Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Level 20 Builds

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Level 20 Builds

Okay, I'm looking for any really interesting builds for a level 20 game. The only requirements are no infinite loops, and while I have a couple ideas, none of them really inspire me. The build doesn't have to be practical at level 1-19, only level 20.

Oh, and it's 26 point buy, if that matters.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Level 20 Builds

Go for a shield slam build. I can't find the actual build right now, but it culminates in you charging, shield slamming everyone near you, knocking them down, knocking them back, and doing massive damage. Sounded fun.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

The Colony character: Derek Johnson (retired)
    2e anybody? character: Maksil (retired)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Hmmm...does sound fun. If I can find the build, I might even do it.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    Satomi by Elagune

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Low point-buys require you to go either high-template, or SAD classes.

I suggest going ethergaunt 20. Then starting into factotum 11 (with Practiced Manifester), then more wizard.

What about factotum 11/bard 1/sublime chord 9?

Factotum 8/totemist 10/warblade 2?

Factotum 11/warmind 9?

Dragonwrought kobold (web enhancement) psychic warrior 10/illithid slayer 10, with expansion, compression Jotunbrud (find a way to get the [human] subtype), and the Touchstone feat from Sandstorm? Maybe add in Stoneblessed (goliath) some levels of barbarian for Mountain Rage? See how many size categories above Colossal you can get, while still counting as Diminutive. Use Dragonwrought to qualify for epic feats pre-epic.

Wizard 10/bard 1/sublime chord 1/ultimate magus 8?

Psion 10/metamind 10, then take another 5 levels in psion (while abusing your infinite pp using CPsi) then take a level in wilder, then go anarchic initiate to continue increasing your MLs on both sides using wild surge, then once you've finished off the PrC, find a dual-manifesting PrC and go from there.

Commoner 1/dread necromancer 19, with Infested with Chickens and spells such as Fell-Drain/Fell-Animate consumptive field, with that feat that makes the undead you animate explode when killed? Make a thrower build.

Really, you'll want to be a caster class. Almost nothing else is worth it in epic.
    Last edited by Lycanthromancer; 2009-11-21 at 02:31 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Those do look interesting. Let's put a little perspective: we have at the moment a god good arcanist, a cleric/psion/psionic theruge, and possibly a ranged combat build as well, so I thought I'd be the frontline combatant of some sort, though my only real limitation is that I want to go into battle and tear stuff up. Druid, Cleric, ToB, MoI, hell, if it works, Truenamer.

We're probably not going to get to Epic, at least not initially. From what the Dm seems to be saying, we'd be doing a series of one-shots.
    Last edited by Tavar; 2009-11-21 at 02:34 AM.
    Satomi by Elagune

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Warblade 20. You know you want to.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tackyhillbillu View Post
    Well, yeah. Actually, my initial ideas are all ToB oriented. Like, finally using the Master of the Nine, or the eternal Blade. But I realized, now would also be the perfect time to play those impractical builds. You know, the ones that don't hit their stride till later levels. Hence, this thread. Still, it's not like I won't have a backup option.
    Satomi by Elagune

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Wizard 20? Druid 20? Cleric 20?

Just getting those out of the way for everyone.
    Internet's out. Updates ETA Saturday.

"Nothing says love like being hugged to death by a Water Orc."

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    On an unrelated note, Tanaric is awesome. End of story.

Avatar by CrimsonAngel. My avatar appears to have gone AWOL in my absence. Investigations are pending.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, I realize that doing 20 levels of Class x is possible, but I want to try and do something different. Something Unusual. Possibly with fun and not often used PrC's.
    Satomi by Elagune

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tackyhillbillu View Post
    Dual Stance. *drool*
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

11. - Top - End - #11

How about a Thri-Kreen build with Warblade / Cavestalker 4 / Telflammar Shadowlord 4? Pick up the Shadow jump maneuvers, MWF feats and Oversized TWF, then teleport around, gibbing everything with multiple quad-wielded spiked chain full attacks?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

It's like Christmas come early, only your present is sixty feet of death-on-a-chain instead of a pair of socks.
    Last edited by Tanaric; 2009-11-21 at 03:11 AM.
    Internet's out. Updates ETA Saturday.

"Nothing says love like being hugged to death by a Water Orc."

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    On an unrelated note, Tanaric is awesome. End of story.

Avatar by CrimsonAngel. My avatar appears to have gone AWOL in my absence. Investigations are pending.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Sound like fun, but I recognize neither the cavestalker or the Telflammar Shadowlord. Let's give a bit more structure: I essentially have all non-stetting 3.5 books, excluding It's cold outside, it's warm outside, cityscape, and races of destiny. I think that covers it.
    Satomi by Elagune

14. - Top - End - #14

On second thought: make one of them a Mouthpick (Lords of Madness) spiked chain and you can quintuple-wield them.

ETA: Cavestalker is from Drow of the Underdark and Telflammar Shadowlord is from the Faerun book Unapproachable East.
    Last edited by Grumman; 2009-11-21 at 03:16 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

You could make your DM throw something at you by going Druid, and then Planar Shepherd.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

simple charge build with the multi-spring-attack-feat-thing from PHB2? the only thing scarier than a melee character who can ram a hole in a dragon is one that can ram holes in 3. and it works with just about any front line class, you should check to see how that works with psionic lion's charge
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

gnome_4ever:

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

unfortunately, due to the wording on Spring attack and charge, the two cannot be used together. Nice try, though.
    Satomi by Elagune

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

You might make a shifter character and take a few levels in the Warshaper PrC from Complete Warrior.
    Immunity to Critical hits and Sneak attacks at first level, plus the ability to grow any natural weapon you want. Then at second level, your CON and STR go up by 2. That's not a +2 bonus...they just, ya know, go up by 2.

19. - Top - End - #19

You'll get gibbed pretty fast by your DM but mixing Wiz X/ Ardent 1 (Complete Psionics)/ Subverted Psion 1(Heroes of Horror Web Enhancement)/Tainted Scholar 2 will make you a beast no matter what you do so long as you wrack up the taint.
    Doc Roc: We're going to eat ourselves.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

Wiz 11/Swiftblade 9 is kinda fun. Two standard actions per round, 14 BaB, Great miss chances almost always active, or always if you persisten a haste at the start of each day(it can't be dispelled), great mobility and 9th level spells. What's not to like?
    Great avatar by Serpentine!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by weenie View Post
    Wiz 11/Swiftblade 9 is kinda fun. Two standard actions per round, 14 BaB, Great miss chances almost always active, or always if you persisten a haste at the start of each day(it can't be dispelled), great mobility and 9th level spells. What's not to like?
    Hmmm... I was thinking about making a Sorc (or Wizard) 6/Abj Champ 5/ Swiftblade 9. Add persistent better AC and HD and BaB to when miss chance fails.
    Last edited by Roc Ness; 2009-11-21 at 06:23 AM.

Pokedex #999: Roc Ness
    Avvie by Serpentine.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

That does mean you miss out on a very nice capstone, cheap timestops are nothing to sneeze at.

If you want combat wreckage at high level you'll be wanting to Gish for the extra bang for your buck, Cloistered Cleric with War domain and a four figure buff list, DMM cheese and Dweomercheater optional to scale with the rest of the party.
    Give them bread and circusses and the plebs wont rise against you. Give adventurers dungeons and trapped chests and they won't waste time looking to ransack your home and kill your wife.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Look for PrC's with ludicrous prerequisites or powerful capstones.

I like Half Elf Bard 8/Arcane Archer 2/Sublime Chord 2/Whatever 8.

You don't care about AA's painful prerequisites because you're not playing at low levels, you don't care about being forced to be a half-elf because the Bard substitution levels are pretty nice, and you don't care about the lost caster levels because of you're a Sublime Chord and you get 9th level spells anyway.

In exchange for a bunch of drawbacks you don't care about, you get to shoot people in the face with Antimagic Field and Greater Fireburst from behind a Dispelling Screen.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

You could try egoist 10/illithid slayer 10, using a pimped-out psicrystal, psionic lion's charge, metamorphosis, and fission to hit your enemies with 4 combat monsters at once. Make it a mounted charging build. Maybe go d'vati for even more bodies hitting the field (one d'vati fission riding another? I'm not 100% on how d'vati works; anybody got a reasonable description?). Psicrystal Affinity, Linked Power, Mounted Combat, Spirited Charge, Ride by Attack, Two-Weapon Fighting, Power Attack, Shock Trooper, Combat Reflexes, Robilar's Gambit. You probably won't get all of these on one build, but pick and choose the ones you want.

Dual-wield suppression, collision, manyfanged lances (one of which has speed, then get a dancing lance, and an animated bashing heavy shield). Find a high-Str race with 4 or more arms (or get some grafts) and two-hand them. Combine Spirited Charge, Ride-by Attack, Power Attack, Shock Trooper, and TWF for incredible amounts of damage on a charge. Ride a 12-headed psihydracrystal (it can fly, has extra natural armor, and retains all of its other psicrystal granted abilities as well).

Dump Str and Dex, except for feat prereqs. With metamorphosis, you'll never have to worry about utility, either. Combine with vigor, share pain, expansion, temporal acceleration, psionic telekinetic sphere, psionic iron body, oak body, shadow body, timeless body, that power from CPsi that summons a cerebrilith, and fusion for tons of fun even when you're not mounted.

Most battles, all you need is a Quickened metamorphosis, (see if Metamagic rods work with powers), then fission Linked with another fun buff (like expansion, shared with your psicrystal). For big battles where you want to seriously hurt something but don't want to go near the enemy, toss out a temporal acceleration (share with psicrystal), psionic telekinetic sphere around yourself, fission to split yourself in two for double the manifesting, then metamorphosis, iron body, oak body, on your psicrystal, summon a cerebrilith, then fusion it with your psicrystal for massively-boosted stats. (You can do so from within the telekinetic sphere through the Channel Powers ability.)
    Last edited by Lycanthromancer; 2009-11-21 at 08:57 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

I don't have a full 20 at the moment, but Pixie Rogue 10/Swordsage X/Dervish Y with Savvy Rogue (I think it's called) to deliver massive amounts of STR damage with a really pumped DEX.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

If your DM allows you to refluff ur-priest a bit, go Crusader 4/Swordsage (or any other class with a good Will save) 1/Ur-Priest 2/Ruby Knight Vindicator 10/Crusader +3. +17 BAB, 9th level divine spells, you can turn undead so you can use DMM (as well as the RKV ability to get swift actions), you can get a 9th level maneuver.
    ithilanor on Steam.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    Hmmm...does sound fun. If I can find the build, I might even do it.
    Captain America, by PhoenixInferno:

Code:
    CL IL Feats Maneuvers Stances
    1 Crusader 1 1 Shield Specialization, Improved Shield Bash Crusader's Strike, Charging Minotaur, Vanguard Strike, Leading the Attack, Douse the Flames Martial Spirit
    2 Crusader 2 2 Leading the Charge
    3 Fighter 1 2.5 Agile Shield Fighter, Stone Power
    4 Fighter 2 3 Shield Sling
    5 Crusader 3 4 Stone Vise
    6 Crusader 4 5 Improved Unarmed Strike Leading the Attack -> White Raven Tactics
    7 Fighter 3 5.5
    8 Fighter 4 6 Active Shield Defense
    9 Crusader 5 7 Superior Unarmed Strike Shield Block
    10 Crusader 6 8
    11 Crusader 7 9 Foehammer
    12 Crusader 8 10 Snap Kick Charging Minotaur -> Radiant Charge Thicket of Blades
    13 Crusader 9 11 Rallying Strike
    14 Crusader 10 12
    15 Crusader 11 13 Combat Reflexes Shield Counter
    16 Crusader 12 14 Stone Vise -> Entangling Blade
    17 Crusader 13 15 White Raven Hammer
    18 Crusader 14 16 Leadership Aura of Triumph
    19 Crusader 15 17 Mountain Tombstone Strike
    20 Crusader 16 18 Rallying Strike -> Strike of Righteous Vitality
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Looks interesting. Decisions, decisions.
    Satomi by Elagune

29. - Top - End - #29

Something I personally would find fun...

Wizard 1/Sword Sage 2/Binder 1/Anima Mage 4/Jade Phoenix Mage 7Crinti Shadow Marauder 5

Cheese: Precocious Apprentice for JPM's Spell Requirement

Tricks:
    -Arcane Disciple (War) for Divine Power
    -Anima Mage for easy Persisting of Divine Power, Wraith Strike, Greater Mighty Wallop, Anything Else That Makes Life Good...

Combat Style:

Start of Day: Buff

Round 1: Shadow Jaunt, Shadow Stride, Shadow Blink for 3 full attacks

Round 2: Adaptive Style, Shadow Blink for Maneuver recovery and 1 full attack

Round 3: Repeat round 1 and follow with round 2
    Last edited by Wings of Peace; 2009-11-21 at 03:18 PM.
    Doc Roc: We're going to eat ourselves.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Human, Wild Shape Ranger 5/ Nature's Warrior 1/ Master of Many Forms 10/ Warshaper 4
    Str 13, Dex 9, Con 15, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 8, +5 levels into Wis, +5 Tome of Wis, +5 Manual of Con.
    Track, Power Attack, Combat Reflexes, Endurance, Alertness, Leap Attack, Frozen Wild Shape, Robilar's Gambit, (any feat), Defensive Sweep; Nature's Weapon from Nature's Warrior

Favorite forms will be a War Troll and a 12-headed Cryohydra (via Frozen Wild Shape). Get a melee weapon with Sizing, and a large mighty composite longbow that allows +13 from Str. Be sure to get a Ring of Freedom of Movement, Belt of Magnificense +6, Monk's Belt added to that or changed to Monk's Bracers, and whatever else you think you'll need, all with Wilding Clasps attached.