New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Drow Questions (3.5)

One of my players is going to play a drow in my upcoming 3.5 game and I had a bunch of questions that I haven’t been able to find the answers to in my books or on the d20srd hyperlink version.

Drow, by default, is +2 LA. If she played the default drow and the game starts at level 3, that means she would have a level one character with a level 3 ECL. Does she get two racial hit die, or is she stuck with the one for her class level and that’s it?

I believe there is an LA 0 Drow in the Player’s Guide to Faerun. Is this a viable race option for someone wanting to play a drow for fluff reasons?

The above question, applied to the d20r Drow I found somewhere on this forum?

Finally, would dropping spell resistance, one of the plusses, and limiting her to only one of a drow spell-likes reduce the race to LA +1?

Note that LA buyoff is in effect.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Drow Questions (3.5)

Aren't they LA +1?
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AtwasAwamps View Post
    Drow, by default, is +2 LA. If she played the default drow and the game starts at level 3, that means she would have a level one character with a level 3 ECL. Does she get two racial hit die, or is she stuck with the one for her class level and that’s it?
    No she does not gain racial hit die, just LA.

I believe there is an LA 0 Drow in the Player’s Guide to Faerun. Is this a viable race option for someone wanting to play a drow for fluff reasons?
    Yes.

Finally, would dropping spell resistance, one of the plusses, and limiting her to only one of a drow spell-likes reduce the race to LA +1?
    Drows are usually weak for LA 2, so I'm sure it would be fine.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Boci is correct. Drow are basic humanoids and have no racial HD, they must have a class (PC or NPC) level to have HD at all.
    FYI: The LA0 Drow in the PGtF is called a Lesser Drow.
    Last edited by dsmiles; 2009-11-19 at 11:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Drow and SR tend to be underrated, as people tend to only look at the worst scenarios not the typical or best. Drop the SR and they don't have much left. It's still probably too strong for LA +0, but it's an awfully weak LA +1. I mean, what are they going to play? A caster with LA? A non-caster with mental stat boosts?

In a powergaming group where SR is "haha, I have cheesy orb spells for that", drop the LA to +1 right off the bat, no changes to the class. In a less min-maxy group, if you take out SR you'll have to put something back to bring the class up to LA 1, or nerf it a little more to bring it down to LA 0. The PGtF drow could make the rebalancing easier for you.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2009-11-19 at 11:45 AM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    Drow are basic humanoids and have no racial HD, they must have a class (PC or NPC) level to have HD at all.
    Not quite. Absolutely every creature forever in DnD has racial HD. The thing is, creatures that have just one racial hit die can (and should) drop it for the first level of a class, and pretty much always do.[/nitpick]
    Last edited by Jade_Tarem; 2009-11-19 at 12:51 PM.
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Awesome! Thanks for all the help!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jade_Tarem View Post
    Not quite. Absolutely every creature forever in DnD has racial HD. The thing is, creatures that have just one racial hit die can (and should) drop it for the first level of a class, and pretty much always do.[/nitpick]
    In reality, all humanoids (as far as I know) are stated as 1st level warriors in 3.5. Drow, hobgoblin, whatever. That is a typical fighting member, and so the only one PC's care about. So in reality the humanoid type could be removed and them all stated out as races.

Also, maybe halve the SR? It is less powerful for a PC, as about 50% of the monster manual have SLAs or spells, and at high levels where they will crop up all the time, but a 20th level wizard will get past a 20ECL drow non-buy off LA' SR more than 50% of the time.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

If I remember correctly, the biggest difference between lesser drow and normal drow is the INT and CHA bonuses, the range on their darkvision and the SR. Taking it off and making it a LA0 race gave became the lesser drow. I don't that the difference is worth LA2, and as lesser drow are fine for LA0, IMO, making drow a LA1 race without changing it at all, wouldn't make it overpowered..
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    Drow and SR tend to be underrated, as people tend to only look at the worst scenarios not the typical or best. Drop the SR and they don't have much left. It's still probably too strong for LA +0, but it's an awfully weak LA +1. I mean, what are they going to play? A caster with LA? A non-caster with mental stat boosts?

In a powergaming group where SR is "haha, I have cheesy orb spells for that", drop the LA to +1 right off the bat, no changes to the class. In a less min-maxy group, if you take out SR you'll have to put something back to bring the class up to LA 1, or nerf it a little more to bring it down to LA 0. The PGtF drow could make the rebalancing easier for you.
    The problem with SR on players is that you need to spend a Standard Action to lower it, meaning in-combat buffing and healing becomes nigh-useless on your character. Meanwhile, the number of opponents who care is fairly small(Casters with no martial capability who are below your level).
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Halving the SR and taking it away are pretty close- the slowing down of combat to make a roll that will almost always fail kind of offsets the slim chance of avoiding the spell.

Lesser drow are more powerful than moon elves underground and less powerful aboveground, so whether they're appropriate may depend on whether one of those dominates the campaign.
    "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
    - Thomas Jefferson

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    The problem with SR on players is that you need to spend a Standard Action to lower it, meaning in-combat buffing and healing becomes nigh-useless on your character. Meanwhile, the number of opponents who care is fairly small(Casters with no martial capability who are below your level).
    Those two things tend to be fairly poor options anyway, usually best done outside of combat. In an emergency you down a potion (bypasses SR) and/or run or etc. Use boots of speed for haste or etc. Again, this is hunting for the worst case scenario and ignores the many situations and monsters where SR is immensively useful. Even against equal level opponents it blocks half of spells and monster SLA's targeted at the drow.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    A creature’s spell resistance never interferes with its own spells, items, or abilities.
    Btw if you nerf the SR halving it will make it scale poorly: still ok at low levels and worthless at high levels. I'd subtract a flat amount from it if you want to nerf it. Half progression SR is only good vs. half progression caster levels, which is rare.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2009-11-19 at 02:58 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Jade_Tarem View Post
    I dunno, I'd rather one level in humanoid than two in commoner.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Fiddler View Post
    I dunno, I'd rather one level in humanoid than two in commoner.
    Are you mad? I'd rather two levels in commoner than one level in Monstrous Humanoid. +1 BAB, 5+twice Con mod hp, +2 cap on skills...
    Last edited by Foryn Gilnith; 2009-11-19 at 02:58 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Use the Drow Racial Class found in the last few pages of Drow of the Underdark. You get a LA0 drow at first and a strangely-worded "racial class" that you can actually multiclass out of - so you can cherry-pick abilities out of it for one or two LA at your own pace.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.