New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default [3.5] Questions about Setting sun

I am in a PbP game as a swordsage who is focusing in setting sun maneuvers, and va question about feat choices has come up. Many of the powers say that they are are resolved like trip attempts (without the downsides and a +4 to the attempt, and more). Does this +4 stack with the +4 from improved trip?

if so, do you think it's worth it to burn a feat on Improved Trip?
    Nerd-o-rama Wrote on 10/16/06 at 01:06:57:
    Even creatures listed as "Always Alignment" have one-in-a-million exceptions: the Chaotic Good White Dragon Ranger yearning to throw off the reputation of its Evil kin, anybody?

Dice for the Dice God! D20s for the D20 Throne!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: [3.5] Questions about Setting sun

Well you're getting bonuses from two completely separate and unrelated sources (special like ability thingy and feat), so I'd say they do stack. I would have to go back and double check to be certain, but I'd say they definitely stack. Though word to the wise, I've found the maneuvers that just don't even let your opponent get to attack you to be much better than tripping. So maybe instead of grabbing an extra +4 to trip with improved trip it might behoove you to nab something else. I would say Elusive Target, but that requires two practically useless feats to grab (dodge and mobility) so unless you're already going that route I would say never mind.
    Nosce te ipsum

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

MonkGuy

The Setting Sun throws can be decent, and I'm positive Improved Trip stacks with the bonus given by the maneuvers. Playing a Goliath or Half-Giant will also help, since you count as large for tripping and get very useful stat bonuses too.
    Master Rahl guide us. Master Rahl teach us. Master Rahl protect us. In your light we thrive. In your mercy we are sheltered. In your wisdom we are humbled. We live to serve. Our lives are yours.

Awesome Richard avatar by kpenguin!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Master_Rahl22 View Post
    The Setting Sun throws can be decent, and I'm positive Improved Trip stacks with the bonus given by the maneuvers. Playing a Goliath or Half-Giant will also help, since you count as large for tripping and get very useful stat bonuses too.
    Usually true, but with setting sun you will often get bonuses for being smaller than your opponent.
    Nosce te ipsum