New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Is Skip lying or do Pixies not exchange 1st HD with a class level?

When a creature of the humanoid type with one racial Hit Die or fewer gains its first class level, the racial Hit Die is dropped in favor of the class Hit Die. Creatures of other types simply add the class Hit Die to their existing Hit Dice, even if they have only one racial Hit Die. (The text dealing with monsters as races in the Dungeon Master's Guide doesn't make this clear, but the text in the Monster Manual does; see page 290). If the creature has levels from other classes, the Hit Die from the new class is added to the creature's total Hit Dice.
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20060411a

Supposed Rules of the game?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Is Skip lying or do Pixies not exchange 1st HD with a class level?

It was a specific statement. I'd say it overrides the general.
    My latest homebrew: Majokko base class and Spellcaster Dilettante feats for D&D 3.5 and Races as Classes for PTU.

Currently Playing
    Raiatari Eikibe - Ghostfoot's RHOD Righteous Resistance

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

SRD says:

Creatures with 1 or less HD replace their monster levels with their character levels. The monster loses the attack bonus, saving throw bonuses, skills, and feats granted by its 1 monster HD and gains the attack bonus, save bonuses, skills, feats, and other class abilities of a 1st-level character of the appropriate class.
    Maybe it was different in 3.0?

EDIT: I'm away from my books right now, I'll have to go home and check p. 290 of the MM.
    Last edited by Telonius; 2009-11-20 at 03:00 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

By 3.5 RAW, only creatures with 1 RHD or less can exchange that RHD (or partial RHD) for their first class level. All other creatures must have their full RHD applied.

The quoted text appears to have been revised (by errata, I assume) in the most up-to-date SRD:

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Starting Level of a Monster PC

Monsters suitable for play have a level adjustment given in their statistics. Add a monster’s level adjustment to its Hit Dice and class levels to get the creature’s effective character level, or ECL. Effectively, monsters with a level adjustment become multiclass character when they take class levels. A creature’s “monster class” is always a favored class, and the creature never takes XP penalties for having it.

Hit Dice and Class Levels

Creatures with 1 or less HD replace their monster levels with their character levels. The monster loses the attack bonus, saving throw bonuses, skills, and feats granted by its 1 monster HD and gains the attack bonus, save bonuses, skills, feats, and other class abilities of a 1st-level character of the appropriate class.

Characters with more than 1 Hit Die because of their race do not get a feat for their first class level as members of the common races do, and they do not multiply the skill points for their first class level by four. Instead, they have already received a feat for their first Hit Die because of race, and they have already multiplied their racial skill points for their first Hit Die by four.
    Note that it no longer applies to just humanoids, but creatures in general.

Even more specifically, the monster listing for Pixie includes:

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Pixies As Characters

A pixie character exchanges its 1 HD of fey for its first class level.
    Last edited by Duke of URL; 2009-11-20 at 03:02 PM.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Refer to my Sig. That also applies to Custserve, Sage, and Skip.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
    Refer to my Sig. That also applies to Custserve, Sage, and Skip.
    Ok, but it is, this time, at least. Just because it's in FAQ doesn't mean it's not also in RAW
    Last edited by Moriato; 2009-11-20 at 06:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    What does "too evil" mean, anyway? Too evil compared to what? Is there a Recommended Daily Allowance of evil?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Moriato View Post
    Ok, but it is, this time, at least. Just because it's in FAQ doesn't mean it's not also in RAW
    Do you think it needs to be changed to FAQ != RAW? Because I thought that was understood.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

The text referenced on page 290 of the Monster Manual is:
    Humanoids and Class Levels: Creatures with 1 or less HD
    replace their monster levels with their character levels.
    Skip is apparently reasoning that the bolded paragraph header restricts the rule following it to humanoids. I don't think this is valid reasoning, and the SRD and things like the Pixie As Characters section back me up. Skip is mistaken in this case.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Note that this is also specifically mentioned in the description of the Humanoid creature type:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD - Humanoid Type
    Humanoids with 1 Hit Die exchange the features of their humanoid Hit Die for the class features of a PC or NPC class. Humanoids of this sort are presented as 1st-level warriors, which means that they have average combat ability and poor saving throws.
    No other creature type contains this clause, however that may be a holdover from 3.0. I believe the more general rule about 1 HD creatures should take priority.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

i believe it's a hold over from 3.0, at least regarding Savage Species where pixies (a 5 level monster class) don't get to retrain the one HD they have.

the main reasoning is probably because it's a racial HD and not the normal warrior level goblins, kobolds and such are usually given by default. i do believe it was revoked so that the general rule is that a 1 HD monster can retrain that HD to be a class level though.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    My rule of thumb: Ignore Skip Williams.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.