didn't hear that He approached the stall. "Two porkies please"he said to the two the stallkeep and placed his 2 silver pieces on the counter. "You don't mind if I eat this here do you? I can't eat pies when I'm walking, end up wearing half of it." He blabbed buying time. After being handed his order he takes a nice big bite of his pie and tries to ignore the pain as the contents scald his mouth. Need time to think. I'll subtley try to see if he's going to murder me first.

    "So uh, were are we headed? Not somewhere where you're going to try to murder me is it?" He said between chews of piece of gristle from the pie. Smooth! He cursed his lack of tact, he knew there was a reason he didn't try it more often.
    Last edited by Doctor Witch; 2009-11-20 at 04:58 AM.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PirateCaptain

    Join Date
    Sep 2009

    Default Re: The Plague of the Marked [Group 1]

    Gias is sauntering along whistling softly to himself when he begins to notice a pungent odor on the air. By the time it gets to full force he's already decided who it belongs to Cripes I understand being a solider but good god man, how do you expect to pick up girls smelling like that?

    As Gias approches he sees Bear and Wolf standing by the porkpie vendor. Wolf looking stoic as usual and Bear looking like he waned to crawl into a hole and hide. "Good afternoon gentleman how are things? Have you heard anything from the foraging party, I was trying to get up here sooner but had to break up a scuffle at the taven."
    Last edited by Flying Dutchman; 2009-11-20 at 09:04 AM.
    Let them hate, So long as they fear.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2009

    Default Re: The Plague of the Marked [Group 1]

    Bear

    Bear heard someone approach from behind whistling a tune he did not recognise The whistling stopped with the customary half cough, half choking sound that marked someone encountering his "aura". He turned to see a man he was insanely jealous of. Another member of the Fyrd that Bear had seen at a few meetings, this man had all the confidence and charm that seemed to have passed Bear by.

    Chance has favoured me this time. Bear thought with relief if any one was the likeable sort and able to calm Wolf down, it was him. And that'll fix him for being so good looking! Said a small part of his mind that he tried to supress.

    "Hail Friend, I was just wondering about that very thing. I asked the big man here about it and I was hoping he'd share what happened with me. He says he has something to show me I'd be happy to listen to your opinions on these plagued if you would like to accompany us and get some answers yourself." Bear said, again hoping that what Wolf had wanted to show him was not the blade of his scythe.
    Last edited by Doctor Witch; 2009-11-20 at 10:24 AM.

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    PirateCaptain

    Join Date
    Sep 2009

    Default Re: The Plague of the Marked [Group 1]

    Gias, smile returned to his face responds "I'd be happy to come with you two. I'm curious about the plauged's movements, it's been quiet here for a while. I'm itching to get back outside in the field and any information you have would be appriciated."
    Last edited by Flying Dutchman; 2009-11-20 at 01:59 PM. Reason: grammer fail
    Let them hate, So long as they fear.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Nov 2009

    Default Re: The Plague of the Marked [Group 1]

    DM

    Chronac :

    "And now you talk like a posh-knob fancy type?

    Quite frankly sir I don't understand your kind and don't want to either."

    With this he sniffs the air scoffs turns and walks away from you.

    Mamellek :

    The only thing in your pocket is the card that the weird old fortune telling lady had put into your pocket, but turning it over and over it seems to be completely blank and isn't even warm to the touch anymore.

    Bear Wolf & Gias :

    "Well if you ask me, its not them plagued thats the problem, is them that think the plague is a good thing and that don't think thems evil whats the problem like sirs."

    Eleanor :

    Walking back after having fixed up those as best you could at the gate, you see a very very very strange site.

    Down an alley there is a man, sifting through rubbish. Odd as this is in itself, he is hunched over almost onto all fours, and is continuously scratching behind his left ear. He sounds almost like a feral animal.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England

    Default Re: The Plague of the Marked [Group 1]

    Mamellek
    ...odd. She shrugged, mainly to herself. How could one blank piece of card get that hot on its own...? But there were no answers on the card, and noone obvious around her to ask or to blame. So the card was returned to her pocket again...

    ...My appetite still isn't back. Might as well get some work done.

    She had a couple of choices there. First, there was a little notebook - well, a few dozen scraps of aquired paper, really, on which she'd put little doodles of weapons and armor that she wanted to make, but had never quite figured out how... She could go back to that. Or she could go back to her menial work - yet more horses to see to.

    Duty won, as usual. The Fyrd didn't pay her to daydream, nor even to invent. So, back to her feet once more, and heading for the doors. Back to the horses once again.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    DwarfFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2009

    Default Re: The Plague of the Marked [Group 1]

    Bear

    Bear nodded at Gias, the relief he felt at gaining some company was written all over his face. He was about to respond when he heard someone speak from behind him.

    Bear turned towards the unrecognised voice. What an odd thing to say. No one I've ever spoken to has talked about liking the plague, at least not openly.

    "Why would you talk such nonsense? Who do you know - I mean personally that is, not a friend of a friend or some drunken fool ranting at a tavern! Who do you actually know that talks of the plague with praise?"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •