New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Default Optimizing slings?

so is there any way to make a sling not suck?
    another thread made me think about this..

Is there any way to optimize a sling?
    I know there is a 3.0 halfling prestige class from races of fareun... but what else?
    Last edited by RagnaroksChosen; 2009-11-20 at 04:29 PM.
    When the end comes i shall remember you.

I sorry i fail Englimish...(appologise for Spelling/Grammer Errors) Please don't correct my spelling or grammer eaither.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Optimizing slings?

You can get special ammo, to add alchemical fire/holy water/etc dmg. Still not awesome, but hey, anything beats 1d3, right?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

A nice high Str score and a size larger sling maybe?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

slings get jipped it apears... not even a rapid reload like feat for em...

what about greek slingers i meen realy.. made me sad... are there any sling only feats in 3.5

I sorry i fail Englimish...(appologise for Spelling/Grammer Errors) Please don't correct my spelling or grammer eaither.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

There's a nice Explosive Sling from the MIC. Does an extra 2d6 damage to both the target and anyone standing near him.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
    There's a nice Explosive Sling from the MIC. Does an extra 2d6 damage to both the target and anyone standing near him.
    That's actually kinda cool.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Slings are poorly represented in 3.5, though they are still pretty useful for applying your full Strength yet having more range than thrown weapons do. There are a couple of neat slings out there, though, like the Stunshot Sling (stun with a save DC set by the attack roll), the Warsling with its x4 crit mod and the Sling of the Dire Wind, which, when combined with Elemental Lodestones and Dungeonsmasher Fighter ACF, can deal 20d6+4xStr mod at 20th.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

As I said last time someone asked, by RAW Aptitude Weapon works with Rapid Reload.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RagnaroksChosen View Post
    slings get jipped it apears... not even a rapid reload like feat for em...
    Waitaminnit -- you mean that they don't fire as often as bows do? I've never seen any indication that they're slow to use.

As for "making slings not suck", a variant of Brutal Throw feat would help, so they're not MAD.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grumman View Post
    As I said last time someone asked, by RAW Aptitude Weapon works with Rapid Reload.
    As would Hand Crossbow Focus, which'll roll WF in with your Rapid Reload.
    Last edited by Cieyrin; 2009-11-20 at 04:53 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    As would Hand Crossbow Focus, which'll roll WF in with your Rapid Reload.

err I guess i should have specified aptitude aside.

Dimers:
    Quote Originally Posted by srd
    Your Strength modifier applies to damage rolls when you use a sling, just as it does for thrown weapons. You can fire, but not load, a sling with one hand. Loading a sling is a move action that requires two hands and provokes attacks of opportunity.

You can hurl ordinary stones with a sling, but stones are not as dense or as round as bullets. Thus, such an attack deals damage as if the weapon were designed for a creature one size category smaller than you and you take a -1 penalty on attack rolls.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

PF has the Halfling Sling-staff as a free weapon proficiency for halflings - it's a 1d8 (or 1d6 for small) x3 weapon with an 80ft range that can be used as a club in melee. Still the horrible move-action loading issues, however.

Really, the only times I use a sling are on a very low-level character who can't afford a light crossbow. There just isn't enough support for it to be good for much else.

Oh - and Weapons of Legacy has a legacy item sling that turns your bullets into boulders, eventually dealing 4d6 base damage, along with whatever else it gets. I thought that was nifty :)
    Handbooks: (Hosted on the new MixMax forums)
    [3.5] The Poison Handbook
    [3.5] (New) Master of Shrouds Handbook
    [3.5 Base Class] Healer's Handbook

Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Strategos and Jumilk for the awesome Iron Chef trophies!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Akal Saris View Post
    Oh - and Weapons of Legacy has a legacy item sling that turns your bullets into boulders, eventually dealing 4d6 base damage, along with whatever else it gets. I thought that was nifty :)
    Sling of the Dire Wind, as i previously mentioned.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

if slings are allowed to reload as a bow (aka free action) does that make them Over powered?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

if slings are allowed to reload as a bow (aka free action) does that make them Over powered?
    Possibly for a free, weightless, simple weapon.
    A homebrewed. Sling Rapid Reload feat based on the Crossbow Rapid Reload feat would be appropriate in my view.
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2009-11-20 at 05:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Not particularly. Compared to a bow it has low range, low damage (compared to an archer who either has low-moderate strength or has high wealth), and high weight (if you want much in the way of ammo).

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Hardly. D&D slings are short-ranged and have inferior damage to bows, as well as far less rules support, which makes them the beaten red-haird step child of ranged weapons.

ninja'd
    Last edited by Cieyrin; 2009-11-20 at 05:45 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Archetype Combo List!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

The Bloodstorm Blade can be adapted for halfling sling wielders, allowing them to reload the slin as a free action with one hand.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Magical sling ammo:
    • Blight Stone (MIC p.153)
    • Bullet of Sound (MH p.41)
    • Glitter Stone (MIC p.161)
    • Stench Stone (MIC p.186)

As well as the Explosive Sling already mentioned, there is the Stunshot Sling (MIC p.60).

The PHB II has the Penetrating Shot feat, which allows you to make a 60 ft line attack with a sling.

...also, the Halfling Paragon class (UA) gives +2 damage with thrown weapons and slings at 2nd level.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

Every night, load 50 slings. Hang them on a belt like a grass skirt. Get the Quick draw feat. Bam. Full Sling attack.
    GMs 3.5, cWoD, Rogue Trader, Monsterhearts, The Pool, and Fudge. Narrativist, wacky builder, and dancer.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

The nice kicker for the Bloodstorm Blade prestige class adaptation (in addition to the free reload of slings --> full iterative attacks with them and the Quick Draw feat as a bonus feat) is that you can actually trigger Iron Heart strikes with a sling attack as well. :D

They do take some "interpretation" by your DM but according to the adaptation text sling usage is supposed to effectively be identical to throwing a melee weapon for them with all the normal features of the bloodstorm blade. Thus, for example... you could make a strike of perfect clarity with a sling and deal your normal damage + 100 points... *shrug* ;)

Dazing Strike can be great as a ranged attack... especially if you've got a decent strength modifier and Disarming Strike is like having the ranged disarm feat for free. Finishing Move rocks as a ranged attack... dealing an extra 4d6, 6d6 or 14d6 damage depending on the current state of the creatures HP. Lightning Throw applies as well... dealing + 12d6 damage to all creatures in a 30' line (some interpretation would have to be applied there, we allow a 30' line from the 1st target... *shrug*).
    Last edited by Ryfte; 2009-11-20 at 07:08 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfte View Post
    The nice kicker for the Bloodstorm Blade prestige class adaptation (in addition to the free reload of slings --> full iterative attacks with them and the Quick Draw feat as a bonus feat) is that you can actually trigger Iron Heart strikes with a sling attack as well. :D

They do take some "interpretation" by your DM but according to the adaptation text sling usage is supposed to effectively be identical to throwing a melee weapon for them with all the normal features of the bloodstorm blade. Thus, for example... you could make a strike of perfect clarity with a sling and deal your normal damage + 100 points... *shrug* ;)

Dazing Strike can be great as a ranged attack... especially if you've got a decent strength modifier and Disarming Strike is like having the ranged disarm feat for free. Finishing Move rocks as a ranged attack... dealing an extra 4d6, 6d6 or 14d6 damage depending on the current state of the creatures HP. Lightning Throw applies as well... dealing + 12d6 damage to all creatures in a 30' line (some interpretation would have to be applied there, we allow a 30' line from the 1st target... *shrug*).
    Pretty cool, unfortunatly by the same interpretation wouldn't you have to loose a prepared iron heart manouver every single time you use the free reload sling feature? I'm sure any sane DM would ignore this, but RAW I think its sadly true.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Boci View Post
    Pretty cool, unfortunatly by the same interpretation wouldn't you have to loose a prepared iron heart manouver every single time you use the free reload sling feature? I'm sure any sane DM would ignore this, but RAW I think its sadly true.
    I don't believe so. The "free reload" is merely part of the prestige class effectively while the class ability that allows the use of a martial strike is different. At least... that's how we've interpreted it, lol.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    As well as the Explosive Sling already mentioned, there is the Stunshot Sling (MIC p.60).
    And since the Save DC (vs. stun) of this item scales with character level, it's actually pretty awesome.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

With the explosive sling there are also advantages to adding enchantments to the sling which add status effects due to the fact they will affect all targets that are damaged... or at least have a chance to do so.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm... How much would it cost to combine the explody and stunning and boulder slings into one sling?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    Hmm... How much would it cost to combine the explody and stunning and boulder slings into one sling?
    The "Pebbles to Boulders" property is only found on a single legacy sling (i.e. Sling of Dire Winds) from the Weapons of Legacy book (3.5). I haven't seen it anywhere else or listed with an actual enhancement bonus rating like +X for figuring cost. It's scalar based on level though and effectively increases your "weapon size category" by +1 for every 4 levels... thus a medium character ends up with 4d6 damage at 20th level. It's got a bunch of other stuff as well. The explosive sling and the stunning sling are the same in so much as they aren't "standard" enchantments found as ranged or melee weapon properties as they're written. There is an exploding property that has different characterstics than the sling though... weaker I think and dealing 2d4 as opposed to 2d6. *shrug*
    Last edited by Ryfte; 2009-11-20 at 08:26 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfte View Post
    weaker I think and dealing 2d6 as opposed to 2d6. *shrug*
    Typo? I think the property is in complete warrior. Its +2 I think.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Boci View Post
    Typo? I think the property is in complete warrior. Its +2 I think.
    Yeah, my bad... it's 2d4 as opposed to 2d6, lol. :D

Edit: Of course all your melee buddies hate you if you use any explosive weapon as they're not selective, lol.
    Last edited by Ryfte; 2009-11-20 at 08:28 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Well, a Stunshot Sling is 7,800 gp and a normal +1 sling is 2,300gp - so it would be reasonable to rule that the Stunshot property costs +5,500gp.

The Explosive Sling is 36,300gp; +5,500gp = 41,800gp.