Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default need an evil paladin build.

I've never made a paladin, let alone an evil version. Wondering what kind of class, feats, PrC to take.

We'll go with the following stats, 18, 16, 15, 15, 11, 10. probably human. looking to start at around level 10-12. Not worried about skill points. just feats and PrC to pull of a good, solid, uncomplicated "evil paladin".

Thank you.
    You live in your world and I'll live in mine. Invade my world and I'll go medieval on your subconscious tookus.

Do not mistake my inaction for fear or doubt, if I desire you to hang yourself by your own rope why should I hasten the inevitable?

Do not underestimate me, for I have not underestimated you...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: need an evil paladin build.

If you want to kep simple you can either use

a) blackguard prestige class from the DMG and possibly the SRD
    b)Paladin of Tyrani/Slaughter: Variant base classes for Lawful evil and chaotic evil paladin respectivly (sp?)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

So, Paladin of Tyranny/Slaughter or a Paladin/Blackguard, or a class that works with that concept without going Paladin?

I'll assume Paladin of Tyranny/Slaughter.

Int is a good dump stat for you, especially given that you have no stats that give a negative modifier. Cha is important for your Cha to AC and Smites.

For stats, I'd recommend:
    18/16/15 - Str, Con, and Cha, depending on what you want to emphasize

15/11 - Will or Dex, depending on if you want more Dex to AC or better Will saves. Unless you hit very high levels or have high enough wealth to afford Mithral armor, I would recommend 11 Dex since you'd have a +1 max if using heavy armor.

10 - Int (Paladins don't use it)

I don't know what PrC or feats are good, as I've never run a Paladin, but I'm sure others can provide. I'd recommend looking at Complete Divine.
    Edit: if allowed, BoVD has some excellent fighting classes. One gives full BAB and has an ability that lets you get two full attacks in one turn some amount of turns/day.

Also, what level of optimization do you want? That will shape people's responses.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2009-11-18 at 02:47 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DuskEclipse View Post
    If you want to kep simple you can either use

a) blackguard prestige class from the DMG and possibly the SRD
    b)Paladin of Tyrani/Slaughter: Variant base classes for Lawful evil and chaotic evil paladin respectivly (sp?)
    Yes. Paladins should not be alignment restricted. They should follow a set code of ethics, regardless of exactly what that code entails.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Important feats include Battle Blessing(free quicken on all spells) and Serenity(Wis instead of Cha for paladin abilities). If you take both of those, go with 18 Str, 16 Wis, 15 Con, 15 Dex, 11 Int, 10 Cha. Snag a Gal-Ralan(Fiend Folio) for a much cheaper Cloak of Resistance. Go with Mithral Heavy Armor when you can afford it, and you should be golden.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    Important feats include Battle Blessing(free quicken on all spells) and Serenity(Wis instead of Cha for paladin abilities). If you take both of those, go with 18 Str, 16 Wis, 15 Con, 15 Dex, 11 Int, 10 Cha. Snag a Gal-Ralan(Fiend Folio) for a much cheaper Cloak of Resistance. Go with Mithral Heavy Armor when you can afford it, and you should be golden.
    Where is Serenity from? That makes paladins so much less MAD.

For PrC: most advise to leave Paladin at 5th level at the latest. That way you have your nice paladin abilities and your mount, but can move on to a PrC that gives you useful abilities.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    Where is Serenity from? That makes paladins so much less MAD.
    Dragon, unfortunately. IIRC, 331.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Fallen Paladin 1/Blackguard 10: An 11th level Paladin who falls, and converts in 10 levels into Blackguard. Very strong for that particular ECL - full BAB, 4th level spells, etc.

Whatever 2-3/Hexblade 4/Blackguard X - Mettle, Cha *2 to most Saves, and a Familiar or another debuff effect, etc. The Whatever depends on your build goals. Barbarian for Pounce and Uncanny Dodge, Fighter for feats, Rogue for Evasion and more Sneak Attack, Totemist for a totem chakra bind, Marshal to get your Cha bonus to whatever you want, etc.

Hexblade 4/Paladin of Tyranny 4: Same as above, but without the Whatever. Less useful above ECL 8, since Paladin is a 4 level class if you multiclass.

Paladin of Whatever 20: Seriously. Take some Leadership type feat to improve your mount, and you're set. Someone else playing a Batman Wizard? Well now you have a Red Dragon as a Special Mount.

For feats, check out Drow of the Underdark, Complete Champion, and Sneak Attack feats. Tons of useful options.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

You might pick up Awesome Smite, a tactical feat from the Complete Champion that gives you some sweet options in conjunction with your smite attacks. Or, if your DM allows it (and this is my preferred option) make a crusader from the Tome of Battle.

-Count Dravda

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    Where is Serenity from? That makes paladins so much less MAD..
    Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    Dragon, unfortunately. IIRC, 331.
    It's in Dragon Compendium too, if that helps.