New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default so, playin' a kitty kat

Alright I’ve just been discussing things with my Dm and he has approved of my character, an awakened housecat rogue. level 6, with 13K of gold to spend on magic gear.

So my stats look like this: Str 8, dex 23, con 14, int 12, wis 10, cha 10

get the size, racial skills and the feats. But I waive the two HD (magical beast) I would get from the awakened spell.

Now I’ve got a bunch of money to spend. What sorts of magic gear do you the playground suggest.
    The DM has already banned the battle belt and anything else from MIC must be cleared by him. But I’m cool with that.

Now before anyone asks, I’m not playing Puss ‘n Boots here. so no magic rapiers. I plan on using my natural claw and bite attacks to deliver sneak attack damage. so a way to enhance the attacks is always a bonus.

Also I’m thinking of prestege classing out of rogue, anyone have any good ideas for a house cat sneak.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: so, playin' a kitty kat

Mighty fist amulet

Also a reminder: you need to put ranks in preform dance. Cuz cats need to dance dance dance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Swordsage. It synergizes well with rogue, and if you take Setting Sun, you get to be a housecat who chucks people around. There's no downside!

Also, consider the Psychic Rogue. It's not the strongest psionic class out there, but I love the image of a psionic kitty. (Think about how cats stare... they've got a psionic power or two, don't they?)
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Swordsage. It synergizes well with rogue, and if you take Setting Sun, you get to be a housecat who chucks people around. There's no downside!

Also, consider the Psychic Rogue. It's not the strongest psionic class out there, but I love the image of a psionic kitty. (Think about how cats stare... they've got a psionic power or two, don't they?)
    a cat with catfall? Brilliant!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Monk/Unarmed Swordsage (depending on your DM's aversion to ToB) seems an intuitive choice.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

And remember, cats are Chaotic.

Running Tomb of Horrors 4E in all that horrific tombyness.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Dragon Compendium has the Tibbit. Sort of a were house cat thingy

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Second the idea you put ranks in Dance.

And be a Shadowdancer.

The Shadow companion and Shadow Step are perfect for a housecat, and the Hide in Plain Sight is brilliant.

As for magic items? For something without thumbs?

well, get a RoP and a Ring of Natural Armor. Up that kitty cat AC. With some ranks in Tumble and your tiny size, you should already be dang hard to hit. nothing wrong with making it even harder ^_^

Also, Amulet of Mighty Fists is a great idea. As is the Monk's belt.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I think Swordsage/rogue/shadowdancer would be a combination for you to play, especaly if you can get claws to count as a shadow blade weapon, making it possible to get dex to damage.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

10. - Top - End - #10

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Wow, those are really generous stats. Like really, really generous. Cats should be -8 Str, +4 Dex, +1 Wis, -4 Cha(+1d3) as an awakened PC. Assuming rolling max on the Charisma die (and a +1 to Dex from lvl4), you're working off a 40 point buy.

For reference, your cat can drag 200lbs. That's a normal-sized housecat dragging a full-grown man across the ground. Then again I suppose that's what fantasy games are all about.

For a prestige class to go into: Assassin. Get the evil requirement waived, its a stupid requirement(there are planty of good reasons to have people killed). I think Chaotic Neutral is a perfectly fine alignment for an assassin (after all, how else would you describe a cat's alignment?) A cuddly little kitty should have no problem infiltrating a target's base, and would have ample opportunity for the three-round Death Attack build up.

The lvl 8 Hide in Plain Sight would be a wish-fulfillment for any cat. They already think they have the ability, Imagine what would happen if they actually could hide behind a shoe?

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Keshay View Post
    I think Chaotic Neutral is a perfectly fine alignment for an assassin (after all, how else would you describe a cat's alignment?)
    EEEEEEVIL!!!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh's Fist View Post
    EEEEEEVIL!!!
    http://www.theonion.com/content/node/51603

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Also, you have to love cheeseburgers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

How about looking in Savage Species, there are items in there for those without opposable thumbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-to-effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.
    Awesomesauce Doctor WhOotS-atar by Ceika!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

EEEEEEVIL!!!
    Good Cat smiles upon thee, then pickest thou up by the scruff of thine neck, and says unto thee THOU SHALT HAST NO PIE.

This is awesome sauce by the way, TheThan, and good luck with your adventures.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2009-11-20 at 12:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

I like to build rogues with the Dark template from ToM. You get nice bonuses to Move Silently and Hide, a 10 foot bonus to speed, and best of all you can Hide in Plain Sight whenever you are out of direct daylight. Not bad for +1 LA, and a Dark Kitty of Doom sounds like a fun character to play.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, he’s starting everyone with the “epic array”. And I’m taking –8 str, +4 dex and +2 wisdom. So my stats are quite good.

Ok, I’ve decided to go with the rogue/swordsage/shadowdancer. I got my natural attacks to always count as preferred weapons. I also did some changes to my stats, they now look like this: str 4, dex 23, con 14, int 10, wis 18, charisma 8.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Any plans to use Bhu's cat burglar class?
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    Dragon Compendium has the Tibbit. Sort of a were house cat thingy
    I'm going to second this - normally, I'm dead against trying to dissuade people from a particular build, but with a Tibbit, you can have the best of both worlds (also, no racial HD to slow down your class levels).

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    I'm going to second this - normally, I'm dead against trying to dissuade people from a particular build, but with a Tibbit, you can have the best of both worlds (also, no racial HD to slow down your class levels).
    the racial hit dice got waived. so that's not an issue.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

The tibbit has something going for it: Some of it's gear in humanoid shape will morph along with it to kitty shape.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gamerkid View Post
    Any plans to use Bhu's cat burglar class?
    He's right. Bhu's amazing homebrew already has you covered.
    "Once upon a time, a story was never finished..."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Bugbear in the Playground

Just remember that cats are exceedingly nonconformist and exceedingly distractable. Make sure to play this up. One of the more hard-handed ways to do this goes like this:

1: All right, we go somewhere.
    catplayer: I stay put.
    2: What do you mean, you stay put?
    catplayer: I...stay put. I'm looking at the window.
    1: No, you're not, you're coming with us.
    catplayer: I'm just not coming.
    3: "Hey you! Come on!"
    catplayer: "Why...?"
    2: You don't move?
    catplayer: You're going to have to grab my attention somehow. Or drag me.

etc.
    Of the Core classes, Bard is the best. It optimizes the most important resource of them all: play time.

Grieve not greatly if thou be touched a-light, for an after-stroke is better if thou dare him smite.
    The Play with the Two-Hand Sword in Verse, circa 1430. British Museum manuscript #3542, ff 82-85.

Current avatar: Sascha Kincaid, a lost country girl in a big city. Aldhaven: Vicious Betrayals

25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground

Opposed grapple checks!

That might be work out Normally it might annoy your players but if the party's meatshield just grabs you and takes you along anyway you could get away with not being a team player. Then he strokes your back and gives you some catnip and all is forgotten.
    Last edited by Ormur; 2009-11-20 at 10:34 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Having just run a Tibbit caster, a couple pieces of advice.

1: Never walk anywhere. You're 12 lbs, it's easier for them to carry you, and that way you don't get your paws dirty. You're better than that.
    2: Hand of the Mage. This is vital for you to be able to drink at a tavern(milk only, Kumis if you've had a bad day).
    3: The party exists to serve you. Remember this.
    4: A party member petting you gets a +2 to Intimidate. Use that.
    5: Hide checks are unnecessary in many situations. How many people notice a cat wandering around and are suspicious of it?
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by TheThan View Post
    Yeah, he’s starting everyone with the “epic array”. And I’m taking –8 str, +4 dex and +2 wisdom. So my stats are quite good.

Ok, I’ve decided to go with the rogue/swordsage/shadowdancer. I got my natural attacks to always count as preferred weapons. I also did some changes to my stats, they now look like this: str 4, dex 23, con 14, int 10, wis 18, charisma 8.
    Nooooo! All kitties should have high cha! Surely, surely, you know this if you've ever actually interacted with kitty. They haz a cute which is magically compulsive >.>

28. - Top - End - #28
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by rubycona View Post
    Nooooo! All kitties should have high cha! Surely, surely, you know this if you've ever actually interacted with kitty. They haz a cute which is magically compulsive >.>
    +1 to this. I would swap your con score with your cha score. Not necessarily optimizing, but from a flavor standpoint much better. :)
    Last edited by Saintjebus; 2009-11-20 at 11:51 PM.
    My girlfriend(non-gamer) after watching me play an RPG on the Xbox: "So, you're just killing people and taking their stuff?"
    Me-.....Right!

"You weak minded fools! If you had the strength of will to look past his illusionary fire, you would see that - OH GOD, IT BURNS! IT BURNS EVEN HOTTER THAN THE REAL THING!"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

OMG people are reading that thread!
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

In particular, get that Collar of Perpetual Attendance ASAP (only 2000 GP). Unseen Servant at will, which not only makes your life easier, you can get a leg-up in the action economy by directing your Unseen Servant with a move action to perform standard or full-round actions.

For example, buy some bags of marbles (A&EG p 24, 2sp per bag). Tell the unseen servant to spread the marbles under one of your opponents for your own personal 5'x5' square of non-magical grease. Use your standard action to attack, and since your opponent is now on a slippery surface, if he doesn't have 5 ranks in Balance, he's now flat-footed.

Your unseen servant can retrieve/fold nets, drop smokesticks for cover, drop bags of acid/alchemists fire for splash damage, it can bull rush or block opponents from charging, it can carry a darkwood feycraft tower shield to provide cover. And if your character is lighter than 20 lbs... it can pick you up for a 30' fly speed.

It just occurred to me that there may be some additional issues... is your character tiny or small sized? If tiny, then you're going to have some problems with melee. You don't threaten the squares arround you, and you can only attack someone by entering their space. This provokes an AoO.

There's two ways around this: 1) the Elusive Dance feat from Dragon #333 (check Realmshelp for details), or 2) Underfoot Combat/Confound the Big Folk from Races of the Wild.

Unfortunately, both Underfoot Combat and Confound the Big Folk require 10 ranks of Tumble, which is incredibly annoying because it means you can't take Underfoot Combat until ECL 9, and Confound the Big Folk at ECL 12. You can get around this and take them at 6th/9th by using the Favored/Primary Contact feats from Cityscape, but that means blowing your 1st and 3rd feats on nearly useless prereqs. If your DM allows feat retraining (or Psychic Reformation/Dark Chaos Shuffle), then you may want to consider this (retraining Favored/Primary Contact at ECL 7), otherwise it'll take too darned long to get it all working.