New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Answered. Closed.

I'm back with another question, fellow 'Grounders!

I'm building a character who is basically the Operative from Firefly, the Dwarven Paladin from Goblins, and John Preston from Equilibrium.

Such a character needs a fast mode of travel, and I want an airship. I have up to 500,000 gp to spend on this sucker.

I checked out the airships from Eberron, but there's a direct relationship between speed and size. I need something smaller, like a crew of less than 10. But I still want to be able to cover at least 100 miles in a day, if not 200.

So, fellow 'Grounders, where should I look? What book contains the answers to my needs? Is there a book I'm not thinking of, or should I cobble something together from the Stronghold Builder's Guide. Or should I move this thread to the Homebrew section?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: For clarification, I guess I should point this out: my monk already has a fly speed of 80', so he can do something like 80 miles in a day by himself.

I'd like a ship that can do at least twice that, if not more, and can carry others.
    Last edited by Barbarian MD; 2009-11-19 at 07:23 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Post Re: Need a fast-attack airship

Must it be an Airship? An undead Dragon has many of the same benefits, and is much easier to boost the speed of.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default Re: Need a fast-attack airship

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    Must it be an Airship? An undead Dragon has many of the same benefits, and is much easier to boost the speed of.
    And it has no upkeep costs. Though you will have to do something about the smell.

Yeah, I would suggest talking with the DM about homebrewing something. Some things just dont exist in the official books.
    Been there, fought that, died horribly.

Something fun and flavorful to get your DM throwing books at you: Katana Chucker

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

In this campaign, basically anything that's not human is evil. Arcane magic detects as evil to a paladin. It's Dystopia, with a capital D. I don't think dragons would be allowed to live.

Yes, my character is definitely one of the bad guys Children of the Light good guys.

But no, it doesn't have to be an airship.

5. - Top - End - #5

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mhvaughan View Post
    I don't think dragons would be allowed to live.
    There lies the beauty in having an UNDEAD dragon! You got gotta worry about pesky little details like it being "allowed to live"

Is this a world where airships are common technology? Or do they even normally exist at all?

Something fun and flavorful to get your DM throwing books at you: Katana Chucker

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

There's airships everywhere, apparently.

As an aside, there's a giant anti-teleport artifact blanketing the country, so it's either airships or horse and/or carriage.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

There's airships everywhere, apparently.

As an aside, there's a giant anti-teleport artifact blanketing the country, so it's either airships or horse and/or carriage.
    Fun fact. A wheeled Tiny Animated Object has 80' move speed and can carry 18 lbs as a light load. Get enough of those together, build a platform, and you can travel around the nation by surfing on the backs of robots.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Fun fact. A wheeled Tiny Animated Object has 80' move speed and can carry 18 lbs as a light load. Get enough of those together, build a platform, and you can travel around the nation by surfing on the backs of robots.
    If I have been anywhere, it was on the shoulders of robots.
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

9. - Top - End - #9

BlueKnightGuy

Extremely well coordinated robots to boot.

I was thinking some sort of flying animated object.

But, what's wrong with a crew? The guy from Firefly had a warship didn't he?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Nothing's wrong with a crew. I'd definitely want a pilot, so I could sleep on the flight.

What I don't want is a crew of 200, which is what a galley airship requires. The thing is, they have the fastest move speed. A rowboat only has a couple of crew members, but it's got an incredibly slow speed (my flying monk can do 86 miles in a day, which is faster than most ships).
    Last edited by Barbarian MD; 2009-11-17 at 09:50 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Nothing's wrong with a crew. I'd definitely want a pilot, so I could sleep on the flight.

What I don't want is a crew of 200, which is what a galley airship requires. The thing is, they have the fastest move speed. A rowboat only has a couple of crew members, but it's got an incredibly slow speed (my flying monk can do 86 miles in a day, which is faster than most ships).
    Resetting trap of Unseen Servant?

Spoiler
    Show
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

12. - Top - End - #12

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Deth Muncher View Post
    Resetting trap of Unseen Servant?
    Depends on how simple flying an airship is...

13. - Top - End - #13

DwarfFighterGuy

A colossal effigy creature costs 50,000g + 2,000g/HD. So an effigy of a great wyrm gold dragon would run ya only 132k gold.

Effigy creatures are described in Complete Arcane, they are basically robots. So yeah, for only 132k gold out of your 500k, you can be riding your very own robotic great wyrm gold dragon!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Asbestos View Post
    Depends on how simple flying an airship is...
    That's fair, but isn't there a better Unseen Servant somewhere? One that can do something over a DC10 skill check?

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground

In this campaign, basically anything that's not human is evil. Arcane magic detects as evil to a paladin. It's Dystopia, with a capital D. I don't think dragons would be allowed to live.

Yes, my character is definitely one of the bad guys Children of the Light good guys.

But no, it doesn't have to be an airship.
    Wait, does this make celestials evil? Metallic Dragons?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    something something Jayngfet experience.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Level of physics "realism" in your game? Answering is probably a bad plan. In fact, just start running now. It won't help, but at least you won't see it coming.
    Last edited by Doc Roc; 2009-11-18 at 12:34 AM.
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

www.spelljammer.org

Make an elven flitter. One man vehicle that is swift as lightning. Could go to the moon for a picnic if you wanted with one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    www.spelljammer.org

Make an elven flitter. One man vehicle that is swift as lightning. Could go to the moon for a picnic if you wanted with one.
    Spelljammer's total-conversion is deeply incomplete, almost to the point of complete unplayability. Certainly none of it ever got any serious testing.
    Last edited by Doc Roc; 2009-11-18 at 01:08 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

One word:
    Spelljammer
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

21. - Top - End - #21

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Carriage dragged by Phantom Steeds?
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraneaux View Post
    Adventurers. Murderous hobos with near-deific power who are both merciless and incredibly competent at personal combat.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

If you're dead set on an airship, about the only thing I can think of is some of the special abilities of the windwright captain prestige class in the Explorer's Handbook. You wouldn't need that class, but it could help, and you could ask the DM if your pilot can have it or something.

Barring that? You'll probably need homebrew. For our party's airship, we just came up with ideas and asked the DM to set game effects. I think it turned out pretty well, but then we were mostly ignoring prices for any of the enhancements.
    Elina d'Lyrandar, Bard 4/Dragonmark Heir 4/Windwright Captain 5/Storm Sentry 2

"Arise, my children. Only the honor of a paladin is unbreakable...... even by death itself." -Soon, OOTS #449

23. - Top - End - #23
    Firbolg in the Playground

Take the elements of the larger ships and apply them to a smaller type such as a Keel Boat

Scaling down where necessary and adjusting to your needs
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Oh! how much would a ship in a box with a built in Cloud Keel and a lightning Turbine and/or wind favored sales cost?! Then you could keep it in your pocket

OR, you can get an Eberron Airship (one of the big ones) and buy a few Fahrlanghn's Lines to cut back on needed crew.

A dirigible with a lightning turbine can have a movement of either 15xwind or 90 ft, whichever is better. 90ft speed x 100 rounds/ hour = 9000 ft/hour x 12 hours = 108000 ft = 20. 46 miles a day.

So to get up to 100miles/day you'd need a base speed around 90x5=450ft/round

Hmm... Can a vehicle make a run action? a constant full withdraw maybe?
    Last edited by Vizzerdrix; 2009-11-18 at 07:19 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25

Gray render mount with boots of flying?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

If you have full "physics" transparency, I have a sun-crusher waiting for you, complete with hyperdrive.

Turns out there's ways to exert infinite torque in D&D. You can, in fact, fly by pulling upward on your own bootstraps.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    If you have full "physics" transparency, I have a sun-crusher waiting for you, complete with hyperdrive.

Turns out there's ways to exert infinite torque in D&D. You can, in fact, fly by pulling upward on your own bootstraps.
    That's ridiculous. You might as well say you could fly by throwing yourself at the ground and missing.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I can name at least one person who learned to fly by this method.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Decanters of Endless water, sent to maximum output.

Behold, a jetpack.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I guess I should point this out: my monk already has a fly speed of 70', so he can over something like 80 miles in a day by himself.

I'd like a ship that can do at least twice that, if not more, and can carry others.

I do appreciate so many people tossing out ideas!