New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: The Plague of the Marked [Group 1]

Mamellek

Gias may have had a good feeling for the night, but Mamellek did not. She had a foul feeling, mainly as a result of having followed up her weapon-design-high of the afternoon (Eleanor's weighted staff, whose design was now sitting in one of her pockets) to an ammunition-fabrication low (she just couldn't seem to figure out how to get the arrow to stay in place!). The frustration was written clearly across her face - she was glaring about as she rejoined the others in the pub. The Breastplate and the Greatsword were back, of course - she wasn't about to go on patrol without them!

She wasn't talking, though. Far too unsociable a mood to join in with that.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Chronac

Zzzzz

Still deep in sleep, Johnathan was unaware of the small mischief that his fellow party members had played on him.

(Dream sequence/flash back follows)

"Hullo there! Don't worry, I am not hear to haunt you or anything else lowly such as that. I just wanted to make a request of you."

"Oh? How about you explain why I can see you in the first place?"

"Ah that, well you see lad, we ghosts can choose to manifest ourselves to those who are attuned to the other planes such as yourself. I have tried other times to contact you but it seems it takes a bit regardless of one's spiritual sensitivity for first contact."

"I see. I am probably dreaming but assuming all disbelief aside, why don't we just cut to the chase of the matter?"

"Most certainly good fellow. I am Lord Gwendon the 3rd and it has been my hope over the last decade to provide a suitable heir to my estate."

"Gwendon as in Gwendon Tech Industries? The fifth largest producer of high end military equipment and weaponry in England?"

"Ah so I see you have heard of me. Yes, yes that would be I."

"Being the head of such a corporate giant, I would have thought you would have no troubles what so ever of producing an heir or was there a certain price to your success?"

"Yes, I was quite successful but being in military development is a dangerous business and without going into the details, let's just say my life ended much earlier than I personally had planned. As such I am in need of an heir and though I have found the perfect female, I need the other half of the equation as the saying goes."

"Thank you, I am flattered but I must decline."

"But why? I assure you good sir, she is of excellent teachings, fine of features, no diseases, and a mind sharp as razor."

"Well first and foremost, I really have to find a place to urinate and one I get that resolved, I will share with you the other obvious reasons."
    Last edited by Archangelat; 2009-12-08 at 02:05 PM.
    Altab 1st Party
    OOC / IC / Map

Altab 2nd Party
    OOC / IC / Map

3. - Top - End - #93
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

DM

And the evening descended. The inky black sky set a foul mood on everyone except Gias, especially after this afternoons events, no one was too sure what was going to happen next.

Everyone was expecting an attack, and therefore was pleasently surprised. The evening passed mostly without anything out of the ordinary, even though the guards on the walls were indeed being extra vigilent in their staring into the open space around the town and outside its walls.

For some reason though you have not been near the North quarter of the town. Every time you got close it seemed like a different patrol crosses your path and heads in that direction so you have to set off in a different direction.

As dawn is starting to break however, you hear a warning horn go off on the wall. There are shouts of "possible plagued inbound" coming from the walls, yet no one on the wall seems quite sure of what they are seeing or even where they quite are.

4. - Top - End - #94

DwarfFighterGuy

Bear

Bear looks around and listens for any information that would tell him which direction the trouble is coming from.

Spoiler
    Show

Listen: (1d20+6)[7]
    Spot: (1d20+6)[16]

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Mamellek

Well, there's nothing to see down in the street, and she knows she can't see through the walls, so Mamellek runs up the nearest ramp to take a look out from the wall itself.

Spoiler
    Show

"Spot" - (1d20+7)[10]
    "Listen" - (1d20-1)[0]
    Yes, Mamellek's listen modifier is negative. She's got the 'partially deaf' flaw... All that time hammering metal before the invention of earmuffs.

Edit: Damn, but those rolls are bad!
    Last edited by whoiam; 2009-12-10 at 05:16 PM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wolf

The shouting immediately grabs Wolf's attention. He aims one pointed ear in the general direction of the cries.

Spoiler
    Show

Listen check to more precisely discern the location of the shouts:(1d20+6)[22]

7. - Top - End - #97
    Colossus in the Playground

Eleanor

Trying to reason what's going on, Eleanor doesn't explode into action at the shout; she calmly closes her eyes and focuses on discerning the important. She listens for any possible certain shouts, or sounds of the Plagued themselves, leaving the buzz of people shouting nonsense and running around like headless chickens to its own value.

Spoiler
    Show
    Listen - (1d20-1)[15]
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Gias stays close to his allies and calls the earth for protection. He goes down to a knee as the choas continues around him. Calling deeper to the earth he redoubles his efforts.

Spoiler
    Show

Cast: Sudden Extended Shield

+4 Ac 20 rounds

Ac: 16

2 lvl 1 spells remaining
    Last edited by Flying Dutchman; 2009-12-11 at 12:06 PM.
    Let them hate, So long as they fear.

9. - Top - End - #99

BlackDragon

DM

Nobody 'see's' anything, but there are a few odd things heard.

Wolf :

Spoiler
    Show

you can hear the moan of plagued creatures, but they sound alot closer than the guards seem to think they are.

Eleanor :

Spoiler
    Show

you can hear the moan of plagued creatures, but they sound alot closer than the guards seem to think they are.

A fog has started to roll in, it seems quick for a fog, but not un-natural, it is neither cold nor solid and merely impedes sight. The fog rolls over the top of the walls and suddeny one of the guards seems to snap out of his reverie and lets loose an arrow at a target outside the walls.

Everyone :

Spoiler
    Show

Up to 100ft away - 20% miss chance
    Up to 200 ft away - 50% msis chance
    beyond 200ft - not viewable.

10. - Top - End - #100

Eleanor

Eleanor quickly reacts to what she hears: "They are almost upon us! Don't look into the distance; they're very near! Prepare yourselves!"
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

11. - Top - End - #101

DwarfFighterGuy

Bear

Unable to make anything out of the movement of the people in the streets Bear looks to those he is with for information. Hearing Eleanors warning he moves. For a moment Bear considers moving closer to Wolf but somehow figures he probably works better by himself and takes a few steps towards Eleanor instead. He is unsure what to expect and readies himself against any plagued that would charge into battle.

I could bark some orders but lets see if I can show the others what I see see in her as a leader. She's a bit preoccupied but all the better to see if she is up for the role.

"I don't like this one bit! What would you have us do Mamellek?"
    He calls to the blacksmith.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bear moves 5 foot steps towards Eleanor and readies against a charge. Then he calls to Mamellek as above.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Mamellek

Wait, me? Why is he looking to me for orders?

That first moment of soul-searching was replaced by a second, more cynical one.

What difference will it make? He's the *only* one who seems inclined to follow my lead. Even if I knew what to do I couldn't get the others to do it.

But you had to do something when people were expecting you to take the lead, even if it was technically only person.

"Grab the others and get to the gate closest to the plagued. I'll meet you there."

Two ways to a given gate, after all: Take the streets or run along the walls' firing step. Mamellek was taking the high route, trying to see something out in the mist as she went.

Spoiler
    Show

"Spot Check" - (1d20+7)[22]
    "Listen Check" - (1d20-1)[14]
    Last edited by whoiam; 2009-12-13 at 12:59 PM.

13. - Top - End - #103

BlackDragon

DM

We're into combat time now guys - initiatives please. {{Sorry for the double combat sequences, but I promise more RP'ing next, this gets you into a big chunk of whatever you want}}

Eleanors fears are prooved right, only a few of the guards on the top fire arrows, yet all are screaming some seem rooted in fear and shock.

A ranking officer of the fyrd looks down see's your group and bellows

"Get to that gate and hold it! There are some coming in and we can't hold them all! Be careful! This mist seems to root our men in place longer than normal at the sight of these horrors."

He then turns back and pulling a second crossbow from his side fires 4 bolts into the misty darkness.

Mamellek -
    Spoiler
    Show

if you do go on the top i'll need a will save vs fear please.
    DC 14, fail = dazed for two rounds. Success = no negative effects.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Mamellek
    Spoiler
    Show

"Will Save" - (1d20+5)[21]
    "Initiative" - (1d20+1)[9]

They're all freezing around me... I can understand why, you're on the walls against a foe you can't ever truly beat, and the mist comes in and it looks as though all there is in the world is this tiny little band of you faces against the same horror that attacked night after night after night...

...That's odd. I'm still running towards the gate.

...Is there something I should say to the other soldiers? Something to snap them out of their fear?

"Keep firing! They can't get to you if you shoot them first!"

...But my words may as well be falling on deaf ears. They're as paralyzed by the hopelessness of the situation as I am.

Except I'm still getting closer to the gate.

Actually, I'm here at the gate. For some reason, I still have my sword. And the armor doesn't feel that heavy.

I wonder if there'll be enough of me left to bury when the plagued ones are done with me?

I'll never know of course, but I'd like to think I got better treatment than a mass funeral pyre.

Now I'm at the top of the steps. I can practically touch the gate from here. All I have to do is reach the ground, and they'll kill me. If I stay up here on the ramparts, I might be able to get away in the mist.

Why am I heading down the stairs?

Spoiler
    Show
    Mamellek used a run action to cover the 60' between where they started and the gate. She doesn't have enough movement to make it back to the ground until the second round of combat, though. The slightly surreal post is a result of her training moving her towards the battle whilst her conscious mind tries shaking off the fear effect.

HP: 9/13 (she worked between the last fight and this one, and so hasn't had a chance to heal)
    AC: 18
    Active Effects: Bless
    Last edited by whoiam; 2009-12-13 at 04:54 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105

OOC: I'd still like to do one pre-combat action if possible.

Eleanor

Eleanor was quite surprised by Bear's choice on for whom to call for to lead; on the other hand, the choice isn't entirely without merit. Best leaders are those reluctant for the role, after all, and the girl was by no means foolish. Her thoughts were cut off by the girl trying to assume the role bestown upon her; <Yes, to the gate. But the fear might catch us yet again; I need to do something about this.>

With that, she recites a short, silent (whispered) prayer to Hermes calling for assistance, grasping her Caduceus ribbon slightly. This amounts to the Resistance-spell.

With that, she waits just a moment, hoping for Mamellek to say a word or two; if she does, Eleanor will at the same time silently mumble another prayer that amounts to Bless. If this doesn't happen within the 6-second period, she'll cast the spell saying a word of encouragement herself.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This amounts to the Bless-spell, which bestows all affected allies (all within 50' area of Eleanor; that should cover everyone) with +1 Morale to Hit and saves vs. Fear. She's doing it quite discreetly so as to not betray her powers (though I suppose those trained in Spellcraft can try to identify the spell; DC 16), but as far as the rest are concerned, it might as well be her commands bolstering them. This should affect the guards close enough as well.

With that:
    Initiative - (1d20+3)[15]
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2009-12-13 at 09:39 PM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative:(1d20+2)[14]

Wolf

Wolf continuously lunges forward as if he is going to charge into the distance. Before his feet take flight, he looks back to his comrades and abandons the action with increasing agitation. He finally ceases to consider Eleanor engaged in some sort of prayer ritual. Snarling: "Let's Go! Plague Ones close!...CLOSER!...RRRRRRRRRRRRRRha-"

His growl is cut short by a sudden, upper body, convulsion. Recovering with a euphoric grin focused on his blade, Wolf sinks into his standing position.

Spoiler
    Show

Readies an action against a charge.

((OOC@Eldariel: I'm glad the first spell you cast upon me had no saving throw))
    Last edited by good_lookin_gus; 2009-12-14 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Initiative Sequence

17. - Top - End - #107
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Gias

As the the camp decends into panic Gias rushes forward to catch up with Mamellek. "This will be an ugly night, They were bad enough in broad daylight. The darkness and mist will only add to the confusion. I'll be lucky if I don't end up with an arrow in my back."

Spoiler
    Show

I'll take a run action to catch up with Mamellek

Initiative: (1d20+2)[16](18)
    Will save(if needed):(1d20+3)[6](9)

18. - Top - End - #108

DwarfFighterGuy

Bear

Hearing Mamellek's order to get to the gate Bear doesn't waste any time. He pulls up just short of where Wolf had settled himself and takes out his shortsword and wedges it upright in between two cobbles in the road. He then redies his bow and nocks an arrow, prepared to fire at the first plagued he sees come through the gate.

I sure hope I don't end up as one of those poor souls. Thinking of the plagued and knowing that each of them used to be someones son, mother or friend gave Bear a moments pause.

"Hey Wolf, if I fall here you know what to do right?" After a seconds pause looking at the man's fearsome mask he adds "Making my entrails into some sort of decorative belt is not the correct answer."

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative: (1d20+3)[11]

19. - Top - End - #109

BlackDragon

DM

The start of round three!

The guards snap into action on top of the walls as makeshift ladders slap down next to them. There is a mixture off ladders being pushed over, swords being swung and arrows being fired. There is even one man you can see that points his hand over the wall and a blue ball of force leaves his hand and streaks down.

The gate-doors slam open, splintering and smashing against the stone they are set in.

Rushing in comes an abomination, he looks like a plagued creature, but much much bigger than any you have ever seen before. Standing at well over 10 feet tall he is made up of solid muscle and sinew stitched together with his skin being a vague covering.

His arms hang down and look like they could smash through the wall if he needed to. This creature fills up a 10ft cube in the gate (large). It moves through the gate and instantly clocks onto Mamellek rushing her smashing her in the side of her head with its fish {6 damage}, heedless of the attack of oppurtunity it gives her, Wolf was ready for such an event and swings his weapon and Bear also grabs an attack of oppurtunity as it rushes - Eleanor is on the otherside and Gias and Chronac behind the front line.

Behind walks in another figure, this one smaller, and robed. In a mixture of greys and black material covering his frame. He stands and points his hand towards the creature, mutters a few words and the creatures muscles seem to swell even more.

You guys go!

Initiatives

Big monster
    Evil cleric
    Gias - 18
    Eleanor - 15
    Wolf - 14
    Bear - 11
    Mamellek - 9

ChronacsInitiative - (1D20+4)[12]

20. - Top - End - #110

DwarfFighterGuy

Bear

Spoiler
    Show
    AOO Attack: (1d20+3)[4]
    AOO Damage: (1d6)[4]

I'll take the following action once it reaches my turn.

Oh gods! Is all Bear can think at the sight of this new monstrosity. He quickly drops his bow and picks up his short sword. Let's hope this thing doesn't see me as much of a threat! While I'm at it I hope this isn't as bad an idea as I think it is. Bear then tries to tumble through to behind the huge plagued to put himself between it and the robed figure.

Spoiler
    Show
    Tumble check: (1d20+6)[19]
    Hopefully this will let me flank the big thing for Wolf next round and threaten the cleric if he provokes any AOO. I don't know if they're close enough together for it to work but it's worth a shot.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground

Wolf

Spoiler
    Show

Attack of Opportunity:(1d20+6)[8]
    Damage:(2d4+6)[13]

Wolf's eyes narrow in frustration. With a snarl he adjusts his grip for a more weighted swing.

Spoiler
    Show

Power Attack -1
    Attack:(1d20+5)[18]
    Damage:(2d4+8)[13]

22. - Top - End - #112
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Gias

Gias, stares in awe for a moment at the situation. and so the plot thickens, seems the old shop-keep was right

Gias calls to the earth once more, hardening his hand into living stone. Then moving into the fray to help the others.

Spoiler
    Show

cast: Fist of stone

Then take my move action to move closer to the abomination

Buffs

Shield 17/20 rounds remaining
    FoS: 10/10 rounds remaining

Spells:
    1 lvl 1 spell left
    and i have 4 cantrips to cast.

23. - Top - End - #113

Eleanor

Eleanor narrows her gaze; that big thing just absorbing blows like that cannot be good for the morale of the defense. It needs to go down quick. She seeks a chance to deliver a decisive blow:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+5)[11] for (1d8+6)[8]

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Mamellek

Retreat doesn't seem like it will get me very far. Only one option, really.

"A little help, people?!" Called back over her shoulder - she could see her 'colleagues' charging into the fray already.

Spoiler
    Show

Power Attack (1 point)
    "Attack Roll" - (1d20+4)[15] (+1, which I forgot to add in when I rolled)
    "Damage Roll" - (2d6+6)[15]

Current HP: 3
    Current AC: 18
    Current Effects: Bless
    Last edited by whoiam; 2009-12-16 at 11:58 AM.

25. - Top - End - #115

BlackDragon

DM

Round 1 (or 3, depending on your perspective)

Gias casts a spell that he cast earlier and moves up to the creature flanking it with the rest of the front line.

Eleanor decides that she is going to try and smash the creature in its head and bashes it on the head with her quaterstaff but fails to make an impact. She didn't miss, but the creatures so heavily muscled that it simply didn't notice the impact.

Wolf on the other hand smashes his axe into the side of the creature and notices he can only do so because of the flanking support provided by his comrades. The axe doesn't seem to do as much damage as it should Wolf notices, and infact the deep wound seems alot less deep than it was moments earlier. {{This is my way of RPing Damage Reduction}}

Chronac holds his shot for the next time the cleric tries to cast a spell so as to attempt to disrupt him.

Bear tumbles around the creature successfully and is standing next to the cleric incase the cleric does anything threatening next turn.

Memellek takes an almighty swing, and even with her allies flanking helping distract the creature her sword misses by mere milimetres from the creature.

Round 2 (or 4)

The creature notices that it is surrounded, and it simply doesn't seem to care. It launches another almighty punch but doesn't target Mamellek, this time the punch connects with Wolf, and unfortunatley it connects squarely. {{8 damage, and a DC 12 fort save or be stunned for this round}}

The cleric on the other hand steps back 5ft from Bear, and draws a mace as it goes. It then looks at Bear, sneers and speaks a single word :

"Drop" - DC 14 Will Save

As its hands start to crackle with energy, Chronac looses his held shot, it pierces the clerics shoulder but doesnt break his concentration unfortunatley.

Big monster
    Evil cleric
    Gias - 18
    Eleanor - 15
    Wolf - 14
    Chronac -12
    Bear - 11
    Mamellek - 9

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Mamellek

The terror that had nearly overwhelmed her initially was gone now, replaced by a sort of hollow monotony in her thoughts. Training had been simplistic, but thorough: When you were hand to hand with the enemy, stand and fight. Fight so hard they drop before you do. Meanwhile, the conscious part of her mind was busy praying, despite knowing it was pretty unlikely anyone above would intervene on her behalf.

If you're there, God, I could really do with some help here...

Spoiler
    Show

Power Attack: (1 Point)
    Attack Roll: (1d20+7)[27] (+4, +1 Masterwork Blade, -1 Power Attack, +1 Bless, +2 Flankers)
    Edit: Sweet!
    Damage Roll: (2d6+6)[13] (+4, +2 PA)

Current HP: 3
    Current AC: 18
    Current Effects: Bless
    Last edited by whoiam; 2009-12-16 at 05:25 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Spoiler
    Show

Critical Confirmation Roll: (1d20+7)[19]
    Critical Damage Roll: (2d6+6)[15]

...Thank you, God.
    Last edited by whoiam; 2009-12-16 at 05:28 PM.

28. - Top - End - #118

DwarfFighterGuy

Bear

Spoiler
    Show
    Will Save: (1d20+2)[11]
    Fail!

Bear feels an overwhelming compulsion to divest himself of his sword. He glares at the hand holding it but is unable to prevent himself from dropping the weapon on the ground. Without a weapon Bear tries to protect himself the best he can.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll use the Total Defense action this round for +4 dodge AC.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Doctor Witch; 2009-12-16 at 06:19 PM.

29. - Top - End - #119

Eleanor

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eleanor is armed with her Longspear at this point, as well as pretty much ever when actually geared for a fight (such as when on a patrol); Quarterstaff does 1d6 damage and is mostly for her training regimen. I did not separately mention this since she had the Longspear in use already in the last fight.

This does mean she has 10' reach for what it matters, as well. As far as I can tell, all it means is she doesn't need to provoke to hit the big guy.

Eleanor continues her attack, with a single-minded focus on the large creature to the extent of ignoring everything else.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack Roll: (1d20+5)[16] (this does not account for the probable +2 flanking benefits provided by Bear; the composite result is most likely 18)
    Damage: (1d20+6)[14]
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2009-12-16 at 09:39 PM.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Gias

With his magic protecting him Gias wades into the fray.seeing the blows of his fellows rain down upon the abomination with little effect Gias wonders how his strength will fare. Lets see how he likes this.

Gias swings his fist in an arcing blow into the side of the giant hoping his enhanced strength will be a adequate weapon.

Spoiler
    Show

attack: (1d20+9)[2](11) 6 from str, 1 from bless and 2 from a supposed flank.

dmg:(1d6+9)[1](10)

Buffs
    Bless: ?
    Shield: 16/20
    FoS: 9/10

Ac:16
    Hp: 8/8

why have you forsaken me dice gods?
    Last edited by Flying Dutchman; 2009-12-16 at 06:20 PM.