New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Slight Build Wording

One of my gaming groups disagrees with me on the wording of slight build, specifically on kobolds. The way I read it, a small creature with slight build gets all the benefits of being tiny, such as the size modifier to hit and AC. According to the rest of the group, it ONLY affects squeezing and weapon sizes. We can't come to an agreement.

Please help!
    Last edited by starwoof; 2009-11-21 at 04:20 AM.
    I used to do avatars on request, feel free to use them.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Slight Build Wording

The physical stature of kobolds lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category smaller.
    Whenever a kobold is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as Hide), the kobold is treated as one size smaller if doing so is advantageous to the character. (No bonus to attack and AC.)
    A kobold is also considered to be one size smaller when "squeezing" through a restrictive space. (No bonus to attack and AC.)
    A kobold can use weapons designed for a creature one size smaller without penalty. (No bonus to attack and AC.)
    However, the space and reach of a kobold remain those of a creature of their actual size.
    So I'm pretty sure they are right. It doesn't say anything about actual size or bonuses to attack and AC. Same is for powerful build, if I remember correctly.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Alright, that's good enough for me. I was trying to get a larger bonus for our group's kobold.
    I used to do avatars on request, feel free to use them.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Yeah, Hide is pretty much the only opposed check that gains a benefit from being a smaller size, whereas Powerful Build gets it on Trip, Grapple, etc.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.